The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland D-50: How to Trigger Polyphony in DAW?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Roland D-50: How to Trigger Polyphony in DAW? (SOLVED!)

EDIT: This problem was solved by simply purchasing a Roland UM-ONE MIDI-USB cable and discarding my old possibly broken 'no name brand' one. Thanks to all for your help. Extremely appreciated.

So I have an interesting issue with my newly aquired D-50. Here is what I am experiencing (please see attached images)

If I play notes C, E, and G all at the same time and record the MIDI notes into my DAW, I hear all three notes play polyphony just fine. Note that they are not all playing at 'exactly' the same time, but milliseconds off from eachother. However, after I quantize notes in my DAW, and press play, I only hear one note, C, trigger while E and G never trigger.

This doesn't make sense to me. The Roland D-50 is definitely capable of playing more than one note at a time. In my DAW, like I said, if they trigger at slightly different times (like how you naturally play a keyboard) without quantizing them to play at exactly the same, you hear them just fine. But the problem seems to be with quantization.

Why would that be? Where along the chain could there be a limitation?
Attached Thumbnails
Roland D-50: How to Trigger Polyphony in DAW?-thisdoesnt.jpg   Roland D-50: How to Trigger Polyphony in DAW?-works.jpg  

Last edited by brento1138; 1 week ago at 02:35 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What does "MIDI connected" mean in this context? Did you turn Local Off on the D-50?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
What does "MIDI connected" mean in this context? Did you turn Local Off on the D-50?
"MIDI connected" means I've got MIDI cables going from my Synth to my DAW. The Local is turned On.

Edit: OK, to be more clear, I've added a picture of the polyphony not working and working. In one image, the notes are slightly separated, and I hear all three notes trigger. But in the other photo, the one with a quantized note set, I only hear one note out of the three trigger.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Turn local off.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
Turn local off.
Unfortunately that does not solve the problem for me. :(

If I turn local off, and the three notes try to play at the same time in my DAW, only one note still triggers.

Last edited by brento1138; 1 week ago at 01:08 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I mean, I guess I can just always quantize notes then shift them slightly. But that sure is annoying... they will play. But. Weird.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Do you have another synth you can try? Would be good to isolate the problem to the DAW or synth and go from there.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboard View Post
Do you have another synth you can try? Would be good to isolate the problem to the DAW or synth and go from there.
Very good idea. I think it must be the synth itself, since I recall the DeepMind 12 (which I no longer have) having no problem. Also, my DeepMind 12 was connected via a USB cable. This one is connected with one of those USB to MIDI cables. I no longer have a polysynth to test with. I'll have to wait until I get another one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I've had D-50/D-550 in the past and never had this issue before. I'm more likely to blame the USB MIDI adapter you're using than the synth.

Do you have any other synths or MIDI devices, or another way to get Midi into the D-50 besides your DAW? Maybe try a different USB adapter?

Another possibility is some sort of MIDI loop. If you connect only the cable from the adapter to the MIDI IN on the D-50, leaving the MIDI OUT disconnected, and play your quantized notes from the DAW, do all the notes play then?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
one of those USB to MIDI cables
if it's one of those nondescript cables, it can be pot luck on that front. sometimes the opto isolators are missing, or they may have been reclaimed from a scrap part to put in the cable. having something more reliable like a Roland UM ONE MKII is usually a better idea. because they also can serve as a reliable control. if you got the same behavior on both units, then It may be something more likely due to the D50. it's hard to say without some way of cross referencing the behavior.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
You need the Behri poly para D for that true polyphoney shizzle
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
if it's one of those nondescript cables, it can be pot luck on that front. sometimes the opto isolators are missing, or they may have been reclaimed from a scrap part to put in the cable. having something more reliable like a Roland UM ONE MKII is usually a better idea. because they also can serve as a reliable control. if you got the same behavior on both units, then It may be something more likely due to the D50. it's hard to say without some way of cross referencing the behavior.
Well, Muser, it appears that our speculations were correct. It was indeed the stupid USB to MIDI converter after all. I went out and bought a Roland brand USB MIDI Interface, the UM-ONE, and this has solved my problem completely. I am now able to trigger polyphony finally with quantized notes just fine!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, time, and help. Appreciate it very much.

And let this be a message to all: blame the cable first.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brento1138 View Post
Well, Muser, it appears that our speculations were correct. It was indeed the stupid USB to MIDI converter after all. I went out and bought a Roland brand USB MIDI Interface, the UM-ONE, and this has solved my problem completely. I am now able to trigger polyphony finally with quantized notes just fine!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, time, and help. Appreciate it very much.

And let this be a message to all: blame the cable first.
cool. well look into using the time stamping capability in that Roland. it's supposed to be really good. you'll probably need the driver installed for it. otherwise it works class compliant. but with no time stamping in that case.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search