The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gearspotting on "Bob's Burgers"
Old 14th January 2020
Deleted b788fee
Gearspotting on "Bob's Burgers"

Budding electronic musician Gene Belcher falls in love with a "drum machine" at the local second-hand music-instrument shop in the series' latest episode.

Of course [SPOILERS], his un-self aware noodling distresses the shop keeper, and thanks to additional meddling by scrappy sister Louise, gets him outright BANNED from said establishment.

The source of his infatuation:

Although purposely made to sound overly blippitty bloopey with a side helping of plink plink noice, the sound source of the never-named "drum machine" seems like it could very well be an Korg ER-1. (Had one for some time and it got well-used on one of my favorite tracks that I produced.) Notice the keyboard arrangement of step buttons on "drum machine" instead of traditional single row, which is how ER-1 does it.

Price at shop: $225. Which is a bit more than I paid for mine 10 years ago (I think?) but seems to be about the going rate. (Personally, I think a Drumbrute Impact is a much better deal new at $299.)

Just remember, Gene. It's not the gear but what you do with it. I would have also recommended he check out some free software on home computer (although he did ecstatically describe the feel of knobs in his hand, etc. and I'm not sure I've ever seen a PC in the Belcher household.)

Last edited by Deleted b788fee; 14th January 2020 at 10:07 AM..
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear

I love that all of his instrument obsessions are based on real ones.
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear

Def Korg ER-1. I had one too.

Top left looks a little like an SH-101 or maybe a Bass Station. Top right looks like an M-Audio MIDI controller.

Who knows?
Old 31st January 2020
They're fans of Peavey amps I see..

People paid $200 for ER-1s?? I got mine for $75 brand new at Guitar Center heh. I should sell it, I dont think Ive even touched it in about 10 years.
Old 31st January 2020
Gear Maniac

ER-1 does the usual 16-step keys and has little differences in the layout...I'd say it looks like a Krog ERI.
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear

Yep saw that episode and noticed it was an ER-1!

It was the first device that I used that had motion sequencing, which I thought was the coolest thing in the world. And perhaps still do...
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear

love Bob's.
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear

"Are you Moby?"

Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
"Are you Moby?"

We need to promote this clip to official EMP/EMI anthem!
Old 5th March 2020
Deleted b788fee
I’ve decided to delete my account here. While originally I wasn’t going to write a “goodbye post” — mostly out of respect for the moderator who asked me to join more than 10 years ago — I feel unable to comply with that impulse.

You could say the underlying reasons for deleting my account were brewing for years: fewer and fewer posts from me and more lurking because of less relevant content and more and more of the constant “new synth” carousel and its inherent consumerism. To me, that’s not “creating music” nor is it even a love of synths and synthesis.

But none of that is reason to delete an account. The way this forum silences legitimate criticism or even acknowledgement of Behringer’s crappy conduct is.

Their latest incident(s) involving the “Corksniffer Synth” is just simply unbelievable that a multinational corporation would single out and go to the lengths it did to attack an individual in the synth community; followed by a “half apology” that’s since been deleted. Because there’s no way to address this — even in the bowels of the forum, The Moan Zone — simply means I cannot stay here.

As it is, I’m mostly at ease about leaving but not without also thanking those that contributed to my knowledge of synths and synthesis. Much of it happened here. But the reality is, this forum has no lock on that knowledge, and I’m pleased to venture on without its day-to-day influence.
Old 5th March 2020
Lives for gear

Old 5th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
I’ve decided to delete my account here. While originally I wasn’t going to write a “goodbye post” — mostly out of respect for the moderator who asked me to join more than 10 years ago — I feel unable to comply with that impulse.

You could say the underlying reasons for deleting my account were brewing for years: fewer and fewer posts from me and more lurking because of less relevant content and more and more of the constant “new synth” carousel and its inherent consumerism. To me, that’s not “creating music” nor is it even a love of synths and synthesis.

But none of that is reason to delete an account. The way this forum silences legitimate criticism or even acknowledgement of Behringer’s crappy conduct is.

Their latest incident(s) involving the “Corksniffer Synth” is just simply unbelievable that a multinational corporation would single out and go to the lengths it did to attack an individual in the synth community; followed by a “half apology” that’s since been deleted. Because there’s no way to address this — even in the bowels of the forum, The Moan Zone — simply means I cannot stay here.

As it is, I’m mostly at ease about leaving but not without also thanking those that contributed to my knowledge of synths and synthesis. Much of it happened here. But the reality is, this forum has no lock on that knowledge, and I’m pleased to venture on without its day-to-day influence.
I missed those threads. I read somewhere he tried to sue GS members for posting opinions. He lost that suit, because you can say anything you want, don't let him win through intimidation.

I always liked your posts. Sorry to see you go.

Old 5th March 2020
Gear Maniac
Let’s not ruin yet another Bob’s Burger’s synth appreciated thread with reality. :(
Old 5th March 2020
Lives for gear

Bye, Felicia.
Old 5th March 2020
Lives for gear
Hey.·
I don't know you but I don't think you should leave. Things change over time and you know that this forum has spikes of enthusiam and lows. It's okay if you don't have anything meaningfull to add - and (honestly most of my posts are not that meaningfull). However you are part of a community that still loves talking about synths and losing someone that is part of that is never good. If you leave, then it would create a vacuum of no opinion.. and that is not good either. Discussion is important. It is totally exceptable to lurk if you find you have nothing to say. I lurked for over a decade - and again - most of what I say has no relevance - however I still enjoy the people that are into synths. Yes, even the ones making counter-points. It's a great balance - even if it sways from one side to the other over time.·
Just stay...
Old 5th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY___ View Post
Hey.·
I don't know you but I don't think you should leave. Things change over time and you know that this forum has spikes of enthusiam and lows. It's okay if you don't have anything meaningfull to add - and (honestly most of my posts are not that meaningfull). However you are part of a community that still loves talking about synths and losing someone that is part of that is never good. If you leave, then it would create a vacuum of no opinion.. and that is not good either. Discussion is important. It is totally exceptable to lurk if you find you have nothing to say. I lurked for over a decade - and again - most of what I say has no relevance - however I still enjoy the people that are into synths. Yes, even the ones making counter-points. It's a great balance - even if it sways from one side to the other over time.·
Just stay...
I agree.

Old 5th March 2020
Pym
Lives for gear

There's a Tempest in the gear heaven scene... it makes me insanely happy to see it flying by
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear