The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg to release full sized ARP 2600
Old 1 week ago
  #3241
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesnob View Post
Have Korg actually officially stated this anywhere or are we going based off that one NAMM video posted a couple dozen pages ago where the dude said it? I very seriously doubt it's mostly through hole.
if it were, then korg would advertise it, show detailed pictures of the interior, etc.
Old 1 week ago
  #3242
Lives for gear
It will surely be as per their Odyssey rework?
Attached Thumbnails
Korg to release full sized ARP 2600-b3e1dc60-a5f0-4155-b5bc-96edc31e6b16.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #3243
I think it is unlikely to be through hole because we are talking about Korg here, not Moog. Korg could have pulled a Moog-like reissue, but it's just not what we would expect from them. If they did, you would think it would have been highlighted at the release, just as Moog does with their reissues. In the end, it doesn't mater too much as long as it sounds like a 2600. And yes, there will always be some way to service SMD down the road. SMD electrolytic capacitors are pretty easy to replace, and those are one of the more common components that needs replaced over time. I would bet most of the components are probably not too difficult for an experienced tech. I can't imagine the synth board being all too complex unless they decided to fit it all onto a really small PCB which would not make any sense. ^I mean look at that Odyssey board and how much empty space is on it.
Old 1 week ago
  #3244
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
Get a stereo microscope and the good times can return

.
y'know, I hadn't though of that. If may hands are still steady enough to work on that scale, that might work.
Old 1 week ago
  #3245
Here for the gear
 
calvin nix's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
y'know, I hadn't though of that. If may hands are still steady enough to work on that scale, that might work.
These are quite nice devices to have on your workbench. Decent quality scopes can apparently be had for reasonable prices and sometimes have a camera option available. I don't have one yet, but I have seen them and one is likely on a short list of future purchases as the jewelers hood magnifiers give me a headache.
Old 6 days ago
  #3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin nix View Post
These are quite nice devices to have on your workbench. Decent quality scopes can apparently be had for reasonable prices and sometimes have a camera option available. I don't have one yet, but I have seen them and one is likely on a short list of future purchases as the jewelers hood magnifiers give me a headache.
I use a relatively inexpensive amscope tri-noc with a camera attached. I've found I use the camera (output to a monitor) much more than the normal eyepieces.

If you want one with more room under it, like a mantis scope, it gets expensive really quickly.

Pete
Old 6 days ago
  #3247
Lives for gear
 
Space Station's Avatar
I tend to play my keyboards rather than look at the components under microscopes
Old 6 days ago
  #3248
Here for the gear
 
calvin nix's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
I use a relatively inexpensive amscope tri-noc with a camera attached. I've found I use the camera (output to a monitor) much more than the normal eyepieces.

If you want one with more room under it, like a mantis scope, it gets expensive really quickly.

Pete
Yes, I believe the amscope is one I was more or less referring to. Mantis scopes are nice, but like you said can be very expensive. Dave Jones uses one in his lab and they seem quite nice.
Old 6 days ago
  #3249
Here for the gear
 
calvin nix's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
I tend to play my keyboards rather than look at the components under microscopes
We all do, until they break.
Old 6 days ago
  #3250
Gear Nut
 

has anyone opened it up yet?? I want to know what's under the hood!
Old 6 days ago
  #3251
I heard the sound engiine is running on a modified Apple 2gs.
Old 5 days ago
  #3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
I tend to play my keyboards rather than look at the components under microscopes
I've bought many of my synths at a deep discount, because they were "for parts or not working". Right now, I have a Moog Taurus on my bench that I am doing a full rebuild of.

I've also built a lot of kits, mods, and more

There are many enjoyable aspects of this hobby.

Pete
Old 5 days ago
  #3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkinsnikwah View Post
has anyone opened it up yet?? I want to know what's under the hood!
My bet is that it looks a lot like the MS-20 and Odyssey: through-hole knobs, switches, and sliders, bunch of SMD components for the rest, and a separate board for power and MIDI.

Pete
Old 5 days ago
  #3254
Lives for gear
 
Space Station's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
I've bought many of my synths at a deep discount, because they were "for parts or not working". Right now, I have a Moog Taurus on my bench that I am doing a full rebuild of.

I've also built a lot of kits, mods, and more

There are many enjoyable aspects of this hobby.

Pete
That's great that you have an electronics hobby you enjoy..but I would never have enough time to make records if I was studying the design and interiors of my instruments.

Hence why I sold my old unreliable Arp 2600.. and didn't hesitate to order a brand new one with a 3 year warranty.
Old 5 days ago
  #3255
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
That's great that you have an electronics hobby you enjoy..but I would never have enough time to make records if I was studying the design and interiors of my instruments.

Hence why I sold my old unreliable Arp 2600.. and didn't hesitate to order a brand new one with a 3 year warranty.
And you probably made some money too.
Old 5 days ago
  #3256
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
That's great that you have an electronics hobby you enjoy..but I would never have enough time to make records if I was studying the design and interiors of my instruments.

Hence why I sold my old unreliable Arp 2600.. and didn't hesitate to order a brand new one with a 3 year warranty.
Yea, there seems to be a big gulf on this board between people who use gear with the goal of actually making music, and those who view gear as an interesting technical project or prefer to debate the technical aspects of the tool.

It's like the difference between viewing a hammer as a means to build a house, and those who would prefer to debate the the features of the hammer itself - how smooth, heavy, long it is, is it made of steel or not, how much does it weigh etc etc.
Old 5 days ago
  #3257
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
Yea, there seems to be a big gulf on this board between people who use gear with the goal of actually making music, and those who view gear as an interesting technical project or prefer to debate the technical aspects of the tool.

It's like the difference between viewing a hammer as a means to build a house, and those who would prefer to debate the the features of the hammer itself - how smooth, heavy, long it is, is it made of steel or not, how much does it weigh etc etc.

Sometimes it seems the opposite to me: that people who are intensely musical are often the ones arguing that SMT construction or types of capacitors make an audible difference. There's a good racket going on selling "vintage tone capacitors" to guitarists at the moment.
Old 5 days ago
  #3258
Well the site is gearslutz and as the saying goes, "different strokes for different folks". The site would probably be pretty boring if it only consist of either snobby musicians or snobby geeks.
Old 4 days ago
  #3259
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
Yea, there seems to be a big gulf on this board between people who use gear with the goal of actually making music, and those who view gear as an interesting technical project or prefer to debate the technical aspects of the tool.

It's like the difference between viewing a hammer as a means to build a house, and those who would prefer to debate the the features of the hammer itself - how smooth, heavy, long it is, is it made of steel or not, how much does it weigh etc etc.
There are also those who do both.

FWIW, I have a similar relationship with software. I like to use it to make music, but I also like to build it.

These things are not mutually exclusive. Often, it helps as well, as you can easily detect the snake oil some manufacturers and individuals try to sell you on.

(I also do a lot of woodworking and carpentry, and own a number of hammers and saws of different weights and sizes :D -- any carpenter with experience will tell you they have a favorite type of hammer for each type of job)

Pete
Old 4 days ago
  #3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Well the site is gearslutz and as the saying goes, "different strokes for different folks". The site would probably be pretty boring if it only consist of either snobby musicians or snobby geeks.
It's actually the opposite. Musicians who just get on with making music and care less about 'thru the hole' or 'analog is better than digital' are the opposite of snobby.
These new product threads go on for pages with people arguing about this or that technical compromise.
Old 4 days ago
  #3261
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
There are also those who do both.
Right. Not ashamed to admit that my oscilloscope comes out more often than I press record. My interest in this stuff is just as academic as it is creative. Not sure why anyone feels a need to judge others besides a lack of confidence as to why they themselves own gear.

My family has owned and played nice instruments since we set foot in the USA between the 1700s and early 1900s. Nobody ever judged their ownership of instruments by their traveling opera schedule, Edison wax releases, vaudeville chops or appearances on Ed Sullivan.

My generation is the first to make output some sort of qualifier to owning instruments. It’s stupid.
Old 4 days ago
  #3262
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
It's actually the opposite. Musicians who just get on with making music and care less about 'thru the hole' or 'analog is better than digital' are the opposite of snobby.
These new product threads go on for pages with people arguing about this or that technical compromise.
what about the springreverb question, an important topic. what tank, medium small large
Old 4 days ago
  #3263
I’m not ‘going on about it’ for page after page, but yes, in my actual experience it is an important part of the 2600 and actually very musically useful.
I’ve written in this thread and the Behringer one - it is the flaws and compromises that make this synth iconic.
Clean it up, add a bunch of modern features etc and it’s not a replica 2600 - it’s a modern three oscillator, semi modular synth. Which is fine too by the way.
Just that people who’ve never touched an original 2600 keep claiming it’s irrelevant.
Old 4 days ago
  #3264
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
It's actually the opposite. Musicians who just get on with making music and care less about 'thru the hole' or 'analog is better than digital' are the opposite of snobby.
These new product threads go on for pages with people arguing about this or that technical compromise.
Agreed. Musicians with talent can pick up any instrument and are able make high quality music with it. They get on with it. All the snobby tech talk about thru yer hole, up yer hole, whether the gear isn't true to the original blah blah is often the doman of the non-musician technical enthusiasts.
Old 4 days ago
  #3265
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
Agreed. Musicians with talent can pick up any instrument and are able make high quality music with it. They get on with it. All the snobby tech talk about thru yer hole, up yer hole, whether the gear isn't true to the original blah blah is often the doman of the non-musician technical enthusiasts.
Though I agree that the talented will always pick something up and turn water into wine, I also know successful producers & players that will get tangled in the minutia of gear until they are blue in the face.

Not so much a mark of cork sniffing, it's just they know these tools inside and out from using them 15 hours a day. They care about this stuff.
Old 4 days ago
  #3266
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
Yea, there seems to be a big gulf on this board between people who use gear with the goal of actually making music, and those who view gear as an interesting technical project or prefer to debate the technical aspects of the tool.

It's like the difference between viewing a hammer as a means to build a house, and those who would prefer to debate the the features of the hammer itself - how smooth, heavy, long it is, is it made of steel or not, how much does it weigh etc etc.
Music is no different than many industries- meaning many participate in different ways - for instance I play basketball with a lot of competitive guys but no one thinks they are making the NBA any time soon - we play the game because we enjoy it and then we debate after who is the best Jordan or Lebron or the best shooter if all time etc. And again no one debates thinking they will be the next pro ESPN announcer. It’s funny when I hear people take the position on gearslutz of those that are simply making music for income or to sell, I understand there’s that lane too but it’s just one of many on how people enjoy the music experience. It’s really not much different than sports, movies or any number of things humnans enjoy.
Old 4 days ago
  #3267
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
Music is no different than many industries- meaning many participate in different ways - for instance I play basketball with a lot of competitive guys but no one thinks they are making the NBA any time soon - we play the game because we enjoy it and then we debate after who is the best Jordan or Lebron or the best shooter if all time etc. And again no one debates thinking they will be the next pro ESPN announcer. It’s funny when I hear people take the position on gearslutz of those that are simply making music for income or to sell, I understand there’s that lane too but it’s just one of many on how people enjoy the music experience. It’s really not much different than sports, movies or any number of things humnans enjoy.
So you're actually playing basketball, you're not sniffing the basketball, debating how round the basketball is. You're not sniffing the rim or backboard or postulating what materials it's made of.
Old 4 days ago
  #3268
Lives for gear
 
ImJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
So you're actually playing basketball, you're not sniffing the basketball, debating how round the basketball is. You're not sniffing the rim or backboard or postulating what materials it's made of.
When people are actually performing music they aren't interrupting themselves to discuss/argue about generally minor to insignificant technical details about the gear they use either. But before and after rehearsals and recording session, and sometimes during, they do. And I will bet that people interested in other activities, especially with very competitive things like sports, there is a lot of discussion, arguments, and scientific analysis/research for people looking to either be the best they can be, or more likely be better than everyone else.


This is a music gear discussion forum and none of us are making music while we are on here (shame on us! ) so . . . what are we supposed to do here? Just read manufacturer's announcements and never comment?
Old 4 days ago
  #3269
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
So you're actually playing basketball, you're not sniffing the basketball, debating how round the basketball is. You're not sniffing the rim or backboard or postulating what materials it's made of.
Yes you’re right I actually play but I will say there’s many that come around the gym and don’t play they just hang out and talk shop and they do talk a lot about the different feel of a WILSON basketball to say a splalding - or they collect basketball sneakers and don’t participate in the game as much as the discussions around the game. It’s not my thing like for that instance I have a friend that knows every stat about basketball- who’s on injuries u name it and never plays but they bet on the game. Not my thing but I understand how people can be so when I see it on gearslutz I just ignore comments that don’t peak my interest and engage with those that do-
I think trolling has been around as long as humans with the current differences being the internet gives trolls a wider forum.
Old 4 days ago
  #3270
Gear Head
 

The major issue here is we’re all anxiously filling the void until these ship. I’d like to think we wouldn’t be engaged in pointless discussions if any of us had actual 2600s to play with...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump