The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite Stereo Dirt Box?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Worm got good results from a cheap old mixer... IIRC it was an Ibanez(?)... @ worm ?
RM80. Used to run sw through it and the results were thick and luxurious. Also dirty as a mofo when you wanted it to be.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I want one of those chroma+’s
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
RM80. Used to run sw through it and the results were thick and luxurious. Also dirty as a mofo when you wanted it to be.
Knowing Ibanez, here's how the design meeting went.

Engineer 1: Next, we need to come up with a cheap preamp circuit for this mixing console.
Engineer 2: Well, we have an entire warehouse full of Tube Screamer chips...
Engineer 1: Works for me. Done.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Haha that's what I was thinking everytime I used it for disto. When you started stacking channels it got really nasty

https://soundcloud.com/tom-santamera/bvcxz/

A friend improvising on his tanzbar, me on a Lancet filter and the RM80's EQ with maybe 4 channels chained and the inputs cranked.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nord Modular G2
Saturation, filtering and compression in a programmable fx box.
Old 1 week ago
I'm kinda thinking about getting an old Dod. They're cheap as hell and being a guitar effect company initially, I bet it can crank out something nasty with a little overdrive. You take your box of Tube Screamers, I'll get the box of FX-69's!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Never underestimate the 69er’s Chief
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
https://soundcloud.com/tom-santamera/bvcxz/

A friend improvising on his tanzbar, me on a Lancet filter and the RM80's EQ with maybe 4 channels chained and the inputs cranked.
NARST!

Sounds like something off of the dirtier end of Stroboscopic Artefacts.
Old 1 week ago
This looks like fun. A pair for stereo would be affordable.

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.co...aracter-bundle
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
This looks like fun. A pair for stereo would be affordable.

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.co...aracter-bundle
I have the Eurorack version of that thing. It's nice, but it's extremely subtle. Pretty fun for coloring stuff before feeding the sampler.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That looks really interesting!

I am a sucker for 70s tone.

But to the OP, sounds like a tube DI could fit the bill for you, depending upon just how dirty you need your dirt.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I have the Eurorack version of that thing. It's nice, but it's extremely subtle. Pretty fun for coloring stuff before feeding the sampler.
I think the Fostex MN-50 module would be a nice one to have in this unit. I like cheapo nasty compressors.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm kinda thinking about getting an old Dod. They're cheap as hell and being a guitar effect company initially, I bet it can crank out something nasty with a little overdrive. You take your box of Tube Screamers, I'll get the box of FX-69's!
Drop a deuce

Or build one? Probably one of the simplest od/distortion circuits to build and one of the most versatile.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That's not dirt, that's full-blown distortion.
@ Derp it sounded like you are looking for a "make this sound more analog!" effect? Is that right?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
A RAT? It’s both and everything in between. You can dial in light overdrive to full wall of fuzz, cleans up with a turn of a dial.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Trogotronic m277 mkII is my favorite Stereo dirt...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Out of interest, do you have any experience with any other Ibanez mixers? There is a RM122 for sale near me but there seems to be almost no info about it online, not even on here. It looks slightly different to the RM80 (at least colour-wise), but if it has a similar sound I may take a punt on it as it has more channels than my beloved Boss BX-8 and is very cheap.

Sorry for thread hijack OP!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Dave Smith Evolver.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Drop a deuce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
@ Derp it sounded like you are looking for a "make this sound more analog!" effect? Is that right?
Well I was going that route, but then jazz made a poop joke. I have a weakness for poop jokes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterfriendly View Post
Dave Smith Evolver.
Such a good suggestion. When I had one I found it to be an ideal dirt box/FX unit...oh, and also a kickass synth.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search