what's this? fostex 2050 line mixer
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

what's this? fostex 2050 line mixer

manual:
https://www.fostexinternational.com/...?f=2050_om.pdf

item:
http://northwindsound.ca/image3b.html

it says it does 'sub and foldback mixes'. what is 'foldback'? same as send/return?
received one today... 20eu inc postage. wondered if it could be used as stereo in, with 8 send/return, pan-able, with some individual outputs. can also serve as 8-in line mixer. haven't switched it on yet. just like the look of it so far
more RCA ...

so what's it for?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Foldback is the speakers the singers and band members on stage listen to, it's the speakers that face them so they can hear what they are playing, little bit like a DJ monitor, you can use any send for this, usually the singer gets their own send obviously.. drums theirs bass etc etc

btw was that pic taken with a potato or pumpkin...ffs I can read barely of that text..?!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
btw was that pic taken with a potato or pumpkin...ffs I can read barely of that text..?!
yeah soz.. i lost patience selecting a link for a picture on the google image thing. chose one that showed it in a rack next to patchbays.

more pics here (still struggling to get a decent front and back)
https://www.google.com/search?q=fost...w=1366&bih=693

look at the back: 8x 'tape effect', -which i assume are ouputs- and 8x 'foldback', which could be returns (?). and then a strange set of outputs which seems to be combining them as stereo pairs. i have a fostex 2016 line mixer as well, which has some unusual features - can be assigned as 16:2 or 2x 8:2, with sends 1/3, 2/4.
suppose these would have been designed for use with one of their tape machines.

mine doesn't have rack ears, so it's smaller than a rack unit (nice/cute).
all those pots on the front are dual control, with gain/pan.
i'll get a bit of time to check it out at the weekend.

here better pics:
https://picclick.com/Fostex-Model-20...653174638.html

front: (missing pot cap ends)

the back:

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

just getting round to checking it out running a mono signal into it through the various inputs and returns('foldback'), seeing what comes out of the various outputs.

so far, interesting thing: the sub outs 1/5, 2/6, 3/7, 4/8 sum those pairs to mono, it seems. will try with some proper fx sends later. so then there's gain and pan for that, and it seems to act like balance/pan. so it seems indeed to be 8 send/returns or just inputs (with direct outs). 'remix' is the main volume for those channels. there's a 'cue' out, have to see what that is but it seems louder.

cool little box. it's very quiet/silent. this one has minor pot crackle, but otherwise in very nice condition (with all the cap ends). bargain for 20eu

curious to see what happens summing stereo to mono with it. and how it handles the output from a volca using a stereo-mini-to-2x RCA cable: do you get 2x50% amplitude, for the mono output volcas?

don't mind the RCA, easy enough to make a loom for use with a patchbay,or use adapters.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search