The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Let’s be thankful for the synths we have and not always want new ones
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I tell you what can be quite a GAS-killer, IOS Thor.

It has so many osc modes, including wavetable & CZ stuff...3 filters, oscs as sources in the mod matrix...Waveshaping, sequencer with parameter modulation.

It is nice to use it to work stuff out whilst lounging around, ideas for my hardware (not that any of my hardware pieces do EVERYTHING Thor does, but I have some version of every part in hardware) or just as a cool sound for a track in its own right.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

At some point it boils down to plain greed...

I have more than my share but I want more, why? Because Im a greedy synth nerd!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm pretty happy, besides the odd freaky good deal & that Damn Prophet VS.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

On the one hand, OP is right. We should thoroughly enjoy and utilize what we have.

On the other hand, the very nature of technology is that it changes and new things are always coming along, and that's a big part of what makes synthesis so exciting. It's not to say that we're somehow discontented with what we have. It's just that the new developments are always so amazing and enthralling.

The only real shame is if you have amazing gear and don't fully use and appreciate what it does before dropping it for "the next new thing."
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I am mostly influenced by money burning a hole in my pocket, SNOS (Shiny New Object Syndrome) and occasionally thinking there is a tone I can't get with what I have. Usually the later reason, is just my mind - justifying a new purchase. :D
Attached Thumbnails
Let’s be thankful for the synths we have and not always want new ones-more_gear.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I am guilty too of GAS... but I've just gotten back into the saddle a year or so ago and want to learn about all the newfangled synth toys out there now, and want to try every one of them. Since stores that stock them are hard to come by, about all I can do is acquire them myself as money permits, use them, add more, maybe sell off some of the ones I don't gel with, etc.

In my previous incarnation (2007-2009) I bought and sold a number of synths before settling on a setup I kept unchanged until 2013.

Eventually I'll settle down and my setup will become "stable" for years, as I find the gear that's just right for me, but I haven't gotten there yet.
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Crazy stuff is made. It's pronounced "modular".
Yes true, sadly I just can't afford to get into that.. besides I really think companies could make more interesting gear while whittling down features compared to a $3000 modular box of tricks.
Imagine if make noise could build a synth with a touch keyboard, a o-coast, and some of the features they have came up with in their sampling and effects all in a stand alone for around two grand? I would totally buy that...
I really don't want to spend $3500 for the make noise experience though, or half a grand for a tiny taste.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Synth hoarding is a serious problem.

But on a more serious note, I saw this somewhere and thought it bears repeating (I tweaked a little)

I AM THANKFUL...

FOR MY SPOUSE EVEN WHEN WE ARGUE, BECAUSE THEY ARE WITH ME AND NOT SOMEONE ELSE.

FOR THE TEENAGER WHO IS COMPLAINING ABOUT DOING CHORES, BECAUSE THAT MEANS THEY ARE AT HOME & NOT ON THE STREETS.

FOR THE TAXES THAT I PAY AND JOB THAT CAN DRIVE ME CRAZY, BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I AM EMPLOYED.

FOR THE MESS TO CLEAN AFTER A PARTY, BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I HAVE BEEN SURROUNDED BY FRIENDS.

FOR THE CLOTHES THAT FIT A LITTLE TOO SNUG, BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE ENOUGH TO EAT (MAYBE MORE THAN ENOUGH!)

FOR MY SHADOW THAT WATCHES ME WORK, BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM OUT IN THE SUNSHINE.

FOR ALL THE HOUSEWORK AND YARDWORK I NEED TO DO BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE A HOME.

FOR ALL THE COMPLAINING I HEAR ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT, BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

FOR THE PARKING SPOT I FIND AT THE FAR END OF THE PARKING LOT, BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM CAPABLE OF WALKING AND AM BLESSED WITH MY OWN TRANSPORTATION.

FOR MY HUGE ELECTRIC BILL, BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM COOL IN THE SUMMER AND WARM IN THE WINTER.

FOR THE LADY BEHIND ME IN CHURCH THAT SINGS OFF KEY, BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I CAN HEAR, AND I HAVE FREEDOM OF RELIGION.

FOR THE PILE OF LAUNDRY AND IRONING, BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE CLOTHES TO WEAR.

FOR THE ALARM THAT GOES OFF IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS, BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I AM BLESSED WITH ANOTHER DAY TO DO WITH AS I PLEASE AND (GENERALLY) THE ABILITY TO DO IT.

FOR WEARINESS AND ACHING MUSCLES AT THE END OF THE DAY, BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM WILLING AND ABLE TO WORK HARD.
Old 1 week ago
I am totally DONE buying new synths! That's it! No moar synths! Of course, that's after, I get a Fantom 7, a Xerxes, and a Poly D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I blame the renaissance and the incredible synth design maestros, just as I am beyond thankful for it and them.

Damn, this is a great time for getting the synths/gearz we always wanted, THEN spending the rest of our lives making music with and being thankful for it.

Just never forget the making music or being thankful parts and you’ll be way ahead of the game, afaic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
Winners eat cheeseburgers and drink brewskis then go into their studio, see a synth and say,

"Is this my synth? I don't remember this one ... "

then they start playing it to see if it sounds cool.
And you may find yourself
Living in a shotgun shack
In another part of the world
Behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house
With a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?
Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
Into the blue again after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground
And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful wife!
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Water dissolving and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Under the water, carry the water
Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean!
Water dissolving and water removing
Into the blue again into silent water
Under the rocks and stones, there is water underground
You may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?
You may ask yourself
Where does that highway go to?
And you may ask yourself
Am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say yourself
"My God! What have I done?"
Into the blue again into the silent water
Under the rocks and stones, there is water underground
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Look where my hand was
Time isn't holding up
Time isn't after us
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Letting the days go by
Same as it ever was
And here the twister comes
Here comes the twister
Letting the days go by (same as it ever was)
Same as it ever was (same as it ever was)
Letting the days go by (same as it ever was)
Same as it ever was
Once in a lifetime
Let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjaymun View Post
Living in a shotgun shack
In another part of the world
Behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house
With a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?
And I may find myself
somewhere out of this world
And I may lose myself
Behind the keys of a large synthesizer
And I may struggle with a house
in the dark without power
I may have to ask myself,
How do I leave here?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
I couldn't care less about this gear crap, in the end.
You should not put the gear in the end. Emergency rooms are busy enough as it is. Also, I’ll venture that you could care a bit less, or you wouldn’t be on a site called Gearslutz.
Old 1 week ago
Just ordered another synth so.....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjaymun View Post

...Letting the days go by
Interesting choice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Just ordered another synth so.....
Just one?

When I think about it, there a so many new synths that I simply don't want. So, no problem making my choices. I'm a big boy now.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Just one?

When I think about it, there a so many new synths that I simply don't want. So, no problem making my choices. I'm a big boy now.
It's a big conspiracy. You realize? Just when you start to feel content with the synths you have all of a sudden a new and totally irresistible one inevitably pops up from out of nowhere. And then the contentment disappears, poof.

I think the Gay Martians are behind it!

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
It's a big conspiracy. You realize? Just when you start to feel content with the synths you have all of a sudden a new and totally irresistible one inevitably pops up from out of nowhere. And then the contentment disappears, poof.

I think the Gay Martians are behind it!

I counter your Gay Martians with differently-abled zoo goers..

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I counter your Gay Martians with differently-abled zoo goers..

See it has to be the Gay Martians because apparently none of the zoo goers seem to have survived their experience.
Unless of course their disembodied souls are somehow being channeled by the Gay Martians and they've come to some sort of pact to run the conspiracy on multiple planes. Which may indicate that GAS can plague us beyond the grave and with no physical substance to interact with we'll all walk the Earth forever incapable of satisfying our desires for new gear.
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick!
A fate worse than hell. We oughta nuke Des Moines Iowa while we still can!
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
differently-abled zoo goers..
Fixed it for you...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

My lady asked me tonight if the behringer bigD would be the last when it arrives as my Xmas present

I didn't have the heart to answer so I carried on making her beef Wellington, quietly smiling to myself
Attached Thumbnails
Let’s be thankful for the synths we have and not always want new ones-image.jpeg  
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Geting ipad in general can be a nice placebo cure for GAS. Any time you have urge to buy shiny new $2K synth, get a $5 synth on appstore.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Fixed it for you...
What did I just watched? I have no idea, but strangely I liked it.....
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

I’ll save my thanks for when I’m dead. For me, synths are about experimentation and exploration. I’ve amassed a core group that stays, but there will always be a few that drift in and out, and some software goodies that wander in like soot sprites. Plus, I picked up a UAD Apollo a few months ago, and daddy needs some plugins. For me, hooking up or installing a new synth is like going on vacation to a new city. I guess I’ll give thanks that I can do that.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Not mutually exclusive... I give thanks for the synths I have and intend to get more...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
My lady asked me tonight if the behringer bigD would be the last when it arrives as my Xmas present

I didn't have the heart to answer so I carried on making her beef Wellington, quietly smiling to myself
My wife asked me if I’d be OK with buying our own gifts this Christmas. I did my best to pretend that I was a bit disappointed, but it made sense. (she just wants to travel and enjoys the research part)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

To quote the noted philosopher, David Lee Roth, "I don't have a drug problem, I can afford it."
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Really only opened this thread to say..

No

Then read op's post
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search