The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Spring Reverb plug-in in 2020?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Best Spring Reverb plug-in in 2020?

Looking around online, I’m surprised at the lack of information I’ve found. Not sure if it’s because not much exists or if I’m just not looking hard enough.

I have all of the valahalla plugins and love them. AFAIK, none of them are meant to model spring reverbs.

As of January 2020, what are some of the best spring reverbs out there? Bonus points if free, but interested at all price points.

I am also debating building a cheap hardware diy one, but that’s for another discussion haha

Thank you!

EDIT: below is a list of all suggestions, condensed, in no particular order

Last edited by Stevism; 2 weeks ago at 09:35 PM.. Reason: updated original post with links of suggestions
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not a whole lot that sound super convincing over real bongy hardware but if the new Eventide Spring plugin sounds like the H9 algorithm that’s probably the best out there that I know of in plugin form. Another one that sounds a bit more like a studio spring unit is the Softube one. Also the IK Fender plugin bundle comes with a pretty stellar surf Fender Reverb Tank.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Twangstrom by u-he

https://u-he.com/products/twangstrom/

A solid spring reverb, decent price and very sonically flexible and sounds great. With a drive section, filter, envelope follower, lfo and mod matrix it's a diverse and useful FX plugin for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If you're an Ableton/Max user, there's a free Convolution Reverb with some spring reverbs that are really awesome. I was skeptical until I started playing through them.

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/convolution-reverb/
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Psp spring box is a favorite over here, along with psp Nexcellence which is modeled after a Necklace-type spring verb
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by R7P View Post
Valhalla does indeed have a spring reverb!

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-plate/
Aren’t those plates? Didn’t see a spring algorithm in the specs but maybe I missed it
Old 4 weeks ago
R7P
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyr View Post
Aren’t those plates? Didn’t see a spring algorithm in the specs but maybe I missed it
Sorry, migraine brain I’ll delete it. Don’t know what I was thinking there.
Old 4 weeks ago
R7P
Gear Maniac

Eventide has a spring reverb now.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/produc.../reverb/spring
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

To my ears, the Soft Tube Spring reverb is the best on the market. It basically does one thing but does it exceedingly well. It seems expensive at $89.00, but if you really want a great spring sound, it's totally worth it..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’ve yet to be fully satisfied with any plugin springs. Audiothing’s Springs is good, but still not quite as satisfying as the real thing.

People keep saying Eventide’s new one is great, but it sounds particularly artificial to me. Cool as its own special effect reverb, but I’m not getting a true spring vibe from it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

wow awesome thanks everyone! going to investigate these!
Old 4 weeks ago
Just got Eventide's on sale the other day but haven't had a chance to do anything other than install it yet. Picked up Nexcellence for $20 on Black Friday and that was totally worth it. Pretty decent for deep and heavy dub reverb stuff. Tried out the demo of the Overloud Spring Age and that thing rules, but no clue how close the models are to the originals. My whole studio is MPC based now so I have no idea why I even bought the Eventide one the other day, I only see Logic when a song is done and needs to be captured heh. I picked up an old Furman spring on Thursday for the mixer. Cant wait til that thing gets here next week.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AKG BX 20 is stellar but it's only for the UAD platform.

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/r...20-reverb.html
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If I didn’t have the real thing on tap, I would probably hit up Eventide.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post

Wow, those demos sound amazing.

It’s a bit out of my price range for a plug-in / I’m not in the UAD ecosystem, but it’s great to know what could be
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post

The BX20 is kind of it’s own thing all together. Much more plate-like than spring-y, but still one of the best sounds ever. Can’t wait for the day another company makes a native emulation of it that can rival this one. I’d like to think it’ll be Arturia after they just released that excellent free plate.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks to this thread I listened to a bunch of these plugins. I only have the spring emulation in the Big Sky for now, which I don't like. I really like the u-he Twangstrom. It sounded just right with my electric guitar, I haven't tried it on any synths yet, but I'm sold.
Old 4 weeks ago
Theres a BX20 on Reverb right now but its got a $9999 asking price and its local pickup only hah. Good luck getting rid of that thing at home!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post

Wow, those demos sound amazing.

It’s a bit out of my price range for a plug-in / I’m not in the UAD ecosystem, but it’s great to know what could be
Yeah, I tend to do my UAD shopping around July and December (big sale months) when things can be purchased half price or even cheaper.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

thanks again for the suggestions everyone. i collected links to the previous suggestions and put them in the OP.

I've played around with a lot of these and i think I'm leaning towards the AudioThing Springs

really cool how many types of equipment they model, down to the noise. This one also has the most of that "spring" bouncy/boin g sound, as well as variety of them.

but honestly all of the suggestions have their strong points. don't know if i can pick just one...so i probably will get a couple haha.

at least until i find space to get a real unit
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
Thanks to this thread I listened to a bunch of these plugins. I only have the spring emulation in the Big Sky for now, which I don't like. I really like the u-he Twangstrom. It sounded just right with my electric guitar, I haven't tried it on any synths yet, but I'm sold.
Twangstrom is a pleasingly musical plugin... it can be shaped in all sorts of ways with the mod matrix and envelope follower
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks again for the suggestions everyone. i collected links to the previous suggestions and put them in the OP.

I've played around with a lot of these and i think I'm leaning towards the AudioThing Springs

really cool how many types of equipment they model, down to the noise. This one also has the most of that "spring" bouncy/boin g sound, as well as variety of them.

but honestly all of the suggestions have their strong points. don't know if i can pick just one...so i probably will get a couple haha.

Audiothing's Springs is a great choice!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Just saw that Eventide’s is $29

https://www.eventideaudio.com/produc.../reverb/spring
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

No one's mentioned Aegean Music's Spirit Reverb -- definitely worth a try, and at $40 quite affordable. It can get nice and boin g-ey...

https://aegeanmusic.com/spirit-reverb
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nice, thank you for suggesting it! I have added it to the OP list and I will be checking it out!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I really like PSP spring box and the BX-20 but nothing beats this one

https://youtu.be/ZA_yikxklO8

You have to get creative with gates to get the delay time where you want it some times but just Wow
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Vermona makes a couple 1U rack units. The Furman I just got is also 1U. Plenty of space, you dont NEED a big AKG (they're probably out of most of our price ranges nowadays). A new Vermona VSR is a little over $300 and you can score the Furman's and old Fostex/Boss/etc's for just under that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I settled on Audio-Thing.
Killer Spring sounds.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

For those king tubby style springs- Arturia Just oof!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search