The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just bought a Jupiter 8, first thoughts.
Old 1 day ago
The real shocker, however, was getting the PPG 2.3. I never imagined a digital synth could sound that warm and physical. When I use it to imitate analog polysynths, it sounds just as warm and thick, without the analog sizzle and size in the mix, which is a nice variation. But the warmth, damn. Not sure how they did it, I'm guessing some of it was an accident, cause I used to own a microwave 1 rev a, and while a great synth, it didn't have this 3d organicness. Almost like a rhodes or a wurli, but a synth.

I never imagined that the warmest polysynth I'd ever play would be digital! Ok, maybe that's going a bit too far, but seriously, I've never heard anything like what comes out of a ppg. So warm and organic! I can't imagine its just the SSM filters, cause on the polysix and trident they are pretty cool, but nothing like this. Maybe it's the vca circuit, or the combo, who knows. If you look inside a ppg, there's soooo little there! I wonder if the Behringer clone that seems like it is in the pipe (based on guesses on the circuit board he teased) will be able to replicate that aspect, or the digital 'crunch'.

That's not to say it replaces an analog synth, by any means. Everything that comes out of it has its signature, and too much of that has a very particular sound. But what a sound.

I was figuring it could replace my prophet vs, but no go on that. The Prophet VS is wide and 3D and glassy and transparent in a way that I've never heard a digital synth be, and it also gets that low end crunch that it shares with the PPG. I wouldn't say that the PPG does the wide glassy depth thing the prophet VS does, nor that the prophet VS has any of the incredible warmth of the ppg. Neither replaces the other for what it does.

The jp8 is great, no ques, but I can totally see how one can be underwhelmed by it. The ppg, which I paid less for (8.5k usd), was on the otherhand, overwhelmingly good, far exceeded expectations. Desert island sorta thing. Granted, it's not a 'jack of all trades', and it needs analog synths around it to shine, and generally shoudn't take over a mix. So more limited application. But wow.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I agree with you on the JP8. I love mine more than ever. As for the Synthex, this demo did it for me! Wish I could get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
I must say I still haven't heard a memorymoog or synthex demo that really did much for me.

What I find the jp8 brings to the table though is that 12db filter (along side the immediacy of the interface), the source of tones that make it not just redundant to other synths. .... The Jp8 filter is balanced like the chroma, but softer and less dry, leading to a far more 'acoustic' sound (as some have described it) which is tonally quite unique. The Chroma's filter seems a little less tonally unique, but being dual, not to mention all the other modulations, the Chroma can go all sorts of other places.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
I agree with you on the JP8. I love mine more than ever. As for the Synthex, this demo did it for me! Wish I could get one.
The Black Corporation Xerxes does not do the dual mode or have the sequencer, but the sound is Definitely recommend you demo one when you can if you are interested in a synthex.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
The Black Corporation Xerxes does not do the dual mode or have the sequencer, but the sound is Definitely recommend you demo one when you can if you are interested in a synthex.
They (the guys at Black Corp) claim that the Xerxes can do 1:1 Synthex sound (monotimbral only). As far as I know, they never made that claim for their other vintage-inspired units. Maybe it's not just marketing. The Xerxes demos do sound mighty fine to me.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I know someone who has the Jupiter 8 and the Elka synthex -

He says they are both totally overated - and when friends say ohhh wow an Synthex can I have go ? they are always dissapointed and going ' oh i thought it would blow me away ' and they are totally underwowed by it. He also said his fave synths are the Andromeda , sh2 and D50 - weird since he has everything going and choose those 3.

I have the DV800 - super good synth - like it shouldnt sound good - but it really does sound good - like its bad and good at the same time - wonky
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

how does the prophet vs sound compared to the arturia if you've heard the vst vs ?

I always wanted a real one - I rem going back about 20 years ago there was one on ebay for 1k and it was being sold by Falco 'rock me amadeus' fame , i didnt buy it but i wanted too

Quote:
The real shocker, however, was getting the PPG 2.3. I never imagined a digital synth could sound that warm and physical. When I use it to imitate analog polysynths, it sounds just as warm and thick, without the analog sizzle and size in the mix, which is a nice variation. But the warmth, damn. Not sure how they did it, I'm guessing some of it was an accident, cause I used to own a microwave 1 rev a, and while a great synth, it didn't have this 3d organicness. Almost like a rhodes or a wurli, but a synth.

I never imagined that the warmest polysynth I'd ever play would be digital! Ok, maybe that's going a bit too far, but seriously, I've never heard anything like what comes out of a ppg. So warm and organic! I can't imagine its just the SSM filters, cause on the polysix and trident they are pretty cool, but nothing like this. Maybe it's the vca circuit, or the combo, who knows. If you look inside a ppg, there's soooo little there! I wonder if the Behringer clone that seems like it is in the pipe (based on guesses on the circuit board he teased) will be able to replicate that aspect, or the digital 'crunch'.

That's not to say it replaces an analog synth, by any means. Everything that comes out of it has its signature, and too much of that has a very particular sound. But what a sound.

I was figuring it could replace my prophet vs, but no go on that. The Prophet VS is wide and 3D and glassy and transparent in a way that I've never heard a digital synth be, and it also gets that low end crunch that it shares with the PPG. I wouldn't say that the PPG does the wide glassy depth thing the prophet VS does, nor that the prophet VS has any of the incredible warmth of the ppg. Neither replaces the other for what it does.

The jp8 is great, no ques, but I can totally see how one can be underwhelmed by it. The ppg, which I paid less for (8.5k usd), was on the otherhand, overwhelmingly good, far exceeded expectations. Desert island sorta thing. Granted, it's not a 'jack of all trades', and it needs analog synths around it to shine, and generally shoudn't take over a mix. So more limited application. But wow.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Just the opposite with me. Every time I play my Jupiter 8 (or my buddy's 6), I can't believe how great it sounds. Wonderful synth.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear
I can't say about the actual synthex, as I've never had the chance to play one, but the Xerxes is constantly blowing me away. For me it is the best poly synth I've ever used. Layer it with itself in a sampler, and it is unbelievably good.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

The Jupiter 8's real strength (at least IMHO) is its absolutely PERFECT UX in the left hand controller section - It's perfectly designed for live players/ tweakers in that regard, for what was generally available at the time (no velocity/AT in an analog poly other than the CS and perhaps others I'm not aware of)

Sound to price ratio is pretty absurd these days though. Don't get me wrong - It's a rock solid synth that's well designed and has a core "reedy" sound to its VCOs that's very organic sounding and the envelopes are great too.

That said, for FAR less money, the combo of a JU60 and JP6 is a much better way to go (unless you're just a collector looking for a trophy synth or investment).

As for the Memorymoog?

Other-worldly and even though it shares the same CEM3340 as the OBXa/8/JP6/P600... is on a completely different level.

Greg
Old 6 hours ago
Ok, wow, Synthex is much cooler sounding than I realized! Maybe I'd only seen the same crappy demos each time, dunno. I wasn't that impressed by the one above. I tend to also find demos with fx misleading, even internal fx, except something like chorus, and even then, need to hear and compare both modes side by side.

That's why this demo really impressed me:

Here's what I'm not quite getting. Starting at 7:00, he starts building a patch from one oscillator. He's got the chorus OFF but by 8:00 or so, the sound is suuuuuper wide sounding. Now I've played synths that have stereo panning per voice before. Is that all that's going on here? I know there's a stereo knob, but is all it doing moving alternating voices to l/r panning extremes? Where is that crazy width coming from?

It's worth noting that I DON'T hear that on Xerxes. What I do hear is something 'similar' when the wonderful chorus is applied. Am I correct that it doesn't have the stereo voice panning of the original? I think I read that somewhere, and its kinda baffling, cause when you've gone so far to install far more costly and difficult features, this simple and low cost icing on the cake has massive 'bang for the buck' in terms of sonic impact.
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Starting at 7:00, he starts building a patch from one oscillator. He's got the chorus OFF but by 8:00 or so, the sound is suuuuuper wide sounding. Now I've played synths that have stereo panning per voice before. Is that all that's going on here? I know there's a stereo knob, but is all it doing moving alternating voices to l/r panning extremes?
In my opinion yes, although not necessarily extremes. It's just placing each voice card at a different fixed spot in the stereo spectrum, in the same manner that you can with Oberheim OB series.
That's fairly evident across 7:00 to 7:10.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search