The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best stereo chorus pedal for bass synth
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Head
Best stereo chorus pedal for bass synth

Hello Slutzies!

I'm currently working on a live hardware electronic rig (techno/electro) and I'm looking to feed my bass synth (Karp Odyssey module) into a stereo chorus because I've always had a crush for stereo chorused bass synths (Junomania and all).

My budget is in the €150 and less bracket. I've consirered some of the Boss pedals emulations of their classic choruses (CE-2W, CE20, DC-2W) but all the demos I've heard so far haven't convinced me when it come to bass synth sounds. I've worried most of these are not meant for bassy sounds and you'd lose most of the low end and punch of the bassline.

Any opinions/advise?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoKetchup View Post
Hello Slutzies!

I'm currently working on a live hardware electronic rig (techno/electro) and I'm looking to feed my bass synth (Karp Odyssey module) into a stereo chorus because I've always had a crush for stereo chorused bass synths (Junomania and all).

My budget is in the €150 and less bracket. I've consirered some of the Boss pedals emulations of their classic choruses (CE-2W, CE20, DC-2W) but all the demos I've heard so far haven't convinced me when it come to bass synth sounds. I've worried most of these are not meant for bassy sounds and you'd lose most of the low end and punch of the bassline.

Any opinions/advise?
For me, the key to good bass chorus is being able to have a crossover frequency setting so you can pass the frequencies under say 200 without chorus. I do this in software, but you could try the EH Bass Clone:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not stereo, though.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
For me, the key to good bass chorus is being able to have a crossover frequency setting so you can pass the frequencies under say 200 without chorus. I do this in software, but you could try the EH Bass Clone:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not stereo, though.
I agree with the Xover freq, unfortunately there aren't many pedal offering such feature AFAIK. Bass Clone is out the picture indeed since it's mono.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Head
Boss dimension C

I have one that I use with a few bass synths, Minotaur, se02, etc..

You won't be disappointed. Might be above your budget tho
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
daviddever's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_cubed View Post
Boss dimension C

I have one that I use with a few bass synths, Minotaur, se02, etc..

You won't be disappointed. Might be above your budget tho
Seconded; it gets out of the way (i.e., no phasiness that would result in cancellation) and adds a nice presence to things, if that's what you're after.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Bad Machinery's Avatar
 

Chorused Juno bass sounds thunderous without any futzing with multiband processing though. Boss CE-1 is very close to the Juno sound, and works well with line level sources, but possibly outside of your budget. There's an interesting CE-1 clone from a builder in Poland on Reverb atm (I have no direct personal experience though.)
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_cubed View Post
Boss dimension C

I have one that I use with a few bass synths, Minotaur, se02, etc..

You won't be disappointed. Might be above your budget tho
I've come across this one. They pop up quite affordable on the second hand market every now and then. Might keep an eye on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Machinery View Post
Chorused Juno bass sounds thunderous without any futzing with multiband processing though. Boss CE-1 is very close to the Juno sound, and works well with line level sources, but possibly outside of your budget. There's an interesting CE-1 clone from a builder in Poland on Reverb atm (I have no direct personal experience though.)
I've seen that one, was quite tempted to get it but he's not a company and only a 1-min demo on Youtube, so I'm not quite confident in paying the asking price.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 

This one is more expensive but worth checking: https://fromelelectronics.com/products/seraph-deluxe. It is a souped-up Dimension D in a pedal and works great with 80s Roland sub oscillators-type sounds
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.colt View Post
This one is more expensive but worth checking: https://fromelelectronics.com/products/seraph-deluxe. It is a souped-up Dimension D in a pedal and works great with 80s Roland sub oscillators-type sounds
Faceplate is quite ugly, and yeah too pricey for me. Thanks for sharing.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
The Stereo Clone Theory from EHX is great, but a bit noisy.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
If you want shimmery stereo, the DC-2W. If you want syrupy chorus with fake phase inverted stereo, the MXR Stereo Chorus is great with line levels and has a bass shelf button.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump