The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for something to pair with MPC2500 for minimal techno/ambient
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Looking for something to pair with MPC2500 for minimal techno/ambient

Hi all, looking for some recommendations for something to pair with my MPC2500 for minimal techno/ambient music to give it a bit more of an organic feel.

Currently using the MPC with a Strymon El Capistan and I'm liking the direction things are going, but am struggling with getting the right feel for pads and 'glitchy' background effects. I'm looking to also add an external reverb to the setup (Eventide Space is looking like the top runner at the moment), which might be enough to fill up the sound, but was hoping for some more hands-on musical recommendations.

I've been looking at the Volca FM as a low budget option, even looking at the Digitone if I really want to stretch my budget, but am happy to hear any other options. Would prefer a smaller footprint.

Musical inspiration comes from stuff like Jan Jelinek, Loscil, Actress, A New Line (Related).

Also realize that maybe the MPC isn't the greatest tool for this kind of stuff, but I'm slowly getting used to the workflow, not sure if I really want to change that up at this point ...

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 2 weeks ago
Synth Wise you could stay low funds and grab a few bargains from yesteryears.
Large:
Korg Trinity/Triton Rack (Use CC from your MPC to modify sounds)
Korg Prophecy/Z1/Radius/R3 harder to edit but wonderful.
Small:
Audiothingies P6/MicroMonster

For Effects, the Zoom multi stomp pedals are fantastic and inexpensive! I have the Bluetooth and CDR.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

My favourite ambient synth is the korg wavestation. They've got a 50% off atm!

True steat deal if you ask me...

https://korg.shop/korg-collection-wa..._store=english
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Stick with the 2500. They are great once you get practiced. Consider installing jjos if you haven't already, too. A blofeld is my choice of synthy companion for mine.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omng View Post
My favourite ambient synth is the korg wavestation. They've got a 50% off atm!

True steat deal if you ask me...

https://korg.shop/korg-collection-wa..._store=english

Funny, Korg Wavestation is our favorite for happy hardcore,
gabber and Jungle!

If you get an Akai s1100 you can use your MPC to trigger the S1100 and be in heaven. Really great effects.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks all for the recommendations, the Blofeld is something that has been on my radar for a really long time.

I scored a great deal on an Eventide Space, so I'll be adding that soon.

I'm also looking at the OPZ for this purpose, anybody have any thoughts?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Dunno man, I'd have to really love the opz to spend that amount on it, personally I don't think it's worth half what they ask but that's me, only you can decide really

Blofeld is a demon, excellent for more than synth sounds, percussion and general tones available are brilliant , desktop is small footprint too.

Got an iPad or iPhone? Ever heard of mersenne? Paid a few quid for it and for unique FM style percussion and synth tones it's brilliant
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yeah, it's definitely not as capable of a synth as the Blofeld, but seems like it might be easier to work with, this demo caught me by surprise:

https://youtu.be/ghY8naYY51Y
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki_cz View Post
Yeah, it's definitely not as capable of a synth as the Blofeld, but seems like it might be easier to work with, this demo caught me by surprise:

https://youtu.be/ghY8naYY51Y
blo is dead easy to work with, multi timbral too so if you are using mpc which is good with midi........

yeah cool vid and not saying the opz isn't a good little tool, their stuff is cool for people that like it, it is boutique and priced as such i was just sharing my opinion
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I think Blofeld is a perfect match for OP's purposes. It's such a chameleon synth and despite the limited interface, it's still pretty good for rolling your own sounds. Plus it just screams ambient.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search