The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Subsequent 37 effects pedal
Old 3 weeks ago
Subsequent 37 effects pedal

Last week I received my Subsequent 37 which I'm currently exploring. I'm also looking into effects that complement the sub which is why I created this thread.

I currently own a Zoom ms70cdr which is very versatile but I can't stand the user interface so I'm looking into alternative outboard effects.
I'm mainly looking into delay pedals(with front-end controls) due to the rhythmic properties, but a secondary function in the form of a chorus or reverb would also be a nice addition.

I've had my eyes on an a Strymon El Capistan for a long time and the Strymon DIG also seems very interesting.

I'm wondering what you guys are using and maybe some of you have experience with these pedals.
I'm looking forward to your feedback, thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I use the El Capistan and Flint as inserts on my mixer and they sound really tasty with synths. My only complaint is that the Cap has no bpm/clockable midi connection, so tap tempo is as close as you're gonna get. The Volante is a step up there I guess, but imo it doesn't sound quite as 'tape-y'.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Check out Source Audio Collider. It's like half Ventris, half Nemesis. Or GFI Specular Tempus, or another reverb/delay combo there's lots
Old 3 weeks ago
Got a Strymon Dig today for Minibrute2s. Have to cook dinner so I can’t play with it. Planning to get a Capistan and a reverb. That should be enough for a microscopic set up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I loved the Mooer Ocean Machine sound I heard on YT.This pedal does Delay and Reverb fxs.I would like to add this pedal to my setup but they cost 210 €.
http://www.mooeraudio.com/product/53.html

Or the TC electronic Flashback2 + TC Hall of Fame 2.They sound so nice to my ears too.Total cost around 230 €.
Old 3 weeks ago
eb7
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InteBra View Post
Have to cook dinner so I can’t play with it.
Now that's just poor planning. Your city is full of good falafel places and other assorted places to get a quick meal. Try to do better next time.
Old 2 weeks ago
M32
Lives for gear

+1 for El Cap
The MF108 Chorus pedal is also amazing
Check out Meris pedals, like Mercury or Polymoon
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Strymon El Capistan and Deco are awesome with the 37 (or anything else.) For Reverb, GFI Specular3 or Meris Mercury7 are my favorites that I've tried. If it was me I would get the Deco, El Cap and M7 along with a phaser.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
The MF108 Chorus pedal is also amazing
That's the last pedal I'd sell, if I had to sell all but one. Despite their ridiculous prices.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Something with MIDI so you can tempo sync with the arp and sequencer. The BOSS DD-500 or RV-500 are amazing for the money, or a Strymon Timeline or Volante if they fit your budget.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Check out Source Audio Collider. It's like half Ventris, half Nemesis. Or GFI Specular Tempus, or another reverb/delay combo there's lots
On paper the Collider should be perfect. It also seems to sound really good although I wasn't convinced by the tape algorithm.

My main gripe with the Collider is that the real depth is hidden behind an app, I prefer to have something with front-end controls. I've also read that tap tempo often results in disabling the effect but this issue might be incidental.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I love the Eventide Rose with my synths. I got a LNIB used one for $249 from Guitar Center of all places. The only complaint I have is that direct MIDI syncing involves some additional steps that I haven’t dug in to yet but USB sync supposedly works.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Analog View Post
Something with MIDI so you can tempo sync with the arp and sequencer. The BOSS DD-500 or RV-500 are amazing for the money, or a Strymon Timeline or Volante if they fit your budget.
I think the Boss 500 series is very competitively priced for what you get. Both the DD and the RV also contain an emulation of RE-201 which I really like.
My main problem with the Boss 500 pedals is that they lack front-controls en require a lot of menu diving. Without dedicated buttons I would rather use a plugin.

The Timeline and especially the Volente seem amazing, bit pricey though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima_jrk View Post
I love the Eventide Rose with my synths. I got a LNIB used one for $249 from Guitar Center of all places. The only complaint I have is that direct MIDI syncing involves some additional steps that I haven’t dug in to yet but USB sync supposedly works.
Didn't know the Rose, will certainly check it out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by InteBra View Post
Got a Strymon Dig today for Minibrute2s. Have to cook dinner so I can’t play with it. Planning to get a Capistan and a reverb. That should be enough for a microscopic set up.
You seem to be aiming at similar setup. How easy it to match your (tap) tempo with your sequences?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Toy View Post
I use the El Capistan and Flint as inserts on my mixer and they sound really tasty with synths. My only complaint is that the Cap has no bpm/clockable midi connection, so tap tempo is as close as you're gonna get. The Volante is a step up there I guess, but imo it doesn't sound quite as 'tape-y'.
I have seen a lot of comparisons on the El Capistan and the Volante. Overall the Volante seems to come out on top feature wise but many users seem the find the lack of tape degradation and a mix button dealbreakers.
Did you try both and what is your stance on this issue?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by djangi View Post
You seem to be aiming at similar setup. How easy it to match your (tap) tempo with your sequences?
I don’t know. Since this is only a hobby for me it’s not so important. I reckon the tempo will be close enough for my needs. Human touch in stead of midi control. I’m glad though that I can sync the Minibrute and Drumbrute Impact...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think that a vocal pedal effector works very well with mono synths.
it's recommended.

In addition, BOSS SUPER Octave OC-3 and TearaEcho TE-2 are also good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have seen a lot of comparisons on the El Capistan and the Volante. Overall the Volante seems to come out on top feature wise but many users seem the find the lack of tape degradation and a mix button dealbreakers.
Did you try both and what is your stance on this issue?
I just think the Cap sounds better to my ears. I already had the Cap and thought about selling it to upgrade to the Volante for the midi implementation, but after comparing, I realised they had quite different base tones. If the Cap had the midi clock, it would be the best of both worlds.

I would still consider looking into a clockable delay or one with a bpm panel on it. My friend has an old Boss DD-20 delay which sounds awesome with everything we've ever used it on, and is much handier with because of the bpm meter. For clockable stuff I've got an ancient Quadraverb which does the trick.

But as far as the Cap, I've not heard anything other than real tape which beats it for tone. It also has a built in spring reverb too that you can mix in or out (it's in the secondary features).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
On paper the Collider should be perfect. It also seems to sound really good although I wasn't convinced by the tape algorithm.

My main gripe with the Collider is that the real depth is hidden behind an app, I prefer to have something with front-end controls. I've also read that tap tempo often results in disabling the effect but this issue might be incidental.
Yep all true. You can reassign controls via the app, but... not the most convenient.

I think I prefer the tape emu slightly on my Digitech Timebender (their discontinued competitor for the Boss DD-20) over the one loaded on Nemesis. Maybe psychosomatic, because the TB looks older? A lot of people seem to prefer El Cap and Volante. I even went to buy a Volante, but someone had stolen it from the store before I got there, so I never got to hear it live.

The MF-108 Clusterflux does this acoustic/Karplus sounding transformation when you find the sweet spot with the delay and feedback. Highly recommended once you get tape and reverb sorted, if you find a good deal. Maybe prices will go down if Moog releases another line of pedals.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If it's a single delay you want, I'd first decide which you like best - analogue, tape emulation or digital. They're completely different sounds.

For analogue monos, my current favourite combination is the DIG going into an RV-6 on Hall. That's mostly on the Grandmother, but the Sub37 still gets some use. I have an ElCapistan and a couple of analogue delays too and pull them out if that's what I need. But personally, I love the clean sound of the DIG.

There's also the KORG Nu:Tekt NTS-1 which looks great for the money.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Red Panda Particle 2

It's a granular pedal from which you can derive delays, reverby type things, pitch shifting, detune, buffery craziness etc.

You hear your synth/guitar/whatever, not the algorithm. Maybe it's a little glassy.

It's put my h9 out of business, personally.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For Live jams I always take an Avalanche Run with my Sub37.
It is perfect to do both delay and reverb in a single pedal, with tap tempo and a few crazy options
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BOSS SUPER Octave OC-3

short track

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BOSS TE-2 Tera Echo
short track

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BOSS AC - 3 AcousticSimulator
STANDARD
JUMBO
ENHANCE
PIEZO

It is a very good effector that adds a pleasant character to the sound.
In addition to the four variations, you can also change the reverb depth.

The second half of the track combines two effectors.
BOSS AC - 3 AcousticSimulator
+ Tera Echo
I think this combination is also good.it's recommended.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I love the Eventide H9 with my Voyager.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BOSS GT - 1 + SubSequent37

easy to use
It is very good that you can save your favorite settings in presets.
There are a wide range of effect combinations and settings.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-effects-pedal
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I was never 100% happy running my sub 37 though my El Capistan. The delay pedal that does hit the spot is my Boss DM2w waza craft analog delay. Very simple controls and lovely tone that just partners beautifully with the sub 37.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BOSS GT - 1 + SubSequent37

2nd Track

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search