The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
When to be satisfied with what one has?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop View Post
Why don't you ask any luthier if the wood matters on an electric guitar. Or do you know better than they do?

Here's a couple of the guitars in my studio right now. The one on the left is Mason Ruffner's '58 Strat. Used on Bob Dylan's "Oh Mercy" album produced by Daniel Lanois, among others. Played by Dylan, Jimmy Page, Santana, Billy Gibbons, among others.

The guitar on the right is Eric Johnson's '62 Strat, the one Fender modeled for his rosewood board signature series. Here they are in action:

https://youtu.be/dafJ9ZxKjBo
https://youtu.be/1ctA6wOGbfs

We really fell for all that marketing hype. Reliced them nicely to make them look cool. Helps us sleep well at night.
Model trains and Eric Johnson? This thread hasn't just gone off the rails, it's tumbled down the side of the mountain in a fiery wreck beyond all hope of recovery. Perhaps we can salvage some of the boards to employ in Fender's next Custom Shop project.

Honestly, I don't believe in tone wood, but "Oh Mercy" is one of the most underrated albums in Dylan's catalog. Such an expertly produced LP from start to finish. One of my favorites.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is Stoicism 101 - read Epictetus

Humans are insatiable

They always want more

Learning to want what you have

Is the key to freedom and inner peace

Read about the hedonic treadmill

This forum can be bad for your inner peace
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymooger View Post
What is this 'satisfaction' of which you speak?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketsofcake View Post
Honestly, I don't believe in tone wood, but "Oh Mercy" is one of the most underrated albums in Dylan's catalog. Such an expertly produced LP from start to finish. One of my favorites.
Tone wood is not an opinion, it is the fact of every electric guitar ever made. Jeez. I'm sure electric guitars made of other materials sound just as good in a fictitious alternate universe. And YouTube. Same thing actually.

At least we agree on Oh Mercy.

Ok, I will stop hijacking the thread now. Please continue analyzing your GAS and bashing guitarists.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

sometimes I think about how beautiful a single piano is, and how little else is needed to create some of the most lasting and meaningful music we have. Mastering a single instrument - or a single synth - is hard work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt View Post
Who is Wendy? She sounds like a real buzzkill.....
I know, right? F WENDY!

Quote:
Also, yes, less is usually more.

Man I hate that phrase. It’s right up there with “everything happens for a reason” for winner of Dumb-and-Empty-Platitude-of-the-Year award. The truth is much more complicated. If you’re not trying to do that much, then not having a lot of unnecessary stuff is good. If you’re trying to accomplish a lot, more is good. Everyone’s tipping point is different. My brother’s been happy with his old piano action Yamaha ROMpler for... over a decade... I don’t even know how long. That kind of restriction sounds like hell to me. YMMV.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I could see going overboard with guitars. I don't really consider myself a guitarist, and I'm still rocking ten different guitars. I was really bad about amps for a whole minute there. I was after the perfect metal tone, so I had eight different amps, none of which were being recorded. When I was moving into accompanying pedals, I realized that I was very quickly going off the rails, so I roped everything in. Now it's just Daisy Rock and Schecter guitars, the Schecter amp, a couple amp modelers, and a collection of Crate amps collecting dust in the garage.

As far as the tonewood thing, I do wonder if there's that much of a difference sonically. I had a craving for a hollowbody, and when I got one, it ended up sounding the same in recordings as the solidbodies. On the other hand though, those aluminum guitars looked pretty good but got discontinued very quickly, didn't they?
Old 4 weeks ago
I'm completely satisfied with what I have right now and don't want....oops, I just bought a bass guitar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphNYC View Post
sometimes I think about how beautiful a single piano is, and how little else is needed to create some of the most lasting and meaningful music we have. Mastering a single instrument - or a single synth - is hard work.
Oh! I’m sorry, you must have wandered away from the Acoustic Instruments of Yesteryear forum and into the Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production forum. Go back the way you came, make a left, then your first right and it’s right on the corner.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I could see going overboard with guitars. I don't really consider myself a guitarist, and I'm still rocking ten different guitars. I was really bad about amps for a whole minute there. I was after the perfect metal tone, so I had eight different amps, none of which were being recorded. When I was moving into accompanying pedals, I realized that I was very quickly going off the rails, so I roped everything in. Now it's just Daisy Rock and Schecter guitars, the Schecter amp, a couple amp modelers, and a collection of Crate amps collecting dust in the garage.

As far as the tonewood thing, I do wonder if there's that much of a difference sonically. I had a craving for a hollowbody, and when I got one, it ended up sounding the same in recordings as the solidbodies. On the other hand though, those aluminum guitars looked pretty good but got discontinued very quickly, didn't they?
You’d think that with my personality I’d be the same. I do consider myself a guitarist. I’m actually way more a guitarist than a keyboardist (though I’m working to remedy that) I’m actually really free from G.A.S. when it comes to guitars. My first real one was a Rickenbacher 320, bought solely because John Lennon played one and I thought he must own the best. (That’s a 14 year older’s thought process!) After a while I realized that it wasn’t the guitar for me and I traded it in for a G&L Skyhawk in the early 80s and that’s the guitar I’ve had ever since. I added a Steinberger in 92, and a Steinberger Q bass in 95. My wife bought me an acoustic that I don’t play very often and a one of those Guitar/sitar reissues that’s phenomenally bad and just ends up on the wall. Those only stay for sentimental reasons. To be honest, even the G&L stays mostly because of sentimental reasons and 90% of the time I’m on the Steinbergers and I never seem to crave anything else.

Same with amps... I’ve only ever owned a single amp at a time. My real guitar based G.A.S. has always been with effects and pedals. Now that has been a bit out of control at times. Live performance kind of got me away from pedals and into rack style boxes so I could do more of a quick change thing without awkward tap dancing.

My guitar G.A.S. has totally faded though. Synths took over the task of making more synthey sounds, so basic, good quality, standard effects are all I really want, for the most part. I get all those with a Kemper Amp Profiler. The moment I got that was the moment I stopped looking at anything else. The only thing that’s missing from it is Electro-Harmonix style guitar synth effects and I don’t care because real synths are a billion times better and my Rise 49 allows for a guitar-like expressive control. I might end up getting a Volante because the Kemper’s delay options are pretty lacking in character, but I rarely really feel like I’m missing that, and when I do I will run direct into the DAW and use Pulsar Echorec or IK Tape Delay into Amplitube, which does a pretty decent job.

TL:DR: get yourself a Kemper Amp Profiler and a few pedals and you’ll never crave anything else for guitar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I might end up getting a Volante
Do it! The Volante was my best purchase last year, so good.
Wait, I feel like this thread is going off the rails. Sorry.
Old 4 weeks ago
From the new pop music I hear on the radio from my family, straight up piano is on around half the tracks ... guitar rarely. Lana Del Rey has piano on most tracks.

Every track I released, started out on piano every time. That's how I play them when reminiscing too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Do it! The Volante was my best purchase last year, so good.
Wait, I feel like this thread is going off the rails. Sorry.
It wouldn’t be GearSlutz if the thread stayed on the rails! And let’s face it, these threads are just thinly veiled ways of justifying whatever one’s G.A.S. level happens to be.

My initial idea for the Volante was to use it as a bit of a looper, but when I found out it’s sound-on-sound feature didn’t MIDI sync, I gave up and bought Valhalla Delay, which is f’n awesome if you use plugins, but I can’t get that to be in front of my Kemper Profile, so I need something that’s hardware for that sound. It’s not really a matter of if I get one, but when.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekyboo View Post
There are so many new synths out at the moment, and I find myself being caught up in a general hysteria of what should I buy. From the Moog Matriarch, the Waldorf Quantum, the new offerings from Behringer, the Korg 2600, Minilogue, the Hydrasynth, etc. There are so many choices and yet I find myself wondering if I already have more than enought choice and wonder if I actually made my best music with FruityLoops, a Novation X-Station, my DSI Evolver, various VSTIs, and the awesome V-Synth.

I have far less time, far more disposable cash, yet I wonder if my desires to spend are simply a protracted adolescence (in middle age). I honestly don't think I will produce any groundbreaking music, nor synthesize any unheard sounds.

It seems more like a case of gearlust and wanting what I don't have rather than appreciating all the synths I already have.

Anybody else have dilemmas of this nature?
Each synth less is one less to worry about.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

One should always be satisfied with what one has; and never satisfied with whom one is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop View Post
LOL justify my decision to buy a guitar made of wood? It has nothing to do with the look and feel. My opinions nothing to do with anything but sound. The wood has a major effect on an electric guitar, and without exception, every great guitarist and guitar builder agrees with me. If the wood had no effect, guitars would be made with some other, cheaper and easier material. And all guitars with the same pickups would sound the same.

Or, you can just show me that Youtube video of a hacked Squier sounding as good as a nice reliced Strat and call it a day.
So you don't want to comment on the physics and electromagnetism of pickups, or how the Danelectro guitars people LOVE are glued together pieces of particle board? There's also poteniometers, capacitors, switches, wiring, etc... that have an actual effect on the sound. I guess you'll ignore that too though since you can't argue against physics

Most guitarists don't know physics, and it's easier to attribute things to a piece of wood versus interlacing math. That and somewhere along the line the acoustic properties of wood, used in acoustic instruments, was perverted and applied to an isolated electronic circuit screwed into a piece of wood. The ones building guitars want to maximize their profits and continue to perpetuate lies that guitarists have bought into hook, line, and sinker since they blindly trust these companies. Also I guess Steve Vai isn't a great guitarist since he used one made of acrylic:

Seriously though, I'm just trying to free people from the reigns of guitar makers. When I was a kid I bought into the tonewood fallacy as well, but as I got older and actually stopped to think about how electric guitars work then researched how they work it's very clear and obvious tonewood is a lie in regards to electric guitars. A simple electromagnetic circuit does not care where it's hosted, otherwise Mr. Vai would've killed his career and Danelectro guitars wouldn't be desired.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I've always been mystified by the increased size of the mammary glands on the human female mammal. I postulate it has to do with walking upright, and providing a rudimentary signal to the primitive male brain that one should grab here rather than on the other side, for increased chances of reproduction. Ditto for the baby.

Unfortunately it has worked all too well; evolution has led to overpopulation.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You only can be satisfied what you have, not what you don't have.

I just sell stuff that I haven't used in a long time. That way you get the collection of stuff that works best for you and is sheer timeless.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
One should always be satisfied with what one has; and never satisfied with whom one is.
Hippies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balem Abrasax
To live is to consume and the human beings on your planet are merely a resource waiting to be converted into capital, and this entire enterprise is just a small part in a vast and beautiful machine defined by evolution, designed to a single purpose: to create profit.
I say you can't take it with you, and you only go around once (so some say), so spend it on what makes you happy, within reason of course.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
Also I guess Steve Vai isn't a great guitarist since he used one made of acrylic:
Right, all the wood guitars are the marketing hype, not the light-up acrylic guitar. Nevermind you never hear Steve Vai actually playing one, and the pickups on it need to be so hot that yeah, nothing else matters. There have been a few guitars at times made from other materials. At best, they can sound barely passable. Usually, a lot worse than that.

My opinions are based on experience, not what anyone else told me, and that suggestion is rude. Do I presume to tell you where your opinions come from? I am trying very hard to remain polite. My opinions come from the experience of working extensively over decades with more great guitars than most mortals will ever see (and guitarists, and luthiers), experimenting to answer this very question. Like I said, ask any guitar builder, and get back to us.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
So your stuff is more important than yourself? ...I can get behind that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
I'm just trying to free people from the reigns of guitar makers.
This is what you sound like right now:

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sigh... I give up if people don't want to accept mathematical facts and physics of the universe we live in, it's that simple. I talked to someone that was a luthier and piano tech as a kid, but they weren't trying to blow smoke up my skirt. I asked many of the very same questions going on now, and why then all this nomenclature existed among guitarists and companies. That was the start of all this now, if you want to believe an electromagnetic circuit cares about organic matter then more power to you.

I'm going to start conveying tonewood of synthesizers and in a few years people can argue about that too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Uhh... what was this thread about again?

Ohh yeah when to be satisfied with what you have.

I think at some point the new gear becomes a distraction, it hard because we live in a materialistic society.
Consumerism and the synth of the day go hand in hand, for instance can anyone remember what synth we were obsessing on three years ago?

I have tried to slow way down with buying any new gear & its been hard to resist all the new stuff but the GAS passes (lol) eventually.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I've been doing photography far longer than I've been doing music, but there's a bit of overlap there insofar as both can be really GAS-prone and expensive. What's kept me from buying every last thing in sight (besides lack of cash) is three simple questions:

1. Does this fill a gap -- a need -- and not just a want?
2. Does this overlap with something else I've got that could do the same job?
3. Am I sure the gear's the problem, and not me?

It's not 100% foolproof; I've still ended up with stuff I thought I needed that I didn't use nearly as often as I thought I would when I got it, for instance. More often than not, though, it's the third question that ends up being the kicker, because I know full well I'm not always using the stuff I've got to its full capability, and sometimes the time and money is better spent on myself (learning new stuff, using what I've already got better) versus buying more gadgets.

Well, that, and I'm prone to paralyzing indecision, so by the time I'm ready to buy something it's usually discontinued and the process starts over again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll let Mr. Vai play us out on the acrylic guitar:
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Musical gymnastics..

Too much ******y....

Too many notes not enough song..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Too much ******y....

Too many notes not enough song..
But it sounds like a guitar, which is what's important.

I like how the violinists really got into it though, nice change from the usual stoic presentation.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's okay everybody calm down. I'm currently reading a book about the chemicals and hormones released by the reward center of the human brain. Surprise! We're all normal.

Edit: Well, truthfully, most of us are normal-ish.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
So your stuff is more important than yourself? ...I can get behind that.

This is what you sound like right now:

You got it backwards and upside down.

Things I can't change without a hacksaw: things.

Things I don't need a hacksaw to change: me.

Things that a hacksaw can change: furniture.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
It's okay everybody calm down. I'm currently reading a book about the chemicals and hormones released by the reward center of the human brain. Surprise! We're all normal.
Rather than read a book, you can try various chemicals upon those reward centers (there may be more than one! And sometimes one of them runs a discount! Keep an eye out for that!). Though poetry feeds reward centers more cheaply still, so far.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search