The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New korg wavestate...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Think of it like a way for the synth to "drone" or "loop" while you tweak or play other synths. It can be pretty unwieldy to use a sustain pedal for this at times.
Yep, i was just about to write that. Try reach for another synth while holding sustain pedal down.... ouch

From the video suggested i saw the ability to use hold on Program Setup page. This might do the trick

Looking forward to see how Wavestate syncs with my setup which currently is:

A 61 key MIDI Controller, lower keys control 8 Arps/Bass/Pads synths, upper keys control 4 lead synths.

MC-707 Provide drums and MIDI Clock.

Everything is played manually except drum pattern.

Bass pattern is generated by an advanced Arpeggio in MicroMonsta which follows the chords i play. The rest is just pads and arps using hold/latch while i jam on the leads and left hand takes care of fades, cutoff or whatever is needed.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Think of it like a way for the synth to "drone" or "loop" while you tweak or play other synths. It can be pretty unwieldy to use a sustain pedal for this at times.
Use a latching pedal?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I haven’t got a chance to read through the manual yet but is it possible to have a wave sequence free run on this?

Other than resonant filter, I always wanted the wavestation robot retrigger the sequence on every key press so it’s more like an oscillator. Just wondering if the sequences here are also retriggered in each key press.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mungbeans View Post
They obviously get sent synths though for review, if they get to keep them afterwards (which they probably do) then that's a kind of payment.
They don’t get to keep them, but sometimes they can buy the review unit for a cheaper price.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
They don’t get to keep them.
Don't be so sure about that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
AND sometimes they can buy the review unit for a cheaper price.
ftfy.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried fingers View Post
Thanks Dan!

You make several valid points.

Just wanted to share another perspective and really do appreciate reading yours!

I personally prefer metal construction where the encoders and pots are mounted to the chassis with hex nuts. They are both easier to repair and more reliable vs PCB mounted plastic pots where all the stresses are on the solder joints. The metal enclosed units typically weigh enough that they don’t move very easily in use. Heavier, solid feeling metal also give an impression that it is a professional and expensive item - that is of course only my subjective opinion.

Build quality and plastic vs. metal - yes it really does depend on the actual plastic vs. metal as there are some really great engineered polymers available. As to durability, the MicroKorg seems very durable (surprisingly so in my experience) and yet it just doesn’t exude high quality because of the light weight plastic toy feel and the minikeys that are too spongey (sorry for being critical of Korg). Please compare it to a reface unit strictly on physical feel alone and I think you will appreciate it.

Although $800 is not a lot of money, It is enough that I am comparing it to my Peak, Blofeld Keys, Sub37 etc. and am expecting an instrument that offers a similar tactile experience.

As far as keys go, I’d much rather have the best synth action you make and pay more or just have a module. If it is a pro instrument the action is the last thing that should be compromised.

I will definitely look for the wavestate and check it out when it arrives locally as hopefully the action feels great. I am sure Korg will have great success with it!

Thanks again for all of the info you have kindly shared with us. My apologies if the above seems overly critical

Cheers!
It's what I find annoying. Compromised keys and no module option.

Either give it awesome keys, or make a module.

Always, IMO. Leaving users w sh!t keys and no module option sucks, and MS20 keys are crap.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
The Hold function works as if the sustain pedal were pressed down.

Engage Hold, play a chord, and it sustains after you let go.

Play another chord, and you get a mess.. because the first chord is still sustaining.

I think they are looking for a feature that holds a chord indefinitely, but once you play a new chord, it erases the old one and only sustains the new.

Not many synths have that type of Hold.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
It's what I find annoying. Compromised keys and no module option.

Either give it awesome keys, or make a module.

Always, IMO. Leaving users w sh!t keys and no module option sucks, and MS20 keys are crap.
Totally agree, but just glad to have a WaveState.
I’m hacking off the keys, even have a case.
I use a Physis K4, have a mic stand w/ VESA adapter for my PC’s USB powered monitor, will use a Manhassett Stand and face the hacked unit / turned module towards me, and automate it via MIDI.
Why wait for the future when you can have it now.
My Old OBX had a better keybed.

I’ve already got a case.
23.8 x 7 x 4
It’s for an MP5 tactical weapon, but perfect fit.
WalWart extension too. I want those out of sight, most embarrassing.

Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
The Hold function works as if the sustain pedal were pressed down.

Engage Hold, play a chord, and it sustains after you let go.

Play another chord, and you get a mess.. because the first chord is still sustaining.

I think they are looking for a feature that holds a chord indefinitely, but once you play a new chord, it erases the old one and only sustains the new.

Not many synths have that type of Hold.
Correct, its that type of hold i'm looking for.

Hardware synths like Nord Lead 4, Nord Lead A1, Nord Stage 3, Nord Wave 2, MicroMonsta have it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkastrup View Post
Correct, its that type of hold i'm looking for.

Hardware synths like Nord Lead 4, Nord Lead A1, Nord Stage 3, Nord Wave 2, MicroMonsta have it.
I assume the Nord Stage 2 has it as well? I'll have to explore this tomorrow, I didn't realize that.

Why would the Nords have this feature? I was guessing that it's mostly grooveboxes that have this feature.

EDIT: the NS2 manual describes the Arp Hold button, and it sounds like a standard arp latch button. Couldn't find mention of chord holds with a button.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
I assume the Nord Stage 2 has it as well? I'll have to explore this tomorrow, I didn't realize that.

Why would the Nords have this feature? I was guessing that it's mostly grooveboxes that have this feature.

EDIT: the NS2 manual describes the Arp Hold button, and it sounds like a standard arp latch button. Couldn't find mention of chord holds with a button.
I'm guessing the Hold idea came from arranger keyboards where you have your left hand free to push buttoms and tweak.

These days more and more people have huge hardware setups on their desk and any free hand you can have for tweaking is a super bonus.

Most people dont have the free hand problem because they just have a sequencer control everything. I dont want to be a slave to a sequencer, i want the freedom to play any chord whenever i feel like it and have all my synths react to that. This is made possible by the Hold function.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Sonicstate just posted a video showing that the brain of the Wavestae is in fact a Raspberry Pi.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=168415567941175
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.anti.matter View Post
Sonicstate just posted a video showing that the brain of the Wavestae is in fact a Raspberry Pi.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=168415567941175
Wow there's nothing inside just a £30 raspberry pie.. How can korg justify the price there charging if behringer made this it'd be under £200.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
Wow there's nothing inside just a £30 raspberry pie.. How can korg justify the price there charging if behringer made this it'd be under £200.

Does the Pi come with all the wave state software already installed then?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

So can someone take the wavestate OS, install it onto a spare Pi and DIY the rest? Guessing this would be a breach of EULA but just wondering if it would be possible in theory..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
The software development can be costly, even on a Pi. I'd wager the majority of the costs involved were centered around this.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
So can someone take the wavestate OS, install it onto a spare Pi and DIY the rest? Guessing this would be a breach of EULA but just wondering if it would be possible in theory..
In theory yes, in practice parts and labour (even at minimum wage) would far out strip the Wavestate's price.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.anti.matter View Post
The software development can be costly, even on a Pi. I'd wager the majority of the costs involved were centered around this.
There’s also R&D, hardware design, tooling, production line design, manufacturing, packaging, warehouse storage of parts and completed items, shipping, profit for Korg, profit for distributors and dealers, writing manuals, publicity (ads, trade shows, getting stuff to reviewers, paying Dan’s wages) support, and lots of other costs that have to be paid out of the retail price of any consumer item.

Last edited by Weedlekin; 5 days ago at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm not seeing "nothing but a Pi" inside. I'm seeing a big custom PCB with audio stuff on it, the control surface with a bunch of knobs and two screens, etc. Not to mention the case. Those were always the most expensive parts of a digital synth, always. It's not like the DSP chips in a Virus or whatever were ever particularly expensive (and a Virus cost what, two, three times what this does?) . The Pi does provide some nice simplification of the digital brain of it, but the rest of it is most certainly not "nothing"... and that's before you even get to the software.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

it's the software (firmware) that's taking up the biggest chunk of resources and time. Ask Ulli
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Dont try to justify the arrogant money grab yhat is this synth ,its 2020 and the game has changed imo.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedlekin View Post
There’s also R&D, hardware design, tooling, production line design, manufacturing, packaging, warehouse storage of parts and completed items, shipping, profit for Korg, profit for distributors and dealers, writing manuals, publicity (ads, trade shows, getting stuff to reviewers, paying Dan’s wages) support, and lots of other costs that have to be paid out of the retail price of any consumer item.
Indeed, but since I work for a commercial electronics manufacturer myself(nothing related to musical instruments however) I can say in good faith that those costs are minor compared to development.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I also work for a (smallish) company that make and sell electronics, and I'd disagree with that. I suppose the size ratio of engineering to sales, marketing and support teams varies a lot between businesses, though.

It's probably correct that Behringer could manufacture this thing cheaper than Korg, though, they have been working very hard for three decades to set themselves up to be exactly that. That doesn't mean that Korg's profit margins here justify calling this "a money grab", that's absurd IMO. It's obviously a great synth and the price is good. It's true that the market has changed, though, ten years ago this would've had a marginally better keybed and been three times the price.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
I'm not seeing "nothing but a Pi" inside. I'm seeing a big custom PCB with audio stuff on it, the control surface with a bunch of knobs and two screens,
Looks like the big board is predominantly just the connectors and analogue outputs..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post
Looks like the big board is predominantly just the connectors and analogue outputs..
"Just". We should have something like a swear jar for that word

I'm seeing a DAC and audio ports plus supporting circuitry. MIDI ports, and I'm seeing an STM32 or similar that I'm guessing handles the front panel based on it's location, plus of course a power supply.

It's maybe not rocket surgery but it's definitely not nothing.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I’ll wait until I can grab one of these for $500, and get the Sequential PRO3 right now. Despite costing more, the PRO3 seems like more value for the $.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
I’ll wait until I can grab one of these for $500, and get the Sequential PRO3 right now. Despite costing more, the PRO3 seems like more value for the $.
That’s a weird comparison. It’s like saying orange juice is more value for the money than milk.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s a weird comparison. It’s like saying orange juice is more value for the money than milk.
What I meant is that I’d eventually like to have both. But since a lot of costs for the Wavestate seem to be R&D related, there’s a better chance the price for it will drop once R&D is recouped through sales.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

New YT Demo -

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
What I meant is that I’d eventually like to have both. But since a lot of costs for the Wavestate seem to be R&D related, there’s a better chance the price for it will drop once R&D is recouped through sales.
Ah, true. It’ll definitely come down some after the honeymoon period.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search