Old 12th June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
No, never tried the 16.
OK - thanks!
Old 17th June 2020
Lives for gear

I'm a fan after two weeks. It's so convenient. DAW controler mode works great, even with Auria on an iPad, works great as an Interface. You put it in SD-Reader mode and can send a stereo-mix to dropbox via the iPad or load wave-files out of Dropbox into the Model 12...
Old 20th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm a fan after two weeks. It's so convenient. DAW controler mode works great, even with Auria on an iPad, works great as an Interface. You put it in SD-Reader mode and can send a stereo-mix to dropbox via the iPad or load wave-files out of Dropbox into the Model 12...
So the SD records the main audio out? Your excellent reviews up thread mentioned it records eq, fx.... at the risk of sounding dumb does that also include fader movements, mutes and solos? Seems that way via the block diagram but wanted to double check before I purchased.

Really just looking for something that can capture a live jam, along with all the real time mixer adjustments... this or the Presonus look like what I am after (but the persons are mixers don’t have midi).

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Blackbelt Jones; 20th June 2020 at 04:29 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
So the SD records the main audio out? Your excellent reviews up thread mentioned it records eq, fx.... at the risk of sounding dumb does that also include fader movements, mutes and solos? Seems that way via the block diagram but wanted to double check before I purchased.

Really just looking for something that can capture a live jam, along with all the real time mixer adjustments... this or the Presonus look like what I am after (but the persons are mixers don’t have midi).

Thanks!!!
the sd always records the main-mix with all settings (eq, comp., fader movements. regarding the recording of the single tracks, you can choose in the menue if you record dry before comp, dry after comp or after the comp. and the eq.
fader movements have no impact on the single track recording, just on the main mix.
the solo settings only impact the monitor bus, not the main mix.
Lives for gear

Quote:
the sd always records the main-mix with all settings (eq, comp., fader movements. regarding the recording of the single tracks, you can choose in the menue if you record dry before comp, dry after comp or after the comp. and the eq.
fader movements have no impact on the single track recording, just on the main mix.
the solo settings only impact the monitor bus, not the main mix.
Outstanding... ty for the reply. Looks like I’m making a purchase then!
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post

Thanks!!!
It records each input separately plus the stereo mix. The stereo mix would contain all your fader moves and mutes but probably would not record a solo, you solo things so you can hear them in your headphones or the control room without disturbing the main mix.
So you sort of get the best of both worlds, a stereo mix of your mixer fiddling plus all the separate inputs for you to remix if you messed it up!
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Just ordered one and can't wait. Ideal for jams, with the capability of uploading to DAW for editing / spice.

I am rather amused at some of the comments in this thread regarding the limitations and capabilities. First world problems and attitudes I think: this is circa about £500 and represents great value.

It has MIDI clock, which is important for me - good luck trying to find an alternative for that in current production.
For sure, I could get that if I always wanted to be hooked to a DAW, but I don't for jams with friends... casual. Hit record and enjoy.

Digital / analog has been raised. Most, eyes closed can't tell a jam jar from a bottle of sauce. So, lets get real here... if it sounds good it is good. Demos sound A++

Motorised faders and pots: Are some people that ********? At 500 notes... you think you can have that?

Stereo auxy's: Your having a laugh. On a mono channel? LOL

I think that most wish-listing or complaining on this unit have low experience of real desks and no experience of recording outside a DAW.

It is what it is. Actually in my eyes, a rather wonderful piece of kit that combines some old school methodology with the latest digital recording tech. Just a few years ago this level of capability would have been the preserve of machines costing upwards of 10k. Get over it and enjoy your freedom

Rant over. If I have negatives to post I will, but unlikely as my expectations are grounded in reality.
Old 7th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
How are you liking the audio quality of the Model 12 audio interface? I have a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre audio interface and am thinking about selling it once I get a Tascam Model 12. I'm wondering if it's a good replacement or if the Clarett has better convertors. I'll have to search some threads too to see if anyone's commented on the quality of the audio convertors.
Old 7th July 2020
Lives for gear

I would say that the Ultra HDDA preamp and convertors are as good or better than the Focusrite.

Tascam have just added a VAMP function to the software which enables you to loop playback.

I dont think they have this feature on the 16 or 24 yet.

Cheers
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Tascam have just added a VAMP function to the software which enables you to loop playback.

I dont think they have this feature on the 16 or 24 yet.
Not yet, but I sure hope they do (if possible).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
How are you liking the audio quality of the Model 12 audio interface? I have a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre audio interface and am thinking about selling it once I get a Tascam Model 12. I'm wondering if it's a good replacement or if the Clarett has better convertors. I'll have to search some threads too to see if anyone's commented on the quality of the audio convertors.
It is as good as other middle-class interfaces, like the poster above already said: the hdda-preamps on channel 1-6 are great, although just 50 db. The EQ section on both the channels and the mix is very usable too.

Vamp is great. More for playing and learning songs or playing small loops live, but not for recording! It doesn't make it a looper. For recording one has to use punch-in.

I repeat myself: but it is just so convenient with the metronom, midi, the routing possibilities. It makes recording so much easier instead of having to use a daw or just a recorder without the convenience of a full mixing desk like the model 12.
Old 8th July 2020
Here for the gear
Got the following reply from Tascam support today: "We have heard of no current plans to add the VAMP feature to the Model 16."
Old 8th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

How would you use this sexy desk with an Stereo Processing Chain like the Elysia Xpressor? Connecting it to the Sub Out and then back into a Stereo Channel?
Old 9th July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs672 View Post
How would you use this sexy desk with an Stereo Processing Chain like the Elysia Xpressor? Connecting it to the Sub Out and then back into a Stereo Channel?
I would use the Aux sends and bring it back through one of the stereo returns (Model 16, but will work on Model 12, too).
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Nut
Watch out for feedback loop
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Monster 65 View Post
I would use the Aux sends and bring it back through one of the stereo returns (Model 16, but will work on Model 12, too).
thx but that makes no sense for me as I would have to Use both Auxes to get a Stereo Out. I want to process an stereo Signal trough a menage a troi of Stereo Processing Units in a 500 Box.

I guess the Sub Out is the cleanest solution? Would having the Chain "inserted" on my 1/2 Channel mute this Pair when the Chain is unpowered?
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs672 View Post
thx but that makes no sense for me as I would have to Use both Auxes to get a Stereo Out. I want to process an stereo Signal trough a menage a troi of Stereo Processing Units in a 500 Box.
Yeah - that’s what I do.

I assume that if you hard pan your channels (or even soft, though you’d get signal on both sides as you’d expect), you could use sub out as a stereo send. Just watch your input levels into your FX unit. Then you’d still have your aux sends for more FX if needed or desired.
Old 10th July 2020
Here for the gear
I needed exactly what this unit offers - direct hookup to my computer, effectively replacing an external USB sound card. Balanced stereo line inputs for my DJ mixers. Inputs with high Z for guitars, basses. Decent mic preamps. DAW integration? bonus. Onboard recording? Bonus. Built in Bluetooth and effects? Bonus.

I've had this thing for about 2 weeks, it's working great for me. Hooked up my monitors to it, very clean & quiet sound for my normal use. For $599, I feel like this was a great deal. I did finally realize I had center-panned channels 1 and 2 (coming out of my computer) instead of hard panning them left and right, sounds a lot better once I realized that.
Old 12th July 2020
Gear Maniac
Trying to decide between the 12 and 16 - it looks to me like the digital converters on the 16 and 24 are just after the input compressor before EQ or anything - so really the only difference between them in terms of analog vs digital is input gain and the one knob compressor?
Old 13th July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Signal path on the 16 & 24 is analog; on the 12 it's digital. Compressors on the 16 & 24 are also analog - I believe they're digital on the 12. Will you be able to tell the difference? I don't know ...
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Maniac
Ah, looking at the signal diagram in the manual I misunderstood the Sound on Sound review (compressor 'prints to tape' but not EQ) - the SD card records individual tracks between the compressor and the EQ unmixed.
Old 13th July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Right - on playback/mixdown, you can record the EQ as you want it. Like working with an old tape machine/mixer setup.
Old 15th July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

One nice feature of the Model 12 is multiple headphone outs. Can anyone attest to their quality?

Also, I was wondering about some basic usability things like how long it takes to boot up (compared to an analog mixer, which is just about instantaneous).
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

Tascam headphone outs are known to have plenty of juice.

Cheers
Old 15th July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronkite View Post
Also, I was wondering about some basic usability things like how long it takes to boot up (compared to an analog mixer, which is just about instantaneous).
Just tried mine, it comes up in about 5 seconds.
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Addict

can somebody please confirm that this unit locks with a midi hardware sequencer or drum machine so you can shuttle backwards and forwards along the track with both units locked in sync via midi?....can the Tascam be slave as well as master?

Last edited by musicman666; 28th July 2020 at 08:27 AM..
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Head

Tascam Model 12

In Canada the retail price is $850 but these new Tascam units are big step up what what was offered before. Even without a computer a band can actually record, mix and master all on this unit. The DP-02 / DP-03 was nice but you could only record 2 tracks at a time. And only one effect send. No monitor out for powered monitors.

The DP-24 was o.k. but many hate channel strips. Me, I like having pan and effect sends at my finger tips. And with a full mixer section you just take look at the mixer and see where you our at. With the DP-24 you couldn't do that. You had to press SELECT for the track you wanted. You knew the fader positions but that was it. Not very useful. The DP-24 was great for recording (used it for bar bands and small venues) but not to good for mixing. Unless you were doing only static mixes. And who does static mixes?
Old 1st August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Tascam Model 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibe View Post
Just ordered one and can't wait. Ideal for jams, with the capability of uploading to DAW for editing / spice.

I am rather amused at some of the comments in this thread regarding the limitations and capabilities. First world problems and attitudes I think: this is circa about £500 and represents great value.

It has MIDI clock, which is important for me - good luck trying to find an alternative for that in current production.
For sure, I could get that if I always wanted to be hooked to a DAW, but I don't for jams with friends... casual. Hit record and enjoy.

Digital / analog has been raised. Most, eyes closed can't tell a jam jar from a bottle of sauce. So, lets get real here... if it sounds good it is good. Demos sound A++

Motorised faders and pots: Are some people that ********? At 500 notes... you think you can have that?

Stereo auxy's: Your having a laugh. On a mono channel? LOL

I think that most wish-listing or complaining on this unit have low experience of real desks and no experience of recording outside a DAW.

It is what it is. Actually in my eyes, a rather wonderful piece of kit that combines some old school methodology with the latest digital recording tech. Just a few years ago this level of capability would have been the preserve of machines costing upwards of 10k. Get over it and enjoy your freedom

Rant over. If I have negatives to post I will, but unlikely as my expectations are grounded in reality.

No argument here. I don't get it! What do people expect? Tascam has learned from their past and come up with a great 12 track recorder / mixer / DAW controller. And all for for $500 ($850 in Canada). And it can be used on it's own with no computer. This is a big step up from the DP-02 /03 that could only record 2 tracks at a time. And although the DP-24 /32 were nice I hate channel strips. Especially for live band mixing. If I can't hear the bass I want to be able to go to Channel 20 and yank up the fader. Not fiddle with a Select button. With an analog mixer you can just look at the board and know what is going on in your mix. Up to 16 tracks anyway. With a SSL4098 G / G+ board that is a difference story.

Motorized faders? What the fudge? For $850 CANUCK?
When you need to mix 64 tracks on an analog board then you need flying faders. But 12 and for $850 Canadian?
Back in the 1968 when some engineers were luck enough to have the Scully 284-12, 1 inch 12 track recorder they were no flying faders. No automation. And they managed to make legendary records. Back in 1985 I would have died for something like this. I had to record local school bands with my 4 track Tascam! And in the case of the 4 track cassette THEY REALLY DID BOTTOM OUT AT 12 500 hz. With the exception of a few models. I stuck to mono drums to avoid unnecessary bouncing. So if a band was drums, guitars, bass and vocals NO bouncing was necessary. I used a cheap Radio Shack mixer for the drum premix. One microphone overhead and one on the kick premixed to Track 1. Hey it worked for Motown? They had way better mikes then I had.

This Tascam is a 16 year old boy's dream come true. Yes, three effects ends would be nice. Wouldn't say no to full automation, and proper metering but there is a limit at $500 USD.

Stereo Auxs? No comment.

Just as a 12 track digital recorder it rocks. You can record 10 inputs at once, you get a full mixer section, 2 AUX sends (post or pre fader Lev.), built in effects for both Aux sends, MIDI, the ability to create different headphone mixes, DAW control and lots more. And all for $500 USD ($850 Candadian)

A large band could record their demo album with this unit and without using a computer! Is it perfect? NO. But at $500 USD I CALL THAT A BARGAIN....THE BEST I EVER HAD.....THE BEST I EVER HAD!

Last edited by DASH3348HR; 1st August 2020 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 17th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got the model 12 last saturday. So far I'm really impressed. It's just so easy to do what I(!) want. Reminds me a lot of the Yamaha N-series. Still use a n8 at one of the bands I'm playing in for rehearsals and small gigs. Never understood that Yamaha gave up this series. Years ago one of the longest thread in the history of Gearslutz was about the n-Series.
Ah yes, spent years in that thread!

My n12 is now in storage as I have moved down to L.A. for awhile. I've got a Model 12 coming tomorrow. I've been working ITB but I can't get my wife to use a DAW to record her piano parts. So this unit comes out and it looks perfect to help our situation out. She wants to hit a record button and play, so I'll set this up next to her piano and off she'll go.

Thanks for your post, and I'll try to contribute this thread going forward.
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

OK. got my Model 12 in and being playing around with it.

Not ready to do a real review yet, so just a few comments.

I primarily picked this up for my wife who is a pianist and one who has no desire to get into DAW's. I got up and running with it (Some Youtube videos are pretty good and can help) and am pleasantly surprised. I've ran a Yamaha n12 for years and this unit just confirms how much more I like working OTB. However it is truly a hybrid approach. So once I figured out how to set it for recording I ran through the steps with the wife and she's taking to it like ducks to water. Its pretty simple to just name a song and hit the record button. So right off the bat this is a win for me. She's laying down tracks and I don't have to be around messing with a DAW for her to record.

I did manage to get it setup as DAW controller with Cubase 10.5, and it works great! Like I said, I am not a ITB fan at all but I can work ITB when I need to, depending on the project. I have also transferred some tracks from Cubase to the Model 12 which has also worked well. And sure, you can use this as a summing mixer if you want. The preamps are nice, certainly in the n12 league, however you do have to kind of crank the gain on dynamics, but it works. That said I have a 500 series box so I hooked a CAPI and Neve pre into the insert jacks on chan 1 and 2, and bypassed the Mod 12 pre's. I think this is the only way to bypass them if you want. But the pre's in this unit are certainly useable.

I think the the build quality is good, faders and knobs are smooth. It's a fun little unit to use and I will get more in to it and explore it's versatility. But for the price this really is a nice unit.
📝 Reply