The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
90's Style Synth Patch (?)
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

90's Style Synth Patch (?)

Hi All!

I'm trying to identify the squarewavey style bouncing synth that appears at 4:59-5:07 in this video. I'm curious to know what synth/patch it comes from and if I can replicate it

https://youtu.be/WoPrLwAu7U8?t=299

Huge thanks!
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
If you can tell us what you have in terms of synths (hardware or software), we could tell you if you can replicate it.

There's no clearly defined origin here; it might be a sample of a synthetic percussion sound (think 808 toms). Cutting off the first part of a sample and playing it without an envelope means you can get pretty nice and snappy attacks. Layering it with a short noise burst can make it sound even more snappy.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

To my ears it sounds like an incredibly simple patch from a virtual analogue, which you could reproduce with just about any synth... I suspect the magic that you are picking up comes from the delay effect that's on it... So try with whatever softsynths you've got and with different delay times, maybe.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
it might be a sample of a synthetic percussion sound (think 808 toms). Cutting off the first part of a sample and playing it without an envelope means you can get pretty nice and snappy attacks. Layering it with a short noise burst can make it sound even more snappy.
Oh... I suspect I was listening to a different element of the track.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Oh... I suspect I was listening to a different element of the track.
There is a synth piano that comes in at 4.54, then changes into what I had perceived to be the OP's 'bouncy' sound at 4.59.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
If you can tell us what you have in terms of synths (hardware or software), we could tell you if you can replicate it.

There's no clearly defined origin here; it might be a sample of a synthetic percussion sound (think 808 toms). Cutting off the first part of a sample and playing it without an envelope means you can get pretty nice and snappy attacks. Layering it with a short noise burst can make it sound even more snappy.
Thanks for the heads up and for checking it out! I have tons and tons of software synths, unfortunately creating something like this is about out of my zone, but I’d love to give it a try. I’m wondering if this is something I could do in say, Massive or Serum?
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
To my ears it sounds like an incredibly simple patch from a virtual analogue, which you could reproduce with just about any synth... I suspect the magic that you are picking up comes from the delay effect that's on it... So try with whatever softsynths you've got and with different delay times, maybe.
Thanks so much! Appreciate the response. I’d love to give this a try. I know I have tons of soft synths in my collection. I mentioned maybe Massive or Serum. Do you have any other recommendations on where to start? Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
There is a synth piano that comes in at 4.54, then changes into what I had perceived to be the OP's 'bouncy' sound at 4.59.
On first listen, I'd thought these two sounds were from the same source, but simply the filter opened a little at the change. I don't thing that's the case actually... They just have a vaguely similar timbre.

Massive and Serum feel like overkill for this. Have you got Ableton? If so, I'd be tempted to reach for 'Analog'. https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/analog/

I'm still not certain I'm talking about the right sound though... Yoozer seems to have interpreted your OP to be referencing a different sound from the mix.

NB, I'm only listening on a laptop right now.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
To my ears it sounds like an incredibly simple patch from a virtual analogue, which you could reproduce with just about any synth... I suspect the magic that you are picking up comes from the delay effect that's on it... So try with whatever softsynths you've got and with different delay times, maybe.
I think you’re on the right sound because it sounds very analog to me also, so you’re on the right track

Unfortunately not an Ableton user. I’m using Logic Pro X and wondering if EXS24 could do the same thing. I might be way off!

I also have access to some Juno style and Minimoog software, like the Arturia collection for example that I’m curious could get the job done
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

You tricked me to listen to Michael Jackson...

Can't hear anything special about that sound, just pick some similar preset from any poly synth.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Oh... I suspect I was listening to a different element of the track.
I thought it was the bass. The chords played on top don't sound like a squarewave to me. I would agree that it's pretty basic, and Serum should be able to do this just fine

Given the time when the track was created, I'm thinking more in terms of JV-style romplers, and a VA for that sound is indeed overkill. However, if a VA is all you have, then that's what you have to work with
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I thought it was the bass. The chords played on top don't sound like a squarewave to me. I would agree that it's pretty basic, and Serum should be able to do this just fine

Given the time when the track was created, I'm thinking more in terms of JV-style romplers, and a VA for that sound is indeed overkill. However, if a VA is all you have, then that's what you have to work with
Awesome! Forgive me because I’m so novice in this area, when you say JV romplers, so you mean something like the Roland JV 1080?
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbatriani View Post
I’m using Logic Pro X and wondering if EXS24 could do the same thing.
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH27773...ewlocale=en_US
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Thank you so much!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump