The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Songs featuring Oberheim 8 Voice?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
^madman!
Incidentally, the soundtrack to the horror-flick MADMAN (1982) was recorded with an Oberheim 4-voice (amongst other synths).

Most of the theme song was done on the 4-voice, and it was also used throughout the score.

Steve Horelick's score was supposed to be released on CD a few years ago but as far as I can tell it never materialized.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
He used a lot of P5 starting around that time, but he still used the Obie too.

In the live video of “River People” that Toobdude posted above, he’s clearly playing the opening pad on the Oberheim. That show (‘78 Offenbach) is all over Youtube, and if you watch more of it you can figure out his rig pretty easily—the P5 is living on Joe’s left, with the Arp 2600 keyboards.

Slightly off-topic, Zawinul did move away from the OB 4 voice/8 voice and toward the Prophet Fives (he toured with two) as his main poly synth...and I always felt like the music lost a little bit of magic when that happened. But the Prophet’s ability to save a lot of presets made it far more practical to gig with than the 8 voice was.
Joe’s main synth was his T8 when I saw him a decade or so ago.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thought I'd start posting some movie soundtracks that feature the Oberheim 4 & 8 voice...

Falcon and the snowman (1985) - Pat Metheny group

Lyle Mays on custom modified 4-voice (actually two 4-voices) with 4 oscillators per voice with standard 4-voice cycling etc. The standard 8-voice at the time could not do this. In the first piece 'Level of deception' it was mainly used for those deep unison bass sounds (all 16 oscillators firing!) which sound absolutely massive towards the end of the track. In the other pieces the obie is responsible for the big and warm pads in the background.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGav View Post
Joe’s main synth was his T8 when I saw him a decade or so ago.
Yes. I saw his band in Oakland fairly late in his life---that was probably the T8 era; T8, and a lot of Korg. The 75 DVD concert video and the ZAWINUL doc are a great look at that rig. He had a whole army of volume pedals under there!

Re the 4 voice/ 8 voice again: There's a bunch of nice Lyle Mays OB playing (sometines multitracked iirc) on AS FALLS WICHITA, SO FALLS WICHITA FALLS. That's a synth album that's aged well, I think.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search