The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What exactly goes Thru and what goes Out...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
What exactly goes Thru and what goes Out...

Hello People, since i cant find anything in the forums so i'd thought i'd ask...
My system consists of a TR-505, Midi Out to a Quadra Thru, from there into 3 Mother32's. I have a Impulse 49 and would like to play my Mothers (on the respective Midi channels 1,2 &3) with it, but also keep the midi sync going. And this is my problem. I figured I could go from the TR-505 into the Impulse "In", and since it doesnt have a Thru I had to use the Out... to go into the Quadra Thru, and from there going into my Mothers. An easy question is why wont this work? The QuadraThru's Midi LED isnt blinking showing me its not recieving anything from the Impulse... Clock, Midi Note On/Off... nothing.
Ive tested the Impulse buy plugging it straight into the Mothers, (Out to In) one by one and they all work directly connected on different channels etc.
I was hoping that Id at least get the Midi Clock signal to pass through so I could time the sequencers, LFO's, Start/Stop...etc...
Many thanks to anyone that can help...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I think usually MIDI Out only sends MIDI data that the device itself is creating, so in your set up the Impulse isn't creating anything to send out. Try putting your Thru after the 505 then one output to the Impulse and others to the Mother-32s. I might be wrong but worth a go
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think you may be looking for a setup like in the picture below. What you need to use both the TR-505 (clock) and the Impulse 49 (notes) to control the Mothers is a MIDI merger with at least two inputs.

What exactly goes Thru and what goes Out...-midi_setup.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
What exactly goes Thru and what goes Out...-midi_setup.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks so much for your input, i really appreciate it...
Bollinja, I would have thought that the Impulses data would have been merged with the TR505's and then out to the Quadra. It seems thats not the case. Anything (like the TR505's data) seems to be stopped in its tracks at the Impulse. I believe your right about the Out Port... I wanted to play the Mothers with the Impulse, so i would think that without the Out Port of the Impulse not connected to anything it wont go anywhere... Unless im misunderstanding you...Ill give it a go.
Dr. Justice, I think your onto something. At least with the merge of the TR505s data and the Impulses' it might be the way to go.
Although, I just tried a straight connection from the Impulse to the QuadraThru then split into the 3 Mothers and it doesnt seem to be working... not sure why yet but ill have to keep trying... Thx Guys!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Does the Impulse have enough voltage to power the Quadra Through?
Is the Thru red light active?
Some midi outs do not supply the +5V or +3.3V the Quadra needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessic View Post
Thanks so much for your input, i really appreciate it...
Bollinja, I would have thought that the Impulses data would have been merged with the TR505's and then out to the Quadra. It seems thats not the case. Anything (like the TR505's data) seems to be stopped in its tracks at the Impulse. I believe your right about the Out Port... I wanted to play the Mothers with the Impulse, so i would think that without the Out Port of the Impulse not connected to anything it wont go anywhere... Unless im misunderstanding you...Ill give it a go.
Dr. Justice, I think your onto something. At least with the merge of the TR505s data and the Impulses' it might be the way to go.
Although, I just tried a straight connection from the Impulse to the QuadraThru then split into the 3 Mothers and it doesnt seem to be working... not sure why yet but ill have to keep trying... Thx Guys!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcppp View Post
Does the Impulse have enough voltage to power the Quadra Through?
Is the Thru red light active?
Some midi outs do not supply the +5V or +3.3V the Quadra needs.
That’s interesting you ask that. I just a moment ago tried to just plug the Impulse into the Quad then out to the 3 Mothers to see if it worked and no light! Nor would it seem to be sending any midi data to play the Mothers.... disappointing.
Thx for your reply hcppp!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

From the MIDI SOLUTIONS web page.

The following products have been reported NOT to provide power to the MIDI Solutions MultiVoltage products:

Novation Impulse keyboards
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s interesting you ask that. I just a moment ago tried to just plug the Impulse into the Quad then out to the 3 Mothers to see if it worked and no light! Nor would it seem to be sending any midi data to play the Mothers.... disappointing.
Thx for your reply hcppp!
Make sure you get a (not MIDI) powered MIDI Merge box. I'd use a powered thru box too, to be on the safe side (you can get by as long as it does work, of course). MIDI-powered MIDI boxes are a liability, in this age of 3.3V MIDI gear and not least a trhu box which is asked to provide the current to 4 current loop outputs, from the current of one input (MIDI signalling is using a current loop).
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Make sure you get a (not MIDI) powered MIDI Merge box. I'd use a powered thru box too,. to be on the safe side (you can get by as long as it does work, of course). MIDI-powered MIDI boxes are a liability, in this age of 3.3V MIDI gear and not least a trhu box which is aked to provide the current to 4 current loop outputs, from the current of one input (MIDI signalling is using a current loop).
Thx DrJustice, for your help. I understand what your saying. Have you any powered MIDIMerge boxes yourself? Any Recommendations?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcppp View Post
From the MIDI SOLUTIONS web page.

The following products have been reported NOT to provide power to the MIDI Solutions MultiVoltage products:

Novation Impulse keyboards
hcppp, thx for your help. I immediately checked out MidiSolutions website after you posted this and was quite disappointed with what I read. I have an email into them right now to see if their PowerAdapter that is supposed to supply power when there is none. thx again...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thx DrJustice, for your help. I understand what your saying. Have you any powered MIDIMerge boxes yourself? Any Recommendations?
I'm using a homemade thru box, and I have an old M-Aaudio MIDISPORT 8x8 S as a combined merge/split box. Those are a bit archaic though

Kenton has all sorts of MIDI boxes that should survive WW III, but you may able to find something cheaper. Of course your MIDI boxes are important parts of your rig and I'd go for quality there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
I'm using a homemade thru box, and I have an old M-Aaudio MIDISPORT 8x8 S as a combined merge/split box. Those are a bit archaic though

Kenton has all sorts of MIDI boxes that should survive WW III, but you may able to find something cheaper. Of course your MIDI boxes are important parts of your rig and I'd go for quality there.
Great. Thanks so much. Unfortunately, living in Canada, it seems the only way I can order one is through their website. And between currancy conversion and shipping it will be almost double. At least I know how to do it now so thank you for your help!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Midi Solutions is a bit cheaper at Moog Audio out of Toronto or Montreal.
But whether they will take a while to get in stock for this item.
Direct from Midi Solutions is the most expensive option.

You have to weigh time over money.
Good luck!

Quote:
Great. Thanks so much. Unfortunately, living in Canada, it seems the only way I can order one is through their website. And between currancy conversion and shipping it will be almost double. At least I know how to do it now so thank you for your help!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search