The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Loyalty: The 1st synth(s) you bought and do you still use it?
Old 1 week ago
  #61
Gear Head
 
rylos's Avatar
 

FIrst was a used Davolisint. I scaped anough money for that when I was 15. Sold it to my neighbor a few months later, broke even. I just couldn't do much with it. Dual oscillator, slap a few squarewaves together.

Sold the Davolisint to help pay for a Micromoog. My dad paid for the other half. DId a few mods to it, still have it.

Third up was a Davolisint again. My neighbor gave up on it, donated it back to me. Still have it this time.

Ater a few years I kinda quit playing, so the synths sat on a shelf. Recently got back into music, dug out the old friends, and got them up and going again. I'm getting more fun out of them this time, as I'm actually applying myself to learning how to play properly.
Old 1 week ago
  #62
Here for the gear
1st D-50 - Got it in 87 just after it came out. It’ still sitting on the 2 tier stand I bought with it. Up until that point my buddies with DX-7’s thought they were so cool…The D-50 changed everything. I think I can still name every preset that it came with. Oh Digital Native Dance....

2nd Jupiter 6 – Grabbed it during the great analog sell off for next to nothing. It sits below the D-50 and is used all the time.

3rd TX-81Z – bought new in 1988 when multi timbral modules were all the rage. Still got it in a rack next to its rival the D-110. The TX is still great, but that tiny screen was (and still is) a hassle to program.
Old 1 week ago
  #63
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavn View Post
Oh Digital Native Dance....
Rule #67 of GS states that every time that preset is mentioned, this video gets posted:

Old 1 week ago
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTK View Post
I'm going to chuck a different spin into this thread...

The first synth you got... how much did you learn about it? Were you already a musician, or did you just like 'synths' or playing - and at what point do you think you tipped into truly understanding one?

I must have gone through about 20 before I really treated them as synths, rather than preset machines I could occasionally make wild noises on... or really genuinely understood what their capabilities and limits were. Even when I was doing things like restoring broken Wavestations and fixing keybeds.

So as well as the first synth you got, I'm really curious to know which synth you /got/ first - which one really gelled and made sense to the stage you could create a sound, rather than find one?
Ironically it was the membrane and data slider "plagued" JX-8P I clicked with and programmed the **** out of versus the knob laden Ion. Maybe in a way the JX-8P was simpler, with all the parameters layed out neatly in gridded sections. That and in no time I memorized them all, so it was nothing to punch in parameters and set them with the data slider.
Old 1 week ago
  #65
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Rule #67 of GS states that every time that preset is mentioned, this video gets posted:

I don't recall reading that when signing up...
Old 1 week ago
  #66
Lives for gear
 
aleyas's Avatar
 

Okay, I’ll play too.

1st - Roland Sh-3. Somewhat limited monosynth, but to this day, still probably one of the sweetest filters I’ve owned. Excellent performance oriented controls. About 5 years ago it just fizzled out after switching on one day. Still have it, but haven’t repaired yet. Hope to install a CV retrokit for it someday.

2nd - Korg Electribe ER-1. Didn’t have any midi gear to play it with at the time. Was primarily using it as a backing device to record guitar and hand played synth lines over. Sold it on for the same price I bought it with no regrets.

3rd - MS-2000R. This was around the time I really started learning about midi and electronic music. Because I got the module, I ended up going down a rabbit whole of hardware sequencers, controllers, and drum machines. Gear acquisition exploded after that, and has only gotten worse (better) over time. I traded the MS2000 on for an Emu E4x + Yamaha VSS30 combo.
Old 1 week ago
  #67
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophonic View Post
I expect the answer will be very different depending what year you got hooked into this electronic thing. I had summer jobs and saved money until i had half the price of a new Korg Delta, my dad paid the other half. It was 1979, i knew nothing about synths, but i loved Moroder and the first album he produced for Sparks, loved Kraftwerk "Spacelab" and "Robots" and Carlos' "Switched-on Bach".
I hear that - it's not in the list 'cause it wasn't 'mine' - but the first synth I played was a Jen SX2000, my dad gave/sold it to a bloke working in the (photo) studio and I ended up with a Diamond organ which I gave to a friend since I didn't like it. Would like it now, obvs. I was probably about 7 or 8 - and spent ages making the sound effects from The Wall, like the helicopter/plane noises.

But I really didn't necessarily understand /what/ I was doing at that stage, so it's an odd one. Knew what input was needed to get the output. Didn't necessarily know what it was doing, or how.

Wish I'd been a touch older during the synth revolution - old enough to know what, say, an EDP Wasp or JX3P was and want, and use one properly.
Old 1 week ago
  #68
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 

1st - E-mu Proteus
2nd - E-mu Emax SE
3rd - Matrix 12

They all stayed around for a few years. The Matrix 12 probably lasted the longest in one form or another (at one point there were a couple Xpanders here and then back to the M-12) for about 12 years or so.

The Proteus went away once I picked up a couple Roland MKS rack units (80 and 70 I think were first) and a Solina.

The Emax was eventually sold and replaced by a Fairlight IIx (which eventually got sold and after a gap w. just an MPC 60/3000) was replaced by an Akai S6000 which was replaced by an Octatrack which was replaced by (very briefly) a Deluge, then LittleDeformer 3, then the (current) Akai z8 and E-mu E4XT Ultra.

More interesting is the 4th - PPG 2.3 is still here and still being enjoyed about 30 years after the purchase.
Old 6 days ago
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Sapro's Avatar
OK, a bit hazy but:

First synth: Yamaha CS01 mini analog synth with breath controller (1984 when I was 11). This was an excellent tool for education on the basics of synthesis. Sold to get other synth =>

The following I am a bit hazy on the ordering, all in the 80s:
Casio 1000P: slightly modifiable in the sound department, I discovered a couple of interesting noises at the extreme ends of its use that I suspect the designers did not plan to be there. Sold to get another synth. No regrets.

Korg MS10. Wish I did still have this. Swapped it for a mixer when I needed a mixer more. Doh!

Casio CZ230s: I programmed entire tracks on this that I played (with other stuff at school concerts). Strangely enough I still have this although it is on loan to a friend to act as a keyboard for him starting out ITB.

Siel DK80. I bought it cheap as it had essentially melted (warped) when someone left it leaning against a radiator. I brought it back from the brink but it did completely die on me eventually. I did buy another one a few years back and actually rate the sound but sold it to buy (guess what) another synth. The paraphonic filters finally got to me.
Old 6 days ago
  #70
Gear Maniac
 

EDP Wasp which I borrowed from high school

Roland SH5 which I borrowed from a friend who then offered it to me for £50
I smartly declined his offer as I was saving up for a Poly 800 at that time

Anyhow the Poly 800 was amazing to me and I owned it for over 5 years back then

Recently I brought a Poly 800 Mk11, instant love
Old 6 days ago
  #71
Gear Nut
 

First real synths, bought 'em in 1995:
1. Korg MS-10, still own it and use it regularly
2. Juno 106, sold it about 3 years ago.
3. Broken Korg Poly 61 (bought together with a friend for €12,50), sold after a couple of years
Old 6 days ago
  #72
Gear Head
 

Roland JX-3p - my first synth... its my go to... use it all the time, i think every song has it.... ill never sell it.... been kiwi'd
Yamaha An1x - still use all the time
Yamaha SY-1 - use it every now and then.... the insides are temperamental, so usually needs a clean or spray before use

ive only ever sold 1 synth... ms20 mini
Old 6 days ago
  #73
1 - Roland VR-760 - still have it. The organ section died but the piano and synth sections still work. I loved that thing to death and hauled it everywhere. I'd love to fix it someday, probably a bad board making the organ section not work. Currently it is leaned up against the wall in my studio.
2 - Nord Electro 5D - still have it and use it every day. I bought the Nord to replace my VR-760 and couldn't be happier with it.
3 - Korg Monologue - sold it last year. This was my first analog synth and it was awesome but it was also what gave me the slut bug and the thirst for more analog Nothing against the Monologue but it became redundant in my setup so I sold it for some quick cash.
Old 6 days ago
  #74
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
Ironically it was the membrane and data slider "plagued" JX-8P I clicked with and programmed the **** out of versus the knob laden Ion. Maybe in a way the JX-8P was simpler, with all the parameters layed out neatly in gridded sections. That and in no time I memorized them all, so it was nothing to punch in parameters and set them with the data slider.
You have to read the JX8P thread here, from 2009. One guy posting on there is my benchmark for someone having endless, uncontrollable, massive and impermeable utter hate for a synth, and the JX-8P proved his target. Quite amusing to read, with the right perspective.
Old 6 days ago
  #75
Lives for gear
 
DesolationBlvd's Avatar
While the Alpha Juno was my second synth, it was the one I learned synthesis on. And while it wasn't knobby / slidery, I could navigate and set values just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
You have to read the JX8P thread here, from 2009. One guy posting on there is my benchmark for someone having endless, uncontrollable, massive and impermeable utter hate for a synth, and the JX-8P proved his target. Quite amusing to read, with the right perspective.
I want to say the thread was "name the bad sounding analog synths", but that thread was from 2014. It might not be the same guy bashing JX-8P, but he described it as having a honk. Somehow, I misread that as "I'm a JX-8P, honk honk!" I now use that phrase when I'm frustrated with an instrument's character drowning out what I want out of it.
Old 6 days ago
  #76
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
You have to read the JX8P thread here, from 2009. One guy posting on there is my benchmark for someone having endless, uncontrollable, massive and impermeable utter hate for a synth, and the JX-8P proved his target. Quite amusing to read, with the right perspective.
I get that, the Poly-800 earned my deepest hatred.
Old 6 days ago
  #77
Lives for gear
 

Here you go!

Roland JX-8P - is it good for anything?

Enjoy! Eloquent despair.
Old 6 days ago
  #78
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 

My first synth was built by my brother, and I still use it

Old 6 days ago
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Here you go!

Roland JX-8P - is it good for anything?

Enjoy! Eloquent despair.
I kept the JX-8P over a JX-3P, and Juno 2(twice). The JX-8P was the most fully featured, and you can make for PWM by sync and LFO which leaves you no worse off than a Juno having a single oscillator with sub. Though I think mine has the "magic" op-amps, if I recall correctly. I will say I hate how resonance works on it, and the sluggish envelopes. I'll take two sluggish envelopes over one quick one though, obviously.
Old 6 days ago
  #80
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
I kept the JX-8P over a JX-3P, and Juno 2(twice). The JX-8P was the most fully featured, and you can make for PWM by sync and LFO which leaves you no worse off than a Juno having a single oscillator with sub. Though I think mine has the "magic" op-amps, if I recall correctly. I will say I hate how resonance works on it, and the sluggish envelopes. I'll take two sluggish envelopes over one quick one though, obviously.
I have no hate for anything but hate, the JX-8P seems fine to me. PegLegJoe942 or whatever his name was in that thread obviously really hated the membrane and slider interface, but that was considered so "ET" back then. The future!
Old 6 days ago
  #81
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I have no hate for anything but hate, the JX-8P seems fine to me. PegLegJoe942 or whatever his name was in that thread obviously really hated the membrane and slider interface, but that was considered so "ET" back then. The future!
Same. I'd like to think if I had a Poly-800 now I could find something to like; versus when I was 14 when I was comparing it to the JX-8P, and was confounded by the fact the Poly-800 sounded anemic in comparison despite it being an "analogue synth" too. I'll never know because I'd rather spend the money on anything else.
Old 6 days ago
  #82
Lives for gear
 
Mcnulty's Avatar
 

First synth of sorts was a Yamaha Sk20 in 1982. Learnt heaps about basic synth playing. Sold it years later. Bought a Korg Trident in 1983 and is still my favourite of all my other 15 synths. Never sell it. Too much love and history to part with. Also have a JX8P and would not sell it either.
Old 6 days ago
  #83
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
1st - E-mu Proteus
2nd - E-mu Emax SE
3rd - Matrix 12

They all stayed around for a few years. The Matrix 12 probably lasted the longest in one form or another (at one point there were a couple Xpanders here and then back to the M-12) for about 12 years or so.

The Proteus went away once I picked up a couple Roland MKS rack units (80 and 70 I think were first) and a Solina.

The Emax was eventually sold and replaced by a Fairlight IIx (which eventually got sold and after a gap w. just an MPC 60/3000) was replaced by an Akai S6000 which was replaced by an Octatrack which was replaced by (very briefly) a Deluge, then LittleDeformer 3, then the (current) Akai z8 and E-mu E4XT Ultra.

More interesting is the 4th - PPG 2.3 is still here and still being enjoyed about 30 years after the purchase.
If i should have taken a guess what your first synths might have been:
1. MaxiKorg 800DV
2. OB-X
3. Jupiter-8 or Fairlight II
Old 6 days ago
  #84
Gear Maniac
korg prophecy. ended up selling it to fund the purchase of a Z1. id probably get another if I ever found it at the right price. That combo pitch bend-slider was a unique little piece of tech.
Old 6 days ago
  #85
Lives for gear
 
Shadowkast's Avatar
Bass Station2. Still love it and use it.
Old 6 days ago
  #86
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
Bass Station2. Still love it and use it.
Great synth, probably the best mono for the money in terms of features and sound. 37 keys it would be perfect, 3 VCOs in addition it'd be legendary.
Old 5 days ago
  #87
Lives for gear
 
kpatz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Rule #67 of GS states that every time that preset is mentioned, this video gets posted:

That song makes me miss having a D-50.

My first 3 synths (bought in '93-94) were a Korg 01/WFD, Roland D-50 and Korg Polysix. Of those 3, the D-50 is the only one I really miss, though I wish I still had the Polysix as well, as they are worth a lot more now.

Lost those 3 synths in a fire in 2005. Then started again in 2007-2008 with a Motif XS, D-550, TX802 and an Andromeda (also had a Microkorg for a while but sold it after getting the Andromeda). Then I sold all that stuff in 2013-2014 (to make the wife happy mainly, plus I just stopped playing them for months at a time)... and then started all over again in 2018 (after wife left me) and have what's in my sig now.

So, loyalty? Not much. I like to try different synths each time. Other than a D-50 (and the D-550 in my 2nd incarnation), I've never been "loyal" to any particular synth. Well, I paid homage to my Motif XS (and TX802) by buying a MODX.... plus I could load my patches from both those synths.
Old 5 days ago
  #88
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
That song makes me miss having a D-50.

My first 3 synths (bought in '93-94) were a Korg 01/WFD, Roland D-50 and Korg Polysix. Of those 3, the D-50 is the only one I really miss, though I wish I still had the Polysix as well, as they are worth a lot more now.

Lost those 3 synths in a fire in 2005. Then started again in 2007-2008 with a Motif XS, D-550, TX802 and an Andromeda (also had a Microkorg for a while but sold it after getting the Andromeda). Then I sold all that stuff in 2013-2014 (to make the wife happy mainly, plus I just stopped playing them for months at a time)... and then started all over again in 2018 (after wife left me) and have what's in my sig now.

So, loyalty? Not much. I like to try different synths each time. Other than a D-50 (and the D-550 in my 2nd incarnation), I've never been "loyal" to any particular synth. Well, I paid homage to my Motif XS (and TX802) by buying a MODX.... plus I could load my patches from both those synths.
Maybe can find a D-05 for cheap now.
Old 4 days ago
  #89
Lives for gear
 
kpatz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
Maybe can find a D-05 for cheap now.
D-05 is on my wishlist, just down the list a bit since there's so many other synths I want as well.

I should say I loved the sound of the D-50/550 but hated programming the thing. I had a PG-1000 on my first one and that was great, got some great patches out of it. Pity I never kept a sysex of them. 550 is even more cumbersome to program than the 50, so I didn't create many patches on that one when I had it. I don't know how the D-05 is, but with the joystick and keypad it can't be as bad as the 550 was.

Maybe, once I get some more stands, monitors, FX etc. and rearrange my setup so I have room for more synths I can once again own one of the "D" series.
Old 4 days ago
  #90
Lives for gear
 
Rezisehtnys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
D-05 is on my wishlist, just down the list a bit since there's so many other synths I want as well.

I should say I loved the sound of the D-50/550 but hated programming the thing. I had a PG-1000 on my first one and that was great, got some great patches out of it. Pity I never kept a sysex of them. 550 is even more cumbersome to program than the 50, so I didn't create many patches on that one when I had it. I don't know how the D-05 is, but with the joystick and keypad it can't be as bad as the 550 was.

Maybe, once I get some more stands, monitors, FX etc. and rearrange my setup so I have room for more synths I can once again own one of the "D" series.
I know this feel. I've always wanted a D-50 because of my love for Enya.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump