The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg to release full sized ARP 2600
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by introvert View Post
The problem is I didn’t know this was how the game is played. In ~20 years I’ve never had a problem buying a piece of gear I wanted. This is a first for me. So I get it, lesson learned, it’s just frustrating as hell.

If it doesn’t work out I’ll be grumpy, my buying behaviors will change a bit, and I’ll get a TTSH.
Get an ANTONUS.
If I hadn’t had my Karp, that’s what I would have taken.
Now, the TTSH might also bring more advanced options while the Karp and ANTONUS stick to the original specs which are more limited... but still offer many sonic exploration possibilities.

In the end those are just machines, instruments.
Of course they have an inspiration factor that can motivate you to play/create more, but in the end the real juice is in in you.

Cheers
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw View Post
Get an ANTONUS.
Now, the TTSH might also bring more advanced options while the Karp and ANTONUS stick to the original specs which are more limited... but still offer many sonic exploration possibilities.

Of course they have an inspiration factor that can motivate you to play/create more, but in the end the real juice is in in you.

Cheers
Agree with the Antonus (and also the sequencer), if my Karp doesn't show which is currenty scheduled for delivery to dealer May 30, this is what I will go for.
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw View Post
Get an ANTONUS.

Cheers
You will get ANTONUS 2600 and ANTONUS step brother sequencer for roughly the same price as KARP 2600 list USD$3899 vs Euro 3820 ANTONUS bundle.

Last edited by d2ba; 2nd May 2020 at 06:15 AM..
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear
why not wait for the Behringer one and save a pile of cash, i think it is near ready now
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirix View Post
why not wait for the Behringer one and save a pile of cash, i think it is near ready now
Cos it's nothing like the Arp 2600..plus I personally can't stand that company, I wouldn't buy a plectrum from them.
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Cos it's nothing like the Arp 2600..plus I personally can't stand that company, I wouldn't buy a plectrum from them.
I agree with you .. only the arp has not been manufactured for a long time.
one is currently being offered here in the country, 8.5k
Old 1st May 2020
DGL
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post

Fast forward to today, and you'll see Sweetwater is not only the biggest retailer in the U.S. but probably biggest globally considering that they outgrew their warehouse and just opened their new $52.5 Million, 7 Acre, 480,000 square foot warehouse this past February. That's Amazon levels of space!
OT but,
From what they say on their website Thomann are currently the biggest MI retailer in the world, not surprising given that their shipping to anywhere in Europe is cheap so a lot of people will shop there rather than using a company in their country, they will literally ship anywhere so good if they are the first to get a product in, plus they have one of biggest ranges of stuff anywhere.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/compinfo_history.html
https://www.thomannmusic.com/helpdesk_warehouse.html
https://www.brandeins.de/magazine/br...acht-die-musik
Old 1st May 2020
Gear Addict

I'll check out the Antonus as well, thanks for the recs everyone.
Old 1st May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGL View Post
OT but,
From what they say on their website Thomann are currently the biggest MI retailer in the world, not surprising given that their shipping to anywhere in Europe is cheap so a lot of people will shop there rather than using a company in their country, they will literally ship anywhere so good if they are the first to get a product in, plus they have one of biggest ranges of stuff anywhere.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/compinfo_history.html
https://www.thomannmusic.com/helpdesk_warehouse.html
https://www.brandeins.de/magazine/br...acht-die-musik
Yeah, you completely missed my point... I was specifically responding to the guy grumbling about his mom-n-pop shop in Austin Texas not getting his ARP 2600 in and him wondering why a bigger retailer (like Sweetwater) would get priority from Korg.
Old 1st May 2020
DGL
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yeah, you completely missed my point... I was specifically responding to the guy grumbling about his mom-n-pop shop in Austin Texas not getting his ARP 2600 in and him wondering why a bigger retailer (like Sweetwater) would get priority from Korg.
Yes I got your point, just getting a bit nerdy about who is the biggest
I will say an interesting thing about Thomann is they have no debt and own everything in their warehouse outright.
Old 1st May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
And to be fair, I wasn't grumbling about a mom and pop shop in Austin. The vendor I normally deal with is a pretty big one based in LA. They're just not as big as Sweetwater

Either way, the Antonus and TTSH look like cool options.

I'm not willing to buy Behringer. I've seen too much of their gear fail over the years in studios I've worked in and/or managed. I want my purchase to last more than three years.
Old 1st May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by introvert View Post
And to be fair, I wasn't grumbling about a mom and pop shop in Austin. The vendor I normally deal with is a pretty big one based in LA. They're just not as big as Sweetwater

Either way, the Antonus and TTSH look like cool options.

I'm not willing to buy Behringer. I've seen too much of their gear fail over the years in studios I've worked in and/or managed. I want my purchase to last more than three years.
Sorry for the assumption, but yeah like I said, it's hard to compete with a behemoth like Sweetwater. Even Guitar Center is having a hard time (though that happened when Bain Capital bought them out to purposely drive them into the ground... which is why they have been closing stores ever since with a billion dollars in debt.)

I don't know which L.A. shop you are speaking of, but shops like Perfect Circuit, Analog Haven, and Noisebug are all considered mom-n-pop shops (though Perfect Circuit is growing pretty fast.) It's been a while though since I lived in L.A., so things could have changed quite drastically (I remember when Analog Haven was originally in Pomona and then the owners had the split where one owner kept the location but had to change their name to Noisebug and Analog Haven moved to Santa Monica but kept their name.)

Anyway, my original point is, hope you do get yours from whomever you ordered from, but you really can't blame Korg like so many people are doing here... they are a for-profit business, and they have to take care of their biggest clients first like Sweetwater, and a Global Pandemic doesn't help things with shipping/distribution. Perspective people.
Old 2nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Well I hope it was worth it for Korg, this woefully inadequate hardware run has lost them quite
a few customers I expect.
Old 2nd May 2020
Lives for gear
Another option would be the CMS 2607. It's more expensive, but appears to be made with absolute top quality components. They also offer Eurorack modules as well.

https://www.discretesynthesizers.com/dsc/2607.htm
Old 3rd May 2020
Gear Nut
discretesynthesizers.com offers 2500 not 2600 ,nO?
Old 3rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by husak View Post
discretesynthesizers.com offers 2500 not 2600 ,nO?
its an mix.. the best from both.
Old 3rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 View Post
Another option would be the CMS 2607. It's more expensive, but appears to be made with absolute top quality components. They also offer Eurorack modules as well.

https://www.discretesynthesizers.com/dsc/2607.htm
8 grand, and he mainly only sells to famous people. If you're a nobody good luck getting one.
Old 3rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
8 grand, and he mainly only sells to famous people. If you're a nobody good luck getting one.
where did you get this theory from famous people?
do you mean "We are currently making the handmade version for some select customers. "`
and yes of course 8k is a lot but there is a handmade tht synth with really good sound and no utopia.

Sync switch that syncs VCO-1 to VCO-3.

VCO3 has all 4 waveforms!!!

Uses the discrete wave-shapers from the 2500 - they sound much better and produce better shaped waveforms.

Both VCO-2 and VCO-3 actually produce a sine wave, not a rounded triangle like on the 2600.

PWM on all 3 VCOs.

The famous CMS 4012 CX filter comes standard issue. Better sounding but true to the original design of the early 2600 filter.

The filter has 2 modes: CMS and ARP. The ARP mode maintains the original factory 4012 circuit. The CMS mode features the CMS 9004 dual mode filter.

The VCF has an additional High pass / Pseudo-notch out depending on the mode switch setting.

Improved AR generator circuit.

3 position time range selectors on both envelope generators.

sounds similar to another soon available product
Old 3rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
where did you get this theory from famous people?
do you mean "We are currently making the handmade version for some select customers. "`
and yes of course 8k is a lot but there is a handmade tht synth with really good sound and no utopia.

Sync switch that syncs VCO-1 to VCO-3.

VCO3 has all 4 waveforms!!!

Uses the discrete wave-shapers from the 2500 - they sound much better and produce better shaped waveforms.

Both VCO-2 and VCO-3 actually produce a sine wave, not a rounded triangle like on the 2600.

PWM on all 3 VCOs.

The famous CMS 4012 CX filter comes standard issue. Better sounding but true to the original design of the early 2600 filter.

The filter has 2 modes: CMS and ARP. The ARP mode maintains the original factory 4012 circuit. The CMS mode features the CMS 9004 dual mode filter.

The VCF has an additional High pass / Pseudo-notch out depending on the mode switch setting.

Improved AR generator circuit.

3 position time range selectors on both envelope generators.

sounds similar to another soon available product
By select customers, he means anyone who has 7k.
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Addict

Well, I’m feeling very fortunate to report that the vendor came through. They managed to track one down, and it arrived two days ago. I wish there had been enough of these things to go around though :(
Old 18th June 2020
Here for the gear

I started my Arp today and heard some static noise with crackling . I switched between filters as you can hear in recording "1" and it disappeared. Filter 2 does seem ok. I switch between them and testing the different oscillators. After like 10 Minutes Filter 1 also became kinda normal again. It still has a tiny bit more background noise but i kinda guess thats "normal"??! Recording "2" is me switching between filters after it went back to normal. Im a bit worried.

https://soundcloud.com/aaaron/sets/a.../s-CHczOmkwLfL
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

Can anyone point me to the in-depth technical comparison that someone make of the new K2600? Can't remember where it was posted.
Old 19th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Looks like this thread has finally died off, so this will be my last post here...

Hey nice videos!

I just got my ARP 2600.

How do you sync its arpeggio/seq with external tempo?

I see that MIDI is not capable for this. CV maybe?

Any suggestions?
Old 19th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by recsa View Post
Hey nice videos!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recsa View Post
I just got my ARP 2600.

How do you sync its arpeggio/seq with external tempo?

I see that MIDI is not capable for this. CV maybe?

Any suggestions?
The same way we did it back in the 1970s, just by feel. Even with most of my MIDI-capable hardware synths, I usually just use tap tempo (either on the synth if it has it, or in my DAW.)

In this video though, I did have the Make Noise Mimeophon delay sync'd to the ARP 2600 by using the ARP's Square Wave LFO Out to the Mimeophon's Sync In; so the delay's divisions are in sync with the ARP's sequence.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!

The same way we did it back in the 1970s, just by feel. Even with most of my MIDI-capable hardware synths, I usually just use tap tempo (either on the synth if it has it, or in my DAW.)

In this video though, I did have the Make Noise Mimeophon delay sync'd to the ARP 2600 by using the ARP's Square Wave LFO Out to the Mimeophon's Sync In; so the delay's divisions are in sync with the ARP's sequence.
i think retriggering in short intervals is the best solution.
the longer the arp runs the more imprecise .. no matter what your feelings tell you.
a technique that was already used in the 70s.
Old 19th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
i think retriggering in short intervals is the best solution.
the longer the arp runs the more imprecise .. no matter what your feelings tell you.
a technique that was already used in the 70s.
Not everything has to be perfectly precise all the time; you wind up losing that human feel. Either way though, I've never had an issue in my 42 years of playing and programming synths. Just play!
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not everything has to be perfectly precise all the time; you wind up losing that human feel. Either way though, I've never had an issue in my 42 years of playing and programming synths. Just play!
I like to believe you, but the question is probably "how can I run the synth like an ms101 in synced hold mode" there you have to do a little trick, there is no other way. unless you use an external arpeggiator, which is recommended for techno anyway.

too bad that the keyboard has no midi out, it would make it easy to put a hardware arp in between.
using the upper cv gate is suboptimal. you would have to mod .. tapping signals from the 8pin port
Old 19th July 2020
Here for the gear

wondering if anyone has noticed that the pre-patched inputs to the filter are much louder than patched inputs. i.e. if I patch the vco 1 saw into the vco 1 input on the filter, the loudness drops dramatically. similarly, i have to scale down pre-patched vco 2's pulse wave or it just overtakes vco 1.
Old 19th July 2020
Here for the gear

turns out it was just a bad cable, much to my relief
📝 Reply