The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klark Teknik 3RD DIMENSION BBD-320
Old 3rd July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthbuilder View Post
Sadly, modulation speed and depth can't be calibrated. So any changes that need to be done will involve component value changes. This is one of the things I'd like to have a look at. I remember thinking that the CC300 was a little too lively compared with the Dim-C too.

The BBD-320 uses a different high frequency VCO circuit (that drives the BBDs) to the SDD-320 so there will no doubt be differences between the two units. KT will have tried to mimic the original with their design but how close they got I don't know yet.
Excellent information. At this price it's definitely worth modding, but do like the sound of this unit so would probably go for a modded and one as is.
Old 3rd July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextuor View Post
So it is much better than the June-60?
As in its not anywhere near the same target market, effect, design, size, I/o etc then yeah it is much better than the 60.
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

the two definitely sound different, but so will two vintage units, depending on their age and maintainance.
and while the BBD320 is a tad brighter, the main difference IMHO is in the lower register. listen closely to what's happening to the bass. the Dim D is quite fat in comparison.

aside from that, i really like the Klark BBD320 and will keep it, especially for that price.
it looks and feels good, build quality is not as heavy as the Dim D but definitely solid.
it doesn't look like a 1:1 clone, though. Everything is a little bit different, from the buttons and switches to the meter, the printings etc.
the real improvement is the smaller form factor. the rather huge top lid of the Dim D is prone to resonating at higher listening levels in my control room, the BBD320 isn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Klark Teknik    3RD DIMENSION BBD-320-f2b131bc-1d52-4448-9f1f-501e24e9febb.jpg  
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
my vintage Dim D has not been recapped.
it was freshly calibrated when i bought it, though.
that was about five years ago.
You might want to consider testing it again.

I am 90% sure that my own DimD needs recapping because I heard the same thing in mine - slight loss of detail and softer transients that slowly but steadily worsened in the last year.
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Nut

Got mine today. Only tried it with guitar in mono which was very underwhelming. Gonna hook it up stereo later. Only now noticed it has a Remote input which makes me want to incorporate it into my guitar rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextuor View Post
So it is much better than the June-60?
I have both. Very different from each other.
Old 4th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
mine came in today

here are two short samples to check it out vs. my Dimension D.
excuse the choice of sounds for the quick little demo.
levels are not perfectly matched, especially between the wet/dry files, which is impossible due to the nature of the effect.

cheers
Ok, great that you have both.
Can you do a test with a sustaing sound so you can actually hear the chorus effect better? Like a static syntpad.
Old 5th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisca View Post
Got mine today. Only tried it with guitar in mono which was very underwhelming. Gonna hook it up stereo later. Only now noticed it has a Remote input which makes me want to incorporate it into my guitar rig.

I have both. Very different from each other.
I don’t think the Dimension-D is meant as a guitar effect, at least not a primary one. It’s not supposed to add chorus, just a nice stereo character.
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Maniac
Run it through some vox yet?
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Head

would be nice to have a look inside the klark teknik unit, someone able to post some pics? :D
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I just received my BBD-320 from Thomann and I made a short MP3 demo of it using mode 4. It's just a simple Virus TI pad running through BBD-320. I also attached a picture of the unit with the top lid removed.

BBD-320 seems to be well built and it sounds great with everything I run through it, that's all I can say about it. Only downside with it is that now I probably want to start using it for almost everything :D
Attached Thumbnails
Klark Teknik    3RD DIMENSION BBD-320-bbd320-inside.jpg  
Attached Files

MIK Virus Pad - 1 DRY - 2 BBD320.mp3 (1.88 MB, 2207 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik303 View Post
I just received my BBD-320 from Thomann and I made a short MP3 demo of it using mode 4. It's just a simple Virus TI pad running through BBD-320. I also attached a picture of the unit with the top lid removed.

BBD-320 seems to be well built and it sounds great with everything I run through it, that's all I canther say about it. Only downside with it is that now I probably want to start using it for almost everything :D

sounds great, i also love that there is room for a small homeless person or a family of sims inside
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Call me when they make stomp box size unit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
sounds great, i also love that there is room for a small homeless person or a family of sims inside
It reminds me of the old “audiophile” gear where it’d be huge empty cases and lead plates hotglued into the interior to make it feel of substance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

People still, in 2020, sell plastic flashlights that have weights in them to feel more substantial, sometimes they're even bits of concrete because it's cheaper than lead.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

BBD-320 seems to be well built and it sounds great with everything I run through it, that's all I can say about it. Only downside with it is that now I probably want to start using it for almost everything :D
interesting interior, what is missing from in a dimension d ? seems to be a lot more components.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
It reminds me of the old “audiophile” gear where it’d be huge empty cases and lead plates hotglued into the interior to make it feel of substance.
that is so funny - imagine which bright spark came up with that idea

i know we are all different but personally i care not about weight - if the sound is heavy that is enough for me
Old 4 weeks ago
Its like when you cut charlie with baby teething powder and because it nips their nose they think its some good schitt 😳

Hang on, no it isnt!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
I don’t think the Dimension-D is meant as a guitar effect, at least not a primary one. It’s not supposed to add chorus, just a nice stereo character.
Yeah. Tried it stereo with guitar and while it is better than mono it's too bulky for what it does for guitar compared to a pedal. The Dimension setting on my Boss MD-500 does way more and is less subtle.
Going in my synth setup next.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Not too bothered about the aesthetics, it just sounds great on everything I've used it on. Needs some careful blending on some sounds - my old Crumar Multiman already sounds like it has a bit of an ensemble effect on the raw signal. Applying a touch of the BBD just opens it up beautifully.

As said before, definitely going to get another one for live use. Should also be able to fit my mini-vent in the empty space.
Old 4 weeks ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is beautiful. I need one. By the time I was going to place an order, it had gone out of stock...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Kind of funny how this box is getting so much hype when BOSS have had a Dimension D pedal that does the original plus new sounds in a compact pedal since a while. Ok XLR ins but personally I prefer a pedal than a rack mount.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
Kind of funny how this box is getting so much hype when BOSS have had a Dimension D pedal that does the original plus new sounds in a compact pedal since a while. Ok XLR ins but personally I prefer a pedal than a rack mount.
yeah but its very easy to clip so you need to bring the signal back up after the outputs which isnt ideal

I have it but I'll be buying the KT's too
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, and you can't store yer weed in a pedal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
This is beautiful. I need one. By the time I was going to place an order, it had gone out of stock...
Thank you :D I can imagine these sold out quickly because the price is good.
I definitely knew that I was taking a risk when I ordered my BBD-320 but I wanted to get my hands on it ASAP. Lack of audio demos couldn't stop my GAS. My biggest source of hesitation was ironically TC's just previously released chorus product, June-60. That thing was such a huge disappointment for me and I thought that the same thing could happen with KT's clone too. The only thing I still miss from Juno's I've sold is their chorus (and maybe Alpha Juno's very special sounding saw pwm. Anyways, June-60 would have been a no brainer purchase for me if it just did what it was supposed to do. Maybe I buy it some day if someone makes a mod for it that takes it closer to original Juno chorus. I guess in the end my positive experience with Klark's Pultec clones lead me to take a leap of faith with their DD clone and I am happy that I did.

To me owning a BBD-320 fills the void of not having a UAD Dimension D plugin anymore. While I own Behringer's cheap CC-300 pedal, it has some downsides like not having a stereo input and it also happens to suffer from low headroom. It really sounds very ugly when it runs out of headroom. It's not like it's going to add some nice THD, but it's starts crackling and popping. I had some doubts that BBD-320 would also suffer from low headroom and I was relieved to find out that it was not the case. I've thrown it max output signals from Virus and Analog keys and it has handled everything without problems.

Now I wish that there would be a clone of TC1210 and maybe something similar to Elkorus V3, and of course SVC-350.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I got mine on Friday. So far I've just used it with guitar in the loop of my Fractal modeler. I think it sounds great. It's the kind of chorus that doesn't get in the way of the fundamental tone like a lot of chorus's do. I definitely plan on trying it with more stuff when time permits. I also want to do some comparisons with the Boss Waza Dimension C in the SDD-320 mode and the Fractal Dimension simulation.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
Cool pedal, assuming you mean the DC-2W, but sounds nothing like a Dimension D at least to my ears.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisca View Post
Yeah. Tried it stereo with guitar and while it is better than mono it's too bulky for what it does for guitar compared to a pedal. The Dimension setting on my Boss MD-500 does way more and is less subtle.
Going in my synth setup next.
Except you hear it all over guitar tracks in 80’s hits. There were also guitarists that had them in their racks. Plenty of them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here's what the real deal sounds like (not my vid):
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Cool pedal, assuming you mean the DC-2W, but sounds nothing like a Dimension D at least to my ears.
Yes, DC-2W. I’ve never owned a Dimension D but only had the UAD plug-in (have owned other Roland analog chorus FX though, e.g. Juno-6, RE-501). I quite like the sound of the DC-2W and have it permanently wired into my SH-01A - gives it a very nice shimmery chorus. I never really could discern a tremendous difference between the 4 modes of the Dimension effect TBH. I’m very curious to hear some comparisons between the BBD-320 and DC-2W though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I had both Waza DC-2Wc and Boss MD-500 at the same time.

MD-500 stayed here, just because it's "Dimention D" is so much flexible for the studio work: width, dry/wet, etc...
Really wonder how "Dimention D" of MD-500 does it compare to KlarkTechnik.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear