The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TX81Z - Cheap Arpeggiation options
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

TX81Z - Cheap Arpeggiation options

I'm new to music production overall, but I'm keen to accumulate some older FM gear, as I like the character of that particular sound, and some of it can be picked up quite cheap.

The TX81Z seems to have the FM sound I'm looking for. However, the one thing I'd like - but don't have - is a way of using arpeggiation with it. I have a Yamaha Piaggero NP-11 which I plan to use as the controller, but it has no arpeggiation.

Do I need a dedicated controller / synth with arpeggiation, or are there other options (VSTs) or even hardware units that add arpeggiation? Apologies if that's a dumb question. I just figured if that's the case, maybe a DX7 would just bypass the extra expense and give me everything together. Like everyone else, I'm after the Lately Bass sound, and the DX7 seems to have a similar preset, 'Solid Bass'.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Your daw should have midi arp and likely a very good one

If not I'm sure there are cheap or free vst arp available, I bet they are editable in a good way too.

Solid bass ain't quite lately bass , stick with the TX
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Isn’t the Arturia key step an arp monster? Cheap and cheerful sequencing

I’d like a dedicated arp sequencer - it’s a pain doing it in Ableton
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Doh. I have a Microbrute who's MIDI didn't even occur to me as an option.

Done a bit of reading, and it looks like I might have a shot at connecting the TX81Z to the Microbrute via the DAW. If not, I'll explore the other options and see what results i get from those. Thanks All.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

There is the free BlueARP plugin. The creator is currently working on a hardware version.

http://graywolf2004.net/wp/

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i never bothered to check: can the tx81z presets be edited in multitimbral mode?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
i never bothered to check: can the tx81z presets be edited in multitimbral mode?
i truly cannot remember....................... must....check
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
i truly cannot remember....................... must....check
please. can't be a**ed to go and dig it out and set it up.
would be a game changer though. the tx802 can edit all parts, switch off, and then back on and everything is as before. they don't make'em like that anymore, with temporary buffers for each part.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
please. can't be a**ed to go and dig it out and set it up.
would be a game changer though. the tx802 can edit all parts, switch off, and then back on and everything is as before. they don't make'em like that anymore, with temporary buffers for each part.
Yes it can

Just got the OG green manual out that's written on what was once white but now very fag yellow paper inside

Also, because the manuals are the way they are I checked on the TX too
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it can

Just got the OG green manual out that's written on what was once white but now very fag yellow paper inside

Also, because the manuals are the way they are I checked on the TX too
wow: must be very yellowed. as i recall, the manual (far away atm) was BLUE.

this is pretty major. so what's the story?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Blue, ? No way mine has changed colour that much possible though

I will take a pic, I'd say green, maybe it's me and my perception ?

Ok this is my colour, not my unit, found this image on Google , I say green what say thee?
Attached Thumbnails
TX81Z - Cheap Arpeggiation options-image.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

This is mine, worn and beaten. Green, turquoise?

I dunno

Anyway, yeah we can edit it in perform
Attached Thumbnails
TX81Z - Cheap Arpeggiation options-image.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

turquoise

right: so you can hit Edit in Perf mode, takes you back into single edit? cool.
i shouldna sold the 802 really... don't even really know why i did. :-/

and if you switch it off mid-edit, with separate edits active? can you do that?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
If you have a lot of older hardware synths this is what i got for my synths that dont have arppegiators, also acts as librarian.

https://lewismidi.com/czpl88mini/
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
turquoise

right: so you can hit Edit in Perf mode, takes you back into single edit? cool.
i shouldna sold the 802 really... don't even really know why i did. :-/

and if you switch it off mid-edit, with separate edits active? can you do that?
Turquoise is green right I don't know ?

No, in perf I can choose what voice to edit if I hit edit , it doesn't go back to single

I didn't have it in the mixer when playing, I should have done so I could aurally confirm but based on the lcd I stayed in perf
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
in perf I can choose what voice to edit if I hit edit , it doesn't go back to single

I didn't have it in the mixer when playing, I should have done so I could aurally confirm but based on the lcd I stayed in perf
*cool*
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyToAssemble View Post
I'm new to music production overall, but I'm keen to accumulate some older FM gear, as I like the character of that particular sound, and some of it can be picked up quite cheap.

The TX81Z seems to have the FM sound I'm looking for. However, the one thing I'd like - but don't have - is a way of using arpeggiation with it. I have a Yamaha Piaggero NP-11 which I plan to use as the controller, but it has no arpeggiation.

Do I need a dedicated controller / synth with arpeggiation, or are there other options (VSTs) or even hardware units that add arpeggiation? Apologies if that's a dumb question. I just figured if that's the case, maybe a DX7 would just bypass the extra expense and give me everything together. Like everyone else, I'm after the Lately Bass sound, and the DX7 seems to have a similar preset, 'Solid Bass'.
I dropped my TX81Z price. I've held onto it since the 1990s and finally decided to let it go. I'm ebay selling it now as refurbished with recapped PSU board. Great unit, but my studio is morphing into just VA, a little analog and maybe some Korg AI2 synthesis. Still, I want more things but studio space is the limiting factor. :-[
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search