Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   The Korg Arp 2600 FS *Actual Owners* Thread (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1296644-korg-arp-2600-fs-actual-owners-thread.html)

Mouls Vern 11th September 2020 05:55 PM

For those of us who have reverb issues or any other issues with the 2600, may god help us all. Shipping this thing back and forth for servicing might create even more problems than what we started with. You might also have to pay for part of the shipping. So don’t throw away those boxes to quickly. Good times :synth: gruudge

Wheezie 11th September 2020 09:33 PM

Mine has a key that does this too. Otherwise it's perfect!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck (Post 14965203)
I notice one of the keys on mine makes a little 'tick' sound when it's pressed. Almost like a normal keyspring sound, but it's more pronounced on this one key. I wish I hadn't noticed this because now I hear it every time.

Anyone know if those kinds of things ever work themselves out? I have a feeling the proper fix would be opening the keyboard up and tweaking/lubing the keyspring or whatever is making that sound. Just curious, I'll try to ignore it in the meantime .. really don't want to open this thing up

touched 12th September 2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangefunk (Post 14966172)
Seems like the serials go over 1000...

Edit: I see some mention previous to this post now...

These will probably be about as rare as hens' beaks. Fortunately I didn't buy as a financial investment.

DEVO1982 13th September 2020 01:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well my 2600 showed up but there’s a gash in the outside Tolex case...:facepalm:

AuntieWarhol 13th September 2020 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEVO1982 (Post 14969375)
Well my 2600 showed up but there’s a gash in the outside Tolex case...:facepalm:

Aww man, that sucks :(

dr_Jezz 13th September 2020 02:11 AM

Quote:

Ouch :( - hope that can be sorted man mezed

TobyB 13th September 2020 02:25 PM

Hen's beaks are pretty common findings ... but hen's teeth ... they like definitive answers to "analogue v's digital" or "is xxxxx better than a Virus Ti" !!!
:)

orangefunk 13th September 2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Yep very surprising that they made this outer case out of such fragile material. Definitely not a flight case in the true sense. Looks nice though! :D

ws9848 13th September 2020 04:51 PM

I got mine yesterday. I was on a waitlist at SW since 1/10. I had given up on it but they called up a week ago Its pretty nice! #757 so it looks like Korg made more than I originally thought.

realtrance 13th September 2020 06:10 PM

Might be pricey (but worth it for an instrument like this), but it would be great if someone made a real flight case, well-padded, no doubt heavy but at least useful for those traveling with a 2600.

If anyone on thread has the original: what did you use for this purpose?

Pustule 14th September 2020 04:54 PM

I've been patching into an external delay pedal from the mixer out on the front panel, then back into it on the panel. I don't have any XLR cables currently to test, but are the XLR out's better to run into external effects? The panel output overloads the delay pretty easily.

jdkJake 14th September 2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pustule (Post 14972355)
I've been patching into an external delay pedal from the mixer out on the front panel, then back into it on the panel. I don't have any XLR cables currently to test, but are the XLR out's better to run into external effects? The panel output overloads the delay pretty easily.

Potentially. Really depends upon the pedal.

The front panel left/right output jacks have a max output of +9 dBu @ 10 kΩ load. The XLR jacks have a max output of +4 dBu @ 600Ω load.

Since most pedals are not able to handle a balanced signal, you will not be able to get close to that +4 dBu output. The actual loading of the signal will be pedal dependent as well.

What pedals are you using?

Pustule 14th September 2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake (Post 14972400)
Potentially. Really depends upon the pedal.

The front panel left/right output jacks have a max output of +9 dBu @ 10 kΩ load. The XLR jacks have a max output of +4 dBu @ 600Ω load.

Since most pedals are not able to handle a balanced signal, you will not be able to get close to that +4 dBu output. The actual loading of the signal will be pedal dependent as well.

What pedals are you using?

Thanks for the reply! To correct myself from the previous post, I'm actually using the output of the VCF or VCA, then sending it back to the input right above "mixer" before the L/R outputs. Maybe that's why i'm noticing that the signal is pretty hot.

Good to know about the output difference. I've been running it into a Roland Space Echo re-150, and sometimes a Moogerfooger delay also. I've got some XLR to 1/4" cables arriving soon, so i'll give them a try.

Vinw 14th September 2020 09:35 PM

I’ve had a lot of fun patching delays using adapters patch cable —> jack, and not necessarily back in the arp but sometimes directly on the mixing desk, in parallel of the dry signal.

Funnily, I loved the Catalinbread Belle Epoch delay way more than my MF-104 that I found too dark, and had level issues with my RE-301 (but I’ll have to retry with that one, and also possibly change its tape ).

Cheers

jdkJake 14th September 2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pustule (Post 14972447)
Thanks for the reply! To correct myself from the previous post, I'm actually using the output of the VCF or VCA, then sending it back to the input right above "mixer" before the L/R outputs. Maybe that's why i'm noticing that the signal is pretty hot.

Good to know about the output difference. I've been running it into a Roland Space Echo re-150, and sometimes a Moogerfooger delay also. I've got some XLR to 1/4" cables arriving soon, so i'll give them a try.

In that case, you can always route through an attenuator prior to hitting the pedal. For example, send the output of the VCF or VCA into Jack 6 of the voltage processor and then route the inverted output into the pedal. This will allow you to attenuated the signal before it hits the pedal.

Bet that RE-150 sounds mighty interesting.

jdkJake 14th September 2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinw (Post 14972912)
I’ve had a lot of fun patching delays using adapters patch cable —> jack, and not necessarily back in the arp but sometimes directly on the mixing desk, in parallel of the dry signal.

Funnily, I loved the Catalinbread Belle Epoch delay way more than my MF-104 that I found too dark, and had level issues with my RE-301 (but I’ll have to retry with that one, and also possibly change its tape ).

Cheers

I like routing out of the VCA to a pedal and then back into the ARP by overriding the VCF input to the mixer. This sets up a VCA parallel path with dry as well as wet/semi-wet feeds under full control of the mixer. Allows me to use the reverb as well.

I have heard good things about the Belle Epoch but have not tried one myself. How well does it do with line level signals?

spacboy 15th September 2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realtrance (Post 14970539)
Might be pricey (but worth it for an instrument like this), but it would be great if someone made a real flight case, well-padded, no doubt heavy but at least useful for those traveling with a 2600.

I have had Anvil make two cases for mine, one each for the main unit and the keyboard. Turned out perfect. Means they have all the correct dimensions now too.
I took a lot of time with Anvil to make sure the foam had all the correct recesses to allow for the various protrusions

I also had Hard Rock make a pair of cases for a friend who was still waiting for his at the time I ordered them.

Then he got told he wasn't going to get one so I am stuck with those as my now ex-friend did not do the right thing and would not pay me for them and dispose of them himself. So I will put those up for sale. I'll try and post pictures later.

LeChuck 15th September 2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake (Post 14973067)

Indeed, I am having tape echo envy! I've been after an RE-201 for awhile, but since they're so expensive I'm holding out for one in really good cosmetic shape (easier said than done). I doubt I will really use many effects with my 2600, but a tape echo is one of them for sure :cowbell:

Pustule 15th September 2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake (Post 14973067)
In that case, you can always route through an attenuator prior to hitting the pedal. For example, send the output of the VCF or VCA into Jack 6 of the voltage processor and then route the inverted output into the pedal. This will allow you to attenuated the signal before it hits the pedal.

That's a great tip, thank you! I tried this out last evening and it seemed to be much easier to keep the space echo input from maxing out. I'll give your 2nd suggestion a try today too, thanks again!

Tape echo and the Arp 2600 pair up so nicely... they are made for each other! The second I plugged it in, it transported me into some weird 1970's Nic Raicevic / Magnetic Web vortex.

Spencypants 15th September 2020 11:26 PM

Well I got some great news yesterday, I have a CONFIRMED 2600 coming my way! I have an early October arrival date. I'm so excited! rockout

OZV 17th September 2020 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realtrance (Post 14970539)

Way back in the day (shortly after dirt was invented) when I was on the road, I used nothing more than the case it comes in for about five years worth of travels. Never had anything other than the Tolex edges getting bunged up a bit. She's a tough girl and can handle life on the road all by herself. You don't have to treat her like a princess.
Of course, I kept a close eye on the roadies.:cop:

lindelltodd 18th September 2020 05:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Received mine the other day. Serial 53x manufacture date 02/2020. Lots of fun so far, definitely has me playing differently with the sounds I've come up with.

Reverb was DOA, and found out today that this was why...

All the jostling around from Japan in February to the east coast of the US in September did a number on the delicate pins at the end of the springs.

That being said everything else arrived in perfect shape, a freight service dropped the pallet off in my driveway early Saturday morning.

Korg doesn't have the spring reverb in stock right now, but they offered to send a replacement when it's back in stock. I went ahead and ordered a replacement of the same specs so I don't have to wait an undisclosed amount of backorder time. Will be nice if they reimburse me, but it was only $25 bucks so no huge loss if not.

Easy enough to remove the faceplate, 6 screws on the front, the handle on top, and a long screw in the bottom-center. Will be an easy swap once the new tank arrives.

touched 18th September 2020 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindelltodd (Post 14980791)
Received mine the other day. Serial 53x manufacture date 02/2020. Lots of fun so far, definitely has me playing differently with the sounds I've come up with.

Reverb was DOA, and found out today that this was why...

All the jostling around from Japan in February to the east coast of the US in September did a number on the delicate pins at the end of the springs.

That being said everything else arrived in perfect shape, a freight service dropped the pallet off in my driveway early Saturday morning.

Korg doesn't have the spring reverb in stock right now, but they offered to send a replacement when it's back in stock. I went ahead and ordered a replacement of the same specs so I don't have to wait an undisclosed amount of backorder time. Will be nice if they reimburse me, but it was only $25 bucks so no huge loss if not.

Easy enough to remove the faceplate, 6 screws on the front, the handle on top, and a long screw in the bottom-center. Will be an easy swap once the new tank arrives.

What replacement did you get?

lindelltodd 18th September 2020 06:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by touched (Post 14980831)
What replacement did you get?

The Accutronics 4EB3C1B, if you go to their website they have a key on the products page that breaks down what all of the numbers and letters mean in the model code.

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/

Here's the model that is inside my 2600

leighzi88 18th September 2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c7sus (Post 14982564)
The eagle landed today!

Everything looks great, but I seem to have somehow got the gate stuck open and the filter controls and AR don't seem to be doing a lot. They were initially working and after a few minutes notes began sustaining endlessly.

Are you using midi or the arp keyboard?

c7sus 18th September 2020 10:26 PM

Using the ARP keyboard. It seems like the gate is not releasing. My only other experience with with a Voyager and a T3 so maybe I'm not fully understanding how this gate is supposed to work. If I turn up the oscillators they are sustaining and not returning to completely quiet.

With the Keyboard On switch engaged the notes are sustaining regardless of VCF and AR settings. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here to get the synth to return to a state where no sound is coming out after releasing a key.

Okay I think I figured it out. The VCF initial frequency was about mid-level so I guess it wasn't returning to a sub-audio state after release. That's not how my Voyager filter behaves!

orangefunk 18th September 2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c7sus (Post 14982624)
Using the ARP keyboard. It seems like the gate is not releasing. My only other experience with with a Voyager and a T3 so maybe I'm not fully understanding how this gate is supposed to work. If I turn up the oscillators they are sustaining and not returning to completely quiet.

With the Keyboard On switch engaged the notes are sustaining regardless of VCF and AR settings. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here to get the synth to return to a state where no sound is coming out after releasing a key.

Okay I think I figured it out. The VCF initial frequency was about mid-level so I guess it wasn't returning to a sub-audio state after release. That's not how my Voyager filter behaves!

Yep I am still at that stage... not touched it much since I bought it due to work but got time off so will be heading back into ARPland. :D

roland4387 18th September 2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindelltodd (Post 14980791)

Congrats man! Ours were on the same ship because I’m also a 2/2020 with a serial of 530 something. 536, I think? For whatever reason I got mine in June, though.

spacboy 18th September 2020 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacboy (Post 14973157)
I have had Anvil make two cases for mine, one each for the main unit and the keyboard. Turned out perfect. Means they have all the correct dimensions now too.
I took a lot of time with Anvil to make sure the foam had all the correct recesses to allow for the various protrusions

I also had Hard Rock make a pair of cases for a friend who was still waiting for his at the time I ordered them.

Then he got told he wasn't going to get one so I am stuck with those as my now ex-friend did not do the right thing and would not pay me for them and dispose of them himself. So I will put those up for sale. I'll try and post pictures later.

Here are the hard rock cases. KARP fits perfectly inside. They only have rubber feet, no casters, although they could be added if you wanted to.

I need to get rid of these. I am in SF Bay Area. I can't be arsed with packing them up and shipping them, so if someone want to collect for nominal sum or arrange their own shipping, be my guest. Make me an offer.

spacboy 18th September 2020 11:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And here are my nice Anvil cases, which I am keeping