The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Keystep Pro!!!
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
The latest firmware is absolutely a major improvement. Realtime sequencing actually works - I had a solid 20 minutes of jamming (driving an external MC-707, Prophet-08 and DeepMind 12) without any glitches. Erasing parts, adding new ones, overdubbing, stacking up thick chords, etc. Things held up very well.

This is the most "immediate" sequencer I've used in quite a while.
So do you recommend it now? What do you think still needs to be fixed?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
So do you recommend it now? What do you think still needs to be fixed?
At this point I feel reasonably confident recommending it. I haven't gone through all the features yet to see what else needs to be addressed - so I don't know if there's outstanding things to be fixed. I still haven't checkout scenes, drum maps, and any of the USB/CV/Gate connectivity.

I'm a little nervous that with the PolyBrute being released I doubt the KSP is going to get any more updates any time soon. But so far it is dramatically better than the previous version which was essentially unusable.

I haven't developed my muscle memory for the KSP yet. I'm sure once I start heavily using it that will come along and then I'll start finding the workflow issues / quirks.

Right now my biggest complaint is that the MIDI DIN outputs can't be individually addressed. I'm guessing that is a hardware limitation and the output ports are just paralleled to the same UART, but I don't know for certain.
Lives for gear

Quote:
At this point I feel reasonably confident recommending it. I haven't gone through all the features yet to see what else needs to be addressed - so I don't know if there's outstanding things to be fixed. I still haven't checkout scenes, drum maps, and any of the USB/CV/Gate connectivity.

I'm a little nervous that with the PolyBrute being released I doubt the KSP is going to get any more updates any time soon. But so far it is dramatically better than the previous version which was essentially unusable.

I haven't developed my muscle memory for the KSP yet. I'm sure once I start heavily using it that will come along and then I'll start finding the workflow issues / quirks.

Right now my biggest complaint is that the MIDI DIN outputs can't be individually addressed. I'm guessing that is a hardware limitation and the output ports are just paralleled to the same UART, but I don't know for certain.
When adjusting pressing controller, you are able to define whether midi out 1/2 port for knobs, so surely must be further addressed separately via update but I still search in menu often for some setting I’ve been daft about

Last edited by namnibor; 22nd September 2020 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Coffee in my frangelico
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmmm..that sucks....kind of a dealbreaker TBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
I just use one of the sockets to address several devices, via a MIDI splitter.
Lives for gear

Quote:
At this point I feel reasonably confident recommending it. ... I still haven't checkout scenes
Thanks for responding. I await your final verdict on scenes, as that's a big deal for me (as I learned on the RM1x and RS7000).

Been reading your posts for years, so if you're reasonably confident recommending it, that means a lot to me.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for responding. I await your final verdict on scenes, as that's a big deal for me (as I learned on the RM1x and RS7000).

Been reading your posts for years, so if you're reasonably confident recommending it, that means a lot to me.
Ha! We’re in the same boat just bought a maschine Mk3 but am looking for a nice compact keyboard to go with it that can also give me those Berlin school vibes if I want those.
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Bought this for a second time. Thought it was ready for use. Works fine midi out to my synths...until I try and play a sequence live. Constant double triggers. Hitting one key will make another key sound at least once per 16 steps....just awful. Can’t use the sequencer at all.....unless there is a setting that I need to look at. Just frustrated.
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therockfrog View Post
Bought this for a second time. Thought it was ready for use. Works fine midi out to my synths...until I try and play a sequence live. Constant double triggers. Hitting one key will make another key sound at least once per 16 steps....just awful. Can’t use the sequencer at all.....unless there is a setting that I need to look at. Just frustrated.
are you sure you don’t have some kind of midi Feedback loop going On? Or some kind of Randomize setting Activated?
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just received word from Arturia that the 2 DIN MIDI OUT ports are individually addressable, and that there is already an internal ticket/request to pick this up at some point:

"The two MIDI outputs are independent, to provide maximum flexibility when working with external hardware.

At the moment the two midi outs are exact copies, all of the midi messages would be outputted through both no matter what,

We have however already registered a feature request for the send of each tracks to either both or to a specific midi out port,

I've linked your ticket to the parent request so you'd be updated as soon as this has been implemented"
Quote:
I just received word from Arturia that the 2 DIN MIDI OUT ports are individually addressable, and that there is already an internal ticket/request to pick this up at some point:

"The two MIDI outputs are independent, to provide maximum flexibility when working with external hardware.

At the moment the two midi outs are exact copies, all of the midi messages would be outputted through both no matter what,

We have however already registered a feature request for the send of each tracks to either both or to a specific midi out port,

I've linked your ticket to the parent request so you'd be updated as soon as this has been implemented"
This is awesome news! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!
nIQ
Here for the gear

Quote:

Great news! I was going to kick my JX-3p out of my setup because it starts up in (midi) Omni mode and every time I have to repatch midi cables at startup. If I can adres it separate this problem disappears.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Excellent news! Thanks for following up I had a thought that this might be the case - glad to have it confirmed.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nIQ View Post
Great news! I was going to kick my JX-3p out of my setup because it starts up in (midi) Omni mode and every time I have to repatch midi cables at startup. If I can adres it separate this problem disappears.
FYI, You can use an Midi Solutions Event Processor to fix that issue if its really driving you crazy.
Lives for gear

Happy Dance! I’ve had my Waldorf Micro Q Omega out of midi chain because of some weirdness causing hanging notes, only her, she’s a fickle monstress, never mind her, but it’s ksp specific. No issues w hydrasynth desktop nor microfreak nor iPad sequencing from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Keystep Pro!!!-af84869c-9211-4c5d-bddd-96b369aadfce.jpg  
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
At this point I feel reasonably confident recommending it. ... I still haven't checkout scenes, drum maps
I'm 'bout to pull the trigger. Found any gotchas yet?
Old 9th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm 'bout to pull the trigger. Found any gotchas yet?
Nothing yet but I've not been too deep. Got distracted by the MC-707
Old 18th October 2020
Deleted 91769da
Does anyone know if you can sequence and arpeggiate a synth with the Keystep Pro while playing the keys of the synth rather than being tied to the mini keys on the Keystep Pro?
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 91769da View Post
Does anyone know if you can sequence and arpeggiate a synth with the Keystep Pro while playing the keys of the synth rather than being tied to the mini keys on the Keystep Pro?
I do exactly this while sequencing my Microfreak, As I discovered a very cool happy accident in that even though the key step pro only transmits channel after touch the flat key bed of the micro freak does poly after touch, And both conjure really cool different modulation effects in so I’m doing exactly what you’re wanting to do and I’ve done the same thing with sequencing my Hydrasynth desktop and I’ll play maybe a lower base note on the keypad of the Hydrasynth desktop, And the only issue that you would have is if the device being sequenced let’s take the Hydra sense for instants being eight voice, if your sequencing mad cords at seven voices from the keystep pro then at same time I attempt to play two voices on Hydrasynth desktop pads, Going to be voice stealing so that’s the only thing you have to worry about.
Just say this is the first time ever a controller or keyboard of any kind I consider it and use it like any of my other synthesizers as I consider it an instrument and I haven’t even gone very deep with it yet haven’t even dealt with scenes yet I’ve been recovering from a surgery so things have been a little slow but I just wanted to let you know you can and you do what you wanna do there
Deleted 91769da
Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
I do exactly this while sequencing my Microfreak, As I discovered a very cool happy accident in that even though the key step pro only transmits channel after touch the flat key bed of the micro freak does poly after touch, And both conjure really cool different modulation effects in so I’m doing exactly what you’re wanting to do and I’ve done the same thing with sequencing my Hydrasynth desktop and I’ll play maybe a lower base note on the keypad of the Hydrasynth desktop, And the only issue that you would have is if the device being sequenced let’s take the Hydra sense for instants being eight voice, if your sequencing mad cords at seven voices from the keystep pro then at same time I attempt to play two voices on Hydrasynth desktop pads, Going to be voice stealing so that’s the only thing you have to worry about.
Just say this is the first time ever a controller or keyboard of any kind I consider it and use it like any of my other synthesizers as I consider it an instrument and I haven’t even gone very deep with it yet haven’t even dealt with scenes yet I’ve been recovering from a surgery so things have been a little slow but I just wanted to let you know you can and you do what you wanna do there
Great to hear as I'm starting to make videos for YouTube and while the Keystep Pro is my brain for everything it will be nice to get on a full synth/keyboard while still getting the notes into the KSP, thanks!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 91769da View Post
Great to hear as I'm starting to make videos for YouTube and while the Keystep Pro is my brain for everything it will be nice to get on a full synth/keyboard while still getting the notes into the KSP, thanks!
Im a trained pianist and I abhor mini keys *but* make exception for both OG keystep and the pro because They simply got the keys just right and I live with peripheral neuropathy amongst other health issues that affects my play ability these days and I still find Arturia’s mini keys perfect....for mini keys, To the point when I got my Yamaha reface CP everybody raved about those mini keys And I absolutely hate them the only way I play that is via midi so everybody’s different but I just wanted to convey to you that the key step pro’s keyboard is indeed very much playable board with excellent aftertouch and velocity response.
Old 2 weeks ago
Anybody know if there are plans for a black version?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

I have a question about the pattern chains:

Creating chains is not a problem, but how can I delete patterns from a chain?

Or if that doesn't work, how can I delete a track's chain in order to create a new one?

I can't find anything about this in the manual.

I've tried "Erase" and "Clear" but no success...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Problems with external clocking on KSP

Hi .. I am a bit of a gearslut noob here .. looking for some help with the KSP.

I am externally clocking my keystep pro using a pamelas new workout.

I am trying to externally clock the KSP at about 5 BPM and lower so I can have long notes for ambient/atmospheric music.

I have the KSP set to Clock Input Sync and Clock Rate at 1PP16.

The KSP seems to progress notes in a sequence at the correct clock rate generated externally by Pamela.

I cannot Adjust the gate outputs for the CV notes to be anywhere near long enough so that I can use the external gate ouput for the voice in order to have a full note control for a eurorack VCA.

Also the KSP does not display the correct BPM at all on its OLED screen ... has anyone else had problems using the KSP at slow external clock rates and if so did you find a work around for these problems ???

Have external clocking problems been raised as a firmware issue with Arturia ?

Kind Regards
Mylorman
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Did you solve this? I installed the new(est) FW and am not able to get the count in to work...

EDIT: for future readers.... Dumb past me did not press record....
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Hi I asked arturia for support and got an email back from Leo at arturia support .. here tis ...
Léo (Arturia Support)
Nov 20, 2020, 9:33 GMT+1
Hi Adam,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience,

Do note that the KSP minimal clock is actually 30 BPMs which is why. it would remain stuck displaying the 30/31 BPM mention.

Subsequently I think the gate length must be corresponding to the length of 1 step in 30BPM sync,

I'll test this out on my end but do note that for the time being the. unit won't be able to run at lower tempos that 30.

Let me know if the gate length does reduce when augmenting your BPM,

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards.
Léo - Arturia Support

I responded with ...

Hi Leo
Thank you for your email.

When I externally clock at slow speeds below 30BPM the note play length is correct and matches external BPM but the gate lengths cannot be set properly.
When I externally clock at speeds above 30 bpm then the onscreen BPM is correct on the KSP screen and the note gates can be set properly.

To be honest why did you not say in your sales literature that if you use external clock then BPM is limited to 30 BPM ???
If I am using modular then it is very common that I want to use below 30BPM !
I wish I had not bough the Keystep Pro now as it is not suitable for most of the modular work that I do.
I am not the only one who is not happy with the 30BPM limit.

Is it possible to raise a ticket to get the gate lengths corrected and the Display corrected to work properly with low BPM ?

Kind Regards
Adam
Here for the gear
Ok had a response from Leo ...
Léo (Arturia Support)
Nov 24, 2020, 10:06 GMT+1
Hi Adam,

Indeed I have referenced this and it has been a limitation of the step range since the initial Beatstep,

Subsequently I think lower clock rates are not that demanded as you're actually the first customer and I have handled all keystep pro related requests since launch, who have expressed this concern.

I'll trigger the product managers for them to state wether this would be pursued or not when they got the time to review the feature request.

Do let me know if you have any further questions or remarks that you would like me to escalate to them,

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards.
Léo - Arturia Support

I responded with ....

Thank you Leo ,
Maybe I am the first to officially write to arturia about it because a lot of people are making do by just using a clock divider on their modular instead or are using a TSR cable and are using two clock signals to externally clock .. one being the clock and the other being the run/stop signal etc.

I can assure you that I am not the first person to find this a problem .. there are others who are having similar problems and they are posting on the gear slutz forum and on the arturia forum about it .. perhaps I am the first to actually approach arturia directly and other purchasers have assumed that it will be addressed in firmware updates ??

Anyhow a firmware update addressing firmware problems with the keystep pro would be nice .. I have a matrixbrute and really got frustrated waiting two years for arturia to fix some of the major problems with the firmware .. the last matrixbrute update was very good but many firmware problems still await addressing. Arturia has gained a reputation for being very slow in addressing firmware problems. Other companies are much more responsive on fixing problems. I hope this 'waiting forever for firmware fixes and updates' doesn't happen with the keystep pro.

Kind Regards
Adam
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylorman View Post
Ok had a response from Leo ...
Léo (Arturia Support)
Nov 24, 2020, 10:06 GMT+1
Hi Adam,

Indeed I have referenced this and it has been a limitation of the step range since the initial Beatstep,

Subsequently I think lower clock rates are not that demanded as you're actually the first customer and I have handled all keystep pro related requests since launch, who have expressed this concern.
Note that the vast majority of MIDI devices made that send/receive clocks don't go below 24 to 30 BPM and usually top out somewhere in the 240 to 300 BPM range.

Modular gear typically is dealing with gates/pulses which can indeed go very slow (or fast).
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
Note that the vast majority of MIDI devices made that send/receive clocks don't go below 24 to 30 BPM and usually top out somewhere in the 240 to 300 BPM range.

Modular gear typically is dealing with gates/pulses which can indeed go very slow (or fast).
I get that modular is different but the whole point behind the KSP was that it integrated four voices for external control of modular gear .. so I would have thought they would have allowed for lower BPM ?? I mean that is the reason I bought the KSP and did not get another MIDI controller.... to provide that bridge between modular and MIDI for other synths so that I could use them in unison.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylorman View Post
I get that modular is different but the whole point behind the KSP was that it integrated four voices for external control of modular gear .. so I would have thought they would have allowed for lower BPM ?? I mean that is the reason I bought the KSP and did not get another MIDI controller.... to provide that bridge between modular and MIDI for other synths so that I could use them in unison.
It does integrate modular/cv control and MIDI (I have a KeyStep and a Pro on order).

However, the software that controls clocking and syncing has to deal with MIDI and the limits of reading and writing data in a serial manner. I did some quick digging on the net and couldn't immediately find where/why such lower limits exist, but the fact is the vast majority of MIDI timing code across a very wide range of platforms and processors don't go below that magic 24 to 30 BPM lower limit.

If you really want tempos slower than 30, you can double (or quadruple) your bar length and spread out the events that way.
📝 Reply