The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question about using subpac with monitors
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Question about using subpac with monitors

Hey! So I have been using a subpac with my sennheiser hd600s to do my producing and mixing (I know bad to mix on headphones). I moved into an apartment and the times I would make music I was unable to use my monitors. Well now that my schedule is changing, I will be able to use my monitors during the day! Im trying to figure out how to hook my subpac s2 up to my audio interface, for use with the speakers. Im using an avid duet (same as apogee duet) and I have my speakers as the stereo out, or whatever that output is on my interface. For the subpac I was going to just put it in the line out (headphone out), but I don't know if this will work. First, im not sure if the audio interface will output both the speakers, and the headphones out at the same time. I would think that it should and im going to test that today, but that brings up my other question. Since it is 2 independent volume controls, one for the stereo out monitors and another for the headphone jack where the sub pac is, doesn't that mean that the subpac volume won't correlate with the speaker volume? When using subpac the normal way with headphones, if you turn down your volume up or down in the headphones, the subpac sub would also increase or decrease. But if im using separate outputs with independent volume controls, doesn't this mean the volumes will be different for each one? Even if I set the volumes correctly, im constantly changing the volume of my speakers. What is the best way to go about hooking up the subpac to my monitors? Maybe a work around would be to set both volumes and never touch them, and using a gain plugin in my daw instead. Id rather not do this, so is there any other way?
Or any ideas how to do this? Thanks a bunch!!

Last edited by garyjones42; 1 week ago at 04:50 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don’t know anything about the Apogee feature set, but if only use one set of speakers then you’d take the monitor outs to your monitors and the headphone out to the subpac should work, and the headphone level control is generally separate from the monitor levels but again maybe the apogee is different from most.

In my studio I use a cheap presonus monitor controller so I can manage levels and different speaker sets and headphones independently though. I put the subpac on that and it works fine.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

well the headphone out volume is independent that's what the problem is, doesn't that mean my levels for the speaker will be different than the headphone out (subpac)? So if I turn up the volume in my speakers the the sub volume won't go up with it, I would have to go in and raise the volume on headphones as well. That is doable but then how do you know your listening to it as it should be if I don't get both volumes exactly correct?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjones42 View Post
well the headphone out volume is independent that's what the problem is, doesn't that mean my levels for the speaker will be different than the headphone out (subpac)? So if I turn up the volume in my speakers the the sub volume won't go up with it, I would have to go in and raise the volume on headphones as well. That is doable but then how do you know your listening to it as it should be if I don't get both volumes exactly correct?
A monitor controller like I have often has a DIM switch which can be setup to control both simultaneously.

Some sound cards have virtual mixers that you could also do something like this with, but I don’t know if the apogee does.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I just read into it the only think I can do with dim is turn down both speaker and headphone volume down -15db at the same time. I guess what I really need to do is be able to control both headphone and speaker volume at the same time. Maybe some type of routing not too sure. But yea at least I got the subpac working with monitors, I just won't be able to change the volumes at all until I can figure out a way lmao

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search