The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha YC61 Stage Keyboard
Old 12th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
I'd completely forgotten that it had a separate phaser - which makes you wonder why they did waste a slot baking one into a preset which you actually can't edit.
An advantage of a preset with a phasing effect baked in is that it still leaves the front panel effects section free to apply an additional effect. Maybe that's what they were thinking, I don't know.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherscott View Post
An advantage of a preset with a phasing effect baked in is that it still leaves the front panel effects section free to apply an additional effect. Maybe that's what they were thinking, I don't know.
Would have been better with 2 programmable fx maybe, hey maybe more in this crazy age
Quote:
Would have been better with 2 programmable fx maybe, hey maybe more in this crazy age
There are 2 programmable effects dedicated to the Keys section:

On top of that you have an additional effect that can be applied to one sound (either Organ, Key A, or Key B) in the Effect section. Also there is the separate speaker/amp effect, reverb, and EQ:

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander mogue View Post
There are 2 programmable effects dedicated to the Keys section:

On top of that you have an additional effect that can be applied to one sound (either Organ, Key A, or Key B) in the Effect section. Also there is the separate speaker/amp effect, reverb, and EQ:

He's talking about the continental - yes the YC61 is more in line with what you might expect for the money. The Vox is cheaper than on release for a few reasons really. The actual 'continental' sounds themselves were top notch.
Old 13th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Vox is more about simplicity than flexibility. Though as it is, they did give you a multi-effect (phase, chorus, flange, compression, drive, wah) plus separate EQ, delay, reverb, and the tube. The occasional baked in effect gave you one more.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Vox is more about simplicity than flexibility. Though as it is, they did give you a multi-effect
A multi-effect of one at a time which is obviously why they tried to get around it by baking a sound that you couldn't change. I honestly forgot why I didn't get on with since it went back so fast, although I didn't enjoy those effects. I have so many better options. It hasn't been a great seller and that's part of why I got rid of mine and why it's so cheap now. I bought it at that rock bottom price and I loved some sounds ... otherwise I wouldn't have bought one in the first place. You clearly like it - go buy one and enjoy

BTW - happy 808 post
Lives for gear

Quote:
have so many better options. It hasn't been a great seller and that's part of why I got rid of mine and why it's so cheap now. I bought it at that rock bottom price and I loved some sounds ... otherwise I wouldn't have bought one in the first place. You clearly like it - go buy one and enjoy
Here in the U.S. new sealed box VCs are still typically $1899 for the 73, which I guess is about double what you might be able to get them for in the U.K. I have lots of other options too, but I find this appealing as a superlight 73 keyboard with a surprisingly nice action and nice sounds. If the YC61 were available as a YC73, that could be an option as well for this niche, but there isn't. I'm not sure which one's sounds I'd like better, though the Yamaha is certainly more full featured. But since there's no 73, comparing the sounds is moot for my purposes. There aren't really many alternatives if you want something that light with a good action.
Old 17th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
I used to own and use the Hammond SK-1 when it came out. And I bonded with it. One big advantage was that you could rest your palm at a space IN FRONT of the drawbards without knocking anything else out of setting.

The thing was when using split, I e both lower and upper manual, the keys came out too short. You need a 73/76 key keyboard for that.

Also, as I wanted it to be a "cheat" MIDI keyboard for all software stuff, I missed the obligatory pitch/mod wheel or controls.

Also after a while, when comparing to the Neo Ventilator, the Rotary/Leslie speaker came out just slightly on the wrong side of ... acceptable and decent.

Also when using a "long travel" volume foot pedal, when going from clean sound verging into crack, crunch the distortion fluttered like someone was crushin a bit of paper. It worked only in clean and full tilt distortion mode. The "graduality" was so so even if you tried to program it.

I did eventually buy a Neo Ventilator to use with it instead of the built in, but couldn't come to grips with the dynamics and "travel" into distortion and half cranked sounds. Full clean, and full on was more than ok, but it's the "wooff" when exploding with the volume pedal that was lacking.

- - - - - - - - - -

So I am wondering:

1. How the YC61 fares in the Rotary dept compared to Neo Ventilators?
2. How it behaves when connecting volume pedal to it with long travel and the gradual graininess into full tilt distortion. I e the in between settings?

Anyone that owns it dares to make a 2 cents on the above?

EDIT: I couldn't care less about VOx/Continental sounds, or the early 70s Yamaha YC-45 organs (as used by Chick Corea at the time etc). I am more a B3 guy if it comes to organ. So the YC-61 may turn out a bit overkill. BTW didn't some of the YC-45 organs sported a side to side key motion to produce vibrato. Does the YC-61 do that too?
Old 17th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honch View Post

- - - - - - - - - -

So I am wondering:

1. How the YC61 fares in the Rotary dept compared to Neo Ventilators?
2. How it behaves when connecting volume pedal to it with long travel and the gradual graininess into full tilt distortion. I e the in between settings?

Anyone that owns it dares to make a 2 cents on the above?

EDIT: I couldn't care less about VOx/Continental sounds, or the early 70s Yamaha YC-45 organs (as used by Chick Corea at the time etc). I am more a B3 guy if it comes to organ. So the YC-61 may turn out a bit overkill. BTW didn't some of the YC-45 organs sported a side to side key motion to produce vibrato. Does the YC-61 do that too?
The YC61 does not have side-to-side motion in the keys. The rotary is pretty good to my ear and unlike many sims, blends well to the organ sound and the fast speed is listenable for more than passing phrases. The YC61 has two leslie sims, one with more of smoking drive. It's not as good as a Neo Ventilator though.
Old 18th June 2020
Here's yet another take on the YC61:

If you want to hear a bunch of new presets I made for it, start at 17:20.

New YC61 Presets
Old 19th July 2020
Gear Maniac
The peculiar thing is that Yamaha seemed to dodge the 73 as it supposedly "didn't sell" or that 73 in general doesn't sell because people - instead - buys another 61 keys to put underneath a stand. I don't know but Hammond sk-1 later came out in a 73 version just due to demand, and nothing else. Beats me, where Yamaha got that from. And should you use "stage piano" and cover up a lots of things 73 performs better at both organ and piano sounds. Granted at 61, you can get away with most other bread and butter synth sounds, but since they seem to flaunt the drawbar flag, restructured waterfall keys design, and piano sounds I think they're somewhat finding shortcuts here. Now, how much more would it weight at 73 ? And be that much longer? Hey a 5 string bass of fanned frets, and long scale design you can carry on in a gig bag with no problems, I don't see why a 73 keys could do the same. It weighs like 7,3 kilos now.
Old 22nd August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
So now I had the time to actually physically try it, as my local music shop, finally brought one in. Thoroughly, in headphones only, BUT with much nagging, a volume pedal hooked up to it provided by the shop. The organ part is still quite crucial to me as a stage keyboard. And the only clone I can compare it to is the Hammond SK-1, plus the NORD, regarding that part.

In terms of Leslie, rotary, and the onboard drive nothing has happened since the Hammond SK-1, and yet, this one is just shy of double the price of that one. Still it sounds like crushing a bit of paper when it's on the verge to crank, and the Leslie isn't that "wow" at all. NEO's still the don in this field.

Mind you, this is in Sweden, and swedish prices. When I bought the SK-1 in 2011 it was in Swedish price 11.500 SEK (1.363 USD) and this one YC61 sells now for 21.500 (2.442 USD). Now, nuff of this.

It has a very logical layout, and is more easy to understand and get a quick overview than - say - the equivalent of NORD which this one competes with, really. The flip buttons, the switches which only works one way up is a new and first one for me. When adjusting and playing the drawbards with the palm and fingers it was easy to accidentally turn on one of those switches which effectively turned the organ section off, and... silent it went.

The keyboard though, felt very well for B3-organ smears and is a concession between real waterfall drop keys and other synth sounds suitablility. Piano is so so, but hey there's nothing like real 88 weighted keys for piano sound/feel anyway. The piano sound where tricky to get nuances out as the velocity was kind of askew when playing soft and silently. The rest of the sounds were the usual bread and butter lush sounds, and not too many things hidden under the hood, so one can't make a lot of own sounds, with waveforms and so on. It ended up, after 1 hour and a half, like something between meh, just decent and mediocre. Not anything gave me the wow factor. As for a home general midi mother keyboard it may play well, but I think it's bad that you have to buy a Neo Ventilator to circumvent the onboard rotary sounds, and so on. Reverb and effects were so-so, nothing but the usual suspect, but I think you don't buy this one for the delays/reverb. They're decent.

Pros: very easy to navigate and change sounds, and logical layout. Not as cluttered as NORD (those drives me beyond silly). Ergonomic layout. Sturdy build with not too many plastic knobs and things on the front. As a stage keyboard, this will last physically. There is a INPUT at the back panel which comes in handy. A built in mixer so to speak.

Cons: sounds as a swiss army knife, nothing to write home about. Passable, decent, bread and butter sounds. Keyboard sounded and felt just a tad too sluggish, as if the onboard sounds came from external software on a PC/MAC with a bit of latency through the soundcard etc. When I played runs, it felt, like it lagged on the most s*****,transient, and percussive sounds, piano, organ with percussion on 2nd and fast, and so on. Beats me.

If this came as a 73 keyboard AT THIS PRICE, not until then it would be somewhat more worthwhile. But this is still with the caveats above.

As for now, I can think that it will have a hard time, when the competition out there is taken in into comparison. It still reminds me of Rolands VR-09B which came much much cheaper (maybe a third of the price), and that one didn't sound all that cheaper in most sounds, including organ. Less to edit, though, on that one. If this one was set to top that one, they should've been in the oven with this one a bit longer, before they put it out on market. OR cut the price in half....

If you look at some handy stage keyboard at this price, start by looking elsewhere first, even if the technology in those keyboards (Nords, Rolands etc) are older than on this one.

Verdict in two words: Slightly underwhelmed.

Last edited by Honch; 23rd August 2020 at 08:29 AM..
Gear Maniac
Anyways here's a new YT flick not sponsored about "hidden" items in the YC61, but there's nothing hidden. Listen to with good headphones. Good runthrough with sound examples. But I knew this already. Just so you think I am not biased.

The main feature that is hidden, comes at the end, and where this one comes in quite handy in genereal midi keyboard for VI on hosts like iPads, like...he's showing KORG plugin as a iOS module and runs it within the USB as it deputies as a USB soundcard also, so you don't need to use the extra analog input. All sounds from the iOS plugins runs through USB interface of the YC61.
Old 22nd August 2020
Gear Maniac

I definitely prefer the sound in the Nords, as well as the GSi Gemini. Even the Roland VR09 has some nice sounds and it is much cheaper. If the Yamaha was compared to the Roland and was put into that price bracket it would probably be more impressive but not for its current price.
Lives for gear

Quote:
In terms of Leslie, rotary, and the onboard drive nothing has happened since the Hammond SK-1, and yet, this one is just shy of double the price of that one.
Very different competitive landscape in the U.S. - SK1 is $1895, YC61 is $1995.

Quote:
It still reminds me of Rolands VR-09B which came much much cheaper (maybe a third of the price)
Half in the U.S., at $1k. But I think the YC arguably justifies its premium, at least on paper...

YC61 advantages over VR09B (to my understanding, having not played one):
* split/layer 3 sounds instead of 2
* each split/layered sound can have its own effects
* effects controls are endless encoders with LED rings so they indicate (and are editable from) their current setting
* more effects control (ie. separate rate and depth knobs)
* split/layered sounds can be panned
* 4 fully featured MIDI zones instead of 1 limited function MIDI zone
* 160 user programs all selectable from buttons and via MIDI, vs. 100 user programs with only 16 selectable from buttons and not at all via MIDI
* internal power supply
* built-in USB audio interface
* LED strips to indicate drawbar positions
* ability to have the sound instantly reflect the current drawbar positions
* drawbars send MIDI CC
* supports 2 foot switches and 2 foot controllers (instead of 1 of each)
* specific Vox and Farfisa emulations (Roland has a single "transistor" organ emulation)
* an action that most people probably find superior to that of the VR-09/B

That's a lot of advantages. The main VR09 advantage I see over YC61 is its full VA synth, editable via iPad, and that could be a big one for some people.
Old 23rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Okay, getting interested myself. What’s the lowest price to aim at?
Old 23rd August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
..snip...

Verdict in two words: Slightly underwhelmed.
These are good reviews and comments. These multi-sound drawbar kbds are quite a lot of money and we expect everything to be right. So far it's been a bit rubbish experience for me, it seems the idea might be too much for manufacturers..

I recently got the SK2 and disappointed by some of it's ...aspects. Drawbars start at 3! SK2 drawbar position 1 = real C3 position 3, all those gentle whipsy sounds not possible, I notice this on the higher bars. The Suzuki drawbar attenuation simply doesn't match the real Hammond spec, bad.
I found sample loop click in one tonewheeel F#6, listen closely on a 2 second loop.. click..click...click. Most people won't hear it but we are...used to samplers and trying to make seamless loops, so they jump out at us. EQ, Suzuki -9dB is really -4dB

On the plus side, the SK2 ability to create custom tonewheels is 95% good. I have managed to make the raw tonewheel sounds 98% identical to my real C3. That custom TW set then needs a Preset to make an "organ" - sorta about right. Some parameters are too coarse to get right. The difference between say 5 and 6, when what I need is 5.5. Percussion sounds a bit to digital. Few if any tweak points on the distortion (bad). The Fx knob is mapped to Rate I want Depth not Rate!!?

So as Honch says, SK2 Verdict in two words: Slightly underwhelmed. and in my case I've listed my grips to Suzuki in the hope they will attend to these details. As expected they suggest I buy their latest high priced offering, I say if there's oddies on the long standing SK series who knows what I might find on their flagship model.

Last edited by RetroFunk; 23rd August 2020 at 06:45 AM..
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Very different competitive landscape in the U.S. - SK1 is $1895, YC61 is $1995.

Half in the U.S., at $1k. But I think the YC arguably justifies its premium, at least on paper...
Yes, very different competitive landscape in Sweden vs U.S. You all must take this into account when judging my review. I can't base my review on what it costs (and the competition like NORD) in the U.K or U.S. Of course you have to do that, otherwise it's totally moot.

The SK1 was a 2011 modelling of some sorts, and I agree, not without of concessions. I have owned and used extensively a Hammond XK-3 as well, the larger one with a tube in, and reversed color key at the leftmost keyboard part. So I should really have put that one in too, in comparison of the organ part of the yc61. I used/bought that one after the SK1, used, so it doesn't really count as it is a sole B3 clone with no possibilities to use other sounds. I sold the SK1 due to some nitpicku shortcomings, especially in the rotary dept, overdrive. As well as the drawbas thing. I bought the early Neo ventilator (the large first unit) for the SK1 and kept it while I swapped to the XK-3. So the XK3 was "ventilated" too!

The XK-3 was too heavy and needed a flight case to be hauled properly. A soft "gig bag" would not be able to carry its weight without ripping apart eventually.

But that was one of the reasons, I swapped to XK3. The heaviness (and 73 keys) made it better to do long glissandos and weird B3 smears along the keyboard without it moving, or dislocating from whatever keyboard stand it stood on.The SK1 was lightweight but moved easily. But just for info, the Hammond SK1 and the XK3 Hammond, is the same parent company Suzuki, so maybe the same engine inside, and all the drawbar idiosyncrasises. For good and bad.

So, regarding Roland VB09, Nord, Hammond/Suzuki SK, XK3 series, it should be stated again, that I must compare those pricings for me personally in Sweden. Today the SK1 new, is even more steep in price around here. I thought it should go the other way, as it isn't the hottest "new-kid-on-the-block" item anymore. Technology from 2010 (or around).

However, NORD is the closest ones, to both you and me, since they are about the same prices in Sweden as in the rest of the world. Don't think that just becuase they are designed/developed in Sweden that they come cheaper. It's only where they are manufactured that sets the end price. For all.

NORD leaves me silly. Beyond silly. The other week, I sat in on keys on a local jam, and a Nord with drawbars was there. I tried and tried to get rid of the scanner vibrato (just wanted rotary) by pressing the ON/OFF button, but had to ask the guy who owned it that "how tf do you kill the vibrato !?..." and he pressed and HELD three buttons at once, before it stopped. Some kind of locking system, I don't know, butnot my kind of modus operandi. And one of the notes all of a sudden hung for no reason...omg. And their ever "arty" solution for pitch and modulation wheels.

Here YC61 (but granted, others too) wins hands down with that you can pitch bend and modulate at the same time, with the same fingers on those levers. Mostly used with other synths sounds than B3/piano but anyway.

As such, black and sleek YC61, and its sturdy build is maybe what counts, in this price range. It looks more professional and "business" than the other ones.

- - - - - - -

Regarding those drawbar things of the SK1 (Xk3 as well) where it just kicks in at 3 and not the faint 1 setting, the Xk3 and Nord does this too. As well as YC61, actually. May be an engine setting where you can edit "octave foldback" but I don't know.
Lives for gear

I’m really keen to demo this keyboard very soon. I’ve been using a Hammond XK1 for years and it has been a great workhorse but I could do with a load more bread and butter sounds. I have tried the SK1 but personally preferred the Hammond tone in the XK1. I have done a lot of tweaking with the sound in my XK1 and also tried this with the SK1 but it sounded a little more plastic and digital.
I like the Nord Electro 6D 61 but it doesn’t have pitch or modulation wheels which I will need for synth and other patches.
The Yamaha YC61 has all the features I want and seems very user friendly. If it can at least match the sound Hammond sound of my XK1 I will probably go for one of these!

I’m also looking to upgrade my ancient Roland RD300GX for something lighter and better. The new RD88, Kurzweil PC4 and Yamaha MODX8 are the three I’m interested in.
Gear Maniac
Auto turn off...

One thing I've discovered with new electronic gear lately - THAT ISN'T AND CAN'T BE RUN ON BATTERIES - is that they've slowly started to sneak in, a strange AUTO TURN OFF feature, on keyboards and other outboard electronic gear, such as ACTIVE STUDIO MONITORS. Beats me.

YC61 has this. I don't know if ever Nord, Roland, Hammond/suzuki has had this.

Luckily on the YC61, the DEFAULT MODE IS DISABLED. However, I have never ever understood this on mains operated units at all, and the why's of it, neither the incentive for even include it. It's different if the unit has rechargable batteries, or batteries at all. Only then it makes sense.

Some units has the mode ENABLED as default, after say 30 minutes, and if you're in edit mode, you get a phone call, leaves for something else, and all of a sudden - if you have not saved your edited patch - when you come back, all is lost.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Maybe another thread, but just a warning, heed of advice, that YC61 has this one, and you're able to edit it in enable/disable mode.
Gear Maniac
FM sounds on YC61

Maybe the one thing that put me SLIGHTLY off with the YC61 is Yamahas ever ongoing quest to shove down in our throats that FM synth technology was/is the best thing to human mankind since sliced bacon.

All in all, I think it was those FM synth patches on the YC61 that was occuring now and then in the factory presets, that was giving me the overall "meh" feeling. I don't think time has fared well with DX-7 sounds which I didn't particularly liked anyway from the start on. The other AWM2 sounds where considerably better, but still, a bit of too much "bread and butter" sounds.

One thing of note, not that it is that much different from competion, is that the YC61 do have full 128 voice polyphony, which is almost a must when it comes to organ, and piano sounds. And then, regarding stacking and doubling sounds, and zones, you have to get pretty fat with layers before you starting to run out of polyphony and "stealing".
Gear Maniac
I suggest you read the SoundOnSound review when it comes out. if it does at all. They use to have a pay wall the first 6 months of a review, before they release that particular review to the public for free.

SOS reviews are the only ones I trust these days.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs801 View Post
Even the Roland VR09 has some nice sounds and it is much cheaper. If the Yamaha was compared to the Roland and was put into that price bracket it would probably be more impressive but not for its current price.
Yes, I agree completely.

That was the turning point when I tested the YC61. Sort of "I remember that the VR09 had the same sounds, and some sounds better". Virtual Analog at least...

But as I prioritized the organ department, and YC61/Yamaha really flaunts their waterfall keys, and drawbars and yada yada, I thought it was well worth investigating first. However, the VR09 has more plastic exterior,and the YC61 definitely not, on the contrary. But even that doesn't justify the price diff.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
.... When I played runs, it felt, like it lagged on the most s*****, transient, and percussive sounds, piano, organ with percussion on 2nd and fast, and so on...
BTW is there some new word I've missed that has been banned recently? I see that my word was censored out with asterisks...

the word I typed in was the short word meaning:

"a thin, pointed piece of metal, wood, or another rigid material."

Is that a pejorative for something else I've missed? Now it's inevitable since it's not my native language, so I have to know how to phrase it later on. I've used this word to describe sharp sounds in other forums without any hitch...
Old 23rd August 2020
Gear Head

Surprised to see the vr09 getting mentioned.

I had one, and whilst the organ sounded "ok", it is a toy in comparison to the nords, Hammonds and this new Yamaha in my opinion. The keybed was poor for organ and terrible for piano. Very cheap build quality overall. The midi implementation was also useless when it came to being able to recall multis.

When I upgraded to an electro 5d it was worth every extra penny it cost.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe the one thing that put me SLIGHTLY off with the YC61 is Yamahas ever ongoing quest to shove down in our throats that FM synth technology was/is the best thing to human mankind since sliced bacon.

All in all, I think it was those FM synth patches on the YC61 that was occuring now and then in the factory presets, that was giving me the overall "meh" feeling. I don't think time has fared well with DX-7 sounds which I didn't particularly liked anyway from the start on. The other AWM2 sounds where considerably better, but still, a bit of too much "bread and butter" sounds.

One thing of note, not that it is that much different from competion, is that the YC61 do have full 128 voice polyphony, which is almost a must when it comes to organ, and piano sounds. And then, regarding stacking and doubling sounds, and zones, you have to get pretty fat with layers before you starting to run out of polyphony and "stealing".
Equating FM with the DX7’s sine only 6op engine’s sound is a bit meh considering the majority of yamaha FM synths released are in fact multiwave engine and can produce a lot more than sounds people typically associate with the FM engine. The fact that Dexed and the korg volca havent incorporated a Multiwave engine and filters hasn’t helped to remove the 1983 stigma. It’s a bit annoying considerig we’ve had the SY77 since december 1989 with multi waves, filters and what not and people still think FM is just the grit and bells and limitations from the DX7. It’s a bit annoying.
Gear Maniac
Sound on sound review available..

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-yc61-cp88

As it says: Published September 2020

br
Authority of TimeDilatation
Lives for gear

Quote:
But that was one of the reasons, I swapped to XK3. The heaviness (and 73 keys) made it better to do long glissandos and weird B3 smears along the keyboard without it moving, or dislocating from whatever keyboard stand it stood on.The SK1 was lightweight but moved easily.
You can try adding velcro between the bottom of the board and the stand for that kind of thing.

Quote:
NORD leaves me silly. Beyond silly. The other week, I sat in on keys on a local jam, and a Nord with drawbars was there. I tried and tried to get rid of the scanner vibrato (just wanted rotary) by pressing the ON/OFF button, but had to ask the guy who owned it that "how tf do you kill the vibrato !?..." and he pressed and HELD three buttons at once, before it stopped. Some kind of locking system, I don't know, butnot my kind of modus operandi...And their ever "arty" solution for pitch and modulation wheels.
I'm not aware of any kind of lock... my experience is that the Nord buttons work just as you'd expect them to.The fact that it had pitch/mod controls tells me it was a Nord Stage model, so here's my guess:

The Stage front panel has a full set of organ, piano, and synth controls, but what is not immediately obvious is that it actually has TWO full sets of these controls, "panel A" and "panel B" which allows you to create two completely different sets of multi-sound front panel settings and layer them or transition between them as you'd like (i.e. with a pedal, wheel, aftertouch, or button). As long as the Nord is in this "two sound" mode, at any given time, the front panel could be reflecting the settings of sound A OR the settings of sound B. If the sound you're trying to alter is on "panel A" but the front panel controls are set to display/modify the sound of "panel B", your panel A sound will be unaffected by your front panel manipulation until you hit the appropriate buttons to switch the front panel controls to the other panel. So you could be hitting buttons and not getting the sonic result you expect.

In that case, if you simply want to switch which panel you're editing, that's a single button press... but you'd still be able to hear (or switch between) all the sounds of both panels. If instead you want to totally disable one of the panels, there is a hold-the-button function for that. So if he was holding a button, he probably did that to totally disable a switchable layer he had programmed in, turning that off in order to simplify the operation for you, i.e. so that everything you saw on the panel would be an exact representation of everything you were hearing. That button-hold function is not a typical operation, it's not needed to turn off vibrato, he was doing it to switch the board to its more basic single-panel mode, to establish the one-to-one control that would make the board simpler to operate for someone who just walked up and started playing without understanding the process by which the Nord can layer or transition between two sets of sounds, and so assuring that each front panel control will do what you expect.

As an aside, I really like the Nord's pitch stick. ;-)

Quote:
Here YC61 (but granted, others too) wins hands down with that you can pitch bend and modulate at the same time, with the same fingers on those levers. Mostly used with other synths sounds than B3/piano but anyway.
On the Nord, I think the best way to pitch bend and modulate at the same time is by assigning your modulation to aftertouch instead of the wheel. Though you can certainly use your thumb on the mod wheel while using other fingers to bend the pitch stick at the same time.

Quote:
One thing I've discovered with new electronic gear lately...a strange AUTO TURN OFF feature...Can anyone explain this to me?
I've been told it is required to meet legal regulations (energy saving requirements for electronic gear) in some areas. I agree, it is irritating, I've lost work that way too.

Quote:
One thing of note, not that it is that much different from competion, is that the YC61 do have full 128 voice polyphony, which is almost a must when it comes to organ
Related, the YC61 tonewheel organ sound is modeled. So whereas a patch that gives you 9-drawbar adjustability on a sample-based Montage can use up 9 instances of polyphony on a single keypress (or more, if they are also reproducing things like keyclick and leakage), that same tone likely uses just a single instance of polyphony on the YC61 (based on how organ modeling has worked on other boards).

Quote:
That was the turning point when I tested the YC61. Sort of "I remember that the VR09 had the same sounds, and some sounds better". Virtual Analog at least...
Yes, as I said earlier, I think that's the biggest VR advantage. It has a VA synth engine, the YC (and most other clonewheels) do not.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by FbHorse View Post
Surprised to see the vr09 getting mentioned.

I had one, and whilst the organ sounded "ok", it is a toy in comparison to the nords, Hammonds and this new Yamaha in my opinion. The keybed was poor for organ and terrible for piano. Very cheap build quality overall. The midi implementation was also useless when it came to being able to recall multis.

When I upgraded to an electro 5d it was worth every extra penny it cost.
Yes, it's mainly the physical aspects. Mind you all that NORD has at least optional keyboards for Electro 5D. They offer a 61 key version, 73, and even 76 and 88 in some select cases, maybe not Electro 5D in 88 though. But again, they do offer a 73 key version with drawbar, and around the very same price...even a tad cheaper. If you can stand the red, and NORDs omission of controller wheels on this one.

https://www.thomann.de/se/clavia_nord_electro_6d_73.htm

You have a 1 gb piano sample library, 500 mb sample synth library available that is expandable though. Right now at Thomann (for Euro users) :

18,890 SEK = 2,144.59 USD

and the Yamaha YC61

18,000 SEK = 2,043 USD but not available in 2-3 weeks...

I don't think I'll make any plunge on either of these. Just so there are competitive brands out there for you to search. You may very well be infatuated with the physical possibilities (usb, inputs) of the YC61, and the sturdy build (which do have serious merit) but the actual sound should and can very well be compared to the rest of similar units out there. Including things much cheaper.

Me myself thinks like this: The first Neo Ventilator has been out since at least 2011 and the competition should have had ample time to just listen without blatantly back engineering and copying it right off. I bet more than one company, including Yamaha may have asked for "license" by mr Neo himself, Guido Hirsch, but got a "no" as a reply back. Understandably. It's a thing like with most real Leslie 122s. You could keep it but change those organs from Hammond L100, B3, C3, M100 back and forth, and use the Leslie all the way through.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FbHorse View Post
Surprised to see the vr09 getting mentioned...When I upgraded to an electro 5d it was worth every extra penny it cost.
Quote:
Yes, it's mainly the physical aspects.
Without wanting to derail the thread too much, VR-09 vs. Nord Electro 5D is discussed pretty thoroughly at http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthr...vs_Roland_VR_0 (though the Roland has had an update since then, and has had some other capabilities added through a free third-party editor; and of course the Electro 5 has been replaced by the Electro 6 which added more functionality on that side, though lost some as well).
📝 Reply