Leak: Korg DX7 Clone? The OPSIX
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Nut

Leak: Korg DX7 Clone? The OPSIX

Sorry if already mentioned:

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...eak_dx7_clone/
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

That would be a very weird thing to clone for Korg. They did FM synths of their own in the past, the DS-8. Maybe they’re building on that .
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Weird move.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Wonder if it's the Kronos' MOD-7 engine in standalone form? If so, it will be mine.

EDIT: Probably not, with that smallish display. Still I'll take a look but the Wavestate has my cash so far.

Last edited by robotunes; 15th January 2020 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: second guess
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Old 15th January 2020
Gear Maniac

The Volca FM was already a 6-op FM synth using the DX7 architecture, so this might be a full size version of something like the Volca FM with more voices.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

could fit, is not a synth from korg.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

I'm surprised if this is real.

Surely they would have put more sliders and real time data control to set it apart from the numerous other FM incarnations.

But it has a Korg logo, has the Kronos gun metal livery and glossy side panels.

Hmmm..... shame theres no hint of mint green.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Intriguing, like people have said it looks weird with reserved controls and why they show all the algos on thé case rather than have it on a screen? Looks so 80s?

Odd one! Hopefully it does something cool
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Nut

A full size, dedicated fm synth! I like it so far...
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear
More interesting with the withe Fairlight CMI 4 on the floor!
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Nut

The more I study the picture the more I question if this is real. Guess I should've thought about that before making this thread.

In any case, if it is real, it would make a decent controller keyboard regardless of the FM engine and questionably dated design.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

What if it has a sequencer like the Wavestate, with separate lanes.
Algorithm, operator amplitude, operator pitch.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M_R View Post
The Volca FM was already a 6-op FM synth using the DX7 architecture, so this might be a full size version of something like the Volca FM with more voices.
That makes the most sense. The algorithms seems to be identical to the DX7 as well.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Interesting..!
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

I want demo now!
Old 16th January 2020
Deleted 0fc8128
Love the original color “kackbraun”!!
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

So many of you wanted an FM synth with real time controls. Have you changed your minds, or has this piqued your interest?

I also liked the original olive-brown DX7.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
So many of you wanted an FM synth with real time controls. Have you changed your minds, or has this piqued your interest?
I’m definately interested. It’s not quite the amount of controls preferred, but since it’s 6 of every group of knobs and faders, it’s absolutely in the right direction.
Old 16th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
That would be a very weird thing to clone for Korg. They did FM synths of their own in the past, the DS-8. Maybe they’re building on that .
Hope that is the case. The ds8/707 sounded good and the build in effects were ahead of its time.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

But does it have that DAC?
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

On the DS-8, that was a very basic FM synth. Not too bad, but it took so much of the engine, so many parameters out of your hands, and I believe reduced it all to a pair of sliders and some basic algorithms. I believe it was also the DX9 engine of four operators. With those 32 algorithms on board the OPSIX, it's clearly something like the MOD7 engine which Yamaha seems happy to let other companies play with, while it uses its more advanced FM-X engine. I'll be curious to see if it uses the entire MOD7 synth with its filters, waveforms and modularish patchability. If it's essentially the MOD7 engine intact, you'll have a KORG version of the SY77 but with some real time control, which will be a good FM synth.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

As said above, a step in the right direction...but full knob/slider/button per function would be godly...especially if it was 8OP.
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Head

Is no one gonna mention the second keyboard on the floor? Seems very workstation-like
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

2 threads... please merge!
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

**puts on tinfoil hat**

The way certain areas pixelate, it looks like certain sections are photoshopped on.

I may just be an idiot though.

or both
Attached Thumbnails
Leak: Korg DX7 Clone? The OPSIX-screenshot_2020-01-15-19-04-40.jpg   Leak: Korg DX7 Clone? The OPSIX-screenshot_2020-01-15-19-05-19.jpg   Leak: Korg DX7 Clone? The OPSIX-screenshot_2020-01-15-19-04-58.jpg   Leak: Korg DX7 Clone? The OPSIX-screenshot_2020-01-15-19-04-47.jpg  
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
**puts on tinfoil hat**

The way certain areas pixelate, it looks like certain sections are photoshopped on.

I may just be an idiot though.

or both
That's just how JPEG compression works. You get more artifacts in high-detail areas.
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
As said above, a step in the right direction...but full knob/slider/button per function would be godly...especially if it was 8OP.
That control panel would be stadium sized! I guess you could call that godly!
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Addict

Why is it so ugly?
Old 16th January 2020
Mod-7 or go home!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search