The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good poly synth choices for an avant-garde, post-punk band?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
PS if OP gets say a P12 or a Hydrasynth or a Peak and then has $1-200 left to spare st the end, I can totally recommend an odd ball digital synth to use alongside it for extra weirdness, if that’s needed.
A nice outboard plate reverb with modulation might get a lot of things in the ball park.
Old 1 week ago
I think you would really like Native Instruments' Straylight plug-in instrument. It's currently 50%-off through December 9, 2019 ($99USD). The first thing that came to my mind in hardware is way over your budget: Black Corporation Deckard's Dream. Never played a Prophet 12, but I think that'd be good match (as others have recommended), and less expensive (used), for your chosen genre.

Edit: Oh, I see you already made your decision. The Rev2 certainly has its die-hard fans, but I never got along with it personally (returned mine, twice!). I found it too brassy with a narrow sweet-spot (but in the right hands can sound really good).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think the raw brassy quality is useful when you want synth sounds that blend well with guitars. Especially post punk often uses synth sounds that are more brash and raw than fat and warm.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmarshall View Post
This was a super helpful thread, thank you everyone.

I’ve ended up with a Prophet Rev2, with a decent return policy, which is more or less what I was expecting.

I’m assuming I’ll keep it, but am still planning to compare it with a P12 if I can find one locally, on the off-chance the crazy Wavetable stuff really clicks with me.

Anyone know any good synth stores in NYC?
I've heard good things about Rogue Music and Control, but haven't been. Reviews on Armens are decidedly mixed. If you don't mind trekking to NJ, Three Wave Music in Hawthorne is ****ing amazing. Gobs of used/vintage gear (some of which is pricey), but plenty of current stuff as well... he reconditions a lot of what he sells, and does repairs as well. It's worth going just for the goosebumps the first time you walk through the door.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Oh, I see you already made your decision. The Rev2 certainly has its die-hard fans, but I never got along with it personally (returned mine, twice!). I found it too brassy with a narrow sweet-spot (but in the right hands can sound really good).
I’m not fully committed; I haven’t had a chance to try the Prophet 12 yet, but the Rev2 was the best synth I’ve tried so far, outside crazy impractical things like the Moog One.

I’ll need to try it in my studio for a few days and see if that bright, brassy tone fits nicely or not.

(As a side note, I absolutely hated the Prophet 6 and OB6 - go figure?)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Trent and friends tour with a Prophet 12.
And Radiohead with a Rev2!

What’s tricky about all this is that (mostly) I’m not a big “traditional” synth guy. Most of the synth driven music I really dig is in that modern dark, techno territory - but those sounds don’t necessarily translate well to what I’m doing.
Old 6 days ago
try to get a emu vk-6
Or a Roland XP30 or such, Korg Triton etc.
Never can go wrong with a D50 or DX7

The last thing you want to do is to get a modern synth for postpunk sound imo
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic View Post
try to get a emu vk-6
Or a Roland XP30 or such, Korg Triton etc.
Never can go wrong with a D50 or DX7

The last thing you want to do is to get a modern synth for postpunk sound imo
When I say post-punk, I don’t mean I’m cloning Joy Division or the Fall or Gang of Four or whatever.

I love those bands, but their sound is largely shaped by the gear they had at the time. It’s not something I think is super worth replicating - it’s their composition and aesthetic that’s awesome.

As a personal principle, I think it’s best to be careful about emulating specific sounds from specific periods. Much better to take the aesthetic, and see what you can create using whatever tools are most practical and accessible now!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
And Radiohead with a Rev2!

What’s tricky about all this is that (mostly) I’m not a big “traditional” synth guy. Most of the synth driven music I really dig is in that modern dark, techno territory - but those sounds don’t necessarily translate well to what I’m doing.
Yeah, I hear the 08 all over later Radiohead and other Yorke projects.

As someone with a bunch of Sequential synths, I can’t really say what one I’d get if I had to get only one. The 12 is so deep and potentially gritty and weird with its tuned feedback, FM, AM, etc. The Pro 2 has a very similar engine, but mono/paraphonic, but the filters are amazing and can be routed in parallel or series, or anything in between. The Prophet 6 is just a big fat sweet spot that can also get pretty aggressive, but not too much depth to it. They are all so good!

You’d think that with all of that I’d be satisfied, but I’m buying a REV2 as well. I miss those buzzy DCOs and mod sequencing. I’m just lucky that I don’t have to choose one. Good luck!
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
When I say post-punk, I don’t mean I’m cloning Joy Division or the Fall or Gang of Four or whatever.

I love those bands, but their sound is largely shaped by the gear they had at the time. It’s not something I think is super worth replicating - it’s their composition and aesthetic that’s awesome.

As a personal principle, I think it’s best to be careful about emulating specific sounds from specific periods. Much better to take the aesthetic, and see what you can create using whatever tools are most practical and accessible now!
OK, misunderstood it then.

Get a Prophet 12 instead :D I got one and its a very good sound sculpting machine.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
This was a super helpful thread, thank you everyone.

I’ve ended up with a Prophet Rev2, with a decent return policy, which is more or less what I was expecting.

I’m assuming I’ll keep it, but am still planning to compare it with a P12 if I can find one locally, on the off-chance the crazy Wavetable stuff really clicks with me.

Anyone know any good synth stores in NYC?
Control which is off the Graham Ave L stop

Main Drag off the Bedford L

Rogue Music on 30th in Manhattan
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldog View Post
I've heard good things about Rogue Music and Control, but haven't been. Reviews on Armens are decidedly mixed. If you don't mind trekking to NJ, Three Wave Music in Hawthorne is ****ing amazing. Gobs of used/vintage gear (some of which is pricey), but plenty of current stuff as well... he reconditions a lot of what he sells, and does repairs as well. It's worth going just for the goosebumps the first time you walk through the door.
ThreeWave is Doctor Sound that was once on Mercer and then moved to Broadway.

Japanese dude. Excellent repair.

Armen worked at Rogue doing repairs and then opened the synth museum. It’s hard doing business with him. It’s a weird setup.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerface View Post
ThreeWave is Doctor Sound that was once on Mercer and then moved to Broadway.

Japanese dude. Excellent repair.

Armen worked at Rogue doing repairs and then opened the synth museum. It’s hard doing business with him. It’s a weird setup.
Yeah I called Armen’s on Friday to see if he had the P12 in store and he yelled at me and hung up .... so no. Not buying from him.

My Rev2 arrives on Tuesday. I’m going to sit with it for a couple of days and compare with a P12 (Rogue has one) - and return / swap if I prefer the P12.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I’m not fully committed; I haven’t had a chance to try the Prophet 12 yet, but the Rev2 was the best synth I’ve tried so far, outside crazy impractical things like the Moog One.

I’ll need to try it in my studio for a few days and see if that bright, brassy tone fits nicely or not.

(As a side note, I absolutely hated the Prophet 6 and OB6 - go figure?)
I had the OB6, P6 and Rev2 side by side in my studio for about a year. Prior to this I had a P08.

I think you made a good choice.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah I called Armen’s on Friday to see if he had the P12 in store and he yelled at me and hung up .... so no. Not buying from him.

My Rev2 arrives on Tuesday. I’m going to sit with it for a couple of days and compare with a P12 (Rogue has one) - and return / swap if I prefer the P12.
The guys at Rogue are great. Known them for decades. Always a good deal there. They know their synths, too.

Rogue was on the 10th floor of the building that Downtime was once in, btw.

Maine Drag has a lot of synths on the floor for messing with if you’re over that way.

There’s always B&H and Sam Ash on 34th st & 9th which is fairly close to Rogue (30th and 7th).

Armen’s store is packed but it’s such a bizarre business. It’s never clear what he’s selling and the prices are always a little high.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Well, a little late, but I was going to recommend the JD-XA and M Audio Venom. The Venom can be a toxic little creature, ba dum tsh.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Just noting that Warren Ellis, Nick Cave’s compangion for songs, production & sound, records in the studio and performs on stage with Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds with a good ol’ microKORG on his laps (I saw it live, few times).

Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spybar View Post
Just noting that Warren Ellis, Nick Cave’s compangion for songs, production & sound, records in the studio and performs on stage with Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds with a good ol’ microKORG on his laps (I saw it live, few times).
Warren Ellis is a ****ing madman. I believe the newest album (Ghosteen) isn’t purely MicroKorg; but the synth stuff they’ve used earlier is dead simple.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
I want the Rev2 as well, but considering the JD-Xa. It’s my Christmas purchase, so I still have some time to think on it. Please follow up on your experiences with the Rev2 and if you’ll decide to keep it.
Spent a day with it so far, and here are my thoughts.

Firstly, this is the second synth I’ve owned that feels like an instrument (the first was my Moog). I grew up with pianos, violins, trumpets and guitars - all of which have a certain gravitas and elegance to them. Something that’s always bothered me about most synths is that they feel more like consumer electronics than instruments, and that makes it hard for me to take them “seriously”. This has gravitas; excellent keys, nicely muted colour scheme, solid components, etc.

Controls are intuitive. I’m accustomed to fairly deep synths like the Virus, and while this is nowhere near as complex, it’s still deep enough that I’m not feeling constrained like I did on the Prologue. The interface design is solid, but not as inspired as maybe some more modern synths might be.

The sound is fantastic. The brightness initially seemed like a weakness, but it’s growing on me, and is sculptable with the filter. I’m finding it easy to find sounds I like quickly and efficiently, dramatically more so than on my various softsynths, which seem to take more fiddling and finesse. I’m impressed that even fairly simple sounds are really kinda magical, which I suspect will help with productivity long-term.

I’m missing FM and Wavetable a little, which is why (if I can find one anywhere) I want to try the P12.... but that’s also something I might add with a little digital module down the line.

Overall it has a pretty specific sound - very atmospheric, trumpety and kinda majestic, but without the cheesy vibe I usually associate with those terms. I haven’t tried to get distorted sounds or basses out of it, and I suspect I’ll miss my Moog for that stuff.

Anything you’re specifically interested in? I could go on all day.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Nice to hear that you are happy with it! Please report back after a while when you have used it for sometime!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Huh. This thing actually takes distortion really well. Guess the lighter, thinner oscillator tone is easier to work with than a big, beefy Moog oscillator.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Spent a day with it so far, and here are my thoughts.

Firstly, this is the second synth I’ve owned that feels like an instrument (the first was my Moog). I grew up with pianos, violins, trumpets and guitars - all of which have a certain gravitas and elegance to them. Something that’s always bothered me about most synths is that they feel more like consumer electronics than instruments, and that makes it hard for me to take them “seriously”. This has gravitas; excellent keys, nicely muted colour scheme, solid components, etc.

Controls are intuitive. I’m accustomed to fairly deep synths like the Virus, and while this is nowhere near as complex, it’s still deep enough that I’m not feeling constrained like I did on the Prologue. The interface design is solid, but not as inspired as maybe some more modern synths might be.

The sound is fantastic. The brightness initially seemed like a weakness, but it’s growing on me, and is sculptable with the filter. I’m finding it easy to find sounds I like quickly and efficiently, dramatically more so than on my various softsynths, which seem to take more fiddling and finesse. I’m impressed that even fairly simple sounds are really kinda magical, which I suspect will help with productivity long-term.

I’m missing FM and Wavetable a little, which is why (if I can find one anywhere) I want to try the P12.... but that’s also something I might add with a little digital module down the line.

Overall it has a pretty specific sound - very atmospheric, trumpety and kinda majestic, but without the cheesy vibe I usually associate with those terms. I haven’t tried to get distorted sounds or basses out of it, and I suspect I’ll miss my Moog for that stuff.

Anything you’re specifically interested in? I could go on all day.
Hi, have you tried turning the resonance all the way up and then doing audiomod (FM) on the filter? That’ll get you some clang.

Modulate the osc shape whilst doing this for different harmonic structures. Perhaps envelope the filter to taste.

Crossfade two layers over time using VCA envelopes or LFOs to get wavetable like motion. Pick a glassy sustained sound and a more muted one.

You can totally get digital-like tones out of a DCO synth.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

DSI synths seem to share quite a lot of architectural commonalities, there's useful stuff in this:

https://stimresp.wordpress.com/tempest-recipes/
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Overall it has a pretty specific sound - very atmospheric, trumpety and kinda majestic, but without the cheesy vibe I usually associate with those terms.
Not surprising, Dave’s synths and choice of filter make for “brassy” sounds.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Not surprising, Dave’s synths and choice of filter make for “brassy” sounds.
I love that sound. It’s intense and aggressive.

The REV2 is a beast!
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
PS if OP gets say a P12 or a Hydrasynth or a Peak and then has $1-200 left to spare st the end, I can totally recommend an odd ball digital synth to use alongside it for extra weirdness, if that’s needed.
Oddball digital synth recommendations much appreciated!
Old 9 hours ago
3bc
Gear Maniac

Rev2 is a very versatile synth. Great for the weird, avant-garde, atmospheric, as well as classic 70’s / 80’s bread and butter synth sounds. About the only thing it seems to really not do a great job of is big, earth shattering bass sounds. But frankly for $200 at guitar center you can easily add that with a behringer model D.
Old 14 minutes ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oddball digital synth recommendations much appreciated!
M Audio Venom... it's not very much loved and doesn't cost much...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search