The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jupiter 4 - what other synths sound close to it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
I've had a Jupiter 4 on my mind for several years... what other synths sound very close to that sound?
Hmm... good luck with that.

Unfortunately you've picked the one synth I've had the pleasure of owning and knowing well that simply isn't like anything else that I've heard.

The JP4 sound doesn't really belong with the creamy old-school classic Roland monos like the SH5, and yet neither is it anything like the 'cleaner' polyphonic Jupiters & Junos.

It's an outlier. A freak of nature. One of a kind. Unique.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There's the IO midi kit for the JP4 too. No idea if they are currently available though, site doesn't look to have been updated for years :/

http://midipolis.blogspot.com/p/order_25.html
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

8DIO Jupiter-4 Prophet-X pack on sale for just $24 bucks right now to get you going on some basic sounds until you find a real one. I added their whole PX pack collection.

https://8dio.com/instrument/sequenti...n-6-jupiter-4/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
The JP4 sound doesn't really belong with the creamy old-school classic Roland monos like the SH5, and yet neither is it anything like the 'cleaner' polyphonic Jupiters & Junos.
It's always fascinating how people hear things differently. The Jup-4 falls right in line with the SH-series as far as overall tone. I suspect your sense of the SH-5 being "creamier" is derived from the fact that the SH-5 has two oscillators, because I could say the same thing about the ProMars. I did some extensive comparisons between the ProMars and SH-101 and found them almost identical at times (I posted the audio previously and others also largely agreed).

Some general thoughts about the older vs. newer SH (e.g., 101): the resonance loses more bass on the old ones and the basic waveform tone is more muffled. Beyond that, they all live in the same stable. The Jup-4 is no more "raw" or organic than any other of the SH monos--it's really just 4 x SH-09s. There's some minor filter differences between the first and second filter revs, but even this is pretty minor, and only really noticeable at higher resonances.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
It's always fascinating how people hear things differently. The Jup-4 falls right in line with the SH-series as far as overall tone. I suspect your sense of the SH-5 being "creamier" is derived from the fact that the SH-5 has two oscillators, because I could say the same thing about the ProMars. I did some extensive comparisons between the ProMars and SH-101 and found them almost identical at times (I posted the audio previously and others also largely agreed).

Some general thoughts about the older vs. newer SH (e.g., 101): the resonance loses more bass on the old ones and the basic waveform tone is more muffled. Beyond that, they all live in the same stable. The Jup-4 is no more "raw" or organic than any other of the SH monos--it's really just 4 x SH-09s. There's some minor filter differences between the first and second filter revs, but even this is pretty minor, and only really noticeable at higher resonances.
So SH-09 is the answer?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
So SH-09 is the answer?
The SH-09 was my first synth. My JP-4 came much later.

No it won't really sound like a Jupiter-4.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you’re going to look to a synth similar to the JP4 I’d suggest guest the ProMars is possibly closest you’ll get.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymooger View Post
There's the IO midi kit for the JP4 too. No idea if they are currently available though, site doesn't look to have been updated for years :/

http://midipolis.blogspot.com/p/order_25.html
Doesn’t respond to emails. Many have given up.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's always fascinating how people hear things differently. The Jup-4 falls right in line with the SH-series as far as overall tone. I suspect your sense of the SH-5 being "creamier" is derived from the fact that the SH-5 has two oscillators, because I could say the same thing about the ProMars.
Maybe SH-5 isn't the right example, since VCF is a different design compared to JP-4 (both revs).
SH-2 should be closer i suppose.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would not recommend a polysix to someone wanting a J4.
Having both, i personally totally would ! The jup4 sound more precise and its roland square is lovely, its also beat the polysix for mono duties, where the Polysix is darker, creepier and more organic for lack of words. But both synth have something in common that i can’t find on many other poly, something organic, warm and drifty, a character that i usually see on mono. All later synths from Roland and Korg lack something in that category.
For somebody interested in a Jup4, i would totally recommend to check the Ps6.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Combination of Polysix (for unison sounds and arpeggiator) and Juno-106 (for chorused timbres) minimised my passion for Jupiter-4. Sounds quite close, at times indistinguishable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistores View Post
Combination of Polysix (for unison sounds and arpeggiator) and Juno-106 (for chorused timbres) minimised my passion for Jupiter-4. Sounds quite close, at times indistinguishable.
So it took two reasonably good synths to get close the sound of one great synth. Sounds about right.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Nothing. Just the Jupiter 4.

If you want THAT sound you need THAT synth

Save yourself lots of trouble and just get one

It’s a BEAST

I think they made a mono that was similar (sh1000?) someone will chime in.

Maybe the 8 a little.

Not the 6
SH-1000 is very different from Jupiter 4. I have both.
The SH-1000 is still extremely desirable if you add cv/inputs. First synth made by Roland. Very peculiar filter. Massive sound adding the individual waveforms organ-like...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soulcatcher View Post
nothing sounds like a jupiter 4 (nor the jp6 or jp8 does)
the mono version of the jp4 was the promars, but even that doesnt sound like a jp4
Right. Promars is cleaner. The weight of the Jupiter-4 unison sound is far beyond his capabilities.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Have you actually played one? The Jupiter-4 is ultra-clean and pristine compared to the Dreadbox stuff, like all vintage roland gear.
Open the VCA and it will saturate like hell. Jupiter 4 can be clean or not.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiorange View Post
Open the VCA and it will saturate like hell. Jupiter 4 can be clean or not.
Sure, but it's not a pleasant saturation--more just like distortion--and this is post filter.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
The SH-09 was my first synth. My JP-4 came much later.

No it won't really sound like a Jupiter-4.
I agree with that. But the square wave of the SH-9 sub-oscillator and the external input where you can use the old Minimoog trick of re-route the headphone output back into itself lead to pure sound magic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Sure, but it's not a pleasant saturation--more just like distortion--and this is post filter.
Yeah, it’s rough and not very controllable, but this is AFAIK the only Roland synth with kind of distortion.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
I've had a Jupiter 4 on my mind for several years, but the large size of it is one of the main reasons that has kept me from picking one up. What other synths sound very close to that sound?
The closest relative of the Jupiter-4 is the Promars. But that's monophonic only. After that, I'd say the SH-2, but that's monophonic only as well.

Basically, the JP-4 is a unique sounding synth. So if you really want that sound, alternatives are limited.

Concerning MIDI kits, I installed the Io kit by myself. It was not difficult. The hardest part was drilling the holes in the case for the MIDI sockets without making a total mess.

SIZE
946(W) x 410(D) x 179(H) mm

NET WEIGHT
19 kg

Compared to The River, it shouldn't be a problem for you to move around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
what you have to watch out for are the filter revisions, up to Serial Number 800800: four OTA stages with selected BA662 with FET transistors as Buffers
Serial Number higher than 800800:
four OTA stages integrated in a Roland IR3109
This information is inaccurate. (Did you by any chance get it from Florian Anwander's page? )

Serial 952750 and higher uses the IR3109. 800800 only marks a revision board change which still uses BA662.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

This information is inaccurate. (Did you by any chance get it from Florian Anwander's page? )

Serial 952750 and higher uses the IR3109. 800800 only marks a revision board change which still uses BA662.
Yes from Flori
but is not so important, I always thought rev1 is stocked with styro. but it is not, both ceramic, ie. the difference is within limits
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
Yes from Flori
but is not so important, I always thought rev1 is stocked with styro. but it is not, both ceramic, ie. the difference is within limits
Yes, ceramic in the filter and styro caps in the VCO. Here's my very early card revision (first months of production).

Look at those beautiful red painted matched BA662As :D
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Even a broken Jupiter 4 sounds better than 99% of modern synths.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search