The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New korg wavestate...
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Wavestate First Impressions from a hobbyist

Qualifier: I am not a musician (in the sense that I do not play music for money and have never sold any "music" I have created). I consider myself someone interested in playing around with sounds. It might even be stretch to call myself a sound designer. I am a hobbyist, or even an enthusiast, but not someone who understands the intricacies of circuitry, midi implementation, sysex dumps, etc. So, you might find my impressions overly simplistic to be valuable. Korg might find them useful though, as I am guessing I am one of its target audiences.

So, I've only had the Wavestate for about a day. I spent a few hours playing around with it. You can certainly cruise through Performance Presets, and wiggle the white Mod/Macro buttons and have some fun right away. To get beyond this, though, there is an immediate brick wall in the interface in terms of what you need to do to move around to different parameter changes. Even changing banks on the Set Lists is not immediately intuitive. So, I think it was really smart of Korg to design this so that turning a knob will almost always (but not always) take you to the page of the interface on the LED that you are tweaking. Kind of reminds me of Omnisphere's brilliant way of doing that with its hardware integration effort. Also, I have found going through Loopop's review and tutorial very helpful as I learn the interface : https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

One thing that surprised me was how interesting it is to go to an Init performance and then randomize the whole thing, with all four lanes active. Crazy!

I have also found that making even very little changes in your own sounds or in the presets can have a significant impact on the overall sound. The complexity of the kinds of sounds I have already begun to create are well worth the rather steep learning curve.

One last thing, for now. I have a Korg Kronos. I had thought that the Wavestate might be too much of an overlap. It is not. I love the Kronos for what it is. But it is not well designed for doing much with creating your own wave sequenced programs, unless you really want to get into programming it (which I don't). The Wavestate has given me immediate access to sound manipulation that I have never felt I had with the Korg, for this kind of synthesis. I am so far very glad I bought this synth. I am sure I will have years of enjoyment getting to know it's capabilities and all the beautiful sounds I can create with it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Here's some tweaking of the factory Presets along with layering some of Plugin Gurus Brass samples can sound like in the context of a hip hop beat, drums are my own samples from my MPC.

https://soundcloud.com/jonjonhamilto...e-instrumental
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybland View Post
Here's some tweaking of the factory Presets along with layering some of Plugin Gurus Brass samples can sound like in the context of a hip hop beat, drums are my own samples from my MPC.

https://soundcloud.com/jonjonhamilto...e-instrumental
Fun! Thanks for sharing.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soulcatcher View Post
I'm missing the option to import and use "standard" samples as an optional sound source.
Maybe in the MKII version .....
Well, you're missing the librarian software, because you can, now.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep6 View Post
Sorry if I am asking something that eventually has been cleared already, but I just can't find it anywhere.

The ARP can be set to hold but I cannot find a way to hold Notes / Chords without the ARP running.

Wasn't there a solution with using a (hold) pedal ?

Somehow I couldn't find it in the Manual too ?

Thx for a little hint ! ;-)
I'm guessing that you meant a solution *without* using a hold pedal (personally, I do use a hold pedal, aka damper pedal). If you search for "hold" in the PDF Owner's Manual, you'll find one option...
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post
Wishlist item:

A second press or double press on the Lane Preset button would take you to the second page of the Lane editing screen, this would make editing wave sequence parameters so much faster. vs having to jump back over to use shift + >.

While having the Lane Preset button is super convenient to get to the first page of Lane editing I frequently find myself needing to go directly to the second page for editing Lane parameters.

Is this possible Korg gurus ??

Thanks,
I may not understand correctly. There are three pages: Lane, Lane Step, and Lane Utility. They are arranged in a loop, like this: Lane <-> Lane Step <-> Lane Utility (<-> Lane).

The WSEQ LANE controls (Lane select (e.g. TIMING, SAMPLE etc.), Preset, Start/End knobs, Note Advance, Loop Mode) go to the Lane page.

The WSEQ STEPS buttons go to the Lane Step page. So, you can jump to each step using the front-panel buttons. Provided that the desired Lane is already selected, you don't need to do anything else first, even if you've been editing something else (such as the filter or envelopes). It *sounds* like that's what you're referring to by the "second page" - is that correct?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Dan,
Whats the chances of an editor coming soon from Korg?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordradish View Post
Well, you're missing the librarian software, because you can, now.
He's suggesting importing samples/wavetables, this is not possible in the librarian.
I would absolutely love this by the way!
Old 6 days ago
If anyone is having problems using the Updater or Sound Librarian on Windows 10, versions 1903 and later, please send me a PM.
Old 6 days ago
On a completely unrelated note: I couldn’t help but notice that the Wavestate, when connected via USB and running the network driver, is listening on port 22 (ssh)... as if to taunt me.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
I may not understand correctly. There are three pages: Lane, Lane Step, and Lane Utility. They are arranged in a loop, like this: Lane <-> Lane Step <-> Lane Utility (<-> Lane).

The WSEQ LANE controls (Lane select (e.g. TIMING, SAMPLE etc.), Preset, Start/End knobs, Note Advance, Loop Mode) go to the Lane page.

The WSEQ STEPS buttons go to the Lane Step page. So, you can jump to each step using the front-panel buttons. Provided that the desired Lane is already selected, you don't need to do anything else first, even if you've been editing something else (such as the filter or envelopes). It *sounds* like that's what you're referring to by the "second page" - is that correct?
Thanks for the reply!

Yes that is what i meant, which you will see i figured out what you are saying here a couple posts later.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I think the Wavestate was designed just about as well as it could have been for its size of 37 keys.

I'd love them to actually expand the desktop to make it easier to control and navigate since it would be unshackled from the 3-octave size constraint but I guess that is extremely unlikely.

Even though I prefer hardware I would love a software version, even if it was priced at a premium so HW sales don't suffer.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Just nitpicking, but needing to use Shift for fx parameters 2 and 3 could have been avoided- there’s a big chunk of blank panel in that general area that could have fit 2 more knobs.
In general, I’m finding it pretty quick and smooth to get around though...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
I think the Wavestate was designed just about as well as it could have been for its size of 37 keys.

I'd love them to actually expand the desktop to make it easier to control and navigate since it would be unshackled from the 3-octave size constraint but I guess that is extremely unlikely.

Even though I prefer hardware I would love a software version, even if it was priced at a premium so HW sales don't suffer.
+1 for software version, I'd totally buy it over the hardware...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I can see the reason why software, or an editor keeps being mentioned. If you scroll to about 28:20 you can hear Nick from Sonic State is on the same page with us,about Korg bringing out an editor for the Wavestate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Korg is selling the software version of the 1999 Triton for $249 so a software version of the Wavestate is possible...if you can wait a little. But to repeat myself, if Korg is listening, I would most like a desktop or rack version of the Wavestate!!!

BTW, the demo version of the Triton VST has a very generous 30 minutes before it times out. I enjoy it very much.

Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Has anyone in the UK got one of these? Can't find them anywhere!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdee View Post
Yep, had the Wavestate a couple weeks now, still wating for the 2600!
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

where from? Seen any stock anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvoyager View Post
Yep, had the Wavestate a couple weeks now, still wating for the 2600!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post
Korg is selling the software version of the 1999 Triton for $249 so a software version of the Wavestate is possible...if you can wait a little. But to repeat myself, if Korg is listening, I would most like a desktop or rack version of the Wavestate!!!

BTW, the demo version of the Triton VST has a very generous 30 minutes before it times out. I enjoy it very much.

There is far more of us. There is a limited amount of space one can have for HW. My iPad can hold much larger number of apps.
I am sure Korg made killing with gadget and the modules and no need to produce anything physical.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
where from? Seen any stock anywhere?

Mine came from Andertons, one of the first batch to arrive in the UK. Nothing else expected in the UK now until April / May as far as I know.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

To the gentleman who said he can get a wavestate for around 600 in Japan , I'd grab it there, as the ones being sold from Japan, are running about $900 at the moment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KORG-wavest...gAAOSwoP1ec2IO
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I ordered at the end of feb from music matter, got it within a week. Though when I ordered they had a listing for their next expected delivery, and they no longer have that on their site.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Just an ambient loop with all synth sounds coming from the Wavestate.
No work, no money for a few weeks, so.........

Stay Safe !

Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

A Truly beautiful piece of music, this synth is endless
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybland View Post
A Truly beautiful piece of music, this synth is endless
Thanks mate. You've lifted my spirits.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsHead View Post
Just an ambient loop with all synth sounds coming from the Wavestate.
No work, no money for a few weeks, so.........

Stay Safe !

Absolutely amazing... care to tell us how you made these patches?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Thanks
I just used factory presets and built it up on a Boss RC1 looper. Added some background speech from a podcast and children, nature loops from YouTube.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Great job, thanks.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Wavestate.
Drums are a loop I found on YouTube.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search