The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finally Figured Out What I Want?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
No, it isn't. The PCM samples on the K5000 are just transient samples (exactly the same concept as in the Roland D-50). Since additive synths can't create inharmonic partials (except by using the AM), the K5000 implements the sample set to ease the emulation of acoustic instruments, while the main weight of the whole sound generation remains on the additive section.

But it doesn't mean it sounds bad; it's just that the K5000 is not that kind of synthesizer. If you want to have a good set of PCM sounds, get a Triton Rack or a Motif Rack to team up with your additive or FM synth.

Use the K5000 to create absolutely new unheard sounds, pads that came from a parallel universe, and basses and leads that can destroy your best monitors, but don't expect from it to sound like a rompler, because it just isn't.
Alright thanks, good to know. K5000 or nothing for additive then. Also good to know the ROM is more ala D-50 than Triton, so double thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
MFB Synth Pro. If you don't pick that, I'm going to hate you until my toenails fall out.
Haha, first call me the anti VA babe and now this. I really like the Synth Pro but no sustain makes me very sad, like you hating me. :(
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
@ Rezisehtnys Of course, I just gotta say....

Ditch the Kawais, Wavestate, Virus, DSS-1, FZ-1, SY22, D-50, ASR-10 (and other samplers), Wavestation, etc ad nauseum....

Forget needing cheap-feeling MIDI master controllers. Or external FX units. Or USB hosts or audio / MIDI interfaces.
Save yourself $$$, time, cables, MIDI complexity, space, efficiency...

All while adding *more* to your original requirements list, while reducing your footprint. And reducing overall $$$. Use that saved $$$ if u want for $100-200 tube, transformer, and external warmers.

Something you can grow into for the next decade. You know what time it is, and you know what it is 'that which I shall not name'...
Haha yes, I thought of that too but I'm too impatient for a 2-2.5 minute boot time. If it has some kind of standby mode like any other computer where I only have to restart once a week, I could probably live with that.

Also I oftentimes wished there was an inexpensive module just with piano and organ presets, vocal presets would be a bonus.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnickster View Post
Well, I haven't tried the Virus but it sounds like a good broad range of stuff.

I wanted a K5/K5000 for a long time, but I think you could probably do without it if you just do the additive stuff in a softsynth and write out samples that you can load up in whatever sampler you like.

I use an E-Mu E6400 Ultra loaded with samples from the EIII sound CDs and Proteus Pack+Proteus 1/2/3 from Digital Sound Factory.

Then there's the Roland XV-5080 which I have filled with Vintage Synths, 60s&70s Keyboards, and Orchestral expansion cards, and a Kurzweil k2500RS which offers HUGE possibilities that I haven't even explored.

I have an Alesis Fusion which offers sampling, FM, VA and physical modeling, but truthfully it's too heavy and slow to navigate so after I transferred most of my SoundFonts to it, it's gathering dust. I pine for a Yamaha EX5R but they're still just too expensive.

For FM I prefer the old TX802, and for VA the Novation Ultranova. This stuff is old but it covers a LOT of ground! The Ultranova in particular is a lot of fun to play with.
I wanted the XP-30? for the longest time, must've been all the vocal and "instruments around the world" samples. But after having a K2000, Fantom X6, and Triton then only using it for piano, organ, and vocal samples is a waste.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
Haha yes, I thought of that too but I'm too impatient for a 2-2.5 minute boot time. If it has some kind of standby mode like any other computer where I only have to restart once a week, I could probably live with that.

Also I oftentimes wished there was an inexpensive module just with piano and organ presets, vocal presets would be a bonus.
At gigs, it's set up and ready before everyone else in the band, except my bass rig.

At home, I start it up first thing in the morning... it's ready before morning caffeine and internet are. I leave it on all day for moments of inspiration, and have a hard time shutting it down at night cuz I want it there ready all the time.

Good things come to those who wait. I have many machines that boot up in seconds, that I just don't get to because they're not as inspiring. I guess we all have different priorities and cost-benefit ratios.

Once a day bootup time is far down my list. YMMV
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i think you are planning too far ahead. i agree with the idea of going slowly and then expanding after you get to know your most recent acquisition and find yourself reaching for sounds that it just can't make.

the only time i plan out a lot and then buy a lot is eurorack...and it's easy to get obsessive and worry about how everything will "fall in to place"

there too, people told me to take my time and go slowly, adding piece by piece. now that I have a decent rig, i totally agree with them, and have kind of been working in reverse, focusing time on one module and seeing what i can get out of it.

however, it's your workflow and way of approaching it. both methods can work out fine.

nice choices above though
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
At gigs, it's set up and ready before everyone else in the band, except my bass rig.

At home, I start it up first thing in the morning... it's ready before morning caffeine and internet are. I leave it on all day for moments of inspiration, and have a hard time shutting it down at night cuz I want it there ready all the time.

Good things come to those who wait. I have many machines that boot up in seconds, that I just don't get to because they're not as inspiring. I guess we all have different priorities and cost-benefit ratios.

Once a day bootup time is far down my list. YMMV
I guess it's because when I want to play I'm sitting down and wanting to play then, not anxiously watch a loading screen for 2+ minutes first. It's something I know would drive me insane, which isn't a far drive.

Which thinking about I could go this way:
SY77/99
BSII+SE-02
Virus TI+Synth Pro(if sustain CC fixed)
SY35+Wavestate(if module made)

I definitely have analogue/VA and FM(PM) as primary needs, ROMpler would be nice but I want more to it(3 strikes and just ROMplers are out) as I literally only use piano, organ, and vocal samples 90% of the time. Additive is a curiosity, but I'm not sure how well I'd like it once in front of me(especially now). Long story short I'm tired of synth shuffling, I want this to be the last time so I can just make music and not be perturbed or depressed over it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
i think you are planning too far ahead. i agree with the idea of going slowly and then expanding after you get to know your most recent acquisition and find yourself reaching for sounds that it just can't make.

the only time i plan out a lot and then buy a lot is eurorack...and it's easy to get obsessive and worry about how everything will "fall in to place"

there too, people told me to take my time and go slowly, adding piece by piece. now that I have a decent rig, i totally agree with them, and have kind of been working in reverse, focusing time on one module and seeing what i can get out of it.

however, it's your workflow and way of approaching it. both methods can work out fine.

nice choices above though
I've owned more synths than I want to admit, so it's the only reason I'm going synth en masse.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not affiliate but, since it was on your list.... craigslist portland OR has a Kawai K5000s $400
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I've come to learn that having as many different sounds as possible is a huge pain the ass as most don't play well together and are extremely hard to fit into a mix together. Having a few synths that sound similar and work well together in a mix is better than having loads of synths that sound different, getting them to sit well together in recordings is easier and the rewards are high.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I've come to learn that having as many different sounds as possible is a huge pain the ass as most don't play well together and are extremely hard to fit into a mix together. Having a few synths that sound similar and work well together in a mix is better than having loads of synths that sound different, getting them to sit well together in recordings is easier and the rewards are high.
agreed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I'm more interested in sound design and playing for myself in real time than I am recording myself, I guess that must be a weird concept for most but it's true. I haven't recorded in 8 years? and I've been playing since I was 13(14 first synth) and I'm 28 now. Gah, I'm old...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Haha yes, I thought of that too but I'm too impatient for a 2-2.5 minute boot time.
I sort of feel like manufacturers went off the rails a bit when we started getting instruments that require operating systems.

As Alan Cooper would say (he wrote The Inmates Are Running the Asylum), "what do you get when you cross a synthesizer with a computer? You get a computer."
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I sort of feel like manufacturers went off the rails a bit when we started getting instruments that require operating systems.

As Alan Cooper would say (he wrote The Inmates Are Running the Asylum), "what do you get when you cross a synthesizer with a computer? You get a computer."
I don't mind if boot time is reasonable; short of purely analogue synths there is always some boot time, which then gets replaced with warmup time on pure analogue. Like 20 seconds I wouldn't mind, 2+ minutes...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have an sY77 and tg77 but would choose the tg77 between the two. Takes up way less space.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDisco View Post
I have an sY77 and tg77 but would choose the tg77 between the two. Takes up way less space.
I aspire to be the female version of Rick Wakeman though:
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Oh! Well, you could have saved us a bunch of time if you'd told us that at the beginning...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'd make a fortune from all the divorces.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh! Well, you could have saved us a bunch of time if you'd told us that at the beginning...
Haha, I don't want quite that many at the moment. I have a triple tier stand and then my KB300 I can place another synth on, so four 61 key synths at most I guess. Though, could buy more stands...

That's ok, I'm flipping through the ROM bank of the SY77 right now and thinking of other ROMpler+synthesis (generated sound source) keyboards that're newer. Aside from Kronos, Montage, and the newest Fantom and Jupiter-X anyway. Maybe the EX5, but only FDSP and VL are truly unique right? That or something unique is done with ROM samples, like the Wavestation and Wavestate.

I just know after trying three times now strictly ROMplers are not for me, at all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now, given the suggestions she presented, do you think Rezi should really get any Kawai at all?
Well, I don't think she needs any synth at all. But this is not about needs, it's about having fun.

The K5000 sound can't be covered, replicated or replaced easily by other machines. Of course, you can not use it, you don't need it, but it has a unique sound and feature set that will make you have much fun.

Quote:
I think if she wants a minimally sufficient rompler set, options to explore new synthesis methods, and somewhat good quality modern sounds and FX, a Wavestate would be a far better option to round out her proposed collection....esp for the price / performance aspect.

What do you think?

(I'm assuming you've listened to many demos and have a good idea on what the Wavestate offers.)
I've listened to every single Wavestate demo out there, but I don't like it.
One of the things I like of any synthesizer is its core sound, the raw tone. If I don't like the raw tone, the synth just isn't interesting to me. The classic Korg Wavestation has a beautiful core sound that I don't find on the Wavestate.

While the Wavestation sounds warm, solid... the Wavestate sounds thin and sterile (ok, at least to my ears... but I don't use synthesizers according to other's ears!). That's also one of the reasons I hate software instruments.

Furthermore, I consider a big mistake that a "pad factory" has only 3 octaves. It's the worst of both worlds. Too big to have on the desktop (especially if you already have other instruments), too small to play on it. I hope they release a desktop unit or a 5-octave version in the future.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I don't think she needs any synth at all. But this is not about needs, it's about having fun.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
Not affiliate but, since it was on your list.... craigslist portland OR has a Kawai K5000s $400
That's quite cheap! I've just sold mine for 600 and some people are selling it for 800+.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have had a K5000s for years and absolutely love it. Their lcds dim with time but it works ok. Kawai sells brand new screens for $200 and they may still have sound disks they would send for free if u ask nicely (tell them you're a woman! just kidding). Bonus: the keybed of it feels really good to play.

I had a TI 61 and did not like it and eventually sold it. It felt like all the sounds had a weird smear on them. And the keybed while good is really loud and clanky which annoyed me. If u don't need the multi-timbral operation I suggest a Blofeld instead. But some people love the TI. If u really want one, I suggest getting the module TI2 version used in good condition so u can easily flip and ship it if u do not like it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So how else can she make music with synth sounds in it? Samplers?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r View Post
I have had a K5000s for years and absolutely love it. Their lcds dim with time but it works ok. Kawai sells brand new screens for $200 and they may still have sound disks they would send for me if u ask nicely (tell them you're a woman! just kidding). Bonus: the keybed of it feels really good to play.
A LED compatible display is just about USD25. The installation is a bit tricky (see http://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewto...e353af#p720654 ) but I think it's worth it.

I'm planning to upgrade my K5000R soon. What colour do you like? :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's quite cheap! I've just sold mine for 600 and some people are selling it for 800+.
Some of them have the internal memory expander and may go for more. I bought and installed it myself long ago but I think the dude does not make them any more? I think $500 give or take based on condition is a good price. $400 is great but I would ask some questions, like how dim is the display, and how much to pack very carefully (I suggest professional packing) and ship insured.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A LED compatible display is just about USD25. The installation is a bit tricky (see http://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewto...e353af#p720654 ) but I think it's worth it.

I'm planning to upgrade my K5000R soon. What colour do you like? :-)
Where do I get these from? I am hoping maybe I can negotiate with Kawai for a price reduction, but if there is another option I would like to know. Either way I would need a tech to install it.

Btw, u weren't kidding, looks like prices on the S and R have pretty much doubled on ebay.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where do I get these from? I am hoping maybe I can negotiate with Kawai for a price reduction, but if there is another option I would like to know.
You get them from eBay or other online places that sell electical components. You won't get them from Kawai.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have had a K5000s for years and absolutely love it. Their lcds dim with time but it works ok. Kawai sells brand new screens for $200 and they may still have sound disks they would send for free if u ask nicely (tell them you're a woman! just kidding). Bonus: the keybed of it feels really good to play.

I had a TI 61 and did not like it and eventually sold it. It felt like all the sounds had a weird smear on them. And the keybed while good is really loud and clanky which annoyed me. If u don't need the multi-timbral operation I suggest a Blofeld instead. But some people love the TI. If u really want one, I suggest getting the module TI2 version used in good condition so u can easily flip and ship it if u do not like it.
Everyone is saying K5000 now, hmm... Haha, I don't think I'd have to tell them as my voice would give it away.

I have a Micro Q now that I'm meh on, would like it more if it were more than just VA(I hardly count 2 wavetables).

I think I'm more uncertain now than when I started.
Old 4 weeks ago
I had a K5000 and found it a nightmare to program. At the time my Nord G2 was quite new and decided my time would be better invested getting my head around the Nord. The k5 went, the Nord stayed. I agree with DPO about the K5000 filter.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search