The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer RD-6
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
My unit arrived this afternoon and I just finished flashing the new firmware to it. It went very fast and took without any issues.

The functionality to change the OH decay is very cool, but to me, it works backwards? Turning the tempo knob, counter-clock wise, to slow, has the decay longer, while turning it clockwise, to fast, has the decay shorter? I thought it would have been the other way around?
no, it needs time for the envelope to work , think like a mono synth with long release

program a slow sequence and it plays out, start using 16/ths and there is no release
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post

fast with really long hihats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
no, it needs time for the envelope to work , think like a mono synth with long release

program a slow sequence and it plays out, start using 16/ths and there is no release
Yup, so I was wrong about my understanding of this and I don't mind admitting that. I just wanted to be sure things were ok and nothing was up with my unit.

In my defence, I was looking nothing at the writing and what was actually happening, but instead on the direction the knob was turning. Most things work from left to right, not right to left, so it through me off.

Thanks for laughing ibtl and thanks for explaining properly Jamie, I appreciate both your replies.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yup, so I was wrong about my understanding of this and I don't mind admitting that. I just wanted to be sure things were ok and nothing was up with my unit.

In my defence, I was looking nothing at the writing and what was actually happening, but instead on the direction the knob was turning. Most things work from left to right, not right to left, so it through me off.

Thanks for laughing ibtl and thanks for explaining properly Jamie, I appreciate both your replies.
your unit is sound matey
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
your unit is sound matey
Thanks Jamie! Really excited to finally have this. Been waiting over two months for it.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Thanks Jamie! Really excited to finally have this. Been waiting over two months for it.
2 months isn’t bad - pity those waiting for the RD9 or UBXa!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmedia View Post
2 months isn’t bad - pity those waiting for the RD9 or UBXa!
I guess not, but for me, who never buys anything 'new on the market', it was a long time. All my kit is from the 80's/90's, so no waiting for new gear to ship. The TD-3 and RD-6 are my only 'new' additions.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Thanks for laughing ibtl
i owned a real 606 and never even knew about this.
in fact i only really found out the finer points of using it just a few days before selling it - which i regretted, but now i'm quite pleased i did because i can get back in with this version, and have MIDI (and indiv outs etc.)
Here for the gear

Hi guys

I just got my RD-6 - I like the sound and the layout etc., but I don't know how to make it work as a slave in MIDI. Nothing in the manual (which is very basic) and nothing on the internet. Am I correct in being annoyed by this? I guess I need to tell it to accept MIDI IN - but how? And what channel does it default to? 10?

I find MIDI-information to be extremely lacking, in general, but this is just too much.

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Download synthtribe , it’s on the rd6 download on behringer site
Here for the gear

Thanks, doing that right now
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE35 View Post
Thanks, doing that right now
On the front panel, press and hold back and tap simultaneously and then choose on the left hand side (the step keys), which input method you want. Click on midi.

The unit defaults to input and output midi Channel 1. You can change this on the front panel as well, by pressing function and then the step key with CH written on it. Then choose the channel you want.

As mentioned above, the Synthtribe app is good for this, but for those that don't use a computer, or for those that don't want it hooked up to USB permanently, one can make these changes, from the front panel only.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I really wish there wasn't such a volume discrepancy, between the cymbal and the clap. The clap is so quiet and the cymbal is so darn loud. Having them both tied to the same volume pot, is stupid. You could never use both simultaneously, as the cymbal is so ear piercing and the clap gets buried, with the pot at 100% volume.
Here for the gear

Quote:
On the front panel, press and hold back and tap simultaneously and then choose on the left hand side (the step keys), which input method you want. Click on midi.

The unit defaults to input and output midi Channel 1. You can change this on the front panel as well, by pressing function and then the step key with CH written on it. Then choose the channel you want.

As mentioned above, the Synthtribe app is good for this, but for those that don't use a computer, or for those that don't want it hooked up to USB permanently, one can make these changes, from the front panel only.
Thanks! Why isn't this in the manual?

Yes, I would prefer not using a computer for this stuff normally, but as I am still recovering from my double-incision distal bicep tendon repair I chose the PC way - easier with one hand

Thanks again!
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really wish there wasn't such a volume discrepancy, between the cymbal and the clap. The clap is so quiet and the cymbal is so darn loud. Having them both tied to the same volume pot, is stupid. You could never use both simultaneously, as the cymbal is so ear piercing and the clap gets buried, with the pot at 100% volume.
The cymbals and hihats were always too loud on an original 606 too

But yeh, not ideal in any way. At least we got indiouts.. I get more mileage out of the RD's nowadays by recording audio loops from each sound separately, and then applying processing & fx in post. By sequencing and recording loops instead of single hits, I still get the hit to hit variation and accent behaviour of the analog drums.
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
The cymbals and hihats were always too loud on an original 606 too

But yeh, not ideal in any way. At least we got indiouts.. I get more mileage out of the RD's nowadays by recording audio loops from each sound separately, and then applying processing & fx in post. By sequencing and recording loops instead of single hits, I still get the hit to hit variation and accent behaviour of the analog drums.
I hear ya. The individual outs, are a really nice bonus, especially in this price range. Those without a big mixer however, likely aren't going to tap into this.

Maybe I am wrong as well, but I read the summing of the 606 sounds better, with everything coming out of the one output, as opposed to separate outputs, from those that had modded their original units?

If only behringer had included a separate pot for the cymbal and the clap, we would be golden. I still love my unit however and am glad I got it. The latest firmware really added a lot and unexpected too!
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still can't believe Windows hasn't caught up in that regard. I REALLY hate Apple products and do find Windows superior in many ways, but I must admit, MAC has it great with being able to control multiple audio interfaces at once AND the ability to share midi ports, which Windows also can't do, without hackery with 3rd party software and workarounds.
User name checks out
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I hear ya. The individual outs, are a really nice bonus, especially in this price range. Those without a big mixer however, likely aren't going to tap into this.

Maybe I am wrong as well, but I read the summing of the 606 sounds better, with everything coming out of the one output, as opposed to separate outputs, from those that had modded their original units?

If only behringer had included a separate pot for the cymbal and the clap, we would be golden. I still love my unit however and am glad I got it. The latest firmware really added a lot and unexpected too!
It´s just a little wire you have to solder to get the clap to the same level.
You dont need to be an expert on soldering smd parts.
One of the thinks I add to my unit.

You can also add a volume control pot for the clap but thats a little more work.

User Maffetz has done a lot of mods for RD-6/TD-3 and others. Maybe ask him.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
User name checks out
haha, actually, this is a SUPER old name of mine, used to use it back in the late 90's, so it kinda stuck.

I see your point though. I don't mind being vocal about disappointments!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KomaBot View Post
It´s just a little wire you have to solder to get the clap to the same level.
You dont need to be an expert on soldering smd parts.
One of the thinks I add to my unit.

You can also add a volume control pot for the clap but thats a little more work.

User Maffetz has done a lot of mods for RD-6/TD-3 and others. Maybe ask him.
I have never done such a job before. If it really is only a single wire and nothing else gets affected whatsoever, it may be worth looking into.

If it is so simple though, it would have cost Behringer $0.000001 to implement this in the original design. I don't know how that went unnoticed.
Lives for gear

Quote:
haha, actually, this is a SUPER old name of mine, used to use it back in the late 90's, so it kinda stuck.

I see your point though. I don't mind being vocal about disappointments!
All in good fun dont disagree with yer assessment either, just thought it was funny.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
All in good fun dont disagree with yer assessment either, just thought it was funny.
No drama! 🥳
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
re: Maffez RD-6 mods:

https://maffez.com/?page_id=1021

Last edited by ibtl; 4 weeks ago at 06:20 AM..
Old 29th November 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I have to assume they knew why

Even still
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD-6-img_0770.jpg  
Old 29th November 2020
Did a couple of updates on my rd6 page and included tom "revrerb" level and got back to the ole CY/HH - managed to give them yet a bit more body without the circuit becoming too noisy (scroll down to CY/HH section)
Attached Files

HH_NEW.mp3 (501.2 KB, 967 views)

TT_NEW_REVERBLEVEL_VARIABLE.mp3 (795.9 KB, 975 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
any links for small size pots in suitable values and spdt switches, for mods?

Last edited by ibtl; 29th November 2020 at 06:22 PM..
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Does anyone else have issues with the audio output after the last update? It seems like on the right channel the audio is very silent while on the left it plays perfectly. The phone jack does work fine.
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W View Post
Does anyone else have issues with the audio output after the last update? It seems like on the right channel the audio is very silent while on the left it plays perfectly. The phone jack does work fine.
I have latest update with no audio issues as yet. RD-6 has mono out only I thought?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloompegs View Post
I have latest update with no audio issues as yet. RD-6 has mono out only I thought?
I figured it out, I used the wrong cable to the mixer lol.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W View Post
I figured it out, I used the wrong cable to the mixer lol.
and you preach that people should be using sysex to update FW?

great that you found the issue though but

dude, dude, duuuuuude
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
📝 Reply