The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to pair with a Access Virus KB and a Yamaha AN1X?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

What to pair with a Access Virus KB and a Yamaha AN1X?

Was thinking something like a JP8080?

Any other suggestions from the era/decade (1990's 2000's) that brought these synths?

I'm wanting a mix of modern and classic VA's.

My list for newer Modern VA/Digital synth are a Roland System 8 and a ASM Hydrasynth.

But what would pair good with a AN1X and the ACCESS VIRUS kb?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajor Hill View Post
Was thinking something like a JP8080?

Any other suggestions from the era/decade (1990's 2000's) that brought these synths?

I'm wanting a mix of modern and classic VA's.

My list for newer Modern VA/Digital synth are a Roland System 8 and a ASM Hydrasynth.

But what would pair good with a AN1X and the ACCESS VIRUS kb?
#

From the era - Q / MicroQ or Blofeld

modern - i think Hydra over System 8
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Maybe a Korg ms2000?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Kawai k5000
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Get the

Z1 by Korg

You want a NORD Lead 1 the original or the Nord Lead 2X
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
Get the

Z1 by Korg

You want a NORD Lead 1 the original or the Nord Lead 2X
Was thinking nord lead 3 due to the interface
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

For whatever it's worth I like the Micro Q over the JP-8000, AN1x, and Ion since to me it sounds the best(having owned all back to back there for awhile trying to find a VA I liked). I always wanted to try a Z1, so that might be worth a go if you want a keyed synth.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Microwave XT
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post
For whatever it's worth I like the Micro Q over the JP-8000, AN1x, and Ion since to me it sounds the best(having owned all back to back there for awhile trying to find a VA I liked). I always wanted to try a Z1, so that might be worth a go if you want a keyed synth.
I used to have micro Q and a XT

Miss them dearly

both very good suggestions

My fear is getting an older synth and it dying on me and then the process starts over again but my reasoning is to use the older gear sparingly and repairing when needed now
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
Nordlead 2
what makes the nord lead 2x special compared to say the nord lead 3 or even nord lead 4 or a1?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I used to have micro Q and a XT

Miss them dearly

both very good suggestions

My fear is getting an older synth and it dying on me and then the process starts over again but my reasoning is to use the older gear sparingly and repairing when needed now
I'd think the digital synths of the 90's would be fairly reliable, especially those that were made in Japan or Germany etc... Though I'd imagine the AN1x and Virus kB would cover all your early VA stuff, and maybe you could go with something newer if you're worried about more old synths. I hear the King Korg is supposed to be good, though it doesn't have aftertouch through the keyboard but I think it responds through MIDI. The Peak and Summit seem awesome, though they're hybrids.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I like the idea of the JP8080 in that setup. Z1 would also be good, though they're harder to find in good shape.

K5000S is a great synth but I hope you're willing to spend some time learning additive synthesis. It definitely adds something different to the mix that the AN1X and Virus KB don't have.

FS1R would also fill some interesting gaps, though. So would a V-Synth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Personally I’d rather have something analog rather than more VAs. Or alternatively a Rompler like JV1080 or Korg Wavestation etc.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
what makes the nord lead 2x special compared to say the nord lead 3 or even nord lead 4 or a1?
The fact that it was a reissue, showing that people really wanted to have a NL2.

A 4 would already fall in the "modern" category for me. The 3 is its own thing and should not be directly compared.

If you want something cutting and cold compared to the warmer KB and AN1x I'd think this would be a good choice.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
The fact that it was a reissue, showing that people really wanted to have a NL2.

A 4 would already fall in the "modern" category for me. The 3 is its own thing and should not be directly compared.

If you want something cutting and cold compared to the warmer KB and AN1x I'd think this would be a good choice.
So a couple of things changed in my thought process

after being able to get my access virus kb and an1x working and hearing them for the first time in YEARS(and being blown away them) Ive come to the conclusion i need a modern analog.

That prob will be a warp drive.

However still want a very digital synth and its a cross between a nord 4 a digitone or a jp 8080.

out of the
digitone
nord lead 4
jp8080

what would compliment a setup better if the an1x and virus are paired with these?

Im leaning toward jp 8080
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
So a couple of things changed in my thought process

after being able to get my access virus kb and an1x working and hearing them for the first time in YEARS(and being blown away them) Ive come to the conclusion i need a modern analog.
Are you in luck! They're making these again

If you want a very digital synth I would not pick any of those - I'd get a https://www.modalelectronics.com/argon8/
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Are you in luck! They're making these again

If you want a very digital synth I would not pick any of those - I'd get a https://www.modalelectronics.com/argon8/
hmmm id rather a hydrasynth
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezisehtnys View Post

I had both the AN1X(2001 acquired at 300.00 dollars) and the ION(2006 acquired) at the same time in 2006 - 2008) . Honestly? my mistake was going ITB using a PC with stolen plugins in 2008. So I sold my only two synths, my ESI 32 Sampler and sold my sequencer the Yamaha RM1X(sequencing the sampler and the two synths while at the same time also using the RM1X sounds).

This was my most exciting and creative time when I was using hardware. I was making demos and posting them on myspace lol and meeting friends.

But? when I transitioned to ITB? oh boy i didn't even make a demo.. I did produce 2 songs in two years . I was not inspired at all OMG.

Remember the plugin Rob Papen BLUE and Predator? I love the sound but going thru hundreds of sounds, that's all I did was auditioning presets.. Terrible. This is why I can't get Omnisphere or Komplete. I know what will happen to me.

I then realized I made a stupid mistake to go ITB with stolen plugins.. All the musos I knew in Los Angeles used freakin stolen plugs and they were proud Angelinos.

I grew up eventually and I appreciate when I pay for a plugin or vst. Oh and I'm on a MAC now.

Anyway, the AN1X and the ION? I'd love to have both back.. These two are the best VA's I'd ever used.. The ION sounds analog to me or it does a good job doing moog bass sounds I mean.

The AN1X is a very good synth.. Get one. It was also my bass synth, pads, synth sounds, synth fx.. I also used this nice editor developed by this gentleman.. The fx, arpreggio's that comes with it is just ace..

I had both the AN1X and JP8080 and I'll take the AN1X
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
I had both the AN1X(2001 acquired at 300.00 dollars) and the ION(2006 acquired) at the same time in 2006 - 2008) . Honestly? my mistake was going ITB using a PC with stolen plugins in 2008. So I sold my only two synths, my ESI 32 Sampler and sold my sequencer the Yamaha RM1X(sequencing the sampler and the two synths while at the same time also using the RM1X sounds).

This was my most exciting and creative time when I was using hardware. I was making demos and posting them on myspace lol and meeting friends.

But? when I transitioned to ITB? oh boy i didn't even make a demo.. I did produce 2 songs in two years . I was not inspired at all OMG.

Remember the plugin Rob Papen BLUE and Predator? I love the sound but going thru hundreds of sounds, that's all I did was auditioning presets.. Terrible. This is why I can't get Omnisphere or Komplete. I know what will happen to me.

I then realized I made a stupid mistake to go ITB with stolen plugins.. All the musos I knew in Los Angeles used freakin stolen plugs and they were proud Angelinos.

I grew up eventually and I appreciate when I pay for a plugin or vst. Oh and I'm on a MAC now.

Anyway, the AN1X and the ION? I'd love to have both back.. These two are the best VA's I'd ever used.. The ION sounds analog to me or it does a good job doing moog bass sounds I mean.

The AN1X is a very good synth.. Get one. It was also my bass synth, pads, synth sounds, synth fx.. I also used this nice editor developed by this gentleman.. The fx, arpreggio's that comes with it is just ace..

I had both the AN1X and JP8080 and I'll take the AN1X
I liked the AN1x the most until I got the Micro Q, I guess 3 oscillators and 25 voices with up to 4 parts split/layered won me over. That and to me it sounds more full and upscale than the AN1x, even with limiting the Micro Q to 2 oscillators to play fair. I'd really like to try a Z1 though, especially since it has physical modeling.

Also the only software I've used, beyond trying and deleting, was recording software. I'm boring like that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

tHANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE NOSTALGIA AND STORies

THAT SAID

MY CHOICES ARE

POLY D - PRETTY MUCH MADE MY MIND UP THE MINUTE I SAW IT PLUS I CAN USE MY AKAI FORCE TO AUTOSAMPLE A PATCH I MAKE AND LIKE

woooh just realized i had caps on

Nord Lead 4 - just enough of a mix between the 2x's and nord lead 3 and fairly newer

System 8 - tried the "vst" lol and it was nice but too smooth sounding

roland jp-8080 im very nostalgic for this one i had one and i regret the day i got rid of it I got it as a present to boot

and finally
get back the mord lead a1 but this time in the keyboard version.... had the rack much ratehr have that engine and be playing it while tweaking

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search