The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer RD-6
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
Sync io? so I use the sync port on the RD-6, into the sync port on the RD-8?

Is the sync cable TS or TRS?

I wanna use the tempo knob on the RD-6 as master since its not a dynamic knob, leaves the RD-8 encoder free for swing/probability duties
the tempo knob on the rd8 still works for other duties , just select it's function

stereo 3.5 from rd8 sync out to rd6 sync in or vice versa, done - if you use a mono 3.5 you may just need to set the slave to play in order to accept the clock
Old 15th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
the tempo knob on the rd8 still works for other duties , just select it's function

stereo 3.5 from rd8 sync out to rd6 sync in or vice versa, done - if you use a mono 3.5 you may just need to set the slave to play in order to accept the clock
So for full start/stop a TRS cable is a must, without fuss, where as a TS cable will involve more work in arming a device, before it will reliably start and stop?

This is what I would like to make sure of, as the opposite is true for my Roland Boutique, where they say a TS cable is needed and on that cable, they all start and stop reliably, without any further arming.
Old 15th September 2020
Quote:
Just unboxed, first impressions:
• The onboard distortion is meh, low freqs disappear when engaged
If it's the same DS-1 style distortion as in the TD-3, then the distortion's bass-suck can be fixed by swapping out a couple capacitors. For the intrepid, there are recently posted sound clips of this mod in the TD-3 threads.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

correct to assume that instruments sent to an indiv out bypass the master distortion because they are removed from the main out ?
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post

Thanks! The sync works pretty well as long as you keep tempos below 200 BPM, if you go over that the clock slave trips up.

Yeah so managed to have a bit of a jam then
Attached Files

RD6VSRIMZILLA.wav (14.64 MB, 2036 views)

Old 15th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
correct to assume that instruments sent to an indiv out bypass the master distortion because they are removed from the main out ?
yup!
Old 15th September 2020
Quote:
Thanks! The sync works pretty well as long as you keep tempos below 200 BPM, if you go over that the clock slave trips up.

Yeah so managed to have a bit of a jam then
Interesting footwork/Juke style drumming there!
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK View Post
If it's the same DS-1 style distortion as in the TD-3, then the distortion's bass-suck can be fixed by swapping out a couple capacitors. For the intrepid, there are recently posted sound clips of this mod in the TD-3 threads.
There are times when the reduced bass on the TD-3 is wanted. Like if you have a really deep kick or a subby bass sound layered under it. The mod makes sense for a drum machine though. Though I could just use the low cut filter on my mixer if I wanted to do that.
Old 16th September 2020
Quote:
I wonder what they did to the DS-1 circuit that makes it suck here? I ran a DS-1 with my guitar rig for a few years, and despite all the negative feedback about the things 'thin' tone, it sounds great with a Marshall JCM800 and I had no problem being tuned down to A (with a Strat and a Tele no less) and still having plenty of low end sludge in my tone. Im guessing they put it at the end of the whole chain so you've got nothing to make up the gain and low end for it like you do running in front of a guitar amp.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
I wonder what they did to the DS-1 circuit that makes it suck here? I ran a DS-1 with my guitar rig for a few years, and despite all the negative feedback about the things 'thin' tone, it sounds great with a Marshall JCM800 and I had no problem being tuned down to A (with a Strat and a Tele no less) and still having plenty of low end sludge in my tone. Im guessing they put it at the end of the whole chain so you've got nothing to make up the gain and low end for it like you do running in front of a guitar amp.
A real DS-1 does sound better than the TD-3's distortion... I have both. DS-1 has a lot more grit to it.
Old 16th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
There are times when the reduced bass on the TD-3 is wanted. Like if you have a really deep kick or a subby bass sound layered under it. The mod makes sense for a drum machine though. Though I could just use the low cut filter on my mixer if I wanted to do that.
Agree about liking the option to thin out the bass when needed. The DS-1 style tone control on the TD-3 rolls between a low pass and high pass filter, so it's still good for that even with the modded distortion. Rolling up the tone does cut the bass.
Old 16th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Yeah I'm not sure but just assumed the distortion was relatively "stock" (funny to call a cloned distortion stock, aha).

Probably for guitar-range it's still ok, but it just isn't so great for bass, such as the TD-3 (and assuming the RD-6 if it's the same circuit).

When researching on how to improve the distortion I came across bass players modding the DS-1 for their purposes... that's how I understood what was going on with the capacitors and which ones to change.
Old 16th September 2020
Quote:
I will have to ban myself from this thread or be forced to get an RD-6 Maffez is going to have it sounding too good, I can just tell...
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
Interesting footwork/Juke style drumming there!
My fascination with the 160 sounds is what got me into buying the RD-8 in the first place But tbh have also used it for some hiphop & electro. No idea why I bought the RD-6 yet though. I guess I'm a bit of a slut

The maffez hh mod will make it more worth I think
Old 16th September 2020
Quote:
I will have to ban myself from this thread or be forced to get an RD-6 Maffez is going to have it sounding too good, I can just tell...
hehehe - also this: https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/sets/rd6-snare-mods

*temptation*....
Old 16th September 2020
and a little jam with modded kick, cymbal and (white noise) hats

https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/jam-mod-bd-cy-cp-hh
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post

nice work squire
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Amazing as usual! Have I missed the modding thread????
Old 16th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima_jrk View Post
Amazing as usual! Have I missed the modding thread????
cool

had first thought there was going to be a modding thread & there might still be one later but kinda went on a frenzy and documented results so far here: https://maffez.com/?page_id=1021
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
cool

had first thought there was going to be a modding thread & there might still be one later but kinda went on a frenzy and documented results so far here: https://maffez.com/?page_id=1021
sheesh! You've been busy

Great stuff Man!
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Got confirmation mail from Thomann my black rd-6 is on it's way
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
Me too
Old 18th September 2020
Maffez when is the TD-6 Kick Mod going to be unveiled??
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
cool

haha "double trouble" pots.

would it make sense to have a vero 'daughter board' for mods?
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
Maffez when is the TD-6 Kick Mod going to be unveiled??
bd decay and bd tune are up on my page already

need to wait for parts to test the waterston version for decay & pitch sweep env but got a "simple decay" set up already

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
haha "double trouble" pots.

would it make sense to have a vero 'daughter board' for mods?
don't think that's needed - most mods so far are really simple and don't need a lot of parts, i.e. can be placed on the back of the pcb or at the pots - might be diferent for additional pitch sweep for bd since that requires a large cap and a transistor

on a different note, found independent clap volume mod and an easier version to bring up clap level to cymbal level if you don't want a separate volume knob

also working on some easy and wicked rectifier that sounds like this: https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/wrecktifier-preview
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

need to wait for parts to test the waterston version for decay & pitch sweep env but got a "simple decay" set up already

don't think that's needed - most mods so far are really simple and don't need a lot of parts, i.e. can be placed on the back of the pcb or at the pots - might be diferent for additional pitch sweep for bd since that requires a large cap and a transistor

on a different note, found independent clap volume mod and an easier version to bring up clap level to cymbal level if you don't want a separate volume knob

also working on some easy and wicked rectifier that sounds like this: https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/wrecktifier-preview
Impressive!

Considering how cheap the RD-6 is, its too tempting not to add some of these mods in.. I need to have a talk with one of my mates who's an electrical engineer. But what you've already uncovered is a goldmine
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:

Great work Maffez!! You're making a killer machine out of the RD-6!
Do you plan on making mods for other people?
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoTron View Post
Great work Maffez!! You're making a killer machine out of the RD-6!
Do you plan on making mods for other people?
hey, thanks!

just updated the hat section too on my page & clap will then finally follow soon

& yep, rd6 can indeed be turned killer and somehow I like modding it much more than the RD8

as for mods, i sometimes do on request & best via contact form on my webpage! best
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
Me too today, I ordered the Black...
Old 18th September 2020
My silver arrived today- heading over to Maffez site with my soldering iron hot...
📝 Reply