The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Spring Reverb plug-in in 2020?
Old 5 days ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
As of January 2020, what are some of the best spring reverbs out there? Bonus points if free, but interested at all price points. [/LIST]
The best springs for me are Convolution impulses using S.i.r or something . especially for Springs / plates and small spaces and some old hardware.

I personally owned a lot of old springs and I also tried almost every algorithmic reverb including Uad and I own a lot of hardware fx and I am still dumbstruck that more people are not using Impulses as to my ears they are the closest thing to a lot of hardware but I say the same thing about Nebula.

I am not saying there are no good algorithmic plugins, they have all been mentioned and I use some as they are stunning but they have a certain flavour
to my ears but most can't do what a good impulse can which is to get you closer to that hardwares grain and output colouration and the idiosyncrasies and sonic soul of the actual box.

I have found nothing better Itb than Convolution impulses for Spring reverbs.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
The best springs for me are Convolution impulses using S.i.r or something . especially for Springs / plates and small spaces and some old hardware.

I personally owned a lot of old springs and I also tried almost every algorithmic reverb including Uad and I own a lot of hardware fx and I am still dumbstruck that more people are not using Impulses as to my ears they are the closest thing to a lot of hardware but I say the same thing about Nebula.

I am not saying there are no good algorithmic plugins, they have all been mentioned and I use some as they are stunning but they have a certain flavour
to my ears but most can't do what a good impulse can which is to get you closer to that hardwares grain and output colouration and the idiosyncrasies and sonic soul of the actual box.

I have found nothing better Itb than Convolution impulses for Spring reverbs.
Yes, I have the same impression. Also the often recommended Twangstrom sounds artificial to me when I tried the demo after the release it in the past. Is there an update since the release? Not that it sounded bad. It was a good sounding reverb, but the spring 'chirp' sound did not sound real and not pleasant to my ears like it does on a real spring reverb. I tried a lot of tweaking to get the chirp right, but I could not. Maybe I missed a thing. But after that I have been using only impulse responses.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman View Post
Yes, I have the same impression. Also the often recommended Twangstrom sounds artificial to me when I tried the demo after the release it in the past. Is there an update since the release? Not that it sounded bad. It was a good sounding reverb, but the spring 'chirp' sound did not sound real and not pleasant to my ears like it does on a real spring reverb. I tried a lot of tweaking to get the chirp right, but I could not. Maybe I missed a thing. But after that I have been using only impulse responses.
I also used mainly IRs for spring reverb sound. But also had high expectations for Twangstrom, but passed it after I’ve had a demo. On other hand, yesterday I have tried new Arturia spring without any hopes, and it sounded so nice and has enough options that I might end up getting it. It claims to be algo based (not sampled) and it is more tweakable than plain IRs.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I decided not to buy Twangstrom. I decided not to buy any of the software emulations.
I tried a couple of real spring pedals, even those were hit and miss and they all sounded very different from one another.
I tried the Source Audio True Spring pedal and liked it pretty well.
Then I played through the Electro Harmonix Oceans 11 and was impressed by the spring emulation. It's exactly the sound I'm looking for. I wasn't blown away by the other reverb emus in the pedal so I might buy it just for the spring. But there are rumors of an upcoming stereo version- Oceans 12. I'll wait for that and hope the spring algorithm is the same or get the 11.

I have to comment, that TC Electronic Drip pedal is terrible! I guess it's cheap but wow.

Last edited by ljefe; 2 days ago at 03:28 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Well I shopped the sales today, I thought I'd come home with an Oceans 11 or a True Spring or a Ventris. But after playing them all again, I'm still shopping. None of these pedals are satisfying me, there's something missing. The Oceans 11 gets the drip part right, but the tail isn't natural. The Ventris sounds interesting but not like a spring, the drip sounds synthetic. The True Spring is okay, but not quite right.
The other reverbs in the Ventris were quite nice. The plate reverb in the Oceans 11 sounded good but I didn't enjoy the other 9 selections. None of these are making me happy. I think I'm back to looking for real springs.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
Well I shopped the sales today, I thought I'd come home with an Oceans 11 or a True Spring or a Ventris. But after playing them all again, I'm still shopping. None of these pedals are satisfying me, there's something missing. The Oceans 11 gets the drip part right, but the tail isn't natural. The Ventris sounds interesting but not like a spring, the drip sounds synthetic. The True Spring is okay, but not quite right.
The other reverbs in the Ventris were quite nice. The plate reverb in the Oceans 11 sounded good but I didn't enjoy the other 9 selections. None of these are making me happy. I think I'm back to looking for real springs.
I went through both a True Spring and an Oceans 11 before deciding pedals haven’t really managed to nail the sound. Sold the True Spring and held on to the Oceans 11 just because it has a lot of extra bang for the buck besides the pretty meh spring emulation. So far I think good impulse responses are the closest things to getting the sound correct that I’ve heard, and I’ve tried a lot of stuff. I probably should just get some real springs, but Audiothing’s Springs is the happiest I’ve been from an emulation.

The new Arturia one sounds pretty good from the demos I’ve heard, but I haven’t had the chance to try it out for myself.

Also obviously it’s a whole different sound than the typical spring, but I’m really looking forward to the BX20 emulation in the soon to be released IK Sunset Sound Studio plugin. That plus the plates and chambers and rooms of Sunset are going to make it a must buy for me.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Another vote for me for the Arturia one.

I compared it to the Fairchild Spring reverb I got at the studio and was really impressed.

I was not very happy with spring reverb too, I kind of liked the AKG one in Altiverb, but they sounded nicer than what I had in mind for a spring.

Give it a try if you can. It also has a nasty input saturation when pushed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search