The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg ms20 fs going back into production
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexiglass View Post
Still can't decide is it worth buying this reissue from Korg against todays great modern mono synths like a Dominion-1, Pro-2/3, Sub/Subsequent-37. Tough choice as always.
For price and features: no way. Modern monos like the ones you mentioned blow the MS-20 away in every possible aspect.

For sound, interface and the pleasure of owning a piece of music history (if you care about such things)...there's a reason if reissues became such a big thing in the last few years
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider76 View Post
For price and features: no way. Modern monos like the ones you mentioned blow the MS-20 away in every possible aspect.

For sound, interface and the pleasure of owning a piece of music history (if you care about such things)...there's a reason if reissues became such a big thing in the last few years
I'm also still wondering whether the MS20FS would be a good buy. I got a good deal on a new one, the interface is really great and immediate, the sound is there, but on the other hand it's Hz/oct as opposed to volts/oct, they ommited a simple switch that would enable users to select filter 1 or filter 2, no PWM on this one and we don't know anything yet about the quality of the keyboard.

Meanwhile the new Sequential Pro 3 is around 500 euros more expensive but you get so much more....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Honestly, I think the best bang-for-buck synth is currently BY FAR the Bass Station II. The latest updates crammed so many amazing features in what was already an excellent synth. And you can buy 4 of them for the price of a Subsequent, Dom1 or Pro3. Of course there are tradeoffs, only 25 keys and shared controls and shift-key features can be quite limiting.
Still...the latest and shiniest is not always the best.
But as I progress in my synth journey, I find that sound and knob-per-function interface are the things I really care about. Everything else (features, connectivity, MIDI, keybed, etc... even patch memory) is secondary to me.
So, even if I hold the BSII in the highest esteem, I find myself using even the lowly Microbrute much more.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Other synths have more value. When it comes to features, etc.

Apples / oranges. I don’t think ms-20 wins many direct feature comparison lists.

You have to really want the sound and quirks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Well I like it how it is feature vise (MS-20) but I'm concerned about quality of it vs its boutique competitors.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Build quality is much much better than the mini was. I think it’ll be fine on that front, up there with any of the other makers.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Still can't decide is it worth buying this reissue from Korg against todays great modern mono synths like a Dominion-1, Pro-2/3, Sub/Subsequent-37. Tough choice as always.
Me too. In a thread last year I said I wished that Korg would reissue the full size MS-20, and now they have which is great - but clearly I needed to wish for it somewhat cheaper! The cost is hard to justify against what else is around...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmedia View Post
Me too. In a thread last year I said I wished that Korg would reissue the full size MS-20, and now they have which is great - but clearly I needed to wish for it somewhat cheaper! The cost is hard to justify against what else is around...
...of course what I should really have done is not sell my OG one back in the day. Ah well, the wonders of hindsight...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I own a Pro 2, definitely buying a Pro 3 as soon as I can and owned most of the affordable Moogs. My MS20 is going nowhere.

Nothing (except reissues/clones and even then) out today covers a MS20 in terms of sound, there's a million & one things that'll do the Moog/Roland/Whatever etc thing. The only thing stopping me getting one of these is already having one

I'd actually love to see a Pro 2/3 or Sub 37 style mono with MS20 filters & oscillators. That'd be absolutely filthy.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post

You have to really want the sound and quirks
I REALLY want the sound and quirks
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

The BSII
Can’t even sync to midi clock. This is so lame. I returned it and got a Dominion 1. Never looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider76 View Post
Honestly, I think the best bang-for-buck synth is currently BY FAR the Bass Station II. The latest updates crammed so many amazing features in what was already an excellent synth. And you can buy 4 of them for the price of a Subsequent, Dom1 or Pro3. Of course there are tradeoffs, only 25 keys and shared controls and shift-key features can be quite limiting.
Still...the latest and shiniest is not always the best.
But as I progress in my synth journey, I find that sound and knob-per-function interface are the things I really care about. Everything else (features, connectivity, MIDI, keybed, etc... even patch memory) is secondary to me.
So, even if I hold the BSII in the highest esteem, I find myself using even the lowly Microbrute much more.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

I sold my 2nd spare MS-20Kit for the princely sum of $1000 even though I wanted $1200CDN.
I notice on Kijiji here in in Beaver and Mountie, Maple syrup world that some are asking up
for $2000CDN for the MS-20Kit.

I still have the original one I built in 2015, but I had no idea they would re-release them.

Even after 5 years, if I put my thinking cap on, I can get some decent "In Search Of"
sounds that even Leornard Nimoy would be proud of.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntheseyez View Post
Then get one! today I plugged in my mic to the ESP and controlled the pitch and stuff by humming. Then I spoke into it and the filter affected my voice. I can’t do that easily with my other synths, even my eurorack. Ms-20 is just awesome haha
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then get one! today I plugged in my mic to the ESP and controlled the pitch and stuff by humming. Then I spoke into it and the filter affected my voice. I can’t do that easily with my other synths, even my eurorack. Ms-20 is just awesome haha
Yeah I forgot about that. The ESP section is still pretty unique even nowadays, I can't think of any modern synth which will give you those features.

Beware, it's the quirkiest part of a very quirky synth...and that's why it's so much fun
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Tempted here I really like the app so a rework of the real thing sounds promising.
As well love its dual filtered quirks!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Maybe I will!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntheseyez View Post
I pay extra for good quirks.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I'm still holding out for a classroom sized MS20
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
I'm still holding out for a classroom sized MS20
Me, too. How fun would that be (at home)...
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut
does anyone have a release date for these puppies?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search