The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Songs featuring Oberheim 8 Voice?
Old 2 weeks ago
Songs featuring Oberheim 8 Voice?

An old personal favorite of mine

What's some others? 2 and 4 voices are also welcome.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Styx - pretty much everything on Grand Illusion (4 voice) and Pieces of Eight (8 voice).

Rush - Permanent Waves to Moving Pictures.

(Ok, these are albums and not specific songs, but pick most anything).
Old 2 weeks ago

I think a 4 Voice made the bass part in here based on info read in this thread...
http://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewto...43940&start=45

Sounds like one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"Pat's solo" in Shadows and light by Joni Mitchell.
Lyle Mays plays an 8voice backing Metheny's solo. It's on the live dvd. Marvellous
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Structures of Silence is an ob 8 masterpiece.
Old 2 weeks ago

8 Voice doesn't get much play but it's in there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

And maybe you have seen that video on Youtube of Olafur Arnalds and Nils Frahm at Nils' place, recording an improvised session (CD: Collaborative Works).
At some point Nils puts his hands on his 4 Voice...epic
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Oberheim Four Voice was used in the intro to Human Nature for the polyphonic portamento.
(source: Steve Porcaro)
Old 1 week ago
Oberheim 4 and 8 Voice used on Brothers Johnson songs: Strawberry Letter 23 and so much more of their 70’s material. That whole album is full of tasteful early Obie parts.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0bdLdTJdKI
Also on others of their records
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x4FCs4p9oqA
Does anyone know if the synth on Shake Your Groove Thing and Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel an Oberheim Poly? The latter has some obvious poly parts.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

On the Raven album by the Stranglers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I wasn't in to synths yet, but I was into Weather Report and I was spellbound by the beginning of this song.

There is nothing like the sound of an Oberheim:

.... and live. There is nothing like Jaco either!

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Doobie Brothers sported a 4 voice for a bit in the wild. I can't tell you what song it was used on. I never could figure that out. I think they just had one just to have one because they were making the big bucks?

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Sorry if it’s already been mentioned, but Prince was a big fan of Oberheim synths. They’re all over his late 70’s and early 80’s work.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Bochum welt used a 4 voice or an 8 voice on all his tracks. I can’t remember which
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
Structures of Silence is an ob 8 masterpiece.
yes, OB-8, not 8-voice!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Bill Payne of Little Feat toured with an 8 voice in the late 70s. It's all over their live album Waiting for Columbus.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
yes, OB-8, not 8-voice!
*dies of online embarassment
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Who can forget the late, great Pete Namlook’s project that used the 4 Voice extensively? Imaginatively entitled “4Voice”, it ranged from full-on bangers to some classic ambience:

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Patrick Moraz played an 8-Voice on The Moody Blues Long Distant Voyager. He is credited with using it on "The Voice", "Gemini Dream" and "Veteran Cosmic Rocker". It was likely used on other tracks from the album.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Here’s some more Zawinul. The ob is the only polysynth in the rig here—it’s on the piano in front of him, with two Arp 2600 keyboards on the Rhodes to his left; 2600 brains behind him.

The bassline at the beginning is the Oberheim, also the synth brass later in the song.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

^madman!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
The Doobie Brothers sported a 4 voice for a bit in the wild. I can't tell you what song it was used on. I never could figure that out.

McDonald said it was also used on “What a Fool Believes,” along with a CS80. Might have been Bill Payne playing it. They sure had nice toys in the ‘70s.
Old 1 week ago
Geddy Lee used one in Rush from Hemispheres until Moving Pictures timeframe. Mostly playing high string parts directly on the keyboard or triggered via custom interface to his Taurus pedals. Not too exciting, but he does get some more interesting usage on Circumstances (middle solo), La Villa Strangiato (opening chord / lead fills - he noodles around a little more on live versions), and Jacob's Ladder (polyphonic portamento chords).

La Villa was posted above, so here are the other two:

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobdude View Post
I wasn't in to synths yet, but I was into Weather Report and I was spellbound by the beginning of this song.

There is nothing like the sound of an Oberheim:

.... and live. There is nothing like Jaco either!

I thought Mr Gone was all Prophet 5?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Here are some more examples with Patrick Moraz on his custom Oberheim 8-voice double-manual:

On this piece (from his 2nd solo album 'Out in the sun', 1977), Patrick used only the 8-voice double-manual for the intro.

Later on, in 1978, before joining the Moody blues, he recorded his 3rd solo album "Patrick Moraz", and there's a lot
of Obie 8-voice in it, especially in The conflict.

Old 1 week ago

Some 4 Voice action. And what sounds like an army of wah wah pedals
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGav View Post
I thought Mr Gone was all Prophet 5?
He used a lot of P5 starting around that time, but he still used the Obie too.

In the live video of “River People” that Toobdude posted above, he’s clearly playing the opening pad on the Oberheim. That show (‘78 Offenbach) is all over Youtube, and if you watch more of it you can figure out his rig pretty easily—the P5 is living on Joe’s left, with the Arp 2600 keyboards.

Slightly off-topic, Zawinul did move away from the OB 4 voice/8 voice and toward the Prophet Fives (he toured with two) as his main poly synth...and I always felt like the music lost a little bit of magic when that happened. But the Prophet’s ability to save a lot of presets made it far more practical to gig with than the 8 voice was.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
A more recent example is Jamie xx 2015 masterpiece “In colour”
Plenty of sweet 8-voice sounds on that one.

Gosh is the first song on the album. It opens up as of 2:40 and then the 8-voice takes over.

Last edited by shasta06; 1 week ago at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Embedded video
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 View Post
Here are some more examples with Patrick Moraz on his custom Oberheim 8-voice double-manual:

On this piece (from his 2nd solo album 'Out in the sun', 1977), Patrick used only the 8-voice double-manual for the intro.

Later on, in 1978, before joining the Moody blues, he recorded his 3rd solo album "Patrick Moraz", and there's a lot
of Obie 8-voice in it, especially in The conflict.

I kept a picture of it when it was for sale several years ago. A thing of beauty it is.

Songs featuring Oberheim 8 Voice?-oberheim-8-voice-synthesizer.jpg

Songs featuring Oberheim 8 Voice?-oberheim8voice.moraz.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Songs featuring Oberheim 8 Voice?-oberheim-8-voice-synthesizer.jpg   Songs featuring Oberheim 8 Voice?-oberheim8voice.moraz.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search