The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Could a humidifier in my studio damage electronics?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Could a humidifier in my studio damage electronics?

I'm planning on using a humidifier in my studio so I can keep my guitars out of their cases. Will be keeping the humidity around 40-50%

Do I need to be concerned about the electronics in the room? Cables, amps, vintage synths? I can't imagine they would suffer at those humidity levels but I've been paranoid about worse. What conditions would there have to be for humidity to damage electronics?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

As long as the levels remain reasonable and consistent in the studio, average humidity levels shouldn't be a problem. It's when you get moisture that condenses and can thus short out live electronics that you'll have problems. I'd err on the conservative side if that's okay for the guitars, and shoot for 35%.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

You sure dont need it.
Just open up the windows and do this often.
Old 5 days ago
My studio is kept at a constant 50% during the summer months, no problem. My guitars are always out.
Old 5 days ago
Having humidity at a stable 40-50% should be good so long as the temperature is also fairly stable. A sudden drop in temperature could provoke condensation for example.
Old 5 days ago
Install a de-humidifier.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search