The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Monopoly
Old 26th November 2019
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

The only factor holding me off from buying a Poly D.

Guesses on what that might call it?

The Bonopoly?

or maybe the U2?
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

I guess they want to run off with everyone's intellectual property. How very Chinese.
Old 26th November 2019
Here for the gear

yes, YES, come to papa.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
I guess they want to run off with everyone's intellectual property. How very Chinese.
I’m not a behringer guy, I own nothing they make, but I don’t get this. The monopoly went out of production before I was born. My parents hadn’t even met when it was in production.

There is some irony to your signature line, btw.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, though.
Old 26th November 2019
Others in their trademark application...
Blue Marvin, Kobol, Polykobol, Polivoks, Synthex, Trident, Quadra, Source, Prodigy, Logan, Pro-16, Pro-800
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

It wouldn't make sense to file a trademark for a name unless the old one had expired.
It isn't Behringer's fault if Korg no longer cared about the term.

Behringer is making synths based on vintage and classic synths from decades ago.
Synth lovers have been begging Roland, Yamaha and Korg for decades to reissue classic analog synths from the past...the answer.......crickets.

I don't fault Behringer for recognizing the demand, and the big 3 have no one to blame but themselves.

Analog synthesizers were a niche market and all but boutique creators were the only ones left carrying the torch.
We have Dave Smith to thank for the resurrection of analog products on a large production basis in my opinion.
He took a chance, while the Big 3 sat on the sideline. Dave had more to lose financially and it was a risk, but he gave us the Prophet 08 and it was a big success.

The big 3 had more resources but still chose not to enter the analog market. The way they approached demand for analog reissues and their response bordered on arrogance towards those who kept asking for analog.
So if it's true they allowed their trademark to expire and didn't check first, bad on them. And I'm a Korg lover.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I usually agree with much you say, but on this occasion I beg to differ. I have always wanted a Monopoly, but the prices are wildly out of sight now.

Korg have toyed with us asking whether there would be interest, but nothing came of it. Tbh. I doubt anything will.

I would be very interested in a Behringer version (with perhaps a few improvements thrown into the bargain), even more so than the Poly D.

The Monopoly is a wacky oddball synth. I'd rather have something close to it, than never experience it again.

Just sayin
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

I believe sir Flat now has a smile about a kilometer wide.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I believe sir Flat now has a smile about a kilometer wide.

If they ever do a Trident, you may hear a small explosion in the far distance
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

...from too much gas being passed?
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
...from too much gas being passed?
Old 26th November 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post

If they ever do a Trident, you may hear a small explosion in the far distance
They trademarked it.
It's as likely to happen as a monopoly.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, please
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are broken records considered IP? You’ve been spinning one for awhile now.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
They trademarked it.

I think I heard gasses coming from flat's direction.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Uli is the Bill Bellicheck of synths

Dude is relentless and so much winning
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

I thought the only guy that is winning was Charlie Sheen.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
They trademarked it.

Quote:
I think I heard gasses coming from flat's direction.
I'm not asking much Uli (if you are reading this)

Brident. Marc frei

Don't care if its 4 octaves. Similar format to the OB-6 size. Get the Flanger right and that huge majestic sound and its insta-buy from me. One of the most powerful rich sounding (and under-rated) analog synths ever made.

Maybe you could also add a few choice tweaks & features to the synth section to give it the chance it deserved to give the Jupiter 8 a run for its money.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Synth lovers have been begging Roland, Yamaha and Korg for decades to reissue classic analog synths from the past...the answer.......crickets.
There is a conspiracy that there was an embargo on production of affordable classic analogue poly synthesizers to curb creation of evil music. With time, the number of working synthesizers would have reduced to such amount where only elites could indulge themselves in sculpting electricity.
It was okay to produce digital synths though, as that doesn't sound the same as voltage shaped by analogue circuits (certain parts of brain don't get stimulated).
But since a week or so ago (the famous Model D vs Diva thread) everything changed. Turns out, brain can be "fooled" and the whole master plan of the elites is in tatters. It's now okay to do cheap classic analogue poly synths.
The second take is that if everyone gets to have a classic analogue poly synthesizer, it will become a fad.
I wonder what is going to get an embargo next...

Old 26th November 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not asking much Uli (if you are reading this)

Brident. Marc frei

Don't care if its 4 octaves. Similar format to the OB-6 size. Get the Flanger right and that huge majestic sound and its insta-buy from me. One of the most powerful rich sounding (and under-rated) analog synths ever made.

Maybe you could also add a few choice tweaks & features to the synth section to give it the chance it deserved to give the Jupiter 8 a run for its money.
oh but will it be a poly or a para?
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh but will it be a poly or a para?

Both. The Trident uses elements of both (I think)
Old 26th November 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:

Both. The Trident uses elements of both (I think)
It will be a fun GS thread.
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I believe in order to protect intellectual property wrt trademark you need to show that you're actively defending your trademark; it's part of the threshold for whether something is a valid trademark.

If they're not maintaining the trademark then that test fails.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Uli, if you are going to have a go at the Trident, I would be happy for something like this (You could possibly use the DM12 chassis)?

Behringer Monopoly-brident-mk3.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Old 26th November 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uli, if you are going to have a go at the Trident, I would be happy for something like this (You could possibly use the DM12 chassis)?

If they go and produce a Trident, it would be a shame to be one octave short. C'mon, if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing properly.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love the creativity and vision you have, but for goodness sake those keys?
did someone grow this in a garden?
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
If they go and produce a Trident, it would be a shame to be one octave short. C'mon, if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing properly.
Hmm, i'm just being realistic. Trident is not a hugely popular synth, so I suspect if they did it, they would do a simplified version to keep the price right.

i.e. I would prefer a 4 octave, than nothing sort of thing.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
I love the creativity and vision you have, but for goodness sake those keys?
did someone grow this in a garden?
It was the only pic I could find at the right sort of angle. I wasn't going for a masterpiece. Just the general idea.

(might have forgotten to turn off the transparency tab in windows paint too )
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds like the Poly D is pretty close already:
" The Korg Mono/Poly is a mono-polyphonic analog Synthesizer that was manufactured from 1981 to 1984. It features four voltage-controlled oscillators, a 4-pole, self-oscillating lowpass filter, several modulation capabilities, and offers paraphonic playbility (pseudo polyphony). Further, it has 1 VCA per voice, 2 ADSR envelopes (filter, amp) and two LFO’s with individual rates."

I'm not getting something though - 4 osc. go into 1 filter, and then out of the 1 filter to 4 individual vca's?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search