The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New korg wavestate...
Old 1 week ago
A few more details of the services provided on the wavestate (these are all revealed in plaintext in the network packet captures)

ClientService - this is what the librarian uses to register itself with the wavestate, and synchronizes the Wavestate's internal clock with your computer
SoundLibraryService - handles exporting/importing, searching the library on the wavestate, etc
ProductService - allows the librarian to trigger popup messages on the Wavestate (for example "ProductService"ShowPopupMessage "Transferring data")
ParameterDescriptorService - not sure what this does but may be useful for getting the details of a specific patch?

Some packets contain references to paths on the local filesystem too:

¨
Feedback Lead¦/Users/John/Documents/Korg/Inspiration File System/FileSystem/External/Final Voicing/Wavestate_Data_11-5-19_RC_e/BuildingBlock/000_FeedbackLead_PitchLane.rsgvaluelane*Melodic:
John BowenQ7*]Y7*]a7*]
BuildingBlockÒ

And also....

Xb SoundListzÚTaste Of Wavestate…/Users/dan/Documents/Korg/Spark/Spark Databases Dan/External/Backup before 1.0 cleanup 10-8/Wavestate1/000_TasteOfWavestate.soundlist*User:KorgQ·]YE¯]aE¯] Wavestate 1Êx18100 ÀüÚ

So now we know of two userID's, "dan" and "John" which potentially allow login access (the wavestate is listening to ssh on port 22), but that's probably not going to be the easiest way to get access: it would be easier just to pull out the Pi module and put it in a dev kit and mount the filesystem (after the warranty expires of course!)

Also, not sure what the "spark database" is, that is probably just an internal name because the only other Spark I know of is Apache Spark which would be extreme overkill - it's designed for cluster computing and deep learning and would make no sense on a synth. "Spark" and "Inspiration" seem like they're related and just cute codenames for the internal file structure.

I realize that none of this is actually useful information, just a matter of curiosity. ALL I WANT IS AN EDITOR!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsHead View Post
Cheers.
Korg Wavestate played live onto my Boss RC 1 looper. Its a bit like making a sketch. Wait for the loop to come round and then add a little colour (sound) again and again and see where it goes.
How many sounds? I lost count. I then just record onto a Tascam little 8 track. Master it and export to the SD card. Pop it in my MacBook and make it into a video with iMovie. Really simple set up.
How do you get a seamless audio loop with a pad sound on a looper? I would always get a break or click in the sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
How do you get a seamless audio loop with a pad sound on a looper? I would always get a break or click in the sound.
Rec>Overdub instead of Rec>Play?

Edit for forgetfulness; If your looper doesn't support the above, you can record a blank loop first, then as you overdub from that point, the loop boundaries get passed without issue.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudinthenight View Post
A few more details of the services provided on the wavestate (these are all revealed in plaintext in the network packet captures)

ClientService - this is what the librarian uses to register itself with the wavestate, and synchronizes the Wavestate's internal clock with your computer
SoundLibraryService - handles exporting/importing, searching the library on the wavestate, etc
ProductService - allows the librarian to trigger popup messages on the Wavestate (for example "ProductService"ShowPopupMessage "Transferring data")
ParameterDescriptorService - not sure what this does but may be useful for getting the details of a specific patch?

Some packets contain references to paths on the local filesystem too:

¨
Feedback Lead¦/Users/John/Documents/Korg/Inspiration File System/FileSystem/External/Final Voicing/Wavestate_Data_11-5-19_RC_e/BuildingBlock/000_FeedbackLead_PitchLane.rsgvaluelane*Melodic:
John BowenQ7*]Y7*]a7*]
BuildingBlockÒ

And also....

Xb SoundListzÚTaste Of Wavestate…/Users/dan/Documents/Korg/Spark/Spark Databases Dan/External/Backup before 1.0 cleanup 10-8/Wavestate1/000_TasteOfWavestate.soundlist*User:KorgQ·]YE¯]aE¯] Wavestate 1Êx18100 ÀüÚ

So now we know of two userID's, "dan" and "John" which potentially allow login access (the wavestate is listening to ssh on port 22), but that's probably not going to be the easiest way to get access: it would be easier just to pull out the Pi module and put it in a dev kit and mount the filesystem (after the warranty expires of course!)

Also, not sure what the "spark database" is, that is probably just an internal name because the only other Spark I know of is Apache Spark which would be extreme overkill - it's designed for cluster computing and deep learning and would make no sense on a synth. "Spark" and "Inspiration" seem like they're related and just cute codenames for the internal file structure.

I realize that none of this is actually useful information, just a matter of curiosity. ALL I WANT IS AN EDITOR!
It’s not useless info at all. Maybe you could load the zynthian build of Debian into the board for example, it is already made for this kind of work.

Thst would be a really cool project just for fun.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well, the dan refers to Dan Phillips, he was involved in both wavestation and wavestate.
John is John Bowen.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Does the Wavestate have any of those early 90's Sound Canvas / general midi style instrument presets or sampled sounds, like "rock"drums", saxophones, mallets etc.? You know the ones that sound a bit unrealistic and cheezy? Would love those.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
Does the Wavestate have any of those early 90's Sound Canvas / general midi style instrument presets or sampled sounds, like "rock"drums", saxophones, mallets etc.? You know the ones that sound a bit unrealistic and cheezy? Would love those.
Oh yeah, there's plenty of those, including the samples from the original Wavestation.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
buy a Boss RC1 £77

you play a loop with a pad with a long release and the tail of the patch carries onto the re-loop when you end the loop.

TIP! if you get an RC 1 unscrew the foot plate, take it off, take the spring off and you have a light weight trigger that you can use your finger to stop and start the loop.

So you play/record a chord with a pad. When you press stop the recording continues but the looper marks the stop point of the loop, so you sort of overdub the tail of the pad.

I need to make a video tutorial.
I'm into keeping things simple.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Anyone else seeing the keyboard hang when powering off? Just keeps displaying "shutting down.... "
Has happened a few times now and I have to unplug the power. Reinstalled system software.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphNYC View Post
Anyone else seeing the keyboard hang when powering off? Just keeps displaying "shutting down.... "
Has happened a few times now and I have to unplug the power. Reinstalled system software.
Nope.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I LOVE that synth. It compliments the Hydrasynth quite beautifully

Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Autumn is here in Melbourne, Australia and there's a winter chill in the air. The Wavestate is the perfect accompaniment to the falling leaves outside...

The arpeggiated patch and pad are 100% Wavestate including internal FX only.
The lead is ARP Odyssey with a little external reverb and tape delay.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
No. It definitely takes the longest of any of my gear to shut down, but it always turns off eventually. Yep, I'd reinstall the OS.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by -groovatious- View Post
No. It definitely takes the longest of any of my gear to shut down, but it always turns off eventually. Yep, I'd reinstall the OS.
Yes a few second to start up and a few to shut down.
My Kronos took 2 mins to boot and zero second to turn off. Which is a curiosity.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have noticed this a couple times when a USB cable is plugged into the Wavestate, without the USB never happens.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes, I have the same issue. Korg is aware of this issue.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Here it seems to shut down with not problems. it takes about 11 to 12 seconds (it almost is in its factory state, i programmed 50 patches and 8 perf, in case this would change the shutting time).)
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post
I have noticed this a couple times when a USB cable is plugged into the Wavestate, without the USB never happens.
No USB cable plugged in here. Consistently 12 second shut down time.

Which is fine
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Autumn is here in Melbourne, Australia and there's a winter chill in the air. The Wavestate is the perfect accompaniment to the falling leaves outside...

The arpeggiated patch and pad are 100% Wavestate including internal FX only.
The lead is ARP Odyssey with a little external reverb and tape delay.
Wow, very nice!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsHead View Post
buy a Boss RC1 £77

you play a loop with a pad with a long release and the tail of the patch carries onto the re-loop when you end the loop.

TIP! if you get an RC 1 unscrew the foot plate, take it off, take the spring off and you have a light weight trigger that you can use your finger to stop and start the loop.

So you play/record a chord with a pad. When you press stop the recording continues but the looper marks the stop point of the loop, so you sort of overdub the tail of the pad.

I need to make a video tutorial.
I'm into keeping things simple.
Definitely been thinking of a looper. Just so much better for capturing in the moment inspirations where as a DAW that gets ruined with too much fiddling and overthinking.

Would love to see that tutorial, if you make it page me please
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Is it me or is all reverb tails tilted toward the right.

What i did was take Init Performance and change sample to Saw running 1 step at lowest speed. Then i added reverb and did some testing. If reverb is set to fully WET then its very obvious and even more if you set E3 Timbre to -100.

Try with Reverb preset : Iceland Piano Pad or similar longer reverbs
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Weird, why is there no dotted ping pong delay ? 3 patterns offer dotted 8 and they are all MONO:

1/8 dotted HPF
1/8 dotted LPF
Acid Berlin

This is a real let down for making Berlin School rhythmic patterns.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Thank you - good to know
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Definitely been thinking of a looper. Just so much better for capturing in the moment inspirations where as a DAW that gets ruined with too much fiddling and overthinking.

Would love to see that tutorial, if you make it page me please
I keep my Wavestate and 2 other synths connected to an MPC live. I can use the looper in conjunction with the sequencer. I wish I didn’t have to work full time : )
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Just a quickie.
Not analogue not modular but its a great little digi box.

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
I'm pretty interested in the Wavestate, but I doubt if anyplace around here will stock one.
Probably the only way to try one would be to order from someplace with a return policy.

For those who have one, what's the overall verdict - worth it?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I'm pretty interested in the Wavestate, but I doubt if anyplace around here will stock one.
Probably the only way to try one would be to order from someplace with a return policy.

Absolutely !!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Very interesting device. Lots of potential I think.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Control Voltage in Portland still might have some. This is a fantastic synth, highly recommend.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

This is not a big problem in any way, I just want to know if someone here can check this.

The other day when switching on some equipment I came close the top of the Wavestate. I then discovered that there is a very low volume high pitched whining noise from inside at certain positions. You have to have the ear at exact positions to hear it. One point is directly to the left of the mod knobs and another is at about seq step button 3. If you don’t instantly hear it, move your head a bit.

This is not something you normally hear when playing the Wavestate, but I just wanted to check this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search