The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Juno-60 “character”?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Juno-60 “character”?

Hello everyone. I am trying to reverse engineer one specific sound for learning purposes and after months of trying with numerous synths/eurorack or combination of both I am getting results that are nowhere close so my last resort is shared knowledge from this forum.

At 20:00 there’s this arp line which I know how to achieve melody wise but the sound itself still remains a big mystery to me.

According to numerous sources it might be produced with a Juno-60 synthesizer. Sadly I have never operated one in hardware so I can’t judge if the sound I am hearing besides delay and fx is from an actual Juno-60 or not. If so, how would you approach synthesizing such sound?

Thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quick guess. To me, the higher notes are somewhere between triangle and square. Slightly filtered square maybe. The lower notes (probably the lowest) are still fairly square, so that for me is the clue and therefore the starting point. Especially as the Juno 60 doesn’t have a triangle wave.

Because of this ‘balance’ between the high and low notes, I’d say that the keytracking filter slider is the thing: keep the main freq cutoff wide open, and try closing the key tracking slider (start at the top and bring it down). Keep the high notes bright but lose that chacteristic square sound. You may have to balance the sound using a bit of the main filter slider as well, I simply cant say because I got rid of my Juno 6 way back in the late 80’s - sorry!

Since the sound is thin (in the mix) you could raise the high pass filter, and if that doesnt give the right character try on your desk instead using EQ.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

with all that processing, it could be pretty much any synth. that's not exactly the "character of the Juno-60" that you're hearing there.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Malc - Thank you for your insight. I haven't thought about that before. I also think that these sounds origin from the square/triangle territory. I will follow your advice and test this soon, expecially with keytracking and as you noted with a balance between low and high part that is being played. I am just guessing here but if this comes from a Juno-60 then it would make sense -> 1x DCO + probably sub OSC / HPF for that boost layered in "high" and "low" instance, tuned differently with filter for a fuller sound and mixed in between. I don't have a 6 voice analog poly at this moment but I will try this with Mopho X4 while utilizing similar spec (Juno-60 architecture) for the basis of the sound and run that through modular filters and VCA to give it some more flavor and layer. Might work. Some feedback, fx sends and inserts and maybe tape. Given the fact you owned a Juno-6 in the past, which is something that holds special interest to me as of now, would you consider getting one again? Since I heard many of Daniel Lopatin's recordings and a lot of 80's recordings I fell in love with that sound. It's simple, yet inherently exotic and juicy. There are quite a lot of options available these days - like Juno-06A (which sadly is only a 4 voice?) and Deepmind 12 but I recently received a good deal for a mint condition J3XP with original programmer - in case of purchase I plan to mod it with Kiwi etc. to reach more potential. Do you think I would be getting more "character" or "juice" similar to the Juno-6/60 territory out of an older analog poly like the JX3P? Although it is not a requirement. I can imagine everything brings something interesting to the table. Let's say I do enjoy vintage and modern alike.

jbuonacc - Thank you! Processing has a lot to do with the final timbre/color of the whole arp line for sure. :-)

Thank you again!

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Sounds like a distorted triangle.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Actually, it's a square wave mixed with a sawtooth and it is processed through a guitar amp.

Edit :

I tried to approximate that sound

https://clyp.it/bzfoc2b3

I used the TAL UNO LX (juno emulation but you can use anything because it's just a simple saw+square combo) and Ableton Live stock plugins Cabinet, Amp, Echo and EQ. The processing is the most important aspect of this sound.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinemotor View Post
Actually, it's a square wave mixed with a sawtooth and it is processed through a guitar amp.

Edit :

I tried to approximate that sound

https://clyp.it/bzfoc2b3

I used the TAL UNO LX (juno emulation but you can use anything because it's just a simple saw+square combo) and Ableton Live stock plugins Cabinet, Amp, Echo and EQ. The processing is the most important aspect of this sound.
sinemotor - You nailed it. I am listening right now. So mesmerizing. Makes me wonder how beautiful simple and well executed things are. :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search