The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akai MPC one
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1200 View Post
How is everyone who owns an MPC ONEs headphone jack? Mine works but seems super loosey goosey, poorly made. Not sure if it's just mine?
Mine seems fine. I have a couple of minor cosmetic issues that I've decided to live with. Maybe consider exchanging it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Yup, sticking the screen and controls on the right hand side was dumb as fck

Oh, dear. So even its little-bro is a disabled monstrosity. Thank God their new kid seems healthy. I am 98% certain, I will adopt it now. Cannot see any reason that I shouldn’t so far.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Noob queation, never used an MPC but interested in the One, can you very easily change pitch on samples like on the SP1200, therea re no sliders on MPC, can you really manipulte the samples in real time easily, I guess using the touch screen... not looked at detailed vids yet and not familiar with its 'workflow'....

just want it to jam on, record my bass into, beats etc...

Apologice is this is a dumb question !???
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zawinul View Post
Noob queation, never used an MPC but interested in the One, can you very easily change pitch on samples like on the SP1200, therea re no sliders on MPC, can you really manipulte the samples in real time easily, I guess using the touch screen... not looked at detailed vids yet and not familiar with its 'workflow'....

also curious about this, would be nice to have the q-links automatically map to common sample parameters when selecting a sample/pad when playing back.

I can even see a more advanced scenario, a MIDI SP1200 mode, where Akai auto-maps their Akai MIDImix controller to change sample pitch, start and length SP-style. I think it would be a very nice addition.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1200mk2 View Post
Mine seems fine. I have a couple of minor cosmetic issues that I've decided to live with. Maybe consider exchanging it?
Mine's stiff, I'd exchange yours before it's too late.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes you can manipulate the sample pitches on the "Program Edit" page with coarse or fine control. You can also use the q-link knobs to turn and play the pitch. You can also record those "played" pitch changes into the track with automation. For a different way there is a 16 level button that you can hit to temporarily split a sample by pitch across the pads and play or record that. You can also setup the q-links to have the pitch change always available for a specific pad or whole program.

Check out the manual in the downloads section of https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-one the parts I am referring to are the "Program Edit Mode" samples tab 1 and 2, "Q-Link Edit Mode", and the "Operation/16 Level" and "Operation/Automation" sections.

You can also setup keygroup programs for another way to do pitch changes and then use pad perform mode for playing in different scales. There is also pitch changes on the sample edit page and maybe some other places I'm forgetting. There is also way more than just pitch that you can do in the same way like attack/decay/release, filter settings, env, etc check the "Q-Link Edit Mode" section of the manual for the list. You can record automations for that stuff with the autmation button on the top right of most screen modes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
not looked at detailed vids yet and not familiar with its 'workflow'....
The workflow is a Project which contains Sequences which contains Tracks which are assigned to Programs. You can think of the Programs like patches or sound sets so you can flip through them even after you have recorded their Track data. Sequence is a dumb name because it is really just a collection of tracks and the Track is the actual traditional "sequence" of midi notes.

Don't like how the drums sound on Track 3 then load/create/edit a new Program and just the sounds change not the recorded beat. Each sequence also has 8 audio tracks so you can have vocals, instruments, or whatever long running recorded data to go along with the midi tracks.

There are several ways to approach but I set each Sequence to a part of the song like Intro, Chorus, Verse1. Then build up a song part by part with how many of each I want in whatever order as the song. Then concentrate on just one section or swap it out until I get what I like.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by three86 View Post
Yes you can manipulate the sample pitches on the "Program Edit" page with coarse or fine control. You can also use the q-link knobs to turn and play the pitch. You can also record those "played" pitch changes into the track with automation. For a different way there is a 16 level button that you can hit to temporarily split a sample by pitch across the pads and play or record that. You can also setup the q-links to have the pitch change always available for a specific pad or whole program.

Check out the manual in the downloads section of https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-one the parts I am referring to are the "Program Edit Mode" samples tab 1 and 2, "Q-Link Edit Mode", and the "Operation/16 Level" and "Operation/Automation" sections.

You can also setup keygroup programs for another way to do pitch changes and then use pad perform mode for playing in different scales. There is also pitch changes on the sample edit page and maybe some other places I'm forgetting. There is also way more than just pitch that you can do in the same way like attack/decay/release, filter settings, env, etc check the "Q-Link Edit Mode" section of the manual for the list. You can record automations for that stuff with the autmation button on the top right of most screen modes.
Many thanks for the detailed info, seems there are many ways to skin that cat!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by three86 View Post
The workflow is a Project which contains Sequences which contains Tracks which are assigned to Programs. You can think of the Programs like patches or sound sets so you can flip through them even after you have recorded their Track data. Sequence is a dumb name because it is really just a collection of tracks and the Track is the actual traditional "sequence" of midi notes.

Don't like how the drums sound on Track 3 then load/create/edit a new Program and just the sounds change not the recorded beat. Each sequence also has 8 audio tracks so you can have vocals, instruments, or whatever long running recorded data to go along with the midi tracks.

There are several ways to approach but I set each Sequence to a part of the song like Intro, Chorus, Verse1. Then build up a song part by part with how many of each I want in whatever order as the song. Then concentrate on just one section or swap it out until I get what I like.
Cheers many thanks feel like I'm warming to this ....
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1200 View Post
How is everyone who owns an MPC ONEs headphone jack? Mine works but seems super loosey goosey, poorly made. Not sure if it's just mine?
Mine is solid. Overall the whole device is solid.
Old 5 days ago
just plugged my 2004 vintage DT-770s into them. I wouldnt call it confidence inspiring or "tank like" but it did hold a solid connection even while I wiggled it around. I dont think it will last as long as the rest of the unit but it is "serviceable"...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Mine feels like a normal headphone jack it isn't rock solid but has a tiny amount of wiggle. Feels like any 3.5mm jack on my grandmother. I don't think I would have even noticed if someone didn't bring it up. Probably will never use it because I always have a mixer. I was thinking it would be nice to have a battery like the Live (which I never really used) but then I look at the back and dread unplugging and re-plugging. Maybe on a future version a laptop style dock with more I/O then I could grab it and go.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Is there a way to transfer audio without ADC/DAC loss into the DAW? I guess the ADC on this thing is nothing that creates a special sound and therefore no quality loss due to conversion seems a good idea? I don't see a digital connection. Or is this a non issue for you?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman View Post
Is there a way to transfer audio without ADC/DAC loss into the DAW? I guess the ADC on this thing is nothing that creates a special sound and therefore no quality loss due to conversion seems a good idea? I don't see a digital connection. Or is this a non issue for you?
You can export songs as multitrack wav files and put them on a SD card or USB stick / drive. Vice versa as well: You can import any sample you want from the SD card or USB device connected. No DA/AD conversion needed.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maerteijn View Post
You can export songs as multitrack wav files and put them on a SD card or USB stick / drive. Vice versa as well: You can import any sample you want from the SD card or USB device connected. No DA/AD conversion needed.
I believe this is true for the X, Live, and One...

If I'm mistaken please say so.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I have owned an MC303, 505, 909, EMU MP7 and still own a Yamaha RM1x. Do not fancy pattern only Grooveboxes like Electribes or the new MCs for that matter. I love the self-containment of many tracks and song mode, that is, Grooveboxes as keyless workstations. I do not recall a package more complete and compact than this. It is a machine you sit down with everywhere, in trains, office, arm chairs or your bed without missing something. Compared to the oldies above, it basically offers what those lack, e.g. audio tracks, stand alone plugins, loads of memory, different track and control options. My bet is that I will probably have preordered at the end of this week. And it ain't GAS for sure, I would know. It is just because it makes sense to me. Cannot bring Fantom with me everywhere. This may likely be the modern groovebox I have been waiting for.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncarnateX View Post
I have owned an MC303, 505, 909, EMU MP7 and still own a Yamaha RM1x. Do not fancy pattern only Grooveboxes like Electribes or the new MCs for that matter. I love the self-containment of many tracks and song mode, that is, Grooveboxes as keyless workstations. I do not recall a package more complete and compact than this. It is a machine you sit down with everywhere, in trains, office, arm chairs or your bed without missing something. Compared to the oldies above, it basically offers what those lack, e.g. audio tracks, stand alone plugins, loads of memory, different track and control options. My bet is that I will probably have preordered at the end of this week. And it ain't GAS for sure, I would know. It is just because it makes sense to me. Cannot bring Fantom with me everywhere. This may likely be the modern groovebox I have been waiting for.
An MPC One on a train? Surely not in the cramped ones here in the Netherlands LOL. I like the thing but portable it’s not really?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
An MPC One on a train? Surely not in the cramped ones here in the Netherlands LOL. I like the thing but portable it’s not really?
If I can make music on a train with a big fat 2005 Bell laptop why shouldn't I be able to do it with this one? There is plenty of room in the trains to my work because I leave later than the first morning waves. I can even choose a seat with table: 4 seats with a table between them. Even single seats have small tables you can pull down. There are plenty of power sockets too and onboard internet, should you need it. Usually I need not any table but would simply sit with my laptop resting on my thighs. Maybe you should plead your gov for bigger and better trains in the Netherlands?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
If I can make music on a train with a big fat 2005 Bell laptop why shouldn't I be able to do it with this one? There is plenty of room in the trains to my work because I leave later than the first morning waves. I can even choose a seat with table: 4 seats with a table between them. Even single seats have small tables you can pull down. There are plenty of power sockets too and onboard internet, should you need it. Usually I need not any table but would simply sit with my laptop resting on my thighs. Maybe you should plead your gov for bigger and better trains in the Netherlands?
Im from the Netherlands as well and tbh he is blowing the train situation out of proportion. Don't travel when it's rush hour and you have plenty of space. The Dutch railroads are one of the most modern ones in the world.
Old 5 days ago
I used to love the trains in South London where you got to fight people trying to stab you, you Dutch ain't got nuthin'!!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64hz View Post
Im from the Netherlands as well and tbh he is blowing the train situation out of proportion. Don't travel when it's rush hour and you have plenty of space. The Dutch railroads are one of the most modern ones in the world.
LOL, let me know when you're playing around with the MPC One on your lap in a Dutch train. Make no mistake, I love to travel with the NS, I do it almost every day, but the MPC One doesn't even fit on those NS train foldable tables (or lap for that matter), not to mention the lack of battery.

Or am I missing something here?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Anyone figure out how to load the f9 keygroups they kept talking about at NAMM? Where are they located on the hd? All I see are drum groups.

Thanks!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
LOL, let me know when you're playing around with the MPC One on your lap in a Dutch train. Make no mistake, I love to travel with the NS, I do it almost every day, but the MPC One doesn't even fit on those NS train foldable tables (or lap for that matter)

Or am I missing something here?
Dimensions on the MPC One are 272 x 272 x 53mm. Just how much space do you need? I could easily make music with these dimensions on my lab even if I was squeezed into a tourist plane. What is your weight, you say?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Dimensions on the MPC One are 272 x 272 x 53mm. Just how much space do you need? I could easily make music with these dimensions on my lab even if I was squeezed into a tourist plane. What is your weight, you say?
Get an used Mpc Live for the same price.
You have a battery (mine still lasts 4/5 hours after 2 years of use) and you have 6 outputs which can be useful in live environment.
I travelled with my Live many times, it fits perfectly in a 17" bag.
For the rest, it's exactly the same as One.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpler View Post
Get an used Mpc Live for the same price.
Never. It is ugly and bigger. Not even remotely sexy. See my other posts about this. I do not need the battery either. As said, our trains have plenty of power sockets.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Never. It is ugly and bigger. Not even remotely sexy. See my other posts about this. I do not need the battery either. As said, our trains have plenty of power sockets.
Ahah you really think is ugly?
I like its design, it stands perfectly on a table.
But yeah to each its own, they are all the same at the end, One, X, Live.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpler View Post
Ahah you really think is ugly?
Like a disaster. I would understand those to whom One and Live are just about the same design but to me they look like they are from Heaven and Hell, respectively.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Like a disaster. I would understand those to whom one and live are just about the same design but to me they look like they are from heaven and hell, respectively.
Of course I prefer the hell one
Old 4 days ago
The MPC One looks like Danny DeVito
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The MPC One seems to be hitting the sweet spot for a lot of people. I've never seen so many Akai MPC reviews online. The price must have gotten a lot of people interested. Good move Akai.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search