Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   The Korg Arp 2600 FS *Actual Owners* Thread (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1296644-korg-arp-2600-fs-actual-owners-thread.html)

OZV 11th April 2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station2station (Post 14647825)
No clue, but this is the third instance of potential fault with the unit ive heard about...

....makes it feel more like a firmware thing.

WTF! A firmware thing? An ARP 2600 with firmware? That can't be.
Just like there is no crying in baseball, there should be absolutely NO computer type anything within an ARP 2600.

That's not an ARP 2600. Please tell me there is no f**king computer anything in this synth.
grrr

Vinw 11th April 2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station2station (Post 14648154)
The original from 1971 didn't have 1/4" patch jacks. Same 1/8".

But to your point, the guts are the logic equivalent of a Casio G-Shock watch with large surface mount boards simply to accommodate the slider layout.

No dismissing the instrument at all. Technology today takes up a lot less space. It's still analog and it's still accurate and true to the audible vibe, but it's a large instrument solely for the heritage and nostalgia. Same with the Model D re-issue which is also a peach IMHO.

Its size is not only for nostalgia: you can drastically alter the sound by shifting a slider from just a tiny amount.
Not even mentioning the tuning of the 3 oscillators.
It does take a lot of real estate for sure, but the physical connection you get with this machine thanks to its UI design and its size brings it to another level imho.

LeChuck 11th April 2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicncars (Post 14648647)
boingboingboing It just arrived. Not without a little worry though.UPS guy unloaded it, it had a nice size hole in the box.luckily, there was some room between the outer box and the road case, so no physical damage that I can see. I’m
Kind of wondering how a 121 pound package just falls over. Lol. Anyway, I have serial number 29, for those keeping score. Mine also, is nowhere near the shape of Marcs. Mine, you can tell, is brand spanking new.
Good luck to everyone else getting theirs.
I’m off to get it set up.

Cool to hear you got yours, look forward to some first impressions after you finish the initial nerd-out.

Did you happen to take a photo of that damage? Marc's sounded like some kind of fluke, but seeing someone else post about a large hole in the box makes me nervous ..

blw 11th April 2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZV (Post 14649830)
WTF! A firmware thing? An ARP 2600 with firmware? That can't be.
Just like there is no crying in baseball, there should be absolutely NO computer type anything within an ARP 2600.

Unfortunately, due to the Global Pandemic, all of the analog MIDI circuits were unavailable. ;)

Station2station 11th April 2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinw (Post 14649877)
Its size is not only for nostalgia: you can drastically alter the sound by shifting a slider from just a tiny amount.
Not even mentioning the tuning of the 3 oscillators.
It does take a lot of real estate for sure, but the physical connection you get with this machine thanks to its UI design and its size brings it to another level imho.

:). If you say so. The TTSH has the same slider throw and is considerably smaller. But again, I love it. No shade.

Musicncars 11th April 2020 01:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck (Post 14649898)
Cool to hear you got yours, look forward to some first impressions after you finish the initial nerd-out.

Did you happen to take a photo of that damage? Marc's sounded like some kind of fluke, but seeing someone else post about a large hole in the box makes me nervous ..

Yes, I took some photos. Luckily, there are some styrofoam corners, that extend inside the box, so while the hole in the box recesses about, it felt like at least an inch, the case wasn’t affected. In other words, it looked worse than it was. But, I’m not going to lie. As I saw him
Unload it, I got a little bit of a sinking feeling in my gut.

Musicncars 11th April 2020 01:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Station2station (Post 14649194)
Wow. Interesting. I'll bet you're right. They built a lot of these before NAMM. And frankly the entire fleet is probably done being built by now. Just logistics.

Congrats and enjoy. #picsoritdidnthappen

:)

I’ll take some more today, but, for some reason when I post photos they are sideways. Facebook they are oriented correctly, but here? I just don’t understand.
Anyway, here are a couple.

Station2station 11th April 2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZV (Post 14649830)
WTF! A firmware thing? An ARP 2600 with firmware? That can't be.
Just like there is no crying in baseball, there should be absolutely NO computer type anything within an ARP 2600.

That's not an ARP 2600. Please tell me there is no f**king computer anything in this synth.
grrr

100% it has firmware. It has USB. It has MIDI, hence it has firmware. (musical instrument DIGITAL interface).

Station2station 11th April 2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicncars (Post 14650328)
I’ll take some more today, but, for some reason when I post photos they are sideways. Facebook they are oriented correctly, but here? I just don’t understand.
Anyway, here are a couple.

Saw those on Facebook. Gorgeous!!

Musicncars 11th April 2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station2station (Post 14650329)
100% it has firmware. It has USB. It has MIDI, hence it has firmware. (musical instrument DIGITAL interface).

Interesting, I owned an Arp 2600 about 10 years ago that had MIDI installed, I wasn’t aware that it had firmware.

Station2station 11th April 2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicncars (Post 14650334)
Interesting, I owned an Arp 2600 about 10 years ago that had MIDI installed, I wasn’t aware that it had firmware.

Firmware as you know just means it has software control in a chip somewhere in the unit. The MIDI implementation via DIN and USB allows you to communicate note and pitch bend data to and from the ARP

In addition, the Korg Arp 2600 has an auto shutoff which will power-down the machine after 4 hours of non-use. All the aforementioned features require computer control. (which you can alter with DIP switches)

It doesn't mean Korg will issue firmware updates in the future, but they COULD.

It def has a logic onboard.

Jaish 11th April 2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicncars (Post 14650306)
Yes, I took some photos. Luckily, there are some styrofoam corners, that extend inside the box, so while the hole in the box recesses about, it felt like at least an inch, the case wasn’t affected. In other words, it looked worse than it was. But, I’m not going to lie. As I saw him
Unload it, I got a little bit of a sinking feeling in my gut.

Seeing the clear packing tape randomly striped over the hole, it looks like someone tried to repair it somewhere along the shipping process. Perhaps the driver if he's claiming it "fell over" in transit.

Thanks for sharing your pics and glad everything inside is 100%. Enjoy!!!
:)

jdkJake 11th April 2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicncars (Post 14650306)
Yes, I took some photos. Luckily, there are some styrofoam corners, that extend inside the box, so while the hole in the box recesses about, it felt like at least an inch, the case wasn’t affected. In other words, it looked worse than it was. But, I’m not going to lie. As I saw him
Unload it, I got a little bit of a sinking feeling in my gut.

Not unusual for shipping companies to totally trash a box. That is why I like how Sweetwater ships big items. They take the original container/box and put it into another box, usually wrapped with additional packing material.

You should have seen my Moog One box when I picked it up from FedEx. Thankfully, Sweetwater boxed the double box Moog uses. While the outer box was trashed, the inner double box was pristine. Still a heart stopping experience! I feel for you.

Shipping companies just do not care anymore, it is all about volume and making delivery windows. Shame, it was not always that way. More so lately.

Musicncars 11th April 2020 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Station2station (Post 14650331)
Saw those on Facebook. Gorgeous!!

Thanks! I took a couple more this morning. Trying to figure out the photo orientation thing.

OZV 11th April 2020 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blw (Post 14650176)
Unfortunately, due to the Global Pandemic, all of the analog MIDI circuits were unavailable. ;)

:heh: I woke at about 1:30am with the thought: I'm going to get sooo flamed for my post. :heh: That's fine. I deserve it, so bring it on. kfhkh

I understand that it's convenient to have a midi keyboard (I had optical midi added to my old Minimoog) but when I here "firmware" problems, I think of the Moog One: I sent mine back to Moog because of the never ending firmware/software problems. I talked at length with the guys at Moog who were developing the software. Updates are still ongoing with that synth.
If the new 2600 relies on firmware updates to rectify problems...that's a problem. Using software to control the keyboard is OK, but if it takes software for the synth to function then I've lost a little bit of interest in the new ARP 2600.

I'm an old fart and I may be holding on too much to the old days. As I said; if the keyboard is helped out by software/firmware then not a problem, but if the synth itself is reliant on the same, that's a bummer to me.

Rob Lo 11th April 2020 06:56 PM

not surprised to hear about so many issues....what do you expect from a Behringer product...

lindelltodd 11th April 2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Lo (Post 14651059)
not surprised to hear about so many issues....what do you expect from a Behringer product...

Wrong thread

blw 11th April 2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZV (Post 14651037)
If the new 2600 relies on firmware updates to rectify problems...that's a problem. Using software to control the keyboard is OK, but if it takes software for the synth to function then I've lost a little bit of interest in the new ARP 2600.

Your Moog mention reminds me of the Minimoog reissue. They did a good job of not making you think about its digital implementation, until you want to change a MIDI channel: Depress F sharp 3 while powering up, sweep mod wheel with pinkie while releasing (or something like that, at least!).

I don't think there is a such thing as a synth with a keyboard that isn't digital anymore. MIDI first, with CV conversion internally. If there is, someone went to a great deal of effort to reinvent the wheel. And on the 2600, the arp is just part of the keyboard assembly. Having a digital controller shouldn't a big deal to the 2600's longevity. Synths with firmware only 10 years younger than the 2600 are still going strong. And I would have been happy to have bought my 2600 without a keyboard anyway.cooge

blw 11th April 2020 07:34 PM

To those that use an X-style stand in front of the flight case, I think you've won me over. Can I ask what model you are using and might recommend. I see single and double-braced models on SW ranging from $25-85. Would be happy with the cheapest sturdy option.

Deleted 2c2ba78 11th April 2020 07:45 PM

Incredible documentary by the best YouTuber out there, Alex Ball.


Musicncars 11th April 2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZV (Post 14651037)
:heh: I woke at about 1:30am with the thought: I'm going to get sooo flamed for my post. :heh: That's fine. I deserve it, so bring it on. kfhkh

I understand that it's convenient to have a midi keyboard (I had optical midi added to my old Minimoog) but when I here "firmware" problems, I think of the Moog One: I sent mine back to Moog because of the never ending firmware/software problems. I talked at length with the guys at Moog who were developing the software. Updates are still ongoing with that synth.
If the new 2600 relies on firmware updates to rectify problems...that's a problem. Using software to control the keyboard is OK, but if it takes software for the synth to function then I've lost a little bit of interest in the new ARP 2600.

I'm an old fart and I may be holding on too much to the old days. As I said; if the keyboard is helped out by software/firmware then not a problem, but if the synth itself is reliant on the same, that's a bummer to me.

I suppose you’ll never buy a new synth again?

Musicncars 11th April 2020 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blw (Post 14651142)
To those that use an X-style stand in front of the flight case, I think you've won me over. Can I ask what model you are using and might recommend. I see single and double-braced models on SW ranging from $25-85. Would be happy with the cheapest sturdy option.

I use this proline.

genshi 11th April 2020 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blw (Post 14649730)
My rep switched me on his own, actually without my knowledge. A store credit was being transferred to my name, and it happened as a part of that. Definitely possible.

Again, as I mentioned later on, that's just what they told me when I tried to switch. Obviously they didn't want to go through the hassle of switching me to another rep, or there were other factors, or who knows. Doesn't matter, if someone was unhappy about their rep, they should just call Sweetwater and do it instead of posting about it here...

Back to the 2600... as for stands, I noticed in that Reverb mini-documentary they were using this stand for the keyboard, so I got one as well (unfortunately I have no more room in my little studio, so the ARP 2600 is going in a small little area in my living room.)

calvin nix 11th April 2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blw (Post 14651142)
To those that use an X-style stand in front of the flight case, I think you've won me over. Can I ask what model you are using and might recommend. I see single and double-braced models on SW ranging from $25-85. Would be happy with the cheapest sturdy option.

I use an On-Stage KS8291xx. Just checked with SW and they are around $80. Of course it says they have none in stock, but arriving soon, go figure. They're probably in the same warehouse that has all the 2600s.

OZV 11th April 2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicncars (Post 14651171)
I suppose you’ll never buy a new synth again?

I just purchased an Omega 8 with the ARP filter pack, but I knew going in "it is what it is": an analog synth with digital technology controlling it.

Maybe I have a skewed idea of what this reproduction was supposed to be. I thought it was going to be an accurate remake of the original. If there is software imbedded into ROM chips that are necessary for the synth section to operate, then I was wrong.

Maybe I'm doing a poor job of expressing my thoughts: Having digital control of the synth via a digital keyboard is logical and will make the synth much more "usable". However, if the synth section relies on software/firmware then that somewhat defeats the purpose of building such an iconic analog synth.

Just my option. :)

Does anyone know for sure that the synth section is anything other than analog?

Sweatervest 11th April 2020 10:00 PM

I can’t say for sure but in looking at how it behaves and the componentry on the boards in the gutshots you'll only see firmware in the MIDI/ARP/Sequencer sections and maybe the keybed.

Fret not...the SMT (to me) means this will be stable and reliable.

On that note though...I would highly recommend leaving the unit on for a week or so when you get it. It’s rare and big enough that service will be hell (harder than a vintage unit IMHO) so bake it and let the shipping bumps, cold solders and out of spec/faulty components fail within days of getting it rather than months/years.

MarkSinister 11th April 2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blw (Post 14651142)
To those that use an X-style stand in front of the flight case, I think you've won me over. Can I ask what model you are using and might recommend. I see single and double-braced models on SW ranging from $25-85. Would be happy with the cheapest sturdy option.

I am using a K&M 18933. I selected this because the support depth (250 mm) matches well with the 3620 keyboard which is not that deep (274 mm). It is really well made and sturdy stand but it is not cheap.

Jaish 12th April 2020 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSinister (Post 14651623)
I am using a K&M 18933. I selected this because the support depth (250 mm) matches well with the 3620 keyboard which is not that deep (274 mm). It is really well made and sturdy stand but it is not cheap.

K&M stands are great! A good friend made me aware of them, namely the OMEGA series. After seeing how sturdy it was and over-engineered, I picked up the basic 18810 for my MatrixBrut. After some measurements I realized the optional 2nd tier would actually hold another synth over top at a nice angle without shadowing the MB control panel, even with the MB panel flipped up.

You're right, they're not cheap, but got the 2nd tier as an absolutely MINT "demo stock" from Sweetwater for $30 less.

https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keybo...nd-omega-black

and

https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keybo...-stacker-black

The stand and tiers also come in Red and White; was tempted to get a red one for my NL4, but the NL is so light that it doesn't need something as sturdy.

K&M are now my new favourite since my "Ultimate" (Apex and V-Stand) days, although I still have those. I was actually thinking of picking up another Omega 18810 for the ARP and adding a metal / wooden table top to it; would hold the 2600 and 3620 perfectly and is rock solid for all the weight, but I'm liking some of the flight case combo suggestions, here, too.

d2ba 12th April 2020 02:22 AM

Whats your favourite soundtracks that used the ARP2600?

jason moyer 12th April 2020 04:02 AM

Apparently I need to call Zzounds on Monday to see what the hell is going on with my order. They sent out emails warning that I'd see cancellation emails because they were changing the shipping method to make sure they arrived safely, but then they also tried to charge the full amount to my CC that I only use for ZZ finance plans so it didn't go through. Now I see the newly added item in the order with the updated shipping, but it says "order received" instead of "backordered". FFS.