The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do i make a living with Making and selling Melodies ( MIDI Files )
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfairchild View Post
yes i m aware of it , But i cant produce any full length track with my 2 gb labtop and $10 headphones , Writing melodies is fine and doesn't require a fast pc or good headphones sir
Selling midi files does not make you much money, however if you are really good at it then it might be a good idea to get a publisher. Especially if you can write it as a song (vocals) you will be able to pitch for established artists. That is where you can make a fortune
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Spill the beans then! I find it difficult to believe that most professional song writers are buying melodies to pass off as their own. (Actually I don’t believe it).
I can think of one instance of this. The main hook that Rihanna sings in Eminem’s Monster was written by a different artist (Bebe Rexha) and they paid to use it. Most pop artist do this.

FYI, I agree with you about it being laziness.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainyoo View Post
I can think of one instance of this. The main hook that Rihanna sings in Eminem’s Monster was written by a different artist (Bebe Rexha) and they paid to use it. Most pop artist do this.

FYI, I agree with you about it being laziness.
I guess I am talking specifically about passing of someone else’s work as your own. I think that’s quite different from fully credited collaboration, which of course happens all the time (singers hiring song writers for example). To me, the latter is authentic where the former isn’t...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess I am talking specifically about passing of someone else’s work as your own. I think that’s quite different from fully credited collaboration, which of course happens all the time (singers hiring song writers for example). To me, the latter is authentic where the former isn’t...
Ah ok, I see what you mean. Isn’t buying a beat the same thing, though?

Personally, if you’re doing that you’re not a producer imho. What’s the point of buying something that you as the producer should be creating, especially something so essential to a track as a melody.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Id suggest making a youtube channel teaching how you write melodies for each genre and then setting up a patreon type account where you collaborate with a paying customer on their track.

I have been playing bass on people’s records for over 10 years and getting paid for it in a similar manner.(i dont do youtube because i get enough business for now but that would probably be a nice boost for you out of the gate).
^ This is the way to do it IMO. Make a YouTube channel with tutorials, and then monetise it by having both a Patreon, and selling packs of melodies, patches for VSTs, etc.

Even if it's not something that'd sell a lot normally, if you're providing free tutorials and helping people out, your viewers will want to support you and might not mind spending a few $ on a pack they can use in their songs.

It's basically what I do for a living except my niche isn't music.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainyoo View Post
Ah ok, I see what you mean. Isn’t buying a beat the same thing, though?

Personally, if you’re doing that you’re not a producer imho. What’s the point of buying something that you as the producer should be creating, especially something so essential to a track as a melody.
I think there are some subtle differences depending on what is being copied (which I explained about two posts back). In any case, I agree, I don’t get why some people want to. But that’s not really addressing the thread topic so best we can do is voice our dissatisfaction and move on .
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeshiftApe View Post
^ This is the way to do it IMO. Make a YouTube channel with tutorials, and then monetise it by having both a Patreon, and selling packs of melodies, patches for VSTs, etc.

Even if it's not something that'd sell a lot normally, if you're providing free tutorials and helping people out, your viewers will want to support you and might not mind spending a few $ on a pack they can use in their songs.

It's basically what I do for a living except my niche isn't music.
I agree, this is a much more viable idea. But if you read the OPs posts, it seems they think it’s beyond their capabilities and/or not especially what they want to do.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
But if you read the OPs posts, it seems they think it’s beyond their capabilities
Time to pick a different career then, me thinks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search