The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Machine MIDI
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Drum Machine MIDI

Hey all,

I’m new to music production/recording and was having trouble recording my drum machine via MIDI into Logic. I have my USB midi interface connected from both the midi out/in of my Roland TR-505 directly to the USB port on my Mac. I also have the input from the 505 going directly into my Apollo Twin interface. I can successfully record and playback the drum machine sounds in logic but when I unplug the drum machine I can’t hear the drum sounds/midi that I just recorded..

Any help would be appreciated as I’m a noob and really don’t have a clue what I’m doing...

Thanksssssssssssssss
Old 1 week ago
I mean ... we cannot see your setup and you've given us very few details - so we are reduced to guessing.

Plus, if you are new at this, you need to spend a lot of time working things out stepwise, trying things in baby steps changing just one variable at a time, reading, watching instructional videos and learning your tools. This takes years of practice and experience, so just jumping into trying to configure and achieve a dozen things at once will leave you wondering why something went wrong most times you do it.

Here's some almost random guesses.
[1] You got the MIDI out. You got the audio back in and had monitoring turned on. But you forgot to record the audio.
[2] You recorded the audio, but you still have monitoring turned on for that track and so are hearing the input on your interface rather than what you recorded.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

When you say you unplug the 505 and can't hear the sounds anymore, it sounds to me like you have recorded midi (which would be playing the sounds on the drum machine on playback) rather than audio, which is why there's no sound when you unplug.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search