The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Used jp 8080 or system 8?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Used jp 8080 or system 8?

Are they similar?

Wanted an opinion.

Not sure what RPS is compared to the reg sequncer on the System 8?

Soundwise which is better?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajor Hill View Post
Are they similar?

Soundwise which is better?
First of all, thanks for a post that's not about Behringer....

The 8080 and S8 are very different synths (although both are digital, obviously).

The 8080 (6U rack mount) has has a very "modern" late 90's sound whereas the S8 (I still have one) is effectively a software controller to house Roland's vintage synth recreations of the late 70s and early 80s (Jupiter 8 (umm yeah), Juno 106 (not so much) and the JX3P) with the ability to add a few other plug in's like SH-2, Promars, etc.

It probably makes a fine controller for Roland Cloud.

That said, the S8 native engine is pretty unique (although decidedly different than the 8080) and even with only 49 velocity-sensitive keys has a pretty good interface and sounds nice on its own.

In today's market, though, I'm not sure that the juice is worth the squeeze unless you're completely in love with the native S8 engine on its own (which is pretty powerful in terms of waveforms, FM, filter options, etc.), and it's a good player's synth if you like real time control.

If you're seriously considering between the 2, I'd probably get the 8080 and use VST's or Roland cloud to check the vintage Roland box.

Not sure that I'd want the 8080 as my only synth though and the System 8 does cover a lot of (Roland) ground.

HAGWE!

Greg
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
First of all, thanks for a post that's not about Behringer....

The 8080 and S8 are very different synths (although both are digital, obviously).

The 8080 (6U rack mount) has has a very "modern" late 90's sound whereas the S8 (I still have one) is effectively a software controller to house Roland's vintage synth recreations of the late 70s and early 80s (Jupiter 8 (umm yeah), Juno 106 (not so much) and the JX3P) with the ability to add a few other plug in's like SH-2, Promars, etc.

It probably makes a fine controller for Roland Cloud.

That said, the S8 native engine is pretty unique (although decidedly different than the 8080) and even with only 49 velocity-sensitive keys has a pretty good interface and sounds nice on its own.

In today's market, though, I'm not sure that the juice is worth the squeeze unless you're completely in love with the native S8 engine on its own (which is pretty powerful in terms of waveforms, FM, filter options, etc.), and it's a good player's synth if you like real time control.

If you're seriously considering between the 2, I'd probably get the 8080 and use VST's or Roland cloud to check the vintage Roland box.

Not sure that I'd want the 8080 as my only synth though and the System 8 does cover a lot of (Roland) ground.

HAGWE!

Greg
thank you for responding I appreciate the info.

So the system 8 is very appealing to me because of its a sequencer (which from i can see) is the best seq on a va or analog synth to date

the jp 8080 had a realtime phrase seq which im unawre of what it is or how it works
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Having had an 8080, as well as currently owning a System8 I can tell you the System8 is a far nicer synth. It’s one of my favourite synthesizers ever.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
thank you for responding I appreciate the info.

So the system 8 is very appealing to me because of its a sequencer (which from i can see) is the best seq on a va or analog synth to date

the jp 8080 had a realtime phrase seq which im unawre of what it is or how it works
I don't use sequencers much but, surprisingly, my favorite sequencer in my my current synth arsenal just happens to be in the $200-ish Korg monologue (go figure) - Worth the price of admission on its own if you are OK w/ mono-only.

And I agree w/ drxcm:

The System 8 is a great synth - If I could only have one synth, it might be the S8 - But given all the other synths I have, it's more likely to be the first to go.

Greg
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have both the System-8 and JP-8080. Hands down the better synth is the System-8 and it's squeezing out the Jupiter-6 as my all time favorite. The S8 formant and side-band filters are an endless source of "mad-scientist" fun. The only thing the S8 can't do is the weird filter aliasing and artifact noise that only first gen VA synths are capable of doing. The S8 sequencer records control changes so it's like the JP-8080's control sequencer plus more.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Having had an 8080, as well as currently owning a System8 I can tell you the System8 is a far nicer synth. It’s one of my favourite synthesizers ever.
From all the research Ive been doing even if the system 8 is a VA its STILL feature rich and its capabilities are only thwarted by a few things
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
I don't use sequencers much but, surprisingly, my favorite sequencer in my my current synth arsenal just happens to be in the $200-ish Korg monologue (go figure) - Worth the price of admission on its own if you are OK w/ mono-only.

And I agree w/ drxcm:

The System 8 is a great synth - If I could only have one synth, it might be the S8 - But given all the other synths I have, it's more likely to be the first to go.

Greg
I have looked at the minilogie xd and its sequencer as well but the system 8 reminds me of my tr8s button layout which i love

an by "other synths" do you have a dsi rev2?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasan View Post
I have both the System-8 and JP-8080. Hands down the better synth is the System-8 and it's squeezing out the Jupiter-6 as my all time favorite. The S8 formant and side-band filters are an endless source of "mad-scientist" fun. The only thing the S8 can't do is the weird filter aliasing and artifact noise that only first gen VA synths are capable of doing. The S8 sequencer records control changes so it's like the JP-8080's control sequencer plus more.
when you mention formant etc and then the fact that it has fm and effects it very closely resembles a nord architecture almost too which i used to have ( a nord lead a1)

you're right about first gen VA's
Old 2 weeks ago
I own a System-8. It's my least-favorite synth. Grab a $200-off Korg Prologue instead. Or, save up and buy a Super-6.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I own a System-8. It's my least-favorite synth. Grab a $200-off Korg Prologue instead. Or, save up and buy a Super-6.
Need a sequencer the prologue would be a paper weight lol.

the UDU looks amazing but way too far down the line

any explantion on why you dont like it?

Ive had a rev2 and a nord lead a1. from many many vids i just somehow connect with the system 8's sound.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
. . . any explantion on why you dont like it?

Ive had a rev2 and a nord lead a1. from many many vids i just somehow connect with the system 8's sound.
The S8 has a lot of fans—I'm just not sure why. Sure, it may nail the classics' sounds in the middle of the filter, but as a VST-in-a-box, it just can't produce that hairy-edge analog filter-grunge. Maybe I'm dumb and don't know how to unlock its secrets, but to me it sounds dead and lifeless next to my true analogs and even my more capable VAs. Of course, YMMV. If you're in the US, I have a mint-condition S8 with aluminum side-panels I'm probably ready to dump.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've owned/own both, and the JP was definitely of its time, imo. Lovely synth and aesthetically great.

The S8 is a lump of plastic, but having said that, this weekend it's in my car on the way to the studio with me alongside my Pro 2, and I'll let you guess which one is more convenient to move around...

The S8 to me, personally, is a lovely synth. The native engine alone can cover a lot of ground. Smooth strings and then FM clangorous techno is what I'm generally using it for, and it sounds great. Magnificent sweet spot, and it really does have a sound of its own.

It is VA so if you want 100% perfect analog recreation, maybe reconsider.

But the engine, alongside the Plug Outs give as close to the best analog emulation you can get. Personally, FX aside, it's easy to get it sounding nigh on like those synths it emulates. The 106 especially. It's bang on.

For me it's a no brainers. It offers so much more.

And the sequencer is also great. You can effectively turn it into a drum machine also with the parameter locking sequencer functions and some twiddling.

There are better synths out there, but given your described requirements, I'd recommend it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Sold JP-8000, bought System 8, no regrets.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

the s8 is excellent. very satisfying to play, you can't always say that about every synth. it has real clarity but also good depth for a poly. the range of sounds you can get on the s8 engine is pretty amazing. the FM and filters elevate it way above simple VA and because of that it is hard to get bored of it.

this "VST in a box" crap perpetuates because it has a software version. never heard that about other VAs.... but hands down the worst thing about VSTs is the lack of interface and the s8 has one of the best interfaces available and for a VA - or even not just for a VA most people recognise it sounds impressive. a lot of people have retired their analog versions of the plugouts it has onboard because it sounds so good it is lightweight modern and reliable.

a real shame roland gave it a face only a mother could love, those green lights are truly hideous specially considering the 8080 looks amazing even today. the 8080 is tempting because of this and nostalgia but the s8 hammers it sound wise. people saying it sounds lifeless sound to try something like the gaia, that is lifeless. you can go too far with liveliness or analogness and end up with an impressive sounding, useless in real world scenerios synth, a bit like the ob6 which sounds amazing and special, but not really musical or useful.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
The S8 has a lot of fans—I'm just not sure why. Sure, it may nail the classics' sounds in the middle of the filter, but as a VST-in-a-box, it just can't produce that hairy-edge analog filter-grunge. Maybe I'm dumb and don't know how to unlock its secrets, but to me it sounds dead and lifeless next to my true analogs and even my more capable VAs. Of course, YMMV. If you're in the US, I have a mint-condition S8 with aluminum side-panels I'm probably ready to dump.
i AM!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
I've owned/own both, and the JP was definitely of its time, imo. Lovely synth and aesthetically great.

The S8 is a lump of plastic, but having said that, this weekend it's in my car on the way to the studio with me alongside my Pro 2, and I'll let you guess which one is more convenient to move around...

The S8 to me, personally, is a lovely synth. The native engine alone can cover a lot of ground. Smooth strings and then FM clangorous techno is what I'm generally using it for, and it sounds great. Magnificent sweet spot, and it really does have a sound of its own.

It is VA so if you want 100% perfect analog recreation, maybe reconsider.

But the engine, alongside the Plug Outs give as close to the best analog emulation you can get. Personally, FX aside, it's easy to get it sounding nigh on like those synths it emulates. The 106 especially. It's bang on.

For me it's a no brainers. It offers so much more.

And the sequencer is also great. You can effectively turn it into a drum machine also with the parameter locking sequencer functions and some twiddling.

There are better synths out there, but given your described requirements, I'd recommend it.
Bit of a confession I used to own a jp 8080. got rid of it because i didnt realize just how much i loved its sound until it was too late like a bad break up I was careless.

The s8 is how i rather work now though. with a built in sequencer so that i can tweak whilst it plays a melody etc. I also need something that cuts into the mix. I have a force and a tr8s and im one of those who LOVES the hypesynth.
Analog recreation only in the sense that if i can add eq instead of subtracting
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubez View Post
the s8 is excellent. very satisfying to play, you can't always say that about every synth. it has real clarity but also good depth for a poly. the range of sounds you can get on the s8 engine is pretty amazing. the FM and filters elevate it way above simple VA and because of that it is hard to get bored of it.

this "VST in a box" crap perpetuates because it has a software version. never heard that about other VAs.... but hands down the worst thing about VSTs is the lack of interface and the s8 has one of the best interfaces available and for a VA - or even not just for a VA most people recognise it sounds impressive. a lot of people have retired their analog versions of the plugouts it has onboard because it sounds so good it is lightweight modern and reliable.

a real shame roland gave it a face only a mother could love, those green lights are truly hideous specially considering the 8080 looks amazing even today. the 8080 is tempting because of this and nostalgia but the s8 hammers it sound wise. people saying it sounds lifeless sound to try something like the gaia, that is lifeless. you can go too far with liveliness or analogness and end up with an impressive sounding, useless in real world scenerios synth, a bit like the ob6 which sounds amazing and special, but not really musical or useful.
and thats the sad thing holding me back...the look.

Even th asm hydrasynth looks better lol.

The jp 8080 is a ravers dream and juts looks pretty still in its blue orange way lol.

But can the jp 8080 jam like the s8 app. not. it does have a TON of arp patterns but none you can make on your own from what i gather yet a browse of the mnaual says something about inputting notes?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search