The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Am I nuts to trade in my Kronos for the Fantom?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Am I nuts to trade in my Kronos for the Fantom?

Hello All,

Seeking some guidance: I am considering trading in my Korg Kronos 88 for the Roland Fantom f-8. Am I nuts?

My background is that I am a pianist foremost. I did have a rack of synths in the 80s ( dx7 and a Korg dw8000) that I played in a band. Even back then I pretty much just used the existing programs.

With the Kronos, I have used it primarily to compose and play on my own at home, however I never learned how to use daw, just used the Kronos sequencer. So, my strength is in playing and my weakness is in the technological side. I wish there was some type of class I could take in how to use daw and how to learn all about sound synthesis such as lfos, filters etc (but that’s another subject entirely),

I love the Kronos’ karma application, the combis, as well as the action and the sounds available (it has some amazing piano, organ and electric piano sounds especially).

What appeals to me about the fantom is it’s ease of use (although it will be a new learning curve for me). Also, in general a new keyboard will give me some new “creative juice”.

I know that the Kronos is pretty much a legend among workstations. So am I nuts to consider trading it for a fantom? Really tough decision here.

Just a side note, I went to my local music store where I purchased my Kronos and other previous keyboards. The keyboard guy there is excellent and usually will give me a 20 minute demo. He told me with Christmas coming and the store being crazy he never got around yet to learning the fantom, so he couldn’t give me a demo. I played around a bit but not enough to make a decision.

Thanks everyone!
Old 1 week ago
I'm thinking of doing (almost) exactly that. I was planning to dump my Kronos Platinum 88 for a new Fantom 7. I'm not a skilled pianist so I won't miss the Kronos 88's (heavy) hammer-action. I'm totally Jones-ing for the Fantom's much superior UI after struggling for over a year with the Kronos' frustratingly cryptic and cramped screens. However, I have an excellent third-party orchestral EXs library on my Kronos' SSD that's really hard to give up.

But then again, you're a gigging musician and might need the traditional ROMpler sounds of the Kronos? For me, I'm just looking for a super-VA with an easy-as-pie UI/UX—so the new Fantom fits my wants perfectly. I'm just so over both the Montage's and Kronos' f*cked-up UIs. But, dammit, I just love the Kronos' sounds. I'll likely keep the Kronos if I can fit it the room somewhere.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It isn't nuts if the result will be you putting more usage on the Fantom.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic View Post
It isn't nuts if the result will be you putting more usage on the Fantom.
Exactly! I'm only able to use 5% of my Kronos' capabilities because I'm too dumb/impatient to learn its secrets. If the Fantom's UI is as well-designed as it appears to be, I'll be able to use it to its fullest extent.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hey studio460,

I am not gigging anymore, just using it as a home studio. Like you, I feel I have only learned to use about 10% of what it’s capable of, even though when I first bought it I printed out the 1500 page manual with good intentions

I figured maybe I can really dig into the fantom easier and also teach myself how to use daw. Then again if I do all that, maybe I can learn to do it on the Kronos. I am sooo confused
Old 1 week ago
There is no wrong decision. If the workflow of the Fantom speaks more to you then go with the one that excites you. Both are really powerful machines.

Like Studio460, I have quite a collection of orchestral sounds on my Kronos. Plus, I like MOD-7, so my decision is clear. Fantom's interface sure is nice, though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

My first thought was that trading the Kronos 88 for a Fantom 8 was a bad idea. But it kind of makes sense if you find the Fantom 8 easier to use. If you're primarily a piano player who doesn't program the other synth engines then that's not really an asset for you.

I've owned a Kronos since about a year after they first came out, and my main complaint about it has always been the interface. I always wished they had built it more like the Oasys with a larger touch screen that tilts toward the user, though I know that would have driven up the price tag. The screens are so jam packed that it really takes a lot of time and dedication (and frustration) to get a handle on it. The Kronos is just one of those workstations that is powerful enough that its complexity makes it less accessible.

Better the single tool you like and use than the multi tool you leave sitting in a drawer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It sounds like you really aren’t using all of the best parts of the Kronos (like MOD7, all the Waveshaping tables, custom wavesequences, MS20 mode filter FM...custom parameter sequencers in AL1, etc etc) and merely using presets, so it’s a bit of a waste to keep it...the Fantom does look easier to use, and might be more suitable.

It’s nowhere near as deep synthesis wise, but deep enough for a snorkeller to make a few tweaks to patches.
Old 1 week ago
Go try one out at a store first, see if you actually like it. Ideally side by side so you can hear how it sounds.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfish930 View Post
My background is that I am a pianist foremost....
.... I feel I have only learned to use about 10% of what it’s capable of....

Sounds like you might do OK with a stage piano with a few extra sounds.
Maybe you don't need something as complicated and comprehensive as a Kronos or Fantom.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I would never trade away my Kronos unless something killed it directly with the same feature set done better. I would miss the ability to load sample banks created samplerobot and loaded as sf2 files, and the relatively unlimited storage compared to other keyboards. I would miss the sounds, which are not like what I have in any other device.

For Roland tricks I have a system 1, the Roland cloud subscription, a fully loaded Xv-5080, and the new Fantom is too new and unproven for me to spend any money on it yet.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi felis,

Maybe your idea about a stage piano isn’t a bad one. What about a stage piano with a built in sequencer? Does such a thing exist? I use my Kronos almost 100% for composing.
I figured whatever keyboard I end up getting, I would figure out how to compose using its onboard sequencer before I try to learn daw. Daw sounds daunting to me. With the Kronos I was just going to use an Daw as a means to create a usable internet file. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I use the daw to sequence my Kronos, it easily connects via usb, it is super simple. A stage piano with sequencer that is simpler and cheaper than Kronos or Fantom is the kurzweil pc4, the sequencer is very full featured and much easier to use than the Kronos, you basically just hit record.

I prefer the daw option but wish I didn’t have to, but the interface of hardware sequencers for me is too limiting or confusing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

dunno why but I keep reading this thread title as ' my nuts to trade for a fantom'..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

jfish930

I spent years convincing myself that a DAW was beyond me and the complexity would kill my musical creativity, plus I was great at using my Motif XF's built in sequencer.

Last year I took time out to give a DAW a spin, I went with Reaper and gave myself a solid week to sit down and each day configure it and learn it.

First day was awful lol, totally confused. Second day I made a simple template, third day things started to click a little and by the forth day I was now starting to understand it well enough to view online tutorials and really get to work tracking.

The hardest and most confusing part in the beginning is getting everything routed (inputs/outputs, usb/midi, the audio interface etc) that's the bit you do first and once you see your Kronos or Fantom in the DAW you then save it and you can also make a template with track settings etc that may not save globally.

I would never go back now to using my XF for sequencing and my Tascam for recording when I actually now have a vastly better and more contained system in the DAW

You owe it to yourself like I did to see what you're missing by moving over to a DAW
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks AMTech,

That makes a lot of sense; as you say I should at least give it a shot. But I am also wondering if there are any simple stage pianos out there, with lots of programs, great sounds, great keyboard and easy to sequencer? I may post this question on a new thread. Thanks for the great idea though about trying out daw.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks gminorcoles. I may just check that one out!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks AMTech,

That makes a lot of sense; as you say I should at least give it a shot. But I am also wondering if there are any simple stage pianos out there, with lots of programs, great sounds, great keyboard and easy to sequencer? I may post this question on a new thread. Thanks for the great idea though about trying out daw.

Remember the DAW is easy to sequence once you understand how to use it and make it work as you wish.

You can for instance strip back all of the options (little icons everywhere) in Reaper by removing them thus creating just a simple multitrack recorder.

This is the part I didn't realise when I was in that transition period where I was reading about complicated automation, complex routing and controller settings that most people talk about in the DAW community

Good luck whatever you decide to do
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don't think anything out there will touch the sounds on either the Kronos or Fantom. If you found the V-Piano better, I'd sell the Kronos and get the Fantom. Besides, losing the other synthesis types on the Kronos isn't such a big deal when you have more involved and feature rich VA synth on the Fantom. If you loved the MOD7 and STR1 synths on the Kronos I'd say keep it.

I know I'm a lot of help, but stage piano-wise, nothing can provide the extra sounds of either Kronos or Fantom.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Lift weights. Then, get a Montage 88. Let the groupies in the audience know that you've got class AND strength.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hello All,

Seeking some guidance: I am considering trading in my Korg Kronos 88 for the Roland Fantom f-8. Am I nuts?
No. Even having not yet tried the new Fantom, just knowing the Kronos and having experience with past Roland products, i'd probably do it in a second. The Kronos was very underwhelming to me. I had a Motif, tried the Kronos for three weeks, and stuck with the Motif.

Now the Montage idea...yes to that. I'd take the Montage over pretty much anything in the sample-based workstation class.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Now I am going to research the Montage as well and throw that into the mix.
So far, it’s either keep the Kronos, or get the Fantom or Montage

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search