The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Korg Arp 2600 FS *Actual Owners* Thread
Old 1st August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by piazzolla View Post
Here’s a quick comparison video of the two filter types.

https://youtu.be/TcSIqmdoPDc
Dang! Night and day difference... it just made me realize that my Korg ARP 2600 is broken as mine doesn't change like that between the two filter types (I was wondering why mine was so subtle.) Now I don't know what to do as I would hate to send this huge thing back... also, I really wish you would have shot the video in landscape so we could see all the settings, just in case I'm missing something, but I don't think I am.
Old 1st August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezie View Post
Anyone else still waiting? Glad to see so many people getting their 2600s!
Still waiting. Sweetwater. 8/19 is current date. Fingers crossed.
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Dang! Night and day difference... it just made me realize that my Korg ARP 2600 is broken as mine doesn't change like that between the two filter types (I was wondering why mine was so subtle.) Now I don't know what to do as I would hate to send this huge thing back... also, I really wish you would have shot the video in landscape so we could see all the settings, just in case I'm missing something, but I don't think I am.
Same here! Mine certainly doesn’t have that behavior either. It’s way too much of a pain in the ass to send back, though. Maybe this is one of the issues Korg was referring to when they said this is why it would only be a limited run?
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 View Post
Same here! Mine certainly doesn’t have that behavior either. It’s way too much of a pain in the ass to send back, though. Maybe this is one of the issues Korg was referring to when they said this is why it would only be a limited run?
When you listen to the YT Video, you will hear a large Cutoff offset, rather than a large different in filter characteristic. Mine too, has barely a difference. But when you listen very careful, the Type I one has a little more body while the TypeII filter seems to scream more with resonance. However, these are very settled differences.

But with the example at hand, I would assume that at least one filter is out of calibration.
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same here.
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Probably nothing’s wrong with your arp! This kind of difference happens especially when vco 2 modulating the filter. I also thought that there’s no difference in filters until I tried this kind of patches. I’ll make a video to show what the other settings are and you can compare it with yours. I’m pretty sure yours will do the same.
Old 1st August 2020
Quote:
Probably nothing’s wrong with your arp! This kind of difference happens especially when vco 2 modulating the filter. I also thought that there’s no difference in filters until I tried this kind of patches. I’ll make a video to show what the other settings are and you can compare it with yours. I’m pretty sure yours will do the same.
That would be great if you could shoot a video that shows all of the settings, I really hope that's all it is. If worse comes to worst, and I do have a faulty 2600, I do have a friend who works for the Eurorack company 4MS as a master soldering guy, and he happens to own both a vintage ARP 2600 and an EMS VCS3 both of which he repaired himself, so maybe he could take a look at mine... but I'll wait for the video first!
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Nut

Here’s the second video that shows all the settings. Pretty much nothing happens until I crank up the vco 2 modulation on the filter.

https://youtu.be/wAtxlxu_Yrw

Let me know how it goes.
Old 1st August 2020
Have you guys compared filters with the resonance cranked up? They’re pretty different when the resonance is high like in the video. On mine, the difference without the resonance is more subtle, but it is there.
Old 1st August 2020
Double post
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear

One of the tricky things for this thread is that there is so much info out there about the ARP2600 original that there's not a lot of "discovery" left on the instrument; it would be great if some of the more veteran ARP2600 users here could compile lists of links to such information for general availability for a new generation, less familiar with it!
Old 1st August 2020
OZV
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
One of the tricky things for this thread is that there is so much info out there about the ARP2600 original that there's not a lot of "discovery" left on the instrument; it would be great if some of the more veteran ARP2600 users here could compile lists of links to such information for general availability for a new generation, less familiar with it!
I wish I could help out. I'm 61, bought my ARP 2600 when I was 19, sold it when I was about 40. It's been a long time since I've had my hands on one but I'd love to make some short vids to work through the synth for you younger folks.

So... since I am such a nice guy, if one of you send my your ARP I will do that for you free of charge.

The other option that was utilized back in the day was is to take a hit of acid and then sit down with it for hours and hours: you will better understand its capabilities.
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkpirateradio View Post
While in rec mode press the red momentary switch for a rest. If you hold a key while pressing the momentary switch, you enter a tie.
Awesome! Thank you!! Where is this documented?
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Nut

Right on dude, would be great to have a meet up with our 2600s and share tips/have a beer etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZV View Post
I wish I could help out. I'm 61, bought my ARP 2600 when I was 19, sold it when I was about 40. It's been a long time since I've had my hands on one but I'd love to make some short vids to work through the synth for you younger folks.

So... since I am such a nice guy, if one of you send my your ARP I will do that for you free of charge.

The other option that was utilized back in the day was is to take a hit of acid and then sit down with it for hours and hours: you will better understand its capabilities.
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Uh.oh.. those were my thoughts too on mine.

Will have to experiment tomorrow.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefunk View Post
Uh.oh.. those were my thoughts too on mine.

Will have to experiment tomorrow.

OK couldn't wait. I copied the settings from piazolla and could hear some changes when there was some extreme resonance going on.

So it's not broke, but it's not like the KARP Odyssey where the filter differences are very marked. That being said I'm using the built in speakers so maybe that accounts for part of it.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Nut

I used the built in speakers too. Also as you can see on my video, nothing happens until I bring in the vco 2 modulation. But yeah, I agree that it’s not as pronounced as the karp odyssey filters.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Head

I think you cannot hear much difference until you overdrive the filter. The TypeII is more open overdriven and has some brizzle with higher resonance while TypeI Filter starts to build up the distortion in the body instead of on top.

I know, everyone likes the Moog style filter, but I come to conclusion that the TypeII has its moments too. The filter differences are not as big as the two filters in my MS-20m for sure. But nevertheless, always better to have more selection.
Old 2nd August 2020
Quote:
Here’s the second video that shows all the settings. Pretty much nothing happens until I crank up the vco 2 modulation on the filter.

https://youtu.be/wAtxlxu_Yrw

Let me know how it goes.
Whew! That video actually helped a lot. Now I have a night and day difference between the two filter types! It's strange that it has to be at such a sweet-spot setting involving using both the AR and the ADSR in the VCA section, and then having the VCO 2 Control up in the VCF section, but that did the trick! Thanks for posting this video!
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellaris View Post
I think you cannot hear much difference until you overdrive the filter. The TypeII is more open overdriven and has some brizzle with higher resonance while TypeI Filter starts to build up the distortion in the body instead of on top.

I know, everyone likes the Moog style filter, but I come to conclusion that the TypeII has its moments too. The filter differences are not as big as the two filters in my MS-20m for sure. But nevertheless, always better to have more selection.
Agreed. Overdriving the filter and then bringing up the resonance really accentuates the difference.

Take the output of the filter, route through the preamplifier, patch back into the filter and crank the resonance and all kinds of sonic mayhem results with the Type II filter. The Type I filter is a bit more subtle and controlled, but still distorts wonderfully. Filter feedback through the preamp is a great patch to play with as there are so many wide and varied sweet spots of distortion with the smallest of adjustments.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Whew! That video actually helped a lot. Now I have a night and day difference between the two filter types! It's strange that it has to be at such a sweet-spot setting involving using both the AR and the ADSR in the VCA section, and then having the VCO 2 Control up in the VCF section, but that did the trick! Thanks for posting this video!
I’m glad it worked out!
Old 3rd August 2020
Unboxing my Korg Arp 2600 FS (Full Size) and a High Quality Demo

I just recorded a couple of videos of me unboxing and playing my new Korg Arp 2600 FS (Full Size). It took a really long time to ship, around 5 months from when I purchased it, but it finally got here! I've split the video into two parts: In part one I get the Korg Arp 2600 FS out of the box and walk through my initial thoughts. In part two, I've recorded some high quality patches so that you can hear how it sound.

Last edited by andcunning; 3rd August 2020 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Addict

I'd be interested in buying the box if you still have it. I'd like to use it for a video shoot.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

I don't think "a regular old flight case" should flex like an MMA celebrity. Do you think Three Dog Night would be singing Joy to the World if their washed-ashore flightcases were the Karp2600's "regular old" variety? No way! They'd be on a forum complaining about shipping damage, and wondering why the roadies didn't pallet the gear. When your real regular old flightcase gets tossed overboard, you simply wait til low tide, go take some pics for the album cover, collect your gear, dry it off, and 40 years later sell it online as "mint, never left the studio". A "decorative flight case", this is. A storage case, yet suitable for the station wagon. But it probably would pass neither the gorilla test, nor the synth-in-situ buoyancy test. Go ahead, prove me wrong!
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

MF chat saying there aren't any more 2600s getting shipped to them. Anyone heard any different?
Old 3rd August 2020
Quote:
MF chat saying there aren't any more 2600s getting shipped to them. Anyone heard any different?
I just got mine last week. If that helps at all.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by andcunning View Post
I just got mine last week. If that helps at all.
Certainly I got the last one that G4M had. Was lucky they only got 12 out of an original allocation of 30 by the sounds of it. They also told me they would get no more.

Best bet would be for Korg to capitalise on this by making a smaller compact version I think. Having heard the Behringer 2600 it also sounds great but actually quite different from the Korg 2600. Behringer 2600 has some better features like SINE on OSC 3...
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head

First Comparison I've Seen

Turramurra Music Sydney Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_-l9y30WUc

Let's see what people think.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Guitar Center chat told me the same at the beginning of May, then cancelled my order. Luckily my local rep got me back in the queue. I haven't received mine yet, but a whole bunch of other folks on here have received theirs since then.

Don't trust the chat reps, they have no idea.
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Is there anybody else still waiting to receive one through SW?
📝 Reply