The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finding the new key of a pitched sample in E
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Finding the new key of a pitched sample in E

Hi ! first of all i am a total music noob, but i am trying to learn !

I use fl studio FOR house,chill music. Pitch from a sample can move -1200 - +1200.

I know that 100 means 1 note. / 12 notes = 1 octave, so + 1200 in pitch = 1 octave higher.
(IF IM WRONG DONT BE AFRAID TO TELL ME LOL)

I Have a sample from splice in E. And i pitched it +400. so 4 notes higher the key of the sample should be Gminor ?

I play the fruity piano at the same time of the sample the make sure the key is right. EVEN when the sample is pitched + 400, pressing E on the piano sounds good ! but pressing Gminor sounds bad.

why ? if my sample key should not be anymore. ?

Thnaks ! (keep in mind im just starting to learn ! thanks haha, and is you have any other nice info about keys,pitching, sample, etc you<re welcome !
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
100 cents = 1 semitone.

+4 or +400 cents = 4 semitones will take your sample to G# / Ab, not 'G', 'G' is +3 up from 'E'.

Also, you said the sample is 'E' but 'E' what, 'E' as in that's the note of the sound? Or is it a musical passage within the key of 'E' ( which would mean E Major )

So what is the sample? Is it a single sound like a held Piano note or something a bit more musical? This may be relevant to what you wish to do
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinc2097 View Post
I Have a sample from splice in E. And i pitched it +400. so 4 notes higher the key of the sample should be Gminor ?
What does FL Studio say about the root key?

If I play a C on a sampler but the sample actually has the pitch of an E, then I have to transpose 4 semitones down to get a pitch of C on the key of C.

Quote:
why ? if my sample key should not be anymore. ?
Generally you have to tell a sampler that your sample is in a certain key.

On a second track, put a synth plugin that generates a simple tone. You can then compare whether the sample is in key with the synth plugin. There are only 11 other options.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tape View Post
100 cents = 1 semitone.

+4 or +400 cents = 4 semitones will take your sample to G# / Ab, not 'G', 'G' is +3 up from 'E'.

Also, you said the sample is 'E' but 'E' what, 'E' as in that's the note of the sound? Or is it a musical passage within the key of 'E' ( which would mean E Major )

So what is the sample? Is it a single sound like a held Piano note or something a bit more musical? This may be relevant to what you wish to do
hey thanks for the answer ! and yes the sample is in E major i think. this is the exact sample ! :

https://splice.com/sounds/search?q=am_syn70_empty_E
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

well i did not even know thart fl studio could give you the note key ! i know that the note key of the sample was E because splice gives it on the title when you download a sample !

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
hey thanks for the answer ! and yes the sample is in E major i think. this is the exact sample ! :

Unfortunately, I'm unable to hear that or even view it, it takes me to a page which asks me to sign up.

So assuming, ( and that's all I can do without hearing it ) what you say is correct and the sample is in E major, that means it's some sort of musical passage or perhaps a chord or something more in depth than a single note?

Ok, so what is it you want to do, you mentioned 'G' before, and more specifically, G minor, so are you trying to get an E Major sample to work in the context of a G minor tune?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tape View Post
Unfortunately, I'm unable to hear that or even view it, it takes me to a page which asks me to sign up.

So assuming, ( and that's all I can do without hearing it ) what you say is correct and the sample is in E major, that means it's some sort of musical passage or perhaps a chord or something more in depth than a single note?

Ok, so what is it you want to do, you mentioned 'G' before, and more specifically, G minor, so are you trying to get an E Major sample to work in the context of a G minor tune?
i uploaded it on soundcloud for you !!!

https://soundcloud.com/vmhbeats/sample-in-e

(paste it in your browser). this is the original sample in E, i pitched it + 400 so now it is supposed to be in G#.

But when i am doing the bass melody over it.. E still sounds 10 times better than G#
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

well i did not even know thart fl studio could give you the note key ! i know that the note key of the sample was E because splice gives it on the title when you download a sample !

It's not so much that FL Studio says something about it - it's something you have to tell your sampler

If I change the pitch +4 semitones in a wave editor like Audacity, then it sounds like this (see attachment).

Can you check if your version sounds identical (but perhaps a bit faster)?
Attached Files

am70.mp3 (261.2 KB, 127 views)

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
I'm hearing some melodic notes and mostly tones hinting or playing C#minor and EMaj chords, very close to that anyway so C#m / Emaj is the scale ( C# minor just being the relative minor of E major, same notes )

so if you pitch it, it will just be in the key of whatever you pitch it to. If you pitch it up 4 semitones, it will now be F minor / Ab major,

Try pitching it down 4 semitones in a sampler, this way when you play it on C it will be in C major and on E it will be E major etc etc. This might make transposition less confusing if it's mapped to the correct root key. Im not sure what it is exactly you wish to do though by the way...
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post

If I play a C on a sampler but the sample actually has the pitch of an E, then I have to transpose 4 semitones down to get a pitch of C on the key of C.

On a second track, put a synth plugin that generates a simple tone. You can then compare whether the sample is in key with the synth plugin. There are only 11 other options.

I didnt know ! thanks. but how to tell FL that my sample is in a particular key ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search