Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   The Korg Arp 2600 FS *Actual Owners* Thread (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1296644-korg-arp-2600-fs-actual-owners-thread.html)

LeChuck 19th September 2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c7sus (Post 14982624)
Using the ARP keyboard. It seems like the gate is not releasing. My only other experience with with a Voyager and a T3 so maybe I'm not fully understanding how this gate is supposed to work. If I turn up the oscillators they are sustaining and not returning to completely quiet.

With the Keyboard On switch engaged the notes are sustaining regardless of VCF and AR settings. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here to get the synth to return to a state where no sound is coming out after releasing a key.

Okay I think I figured it out. The VCF initial frequency was about mid-level so I guess it wasn't returning to a sub-audio state after release. That's not how my Voyager filter behaves!

You should be able to leave the VCF initial frequency there and have silence after the VCA release finishes. My guess was going to be that you had the VCA Initial Gain slider up - that will cause the symptom you describe, and is something that almost everyone goofs at some point. You might also be accidentally routing the VCF to the mixer instead of the VCA (so it is being bypassed).

slowtrain 19th September 2020 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacboy (Post 14982762)
Here are the hard rock cases. KARP fits perfectly inside. They only have rubber feet, no casters, although they could be added if you wanted to.

I need to get rid of these. I am in SF Bay Area. I can't be arsed with packing them up and shipping them, so if someone want to collect for nominal sum or arrange their own shipping, be my guest. Make me an offer.

The UPS store will box them up for you (for a fee)

c7sus 19th September 2020 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck (Post 14982802)
You should be able to leave the VCF initial frequency there and have silence after the VCA release finishes. My guess was going to be that you had the VCA Initial Gain slider up - that will cause the symptom you describe, and is something that almost everyone goofs at some point. You might also be accidentally routing the VCF to the mixer instead of the VCA (so it is being bypassed).

Thanks for the reply. After a little more experimenting I was able to recreate what you are talking about. I was also missing ADSR control over the VCA. I initially started with patch 2, Trumpet/French Horn which is patched as you said from filter to mixer out.

ws9848 19th September 2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacboy (Post 14982762)
Here are the hard rock cases. KARP fits perfectly inside. They only have rubber feet, no casters, although they could be added if you wanted to.

I need to get rid of these. I am in SF Bay Area. I can't be arsed with packing them up and shipping them, so if someone want to collect for nominal sum or arrange their own shipping, be my guest. Make me an offer.

Those are nice cases

saw wave analog 22nd September 2020 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is serial number 77x and good god is it the coolest synth I’ve ever had. Korg utterly nailed it, I’ve just been sitting and staring at it. Some JP8 pads and a 2600 square wave arp... oh mama.

This is one of those obvious instant forever keepers. What a fantastic instrument.

coyote14 26th September 2020 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My ARP2600 has started a new relationship with my Dominion 1, and there really make good things together:

coyote14 26th September 2020 10:09 PM

Everybody says the internal sequencer does not synchronize to external MIDI Clock.

Well, that's true: simple MIDI clock does not sync the ARP2600 arp/seq.

But here's the good news: my Arturia Keystep, when sending MMC message (MIDI Machine Control) synchronise the LFO that drives the sequencer. I think the MMC is necessary, not only a MIDI Clock.

EDIT: it seems that the start phase of the LFO only resets when note on MIDI message are received. Sorry for the mistake.

Daves_not_here 27th September 2020 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEVO1982 (Post 14969375)
Well my 2600 showed up but there’s a gash in the outside Tolex case...:facepalm:

Welcome to the club :facepalm:. Have pictures and documentation ready (and a fair amount of patience):

[email protected]

DEVO1982 27th September 2020 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daves_not_here (Post 15000080)
Welcome to the club :facepalm:. Have pictures and documentation ready (and a fair amount of patience):

[email protected]

Sorry that you’re in the damaged 2600 club...
No one wants to be here after waiting for so long but hopefully they will take care of us all. According to Sweetwater they have communicated my issues back to Korg and are awaiting a resolution that is beneficial to all.
Fingers crossed :facepalm:

Harry Palmer 27th September 2020 03:42 AM

i cant afford the KARP but i feel sorry for those guys who have stumped up a large chunk of cash and have waited god knows how long for the thing to turn up damaged. :facepalm: i would be spitting fire hjghfgg

ekleijn 2nd October 2020 08:12 AM

I just got a message that there is one waiting for me! Picking it up next week in Antwerp. I live in the Netherlands myself. It had been on order since the first day it was announced, back in January. There were times when I thought ‘maybe I should just cancel the order’. But then again, I thought my chances of getting one another way were practically zero, so I decided to wait it out.. :-) When it’s really here next week I’ll post some pics and my serial number.

dannyf 4th October 2020 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekleijn (Post 15012594)
I just got a message that there is one waiting for me! Picking it up next week in Antwerp. I live in the Netherlands myself. It had been on order since the first day it was announced, back in January. There were times when I thought ‘maybe I should just cancel the order’. But then again, I thought my chances of getting one another way were practically zero, so I decided to wait it out.. :-) When it’s really here next week I’ll post some pics and my serial number.

Congrats. You will love it.

OZHALL 4th October 2020 12:40 PM

ARP 2600 video

You might enjoy this short ( < 3 min ) 2600 video that I did yesterday (10/3);

https://youtu.be/Fvybol-5638

If you like, leave me some feedback on the thread.

Jaish 4th October 2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZHALL (Post 15017569)
You might enjoy this short ( < 3 min ) 2600 video that I did yesterday (10/3);

https://youtu.be/Fvybol-5638

If you like, leave me some feedback on the thread.

VERY nice! Thanks for sharing. Did you end up getting a reissue after all, or was the synth on loan for the video?

OZHALL 4th October 2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaish (Post 15017657)
VERY nice! Thanks for sharing. Did you end up getting a reissue after all, or was the synth on loan for the video?

Thanks! I got a reissue. It arrived late June. I love it!

ekleijn 7th October 2020 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekleijn (Post 15012594)

So here we go! I picked it up in Antwerp myself and it's in pristine condition! Mine has serial number 1085. Just started playing around with it now and absolutely loving it so far :-)

Quick question- Is the spring reverb supposed to sound out of phase? It was the first thing I noticed once I turned it up. It cancels out itself in mono, unless I use it on only one channel then it comes through. Seems right if it is only one spring tank, but I figured I'd double check here.

dannyf 7th October 2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekleijn (Post 15024389)
So here we go! I picked it up in Antwerp myself and it's in pristine condition! Mine has serial number 1085. Just started playing around with it now and absolutely loving it so far :-)

Quick question- Is the spring reverb supposed to sound out of phase? It was the first thing I noticed once I turned it up. It cancels out itself in mono, unless I use it on only one channel then it comes through. Seems right if it is only one spring tank, but I figured I'd double check here.

I don't think so...... sound example?

In mine it gives a lush beautiful sound.....mono or stereo

ekleijn 7th October 2020 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyf (Post 15024822)
I don't think so...... sound example?

In mine it gives a lush beautiful sound.....mono or stereo

Here's an audio file. First play is only with reverb on R channel. Then only L channel. And finally both together. If you play that last one in mono you can hear both channel cancel each other out and hardly anything remains.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with an ARP 2600 before this one so if it's me let me know. This is a simple patch and I've set both reverb sliders to about halfway.

charlieclouser 7th October 2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekleijn (Post 15024389)

Mine is like this also. Sure does sound quite wide through the built in speakers! But cancels in mono when I use the hardware outputs.

ekleijn 7th October 2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieclouser (Post 15025353)
Mine is like this also. Sure does sound quite wide through the built in speakers! But cancels in mono when I use the hardware outputs.

Ah thanks for clearing that up. Must be the way in which is is constructed then. I will try and do two mono takes tomorrow and will phase invert one, to see how the reverb responds to that.

Oxix52 7th October 2020 10:42 PM

Mine mostly cancels in mono also. Is that to be expected, though. Is it possible to get a true stereo reverb from one spring tank? I really don’t know much about spring reverbs. I’m assuming one side is inverted to get that wide image.

spacboy 8th October 2020 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxix52 (Post 15025806)
Mine mostly cancels in mono also. Is that to be expected, though. Is it possible to get a true stereo reverb from one spring tank? I really don’t know much about spring reverbs. I’m assuming one side is inverted to get that wide image.

Its totally expected, and that is how the original worked too.

reverb tank is mono. Unmolested reverb output mixed with dry output for left. 180 out of phase (using unity gain inverting op-amp) mixed with dry for right.

If you sum them which is what a stereo to mono input will do, then you cancel out the reverb. Not totally gone as the inverting op-amp will introduce a small delay.

ekleijn 8th October 2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacboy (Post 15026072)
Its totally expected, and that is how the original worked too.

reverb tank is mono. Unmolested reverb output mixed with dry output for left. 180 out of phase (using unity gain inverting op-amp) mixed with dry for right.

If you sum them which is what a stereo to mono input will do, then you cancel out the reverb. Not totally gone as the inverting op-amp will introduce a small delay.

Yes thanks. I had a hunch that this was what was going on, but not having spent a whole lot of time on the original I wasn't sure. Glad to know it's not a defect ;-)

coyote14 10th October 2020 06:01 PM

Just in case: I had to re-caliber my ARP2600FS. the tuning was not constant on the whole range of the keyboard. the volt/octave traking was not good.

I used this document:
http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Arp/Ar...p2600trims.gif

I removed the small rubber cap and adjusted the volt/oct setting with a philips screwdriver. It is much better now.:cowbell:

OZHALL 11th October 2020 02:04 PM

One more video on the Z506 Swiss Daisy DSP as an addon to the 2600 for digital delay and an extra VCA/ADSR.

https://youtu.be/k3cmTtl3y4E

Again, let me know what you think.

lindelltodd 11th October 2020 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZHALL (Post 15033324)
One more video on the Z506 Swiss Daisy DSP as an addon to the 2600 for digital delay and an extra VCA/ADSR.

https://youtu.be/k3cmTtl3y4E

Again, let me know what you think.

Sounds great! Thanks for doing these demos.

mentalik 12th October 2020 12:00 AM

There’s a KARP 2600 in Los Angeles Craigslist right now.

DEVO1982 12th October 2020 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mentalik (Post 15034260)
There’s a KARP 2600 in Los Angeles Craigslist right now.

It’s $6500, sounds like a good deal.
It’s not mine by the way howdy

Michailov 13th October 2020 01:36 PM

I just Got mine delivered today... showed up on Thomann Friday a week ago.

Spider76 13th October 2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michailov (Post 15037142)
I just Got mine delivered today... showed up on Thomann Friday a week ago.

Wow, just a regular Thomann ad? Was it new or a return/B-stock? I check Thomann fairly often (though not daily) and totally missed it. I imagine it will have stayed online for just a few hours before you snatched it. Congrats!

Anyway, I've seen a couple show up here and there once in a while, it seems some units are still trickling through the supply chain...VERY slowly. Of course, only Korg knows if these are the last delayed units of the "once-in-a-lifetime" production run, or if production is still going on.