The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
K-pop: An unexpected source of inspiration . . .
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
there was j pop
which took off much before the koreans got in on it.
j pop definitely had it's good moments. Still my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk7ad-6Ir6Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
Sounds like the beginning of one of those PENTHOUSE LETTERS
magazines I'd read in the early '80s when I was like 13.
Ha! Ha! Ha! To add an insult to injury and make things even more unbelievable, the event actually happened in front of the penthouse. I don't even remember what clothes i was wearing the girl smiled ear to ear. I swear to you. True story. But i also learned something i couldn't believe. Coming from such high tech country i expected space suits and high tech cyborg gear in their apartment. I couldn't be more wrong! They are like... a person you meet in a remote village. I expected it be like Bladerunner stuff! Their country is like 50 yrs in front of the rest of the world! But they were so ... simple and basic. It's unbelievable and i hope i'm not sounding rude... i just don't understand it.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
I remember the word back then was "K-Pop is COMMINNG!" I don't believe there has been a single breakthrough hit in N.A 6-7 years later . . .
The genre seems surprisingly popular here in the US (although you'd never know it). My GF's 13-year-old niece heard me listening to Blackpink the other day, and she said, "Hey, you like Blackpink?" It turns out she's a super-fan of K-pop.

Also, I work on a national broadcast TV show, and we seem to interview K-pop boy band, BTS, every chance we get, this just tonight. With a running time of only about 19-21 minutes for a half-hour show (less commercials), we only air the super-famous, so the fact that our show runs BTS stories is a sign of their huge popularity here (though, I've personally never heard their music):

Members of BTS on the Jingle Ball 2019 press-line last night.

"In April, BTS became only the third group in 50 years to have three number one albums on the Billboard 200 charts in less than 12 months, joining the ranks of The Beatles and The Monkees. The next month, BTS became the first group in Billboard history to spend five weeks at number one on the Billboard Artist 100 chart . . . " —CNN
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Good idea to find some new inspiration. Does anyone recommend specific albums to track down that are fairly recent K-Pop or J-Pop ?
i can't recommend many albums because a lot of the albums have tracks that are really skippable, a few ballads, a few tracks that were rejected by western artists, but they often have really good title tracks. these days a "comeback" or release is just an EP or a 6 tracks album, that seems to the the trend anyway.

but i would recommend Red Velvet '"The ReVe Festival' Day 1" if you want to hear something that was considered a bit out there for (mainstream) kpop.

i have been listening to it since 2012 or so, as i liked listening to tracks where i couldn't understand the lyrics, but they had good melodies.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
lot's of suicides , platic surgery , depression etc..
But I gues the end user only want to see and hear pretty chicks and bubble gum melodies
Exactly.
That is why i prefer Jpop / japanese idols.
Of course i am not saying that it is completely free of all the things you mentioned there, but still - a very different vibe.

Yeah... I get that most would prefer the first girl and her singing, but it does nothing for me even if i know she is great...

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
That is why i prefer Jpop / japanese idols. Of course i am not saying that it is completely free of all the things you mentioned there, but still - a very different vibe.
It makes sense. Many of the popular dances / choreography / anime graphics originate from there. But then you have copycats from other countries which i won't name who alone get millions of views. Typical ratio i still 1:10 in favor of originals. But the copycats are doing damn good as well. Don't want to name anyone, with a bit of youtube search one can learn a lot about this subject. In general, it usually starts in Japan, then moves elsewhere. In some cases copycats don't change titles, and maintain original Japanese title in performance which is fair in a way. This is a rather sensitive topic if we talk certain countries and who copied who and who stole from who. I hope this thread won't turn into the can of worms in that regard, if it does it will be most likely ... sent to ozone.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search